Jaquomo 07-Feb-23
Jaquomo 07-Feb-23
whipranger 07-Feb-23
Jaquomo 07-Feb-23
Buglmin 08-Feb-23
Jaquomo 08-Feb-23
70lbDraw 09-Feb-23
07-Feb-23
I have a friend who has 23 CO elk points, has mobility issues due to a recent, now permanent foot-ankle injury/surgery, and wants to kill one good bull in her life. This would likely be a rifle hunt, preferably over ag fields or a waterhole. Her highly experienced husband and son will be along to help.

She is a very experienced hunter, having killed two bull moose, lots of other big animals, including elk. But never an exceptional bull.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

07-Feb-23
Spur Outfitters, Colorado ?

07-Feb-23
Thanks, Silver Spur was my suggestion also, but wanted to see what other ideas were out there. Silver Spur is known more for quantity than quality on the Colorado side of the border, but it would probably be a good hunt for her.

07-Feb-23

Bowboy's Link
Have you thought about Fred Eichlers Fulldraw Outfitters.

Also maybe contact Forrest.

07-Feb-23
You should check with the trinchera or hill ranch. Those are the cream of the crop.

Also the unit 40 rfw ranch, although those used to be multi ranch partnerships so not sure how that would work

07-Feb-23
Thanks Bowboy. She's not opposed to an outfitter but neither of those guys guide in units worth 23 points. She really wants a 330 or better bull to bookend her B&C Shiras moose.

07-Feb-23
What about Unit 40 guided? I would think that would be the best chance for a 330+ bull.

Fulldraw could be an option with good private land, although the points may not be needed. Pretty sure he has some great areas that would not require a lot of hiking.

Not sure that her 23 points would be enough for those southern RFW properties...

Unfortunately, although they do show up every year, a big bull in Colorado is a tall order in about any unit or area.

I would look to NM, AZ, MT, or WY for a big bull. NM is random so there is always a chance. There are some AZ options that are considered depredation hunts that they kill some giant bulls on. With her constraints, it would likely be best to go with an outfitter out of state as well - horses or elk that you can drive close and set up on.

07-Feb-23
Thanks, Tavis. She is looking at all the options, but really wants to burn those 23 points before everything goes to hell in this state, and she is in her 70s now.

07-Feb-23
The Trinchera has some mature bulls, and has good access all over the ranch. They seem to be very cooperative with residents hunting the ranch and from what I’ve heard are very helpful. I’m sure a woman with reduced physical abilities. Would get a lot of help from them. I’ve personally seen mature bulls in that area.

07-Feb-23
Sorry Lou, I just talked to them, and they are no longer enrolled in the program.

07-Feb-23
Dang, that was one of my choices too. Thanks anyway.

07-Feb-23
Well please follow up. It’s been years since I’ve been there. It’s got some good sheep too

07-Feb-23
If Wolf Springs is still in it I’d definitely go there. If the Redmond’s still own it they’re great. Big hunters themselves and wanted the public hunters to have a great experience also.

07-Feb-23
Looks like Wolf Springs recently sold for $49,000,000. Wish I'd have known it had good hunting..I might have cashed in some aluminum cans and bought the place.. (-:

08-Feb-23
Lobo Lodge out of Chama. I guided on the ranch in the 90's, and had a chance to guide on it last September. The bulls were unreal, and we didn't kill 320" bulls. the average bull was over 340", the biggest killed during archery was a 370" plus bulls. Dick Ray, Lobo Outfitters, has a ranch between Chama and Tres Piedras, ranch is loaded with bulls, and they are very selective on the number of bulls killed and the size of the bulls. Hate to say it, but the Jicarilla's Chama Land and Cattle Company is killing some monster bulls these days. The ranch butts up against Shannon's Lobo Lodge, and there is no longer any high fences in Chama. The ranches around Chama are starting to produce some real monsters now. A lot of ranches stopped killing bulls after October, are being selective on bulls, and the bulls are growing old and big!!

08-Feb-23
Anthony, is that in Colorado? The caveat is that she wants to burn her 23 points before the CPW destroys the PP system.

09-Feb-23
Is she by chance a veteran?

• Sitka Gear