Smtn10PT 06-Feb-23
Jebediah 06-Feb-23
Shug 06-Feb-23
Shug 06-Feb-23
Shug 06-Feb-23
APauls 06-Feb-23
Iowa booner hunter 06-Feb-23
04-Feb-23
I have the far side of an 80 that is wooded with a creek right along the property line. The woods between a crop field and the property line was very open but there was tremendous wind damage this winter with complete trees with root balls throughout the whole area. The deer are now bedding in there. Plus the land across the creek was heavily cut 2 years ago and there is a great trail coming out of there through a natural funnel. In short there is great bedding on both sides of the creek with the upper end of the valley on my side being a perfect spot to catch bucks scent checking, I have never hunted the area but I just scouted it and selected what IMO is a good spot. However, about 40 yards lower in the valley on my property I found a tree with marks from a climbing tree stand that appear to me to be from this season and older. Clearly it was not a one time deal and probably over multiple seasons. I don't want to screw up the area by going into it next season looking for the person. I certainly do not want anyone hunting the tree. I am considering putting a no trespassing sign on the tree so that it can't be climbed w/o removing it. Any ideas that he worked for you?

04-Feb-23
Cut down the tree.

04-Feb-23
The tree is a veneer quality northern red oak about 20" in diameter. I hate to even pound an aluminum nail in it to attach a sign. I do appreciate the response.

04-Feb-23
Stick a post in by the tree with a no trespassing sign.

04-Feb-23
The only way to stop trespassing is to catch the guy doing it. Maybe hide a camera nearby to find out who it is. Or hunt the tree yourself. You may "screw up the area" for a short while, but it may either be that, or just let the guy hunt it.

04-Feb-23
Is there a property line fence. If so, post it at regular intervals, and set up a cellular camera that will notify you of any trespasser. Conceal the camera to prevent theft.

04-Feb-23
Put a cell cam on a tree pointed right at it. Make sure it's in a metal lock box.

04-Feb-23

04-Feb-23
Obviously a sign isn't going to do a thing, the criminal will continue to hunt. Get pics and turn them in, the only way to do it. Put signs up on your property lines. Putting one up at that tree alerts the guy you know, he'll change spots. Catch him he act and have the law deal with him. Where is he parking? Find that out and you'll know when he's on the land , walk in with the law.

04-Feb-23
Put up a dummy camera, locked up and a sign. Hidden nearby, place the real camera. Most dummies who consistently break laws won't look for the second camera.

Also, be aware of how they are getting in, there has to be a vehicle (ATV, Truck, Car, etc.) involved. Again lazy trespassers usually don't walk in.

If they float over your property with a balloon spy camera, shoot it down...Ooops next thread

04-Feb-23
Obviously a sign isn't going to do a thing, the criminal will continue to hunt. Get pics and turn them in, the only way to do it. Put signs up on your property lines. Putting one up at that tree alerts the guy you know, he'll change spots. Catch him he act and have the law deal with him. Where is he parking? Find that out and you'll know when he's on the land , walk in with the law.

04-Feb-23
Agree ^^^

04-Feb-23
Cameras, and invoke a strategy of one strike and you are out, no warnings. I gave up on warnings a long time ago.

04-Feb-23
I thought this was another China balloon thread! ;-)

04-Feb-23
Post the tree and write your phone # to call you.Or if you know who then now is the time of year to nip it in the bud.

04-Feb-23
How are you going to screw up the area by going in and looking for a guy who is hunting it?? He's already in there... if its screwed up, it wont be from you going in a time or two. .

04-Feb-23
I would attach a waterproof note to the tree. That worked for me several years ago. It was a chain on stand and was gone by the next week

04-Feb-23
How long have you owned this property? How long have the neighbors owned theirs? Do you think this is the neighbor trespassing or a friend/relative of the neighbor? Are the property lines clearly visible? How well do you get along with the neighbors?

04-Feb-23
I have owned a 50% interest in the property since 2004 and obtained the other 50% in December, 2020.

By agreement, so that we would not be interfering with each other's hunts, I have not hunted the property until this last season and I have never hunted that area. If the previous hunters were returning, they would have to get through a locked gate and drive by where I stay and sleep knowing that I would recognize them and maybe their vehicles.

The property line is extremely well marked with flagging and paint due to the recent logging operation and a chance in ownership. The adjacent property owners purchased their land in 2019. My side is posted but not until 2021.

It is at least a half mile walk from the road I access from to the property line in question. It would be extremely difficult for someone to be accessing from there. The adjacent landowner comes in on a road on the far side of their property. Their house is well off of the road and I have never met them so I would not have recognized them if I have seen them. I can stop by their place next time I have a chance and talk to them.

I am concerned about messing up the area by looking for the trespasser because each time I go into the area looking for them I have to disturb the area with a low probability that they will be there. I could go a couple of seasons w/o catching them in person. A cell camera could work but each time I have tried a camera in the past I have lost a camera. However, after stealing the camera the trespasser doesn't seem to come back.

I think that whoever is doing it is either a neighbor or a friend or relative of a neighbor. They are probably parked in a private driveway and there is no way for me to tell that they are hunting based on their vehicle being there.

There are 3 landowners that would be likely candidates for hunting or providing access. All of which are several miles away by road even those they are adjacent property owners.

