molsonarcher 08-Feb-23
Shiloh 08-Feb-23
molsonarcher 08-Feb-23
Shiloh 08-Feb-23
muskeg 09-Feb-23
molsonarcher 09-Feb-23
04-Feb-23
Gents,

For those who have done it, I found an option for a mt goat/ sitka blacktail deer combo on Kodiak.

My concern is the hunt is only 7 days. First day packing up to spike camp and possibly hunting along the way or upon arrival at spike camp. Then 5 days of hunting, with the last day most likely just packing back down to the lodge.

Ive never hunted goats, or Kodiak before, and I know theres a lot of “what ifs” involved.

That being said, would you feel comfortable trying to get both animals in that timeframe on one hunt, or booking 2 hunts, one for each species.

Timeframe would be early to mid October.

04-Feb-23
If weather is on your side, this wouldn’t be too difficult.

04-Feb-23
I would definitely like more time on Kodiak from the weather standpoint alone. 10 days and a couple extra deer tags would be perfect.

04-Feb-23
Sounds good but I would feel more confident if it was 10 days. Let me know if you need a partner. ??

04-Feb-23

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Goat hunting Kodiak was not easy DIY from the beach as spiking out from base camp was at least a day each way but the deer a few miles in away from the transport hunters.

04-Feb-23
Nick, weather is always a concern from what Im told.

Kota I agree, but after trying to get in touch with 5 different outfitters, this was the only one that even responded. He only does 7 day hunts. Mainly from the flight in and out schedule.

Straightshooter, these are 1 on 1 hunts for goats, or that would be an option for sure. I can share the info if you like for the outfitter.

Mathews that looks like a tough spot to stalk a goat! I was told we would be spiking out alot closer to the top than the beach. Also correct on the deer being better away from the beach and boat hunters(according to the outfitter)

05-Feb-23
Sounds good, let me know what you decide. Good luck

05-Feb-23

05-Feb-23
Who is the hunt with? Guided or DIY/drop camp? I did it this past October. I lost 2 days to weather but still got it done. After weather which is the most important item, it just depends on your goals.

05-Feb-23
Look at it as a goat hunt and a deer as a bonus. Very easy to go back DIY and get deer later if there isn’t enough time. Dont jeopardize a goat hunt worried about getting Sitka deer!!

05-Feb-23
TXCO pm sent

Straightshooter pm sent

Wildwilderness yes i agree. I am willing to forego the deer to focus on the goat, and make a return trip for deer if necessary. If i can find a longer hunt, i dont think doing both would be out of the question, but havent been able to do that.

05-Feb-23
Meant to send via PM...LOL!

05-Feb-23
Roughly the western half of the island is a registration hunt for R and NR with a two goat limit. Pending some potential changes during the board of game cycle next month anyway.

There are other areas of the state combo hunts are possible. August in Southeast might be a better bet than 5 days on Kodiak in October.

05-Feb-23
Pav, pm sent.

KB, much appreciated. Any suggestions on who to go with?

05-Feb-23
Sent you a pm.

06-Feb-23
never been there but in researching it sounds like the goat hunts on Kodiak are low elevation relatively easy access hunts, or some can be, that can be accomplished in a day or less with a gun and a couple days with bows. These don't generally appear to have the rocky mountain degree of difficulty that hunts in mainland AK and BC do. Also a lot of goats are sighted.

Is that generally accurate.

06-Feb-23
If it's an actual hunt with a bow, the least amount of time i would allocate for both species is ten days. If it's a harvest with a rifle, a week might be adequate. But, even as a harvest, you could easily be confined to town or camp for a week.

06-Feb-23
Bob

Thanks fof that. Im really thinking the same, even for a single species hunt.

06-Feb-23

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Kodiak goat country can be pretty tame, here’s a decent example of some super tame goat country where we killed two in the same day.

07-Feb-23
Looks like you could’ve walked right over to some tough country Nick……like over on the other side of that pond;)

07-Feb-23

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo

07-Feb-23
Just asking.... Im not paying for it, so its easy to say... wouldn't the outfitter let you stay for two weeks to fill all the tags...

07-Feb-23
Perhaps I’m not understanding the question. But why would the outfitter “let” you stay for 2 weeks on a one week hunt? Or are you asking if he can buy 2 hunts back to back?

—Jim

07-Feb-23
I agree with BlacktailBob.

Even if he won't provide the logistics, plan on being there for 2 weeks, whether you want to or not. You can hunt deer DIY. Focus on the goat for the guided part (which your guide will do for you automatically) because of the guide requirement.

Once you see goats, you'll forget deer exist until you've killed your goat.

It's a special place. Don't sell yourself short. You're spending a lot of money to be there. Stay as long as you can. I've only been to Kodiak once, but I would not consider going back for less than 2 weeks.

