Seahorse 27-Feb-23
HiMtnHnter 27-Feb-23
Pop-r 01-Mar-23
Seahorse 01-Mar-23
Missouribreaks 01-Mar-23
smarba 01-Mar-23
Seahorse 02-Mar-23
09-Feb-23
Looked back through all the threads and didn't see very much on taking a frontal on antelope. Not even that many videos on Youtube so guessing not many take them. Like deer/elk, obviously needs to be close shot (especially as much as they can jump). Any one have a pic of where to shoot them for frontal?

09-Feb-23
Every antelope I’ve ever shot over water have been frontal, their small so no real issue to penetrate bone many have went through front shoulder and exited the opposite ham they never make it far and are dead in seconds

09-Feb-23
We were sneaking up a gully when one looked over the top at us. He was 10' up and to the left of us. I aimed just left of the left (its left) shoulder. The arrow hit between the sternum and the shoulder and went up taking out the offside lung. It did go a couple of hundred yards though.

09-Feb-23

patience2spare's embedded Photo
patience2spare's embedded Photo
This was hard quartering to, complete pass thru out the offside ham. You can just barely see the entrance under the top limb pocket of my bow. Buck was drinking at 30yds and made it maybe 70yards running wide open. Was my first western big game animal and first out of state trip in 2009. Pretty special moment for me! Pete

09-Feb-23
I have a buddy who used to carry one field-tipped arrow in his quiver for thumping rabbits or grouse. I never understood why he didn't use a small game head for that purpose. Anyway, he was sneaking thru some tall sagebrush to a waterhole blind when he came face to face with a nice buck. In his excitement, he frontal shot the buck with his field-tipped arrow. It did the job. Antelope aren't too tough to kill, IMO.

Matt

09-Feb-23
I have killed quite a few pronghorns. I can't remember shooting one head on. Penetration would not be a big concern. However they are jumping little buggers. I always try and set up on water so they will most likely give a broadside or quartering shot. A lot of times a fence is one side of tank so I will set up opposite of that. I have leaned junk against part of tank to encourage them not drink there. If it is more of a water hole then tank look for tracks of where they go for water. In short I'd avoid a head on shot it if at all possible. Especially if it not really short shot. If for no other reason than they are a small critter.

09-Feb-23
I was in a blind with buck about 15 yards drinking. I drew, he raised his head, Slick Trick Viper dead center frontal, the broadhead was protruding between his nuts. He backed up 20 yards in a hurry and keeled over. Another one head down, slightly quartering to, put the arrow between neck and shoulder blade, BH came out opposite lung, he keeled over without a step. I don't think you should dismiss pronghorn as being so fragile it doesn't matter what bones are in the way of vitals, but at the same time, they aren't very big boned so as long as you know where you're aiming and have a quality head a close-range frontal shot is very feasible. Can't speak regarding doing it with mechanical heads.

09-Feb-23
I spent a few days last year trying to "finish off" a nice antelope buck that someone else had shot frontal and missed the mark. Arrow was sticking out of the front shoulder about 12" for the 2 days I was able to locate him. They aren't a big target and move fast. I understand how it happens and am not saying you shouldn't take the shot. I just really hated to see it running around with an arrow sticking out. Not a good look for bowhunting. I never was able to connect and finish the job.

09-Feb-23
Bill Allard told me to just shoot them like they don't have bones.

09-Feb-23
There's some truth to that Bowfreak, assuming you're using a solid broadhead/arrow setup. I've generally done that on the 3 bucks I've killed and all performed even better than anticipated.

09-Feb-23

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
My son's frontal went nowhere

10-Feb-23

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Didn't goooooo 20.

10-Feb-23
awesome pic midwest

10-Feb-23
I’ve taken one with a frontal shot.

10-Feb-23

Lawdog's embedded Photo
Lawdog's embedded Photo
A little more frontal than I remembered. It was only 15 years ago.

12-Feb-23
Thanks for all the replies and great to see success for many with the frontal. I looked on internet and this forum going way back, but can't find a pic. Anybody good with showing a head on pic with a dot of where to shoot? Based on Lawdog's pic (looks like it will be right in middle above the lowest brown horizontal path. Thanks to all.