I am considering putting a tree stand cable lock around the tree with a posted sign plastic tied to the cable and other things like old locks on the cable that would make it difficult for them to climb the tree with a climber. If they come in one time and are then discouraged from returning, that may be the best result I can get.

04-Feb-23
Take the time to learn his hunting patterns and be there the next time he shows up. Face to face contact leaves a longer impression than a sign or a camera. Let him know in no uncertain terms, the next time you’ll prosecute to the full extent of the law.

04-Feb-23
A couple of empty milk jugs on the cable would make it impossible to climb the tree w/o cutting them off.

04-Feb-23
Could you climb the tree with sticks or a climbing stand, put a cellular camera up above the height in the tree, where the trespasser will most likely be situated? That way, your camera will be extremely difficult to steal, and you should get a quick notification that the camera has been triggered (even if it doesn’t give you a pic of his face), possibly giving you a chance to get to the site quickly enough to catch the perp.

04-Feb-23
Put a ladder stand in the tree. That will hopefully keep them out. You don't even have to hunt it.

04-Feb-23
They will hunt the ladder you set up for em, much easier than a climber

04-Feb-23
I have had guys get dropped off then picked up later so we would not see their vehicle.

04-Feb-23
The first thing you have to do is positively identify them. Then you can actually "deal" with them.

05-Feb-23
Definitely cell cam up an adjacent tree 15 feet up pointed at the suspect tree. Set to timely send. Brush it in. If he sees it he’ll have to climb down, then climb up the other tree to steal it which is easily 10-20 minutes. That’s enough time for you to be alerted and head in there.

05-Feb-23
Sometimes you just have to accept the best option of a list of undesirable ones. You've listed them just pick one.

05-Feb-23
I was a trespasser but not by choice. I was invited to hunt in another state. One of the local guys told us where to hunt. The land was open to the public based on the local newspaper. Three of were on the property. I noticed a car enter the woods so I went over to see what was going on. The man said I was trespassing and the sheriff had been called. I uncapped my muzzleloader and set it down. I told the guy I was told it was open to hunting. My friends came out and unloaded their shotguns. We gave the name of the gentleman who showed us where to hunt. The guy said that he would check it out. Based on our conduct he told us we could finish the morning but we stated we didn't want to make things any worse and promptly left. That night we got a call from the landowner apologizing for "his actions". He contacted our host and showed the newspaper article. I still feel bad as we probably spoiled the hunt of other users.

05-Feb-23
Blessed men’s problems. How to keep others out of my stuff. With ownership comes Worries.

05-Feb-23
We used to own a very small piece of woods that couldn’t be hunted legally due to various state and local regulations of debatable merit. When we bought the property I found a treestand back in those woods, and put a sign on the tree saying “please remove it.” Went back a short time later to find it gone, with a note of apology, much to my surprise. You just never know how things are going to play out.

05-Feb-23
Call the adjacent landowners. Have a civil, friendly discussion. Let them know what you found and ask if they know who might be hunting it. Let them know that you are hunting your land and can't allow others to hunt or trespass.

If one admits to knowing who is crossing their land to hunt your place ask them to let them know that they cannot hunt your place any longer and that you will be pressing charges going forward (or get their phone number so you can personally talk to them).

If all the adjacent landowners claim ignorance, just ask them to notify anyone using their land to stay off your land and that you will be pressing charges.

05-Feb-23
Is the trespasser Amish? Changes everything just so you know...

05-Feb-23
Changes nothing. Amish, Brethren and Mennonite were all the same in getting rid of them for breaking English law

05-Feb-23
t-roy, a cell camera mounted high in a tree is an option.

HDE, I am of the impression that 60% of the Amish in the USA live in the county and the adjacent counties. I talk to my Amish neighbors regularly. In the past 20 years I am not aware of them coming on my property w/o permission which I give them every year to hunt coyotes. The new neighbor is Amish and I do not expect the fact that they are Amish to factor in. They maybe jerks though. I hope not.

Thanks to everyone that commented.

05-Feb-23
Good luck, Cliff. I hope you get it resolved, especially with no issues. I can certainly empathize with your frustration.

06-Feb-23
Friend of mine had a sign on his property in Texas.

NO TRESPASSING, I OWN GUNS AND A BACKHOE

TMBB

06-Feb-23
Hang loud speakers and Blast the song Copperhead Road

06-Feb-23
Thanks Troy. I am not as bothered by it as it may seem. I feel that I will get them to stop. I would like to get it done w/o screwing up that whole property. Due to the location I have to go through a lot of property to get there. I do have other areas to hunt so it will not ruin a season.

06-Feb-23
Put up a cell cam and go in when he's for sure there.It would be better for you to go in once than him everyday

06-Feb-23
Climb 20' up an adjacent tree and place a cell cam, that way you'll get a pic of him on the way up his tree, it may be awhile before he notices your camera which will give you additional time to catch them in the act.

06-Feb-23
Just post the property, and put up a polite note on the tree. Unnecessary escalation is the last thing in the world you want.

06-Feb-23
Chain a pit bull to the tree… the dog not the singer.

06-Feb-23
Double post

06-Feb-23
Triple post

06-Feb-23
I'm definitely in the high cell cam camp.

06-Feb-23
I’ve always tried to catch trespassers so that they can be prosecuted. Letting them go with a warning or putting note on tree only causes them to be a future problem for someone else. A prosecution may make them think before doing it to someone else. The cell camera will alert you when this guy shows back up

• Sitka Gear