Sam 07-Feb-23
JTreeman 07-Feb-23
t-roy 07-Feb-23
KHNC 08-Feb-23
KHNC 08-Feb-23
BowJangles 28-Feb-23
BOWNBIRDHNTR 01-Mar-23
03-Feb-23
Been retired a couple of years and am checking off a bucket hunt list each year. Did an antelope hunt in Wyoming last year, going back to WY for elk this September and am researching hunts for the next few years; one of which is a Coues deer hunt in 2024, 5 or 6. I've been bow hunting over 50 years, am now 62 but am a fitness fanatic so I'm pretty good shape. Suggestions? Thanks!

03-Feb-23

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
Ward's Outfitters

03-Feb-23
Coues with a bow outside the rut is a tall order. Very tall order. They live where everything seems to want to cut, jab, sting or bite you. They are not the same shade as Eastern whitetails so glassing instincts can be out of sync. Are small, too, and can disappear behind a bush when pause or bed. The challenge makes the reward all the sweeter, though. Good luck.

03-Feb-23
Ive been 5 times. Still looking for a P&Y deer. I would make sure you go during December or January. Part of my unsuccessfulness is that I have been chasing them the last several times while they are still in velvet/just starting to shed. I would say its a very tough time to chase them, but i really want a velvet buck, so Ive changed my tune to trying for a velvet mulie, and will be going back to Sonora this december for a hard horned coues.

04-Feb-23

04-Feb-23
Ward’s Outfitters

04-Feb-23

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Have archery killed 6 public land DIY Coues buck in 9 trips to AZ, to hunt the rut in January. All they are , are smaller deer compared to Mid western larger WTs, so hunt them the same. They are free ranging deer unlike farm raise WTs. but usually do not move more that a mile or so from there they were born. Find, cover, food, water. I hunt them in the thick high elevation brush,, scattered pine trees, thickets. and not on the open flat environments. They will come to calls, rattling sometimes. I have killed them from tree stand, natural ground blinds, two spot and stalk while they were following does/. Also hunt funnel area from bed to feed to water.

If you do not want to do a DIY hunt, contact Wards Outfitting in AZ

Pictured my best from a natural blind, set up between bed and water area. Killed him at noon.

04-Feb-23
I 2nd Ward Outfitters

04-Feb-23
Thanks guys!

04-Feb-23
Paul, that’s some amazing success you’ve had. Well done! Matt, who do you hunt with in Sonora?

06-Feb-23
When i killed my archery dry ground lion in Southern Az a few years ago, I saw a ton of coues in the area I was in. That hunt was first week of March. If I were to go after a P&Y Coues , DIY, thats where I would go. However, ol BOHNTR is convinced ive never killed anything larger than a rabbit with my bow anyway. So you may not want my advice. Good luck whatever you decide.

06-Feb-23
You’re not real bright there, Kenny. Stick to being a hater.

06-Feb-23
Arrow 5 Outfitters is another good option for Couse deer in Sonora. They have a great reputation.

06-Feb-23
"You’re not real bright there, Kenny. Stick to being a hater."

I dont even have to know your name to know you are an idiot that i would never hunt 5 mins around.

06-Feb-23
A Jack rabbit with a bow is quite the trophy. The second one is much more difficult. They are tuff to track on “dry ground”.

PS: Had a great hunt with Steven Ward. 5 of us in camp and we all got “P&Y” bucks.

06-Feb-23
I agree Charlie!

07-Feb-23
I shot some jackrabbits at night in California one time. Used arrows with lighted nocks. Lost quite a few arrows despite that. Finally killed two after having 20-25 of them jump the arrows or duck , or just flat move out of the way from a 300fps arrow at 20-30 yds. Fast critters. The AZ dry ground lion was my hardest ever hunt for sure. But that area had plenty of Coues in 2015.

07-Feb-23
Book with Wards, pay the money, get your buck.

07-Feb-23
So it took you 25 shots to kill 2 jackrabbits at under 30 yards!?!?! And you post it on BS to demonstrate how good a hunter you are !?!?!?!? You may want to just stop there. ..

—Jim

07-Feb-23
It WAS at night, Jim…

08-Feb-23
"So it took you 25 shots to kill 2 jackrabbits at under 30 yards!?!?! And you post it on BS to demonstrate how good a hunter you are !?!?!?!? You may want to just stop there. .. —Jim"

Jim, Where did I ever claim to be a such a great hunter on here? I was merely saying I shot at a bunch of jackrabbits and they were fast at jumping the string. What is your point? I posted an area for the guy to go check out for a Coues hunt, then posted a short story on shooting rabbits. What exactly are you trying to imply ?

08-Feb-23
"It WAS at night, Jim..."

Yes Troy, It WAS at night. Are you thinking that was not legal or something? It is not illegal to hunt at night. "California: Night Vision: It is illegal to use night vision devices while hunting in the state. Night Hunting: Allowed on private property. You may hunt all predators with the exception of foxes at night by the light of the moon without any special permit as long as you don't use any artificial light."

"Can you hunt rabbits at night in California? (1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open. (2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off."

28-Feb-23
I've had two successful spot and stalk Coues hunts with John Hedges of Outdoors Logistics. A better man behind glass you will not find!

The Hedges' are rock solid folks and they work their butts off for their clients. They do a lot of charity work with children, like getting young people introduced to the outdoors or taking disabled kids on hunts, stuff like that. They run those hunts out of their own pocket so knowing that's where some of my money is going when I book with them makes it an easy choice for me.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

01-Mar-23
I've hunted with Ward's multiple times. Always a great hunt! One year I even had the pleasure of glassing with Steven AND John Hedges....nothing was safe! Those two guys don't look for "deer", they find an eye, an ear, an antler tip or a flea on deer's butt.

I also know or have had multiple conversations with several others on this thread that all have some very good bowhunting advice. I'm not sure why one has to keep calling some others out but overall, there's some great guys worth listening to on this thread.

• Sitka Gear