scentman 07-Feb-23
greenmountain 07-Feb-23
TGbow 07-Feb-23
fuzzy 09-Feb-23
05-Feb-23
W

T

F

Is the point of hunting with a crossbow instead of a firearm when a firearm is a legal, no-hassle option?

For pest control on suburban Whitetails & coyotes, OK. I get it. A lot of places are not suitable for firearms, and not everyone is willing to make the (extremely) modest effort to learn to shoot a compound adequately out to 20-25. And let’s face it; if there weren’t compounds and crossbows, we just wouldn’t be able to keep the overall deer numbers in check anywhere east of about I-25 .Certainly not east of 35…. There just aren’t enough people interested in/competent with single-string bows to fill that many tags without let-off, releases and freight-cars of bait.

I’ve hunted deer in modern rifle seasons with my .45/70 (iron sights, naturally) and with my .54 round-baller and with the recurve…. simply because I enjoy shooting them. And yes, I’m talking about hunting in places where that’s a decision which is very likely to mean that you’ll have to pass up the One shot that you might be offered in a given year.

But a crossbow when you could just use a rifle?? I don’t get it. And not-for-nothin’….

Around here, Crossbows and mandatory background checks (on the same level as for a Carry Permit) are going to be The End of firearms for deer hunting purposes, which is a bit problematic, given that a lot of political fence-sitters are still OK with gun ownership for hunting purposes… But what Moron would buy a firearms small game license AND a firearms public-land deer tag AND put up with all of the hassle of submitting fingerprints to the FBI just so you can buy a box of slugs so you can hunt for a week and a half on land that’s already been hammered for 2 months by compounders and crossbow shooters when you could just buy a crossbow and an Archery tag and hunt both deer and small game on public OR private for 4 1/2 months out of the year?

05-Feb-23
I have bought alot of guns, some xbows etc. I never had to get a permit or have finger prints taken Where do you live?

05-Feb-23
In most whitetail states, the point is obvious. You get months of hunting vs a short firearms season.

Bow seasons are great. Now you can hunt them without everyone in the family needing their own bow, without the tinkering knowledge or practice required to be proficient with a bow and the advantage of not having to get drawn in the presence of a critter.

It's terrible if you want to see bowhunting thrive but great of you want to hunt bow seasons without the hassle of a bow.

05-Feb-23
The point is qualified people want to use what they like. Just like you do.

05-Feb-23
I hunt with a bow when firearms are legal.

05-Feb-23
"Some folks like em. Farmers mostly"

05-Feb-23
What Bou said

05-Feb-23
Can't speak for anyone but myself on this one. For me it comes down to time. I'm a fair shot with a trad bow but it takes a lot of practice to be hunt ready, both physically and mentally, the lever bow I'm currently shooting requires a fraction of the practice compared to a trad bow and then a scoped Xbow or gun basically zero practice beyond sight in. It comes down to time.

05-Feb-23
It's called freedom, free to use what you want. Why are there so many busy bodies bitching about what someone else uses. Use what you like and have fun hunting, worry less about others.

05-Feb-23
You can’t hunt with archery equipment in CT on public land while gun season in in effect for deer. Just one of the dumb laws up here.

But you CAN hunt with archery gear on private land while gun is open…..but you can’t use a rifle on 10 acres or less…..so you would be forced to use archery gear during gun season for deer on private land in CT. There’s your answer Corax.

05-Feb-23
What LB said --- quit your bitchen about what others use, if you don't like it ---- so what!!!

05-Feb-23
By that logic wtf is the point of buying a longbow when you can hunt with a compound?

Why play level 5 when you can get a new high score in level 1?

Why ride a bike when you can drive a car?

05-Feb-23
Why not allow rifles during bow season?

06-Feb-23
glunt -sad to say but i can see that happening -private landowners are gave permits to shoot your 2-3 deer from sept.15-jan.15 -have at it boys -lets enable all to just kill -dont worry about learning to hunt

06-Feb-23
Corax - ur probably gonna get a bunch of wtf’s with this post on an archery website. Let me add one more.

I use my compound in archery season, and in muzzleloader season, and again in rifle season. I’m in it so seldom that I forget the code to my gun safe. WTF

06-Feb-23
Is it that you think guys with xbows are going to take your deer? I hunt public and a majority of guys are showing up with xbows, and a majority of them walk out of the woods without deer. I think a xbow makes guys worse hunters, they all seem to think that since they can shoot father they plan their stand location with less thought. Whereas a guy with a longbow has to put more thought of his ambush site, as does a compgun guy. They also seem to be lazier hunters too.

