Thornton 16-Feb-23
bigswivle 16-Feb-23
sticksender 16-Feb-23
scentman 16-Feb-23
Bou'bound 17-Feb-23
scentman 17-Feb-23
BRIBOWl 18-Feb-23
10-Feb-23
Rumours are that Milo Hanson sold his buck for 1 million dollars.

10-Feb-23
Must be a new number one out there some where??

10-Feb-23
I would love to know how much money Mr. Hanson has made off of that buck. I would think it's a lot more than 1 million before this supposed sale.

10-Feb-23

deerhunter72's Link
I was wrong, Hanson says he has made around $600,000 off of the deer. So, selling it for 1 million would make a lot of sense to me, if he needs the money.

10-Feb-23
If the world record is broken...........the value goes down significantly..............

10-Feb-23
I hunted with a guide in Alberta a bunch of years ago who is from the same town as Hanson, what a story on how that deer was killed. LOL, no idea if it was true but it was a great story.

10-Feb-23
“Hanson says he has made around $600,000 off of the deer. ”

The next one will be worth that much just on the underwear endorsements….

10-Feb-23
For that money, it would just be a deer head to me.

10-Feb-23
Get a replica made, have a million bucks and still get to look at it. Then blow the million on hunting trips.

10-Feb-23
Ain't no way I would blow a million on a deer head. If I had that kinda money it would be hookers and coke, you know like H. biden.

10-Feb-23
There are guys who will spend 3/4 million on a fancy elk tag. Or art works. Or 'the motorcycle Elvis rode during blah-blah.' This isn't much different, is it?

10-Feb-23
Who would pay that for a deer they didn't kill? SMH

10-Feb-23
I heard they ran it down in trucks and he was the lucky one that got the shot. I wish someone would hurry up and break the record because I'm tired of hearing about it. Especially when a bigger one was shot in NW KS and bigger sheds were found in Kansas and Nebraska.

11-Feb-23
Hey Thornton, get over it - Milo’s buck will always be the biggar one.

11-Feb-23
Milo was a hunter of his time.

11-Feb-23
Quote: "Who would pay that for a deer they didn't kill? SMH"

Probably because it's a unique and significant historical icon. We're not talking about a routine 140 class whitetail mount that someone might buy to hang up and claim to friends they shot it. Nobody is buying the Hanson buck to claim it's their kill. It's valuable as an historic artifact. One could ask the same question of other rarities or works of art....."who'd pay that for a exquisite painting they didn't paint" or "who'd pay that for a rare gold coin they didn't mint" or "who'd pay that for a rare classic car they didn't build"? Yes people will, because they can appreciate things rare and beautiful, and enjoy possessing and sharing them.

11-Feb-23
It’s a 30 year world record buck that still stands today. No matter the circumstances of the kill or what other deer/sheds may be bigger, the Hanson buck will be a legend forever. I definitely see someone with the money to spare wanting to have it.

11-Feb-23
Amazingly that’s not much money to a boatload of people. It will get gobbled up quickly.

The best publicly available affluence data comes from a company WealthX. By their 2020 calculations, globally there are:

Billionaires: 2,800

Ultra high net worth (>30 million USD): 290,720

High net worth (>5 million USD < 30 million USD): 2.7 million

And if someone does not like the way it was killed go do it better yourself and post a thread when you beat it.

12-Feb-23
^^^ well it was chased a fair amount.

12-Feb-23
In all honesty it's amazing the Milo buck has stayed on top for so long, there's been a lot of what if bucks out there and someday I believe one will top it... Records were made to be broken...

12-Feb-23
Probably not soon. The Hanson buck was so much bigger than the previous record-holder that it amounts to a fluke.

Many (most?) deer that get that size/age turn into non-typicals which detracts from score.

(And let's remember that B&C/P&Y scoring places a premium on certain qualities of a rack that other scoring systems do not.)

12-Feb-23
^^^^ Yup.