13-Feb-23

bluesman's embedded Photo
Shot this mule deer with a frontal shot , it was going to run me over . Just about to jump out of the way but managed to loose the arrow .. . 55# yew longbow

Frontal not recommended , but it worked out .

13-Feb-23

Here is the location the arrow struck

Eclipse 2 blade broadhead

14-Feb-23

Drop tine's embedded Photo
Drop tine's embedded Photo
Shot this one at 30 yards as he was coming in directly downwind. Arrow was starting to come out in his groin. Ran for about 3 seconds and crashed.

14-Feb-23

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Hard quarter in front of shoulder at about 20…Went less than 40!

15-Feb-23
I shoot them quartering to or head on most of the time. I aim to the outside side of center everytime as they are SO fast and that's the way they always turn when they hear your bow so when they do you don't catch them on the inside rib cage with a terrible angle. They have to be within 20 yds! I never shoot over 25 yds even on a broadside antelope as their speed is just unbelievable. I saw one get hit on the opposite side of where one was aiming at it one time at about 30 yds.

17-Feb-23

welka's embedded Photo
Which dot - either dot?
welka's embedded Photo
Which dot - either dot?
Attempt at a pic post

17-Feb-23
I'm not sure what it is about the frontals but I just have a sick fascination with them. Love em. That no bone shot and the way the blood dumps out. Only downer is often times guts are messed up too.

17-Feb-23
Do the gutless method and you don't have to worry about it

17-Feb-23
Ditto Scoot. I'd go a hair lower with the left dot and way lower with right dot.

17-Feb-23
About a dot an a half lower than the left dot.

17-Feb-23
Here's my vote

17-Feb-23

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Green dots

19-Feb-23
Thanks for the info. Easy to remember to go just below the bottom most horizontal brown patch.

27-Feb-23
I have hunted them for over 30 years. For every guy bragging about their success, there are 20 guys sheepishly avoiding this thread. Miss that "green dot" by an inch and you've got yourself an "SBH" situation. Nothing moves faster than a pronghorn.

27-Feb-23
I have shot a couple at an angle in front of the shoulder, exit offside behind the shoulder. Just the way they come into this particular waterhole. I prefer broadside, just doesn't happen all the time. I have never shot the straight frontal.

01-Mar-23
It's definitely not to be feared like shooting an elk there. The problem is missing all together or just clipping the shoulder and no vitals as has been said their speed is unequivocal to anything we hunt in the US.

01-Mar-23
1) These threads always get a bunch of "I did it" guys. 2) You're right. It was fictional. Probably more like 1:30. If you've hunted pronghorn long enough, I don't think too many guys would disagree. 3) You're right again. I was rounding. 4)Thanks. 5) I've done it (at nearly point blank range with a solid rest and a rifle), but otherwise no.

A lack of ethics and remorse. LOL Seriously, I've pretty much seen it all and it just isn't worth it. Can that shot be done? Sure. There are a lot of guys who can do it. The problem is that pronghorn can also easily dodge an arrow any day of the week, or partially dodge it. Add to that a nearly constant wind and a hunter jacked up on a rush of adrenaline...

01-Mar-23
You can kill an animal from virtually any angle with a bow and arrow. It is the percentages and potential for recovery that matter. Guess both are a personal decision.

01-Mar-23

smarba's embedded Photo
This buck is about to be dead
smarba's embedded Photo
This buck is about to be dead
smarba's embedded Photo
Mmm...backstraps...
smarba's embedded Photo
Mmm...backstraps...
If antelope can easily dodge, then maybe we shouldn't ever even release an arrow? Or maybe we should aim for the hamblaster so when they move it's a lung hit? LOL

I'm 3 for 3: 1 direct frontal 15 yards, 2 quartering to at 25 and 35. All fatal quickly. That's with a modestly heavy arrow and cut on contact FBB. Granted I'm no expert with 30-years of experience.

02-Mar-23
Never said you couldn't make that shot, just that it can go very badly if you do.

I've been shooting a bow since 1967, have degrees in Wildlife Biology and Range Ecology, and over 30 years experience hunting pronghorn, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about, but you fellas seem to know best, so good luck in all your endeavors.

• Sitka Gear