06-Feb-23
I don't think success rates are any higher with crossbows.

I would prefer bow season was set aside for bowhunting. Including crossbows is proving to replace bowhunting in some states.

The things that make bowhunting hard are the same things that paved the way to have longer seasons, less crowding, easier access to tags and the special satisfaction that comes from filling a tag with a bow and arrow.

I want to see bowhunting thrive. The barrier to entry, the ongoing challenge of being proficient and getting drawn in the presence of game are good things. I welcome new bowhunters and have recruited my share over the years. I fear if we keep eliminating the hard things that bow seasons were built on that make it so rewarding instead of embracing them, we lose in the end.

06-Feb-23
"I would prefer bow season was set aside for bowhunting. Including crossbows is proving to replace bowhunting in some states."

I live in one of those states (Indiana) and the comment above is spot on. Crossbows have taken over bow season here...vertical bowhunter recruitment in this state is virtually non-existent. It's just too easy to sight in a crossbow and become lethal out to 50 yards plus within an hour...and no archery pro shop required.

Those bowhunters who are fortunate to hunt private land don't have to deal with onslaught of hunters that now participate in bow season without a bow. Those bowhunters relegated to hunting public land are not so lucky.

For those of us who actually CARE about the FUTURE of bowhunting, crossbow liberalization in bow seasons is devastating. Crossbows are killing bowhunting where I live and it has happened faster than I ever imagined. Now, airbows and muzzleloaders want a piece of "bowseason". Where does it stop? History says it won't....

This is Bowsite, right! It is disappointing to see so many posts from bowhunters that either have their heads in the sand...or just don't give a rat's azz about the future of bowhunting. Apathy is dangerous...because the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. There sure seems to be ALOT of bowhunter apathy here...a place where I would least expect it.

06-Feb-23
Every state that has high crossgun use has increased their harvest rates during bow season I bet. It's the quick easy way to hunt during archery season unless it's used due to physical impairment

06-Feb-23
I have killed wads of deer with my compounds over the years. Killed my best buck in SC last season with one actually. But, i also own a crossbow. I take it sometimes when i just want to relax and make it easy to kill a doe or whatever i decide to shoot that day. Im convinced its MUCH easier to kill with a xbow. I hunt the same stand sites with both.

06-Feb-23
Simple, bows, finger on the string, are for hunting; triggers are for killing; bow hunting was never set up for game management not so much now. The barn door was open many years back and no going back, it is a personal choice now and leave it be.

06-Feb-23
I'm just going to say it. Why would Corax_latrans get to choose the legal weapon of his choice, but somebody else is not allowed the same opportunity?

06-Feb-23
Corax, I had re read the last line of your post…. Where you’re wrong.

You CANNOT hunt deer on public land in CT with archery equipment during firearms season. So from November 16-17 or so until Dec 20th each year - all people wanting to hunt hunt with archery gear on public land where firearms are legal for deer are SOL. (Excluding bow only state land spots).

06-Feb-23
Crossbows are cool. If you want to hunt with one, go ahead. But, they don’t belong lumped in with bow season.

If a state wants a concurrent season running with bow season, that’s fine. But, they aren’t a bow and don’t belong in a bow season.

06-Feb-23
Including them created crossbow hunters. There wasn't some giant group of dedicated crossbow enthusiasts using them during rifle season before inclusion.

If rifles were allowed during bow season, the crossbow industry would take a giant hit. It's about getting into bow season with less effort, not really about crossbows.

06-Feb-23
OP was about cb in rifle season. Not bow season.

06-Feb-23
“By that logic wtf is the point of buying a longbow when you can hunt with a compound?”

You’re telling me that people are choosing to hunt with crossbows instead of firearms because they are looking to voluntarily “handicap” themselves? So a guy with a scoped, 500-fps crossbow parks himself 20-25 yards from a baitpile or a waterhole and keeps his laser rangefinder handy because he’s looking for a “more challenging ‘hunt’” than it would be with a firearm?

Yeah…. I’m not buying it.

And Blood…. Seriously? We’re supposed to feel bad for a crossbow hunter who is “forced” to use a shotgun post-rut on a 1 gun/20 acres by-lottery-only public-land unit AFTER he has been hunting that same unit with a crossbow from 9/15 through 11/15? ROFLMAO. You HAVE read the harvest report stats for those poor SOBs who don’t get drawn ‘til the second half of the season, right? Like 5% success in Shotgun B and 4% or less for ML?