You WILL lose hunting days to the weather.

07-Feb-23
JFreeman- yes... buy two hunts. You think an outfitter would work with him on price? maybe not shooting two goats, but the extra days to fill tags...

07-Feb-23
It’s 100% weather dependent.

We shot 3 P&Y Bucks and 2 P&Y Billies in like 72 hours from being flown in 2 falls ago. We spent 7-8 days last fall and flew out without a single animal in the plane on the return trip. Sunshine vs torrential downpours and low cloud ceilings made all the difference.

I’ve hunted kodiak 10 or so times now and it’s definitely my favorite hunt up here (simply because of the number of tags in my pocket as a resident).

07-Feb-23
I guess buying 2 hunts would work if you could justify the $ and he had availability. I personally don’t think I could justify the price of that hunt for a deer or two. If he is giving me free time to “fill tags” I can buy a lot of tags!!!

The issue in my mind is if the outfitter can sell A full price hunt the next week why sell the second at a discount. The other issue with Kodiak hunts are flight schedules, outfitters really have to plan on rotating groups on same days to keep costs down.

I know it’s a sticky point on BS, but it’s business for these guys, they are trying to make a living just like the rest of us. I like Ike’s idea of paying for the goat hunt, and then hunting the deer DIY. Even that given weather and flight scheduling etc could be tricky in 2 weeks. Or you could kill the goat on the first day and a deer on the second, just never know!

—Jim

07-Feb-23
While I agree with most of the comments above the answer is simple. Schedule as much time as you can to hunt. Go hunt goats until you kill a goat or run out of time. If you kill a goat and have time hunt deer. Enjoy the hell out of every moment!!!

08-Feb-23
How much do the goat hunts ok Kodiak average?

08-Feb-23
Gents, I appreciate all the ideas and info. This is alot more than I bargained for on the front end. I made some assumptions that this would be easier to figure out than it really is.

I have talked with a few more outfitters since starting this thread, mostly recommendations from this site.

First and foremost, VERY few outfitters want to or are willing to take a bowhunter. Second, several of the outfitters websites advertise goat hunts. 2 I spoke with no longer do, and a third this is his last year, and said point blank “I want to take a rifle hunter”. He had one spot left.

As for any of the outfitters I spoke with, I still have not found a hunt longer than 7 days. They base their hunts and success rates on the rifle guys. I get it. Success sells hunts. The other factor is the flight schedule. You will be flying out on the plane the next group is coming in on. That schedule doesnt change for a solo hunter, only possibly for weather.

TEmbry makes a very good point with his 2 hunts. Nothing is given, and I believe that most of the outfitters absolutely do their best, but the weather can literally end your hunt before it starts.

Planning 2 weeks would be difficult for most, and impossible for others.

I believe Jtreeman hit it perfectly. Outfitters are running a business, and have no reason to discount a hunt or extend a stay because “I want to”, when they have zero trouble booking hunters.

Shiloh, as for the pricing, you could reasonably expect to pay between 12k and 16k for a goat hunt. Outfitters have different prices, but arent terribly far apart. I was quoted anywhere from 5-600 to 2k on the bush flights. Add tag fees, tips, etc and it adds up very quickly.

The idea that Kodiak is cheaper(I was told this by several when I started looking) than say BC or SE Alaska is just not true.

My main goal and thought was to try and get 2 species on one trip and save the expense of travel twice and a second outfitted hunt. After spending a large amount of time trying to figure this all out, I am fairly certain there is a better option out there. I just havent found it yet. I believe it will be 2 separate trips, and most likely 2 different places. Both species are ones I definitely want to pursue, and Im not giving up.

08-Feb-23
Good info Molson! I think I’d really like to do a moose/goat hunt in BC. Think I’ve finally made my mind up after a long time of thinking through it.

08-Feb-23
Shiloh thats also a thought ive considered. Never reslly wanted a moose tho, but for a litttle more money its an option.

08-Feb-23
Yeah……moose and mule deer is at the top of my list, so I am booked at Mike’s for mule deer and now looking at moose. I think a moose/goat combo would be awesome. Just a little concerned with the time and doing it with a bow, but I’m not the type that would stress over not killing something. That country looks awesome!!

09-Feb-23
You could put together a combo Goat / Deer hunt out of Ketchikan. It would take some logistical planning, but could be done. Deer in Unit #2 are huntable on a DIY type planned hunt. You could plan a hunt before or after your booked Mt Goat hunt. It would require some time alloted and travel planning between Ketchikan and POW Island. I did that type of hunt several times when I was guiding.

09-Feb-23
Thanks muskeg. While a nice idea, im really starting to talk myself into 2 trips to do both justice.

• Sitka Gear