luckychucky 10-Feb-23
milnrick 10-Feb-23
Jasper 11-Feb-23
Pocoloco 11-Feb-23
Beendare 12-Feb-23
10-Feb-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Going to Texas next month on a turkey and javelina hunt. Have killed a bunch of hogs but never hunted javelina. Will my Rage Turkey Extreme be OK for them or should I carry some fixed blade heads? Thanks and God bless!

10-Feb-23
I would use expandable's on Javelina if I used a compound. The should work great, maybe a fixed blade handy in case of a big hog

10-Feb-23

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Vortex black worked pretty well on this one a couple weeks ago

10-Feb-23
Whatever you use for deer is just fine unless you Just want to invest in new ones.

10-Feb-23
Large expandable for both in my opinion, neither one of them leave great blood trails. Ask me how I know ! ;-)

10-Feb-23
Javelina aren't very big so any broadhead will work. But I really like a large expandable for javelina to drop them as quickly as possible. When a javelina is wounded it runs for the thickest, nastiest stuff possible. In South Texas all the thick, nasty stuff has thorns. Last javelina I shot was with a Vortex 2" broadhead and the javelina ran 10 yards and tipped over.

10-Feb-23
Last one I killed was with an MAII that I pounded back straight after hitting a rock and then resharpened with the same rock.

10-Feb-23
I think anything sharp will do the trick. I used Vortex but cant say I was too worried about BH performance on those little critters. Have a great hunt!

Scott

10-Feb-23
I don’t know if I’d use the turkey Rage since it has the meat hooks on the front of it… those are designed to grab at tissue to keep the arrow inside a turkey. If you want to stick with Rages you’d probably be better off going with a regular one instead.

10-Feb-23

10-Feb-23
Good point Coondog. I’ll carry some regular expandables in my quiver as well

10-Feb-23
No need to over think it. Shoot what you shoot for any other big game. I personally like big expandables. I would probably lean away from the turkey head as mentioned above, but quite honestly think it would do just fine.

—jim

10-Feb-23
Yeah I don't like those meat hooks on the turkey broadhead. Other than that any BH should do fine on a little javelina.

10-Feb-23
an easy to resharpen fixed would make sense for all the rebound skittering across the rocks...and bone.

10-Feb-23
Have taken a bunch of javies over the years we lived in TX. Use whatever you would normally use for whitetail, hogs etc.

They're an ideal target for bowhunters.

11-Feb-23
Thanks guys!

11-Feb-23
Any sharp broadhead will do the job. Just hit them behind the shoulders.

12-Feb-23
I just shoot my same old 2 blade in a recurve…up close, more fun than with a compound

• Sitka Gear