When I moved out here, it was illegal to hunt Shotgun season - public OR private - with my .54 cap-lock. I don’t recall for certain whether archery gear was legal AT ALL during shotgun even on private, but I do recall that we weren’t allowed to use muzzleloaders on properties where centerfire rifles were/are allowed. I guess the DEEP was afraid that one might get away if we didn’t have repeaters….

“If rifles were allowed during bow season, the crossbow industry would take a giant hit. It's about getting into bow season with less effort, not really about crossbows.”

Sorta like how the Compound industry has taken a massive hit, right?

06-Feb-23
Corax, there’s only a handful of state land pieces that are still A and B season. 90 % of CT is a combined hunt…..and it doesn’t matter anyways…..since you can’t hunt with archery equipment on state land in CT during gun season.

BTW…..I hunt with a bow on state land bow only areas during gun season in CT…… because I want to handicap myself. Gun is easy. And I like to suffer.

06-Feb-23
Evidently I am missing something here......since when did we have to start submitting fingerprints to buy a box of slugs?

06-Feb-23
Coral/GF you seems like you would be a miserable person to be around.

06-Feb-23
“By that logic wtf is the point of buying a longbow when you can hunt with a compound?”

You’re telling me that people are choosing to hunt with crossbows instead of firearms because they are looking to voluntarily “handicap” themselves? So a guy with a scoped, 500-fps crossbow parks himself 20-25 yards from a baitpile or a waterhole and keeps his laser rangefinder handy because he’s looking for a “more challenging ‘hunt’” than it would be with a firearm?

Yeah…. I’m not buying it.

And Blood…. Seriously? We’re supposed to feel bad for a crossbow hunter who is “forced” to use a shotgun post-rut on a 1 gun/20 acres by-lottery-only public-land unit AFTER he has been hunting that same unit with a crossbow from 9/15 through 11/15? ROFLMAO. You HAVE read the harvest report stats for those poor SOBs who don’t get drawn ‘til the second half of the season, right? Like 5% success in Shotgun B and 4% or less for ML?

When I moved out here, it was illegal to hunt Shotgun season - public OR private - with my .54 cap-lock. I don’t recall for certain whether archery gear was legal AT ALL during shotgun even on private, but I do recall that we weren’t allowed to use muzzleloaders on properties where centerfire rifles were/are allowed. I guess the DEEP was afraid that one might get away if we didn’t have repeaters….

“If rifles were allowed during bow season, the crossbow industry would take a giant hit. It's about getting into bow season with less effort, not really about crossbows.”

Sorta like how the Compound industry has taken a massive hit, right?

06-Feb-23
I know a guy, who loves his crossbow. He can't use it during archery season here in Colorado, because he isn't handicap. As it should be. He can use his crossbow during rifle season, and he does. Why? Because he loves to hunt with his crossbow, and that is the only season he can hunt with it.

06-Feb-23
I'm just going to say it... who cares? Hunt with what you like and don't start threads against other hunters... no matter what your personal beliefs are.

06-Feb-23

Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
United we stand decided are season gets shorter.

06-Feb-23
And also, hunt with what you want, unless it's illegal during the season you like, then lobby and fight your way into a season set-up for gear that's harder to use.

06-Feb-23
Some people build log cabins with their bare hands, some order prefab homes... if your ego compels you to log homes why question someone their choice of dwelling? If it's their land and codes permit, none of your concern.

06-Feb-23
And if codes don't permit but I want to build what I want next to my neighbor and I lobby and battle my way to a code change, would it be ok for my neighbor to speak out?

07-Feb-23
Of course Glunt, just not on a hunting forum;0)

07-Feb-23
I have to ask. Why do we care what another hunter uses for a hunting weapon/tool ? I spend long hours in the woods hunting. I spend seconds a year actually shooting game. I am guilty too. I shoot an old sidelock muzzleloader. The new inlines with pellets and a 150 yard range seem to be cheating. I realize that the guy with the inline needs to work as hard to hunt as I do to be successful; granted he has a greater effective range. What I really worry about is a generation of folks that may come along not caring about woodlands and hunting. Putting it in to perspective I would rather share with those who value nature than have the woods changed into parking lots because folks lose the sense of value .

07-Feb-23
I have no desire to use a xbow..never owned a compound for that matter but I think it's a good thing as it allows folks that otherwise wouldn't be engaging in the hunt otherwise. The way I see it, we need more hunters today and the Xbox can be a doorway for younger folks to get involved.

09-Feb-23
TGbow same here (I did jump on the compound bandwagon for 5 years in the late 80s)

• Sitka Gear