12-Feb-23
Rocky D wins

12-Feb-23
It’s not the greatest story on a kill, but I’m glad it’s the truth and not some contrived story. I guess Milo could have made up a story how he was watching it for years, played cat and mouse with it, spent countless hours pursuing it himself, used a particular product to call or attract it so he could get a lucrative money deal, etc. It is what it is. What’s amazing to me is that it was a relatively young deer, aged at 3.5 to 4.5 from what I’ve read.

12-Feb-23
What are the odds the next record will not have trail cam picture of it before it meets its demise

12-Feb-23
If you’ve ever hunted with the locals in that terrain, it was a very typical hunt. Conducted mostly with trucks and many times pushers. Much of that country you can watch your dog run away for a couple of days.

I lived in Alberta and hunted with some farmers who were ardent trophy hunters.

And they practiced on running coyotes year round. Mostly because all coyotes were running when you saw them!

12-Feb-23
I’d say he was a hunter of his time like rattling junkie says.

Funny thing is I’ve hunted in Sask and not much has changed lol. Every slough and bluff has a new set of tire tracks around it every day.

Was a lot more accepted in that time though.

Feels like there’s enough wealthy guys growing deer nowadays that another 4.5 year old will do it. The Hanson buck was a completely wild deer. Now you’ve got guys looking after a deers every need for nutrition and quality cover. It’s only a matter of time IMO

12-Feb-23
Some still consider the Jordan buck to be the record due to stories floating around about the Hanson buck. Then there is that Romapala story...

I wouldn't know any of them for sure as I wasn't there. What I do know is when you have a 200 inch typical near you on stand you will never, ever forget it.

12-Feb-23
Stories around the Hanson buck? The truth was told. It wasn’t a classic tale but nothing questionable. Might not be your style but hunting varies widely from one area to another. It’s still numero uno. What’s to speculate about???

12-Feb-23
Mule power is correct.

A couple years ago I was watching some home grown videos of a group of "locals" hound hunting whitetails. In the end of one, the pack of hounds literally hauled down an exhausted doe in a field. The guys walked casually up as the dogs chewed on the thrashing doe, talking about the chase. They stood around a few moments until a guy walked up, put his foot on the does head and sawed through her throat with a knife. Judging by the chatter, it was completely normal to them , but to me it was repulsive.

Milo hunted the buck like many hunters hunt deer in the Canadian prairies. Before light, the headlights appear on hill tops with hunters waiting in a favorite vantage point to catch big bucks sneaking to a "safe" spot for the day. For the rest of the day it's drive and push bush. Sometimes it's just a chance sighting while on the way home or to town. A couple of phones calls and a hunt is hatched.

Perspective and conditioning often dictates what we find ethical or moral, not any kind of science or sound reasoning.

12-Feb-23
Driving deer with firearms and organized drives has been common practice here in my home state since I was a little shaffer in the 60s.... Not particularly fawn of it (pun intended) kill immature promising bucks, but I have nothing against organized deer drives, gun or bow... It's actually a necessity to keep the overall population is check here... Its a rare buck to survive to 6 years old in my area, lucky to make it to 4... A 6 year old buck in my area either lives on a sanctuary like a golf course or preserve or something or is one cagey, crafty animal to have survived that many years of running the firestick gauntlets...

If everybody just snuck to their stand and waited all day, nobody would move deer to expose them for shots... Its the smart bucks able to survive these drives that make them witty and challenging for the bowhunter to hunt...

12-Feb-23
The buck Milo shot is a fine animal. Congrats to him. I grew up.farm hunting and drives or whatever it took style of hunting, so then pure bred city snobs I pay little attention too.

What I did pay attention too is real scoring. The Wisconsin Wilson buck beat it. I was looking at the same buck that Gordon Whittington was looking at during the time.

Politics entered B&C and it was scored as a non typical. They did not want another one from Wis.

That day I left the scoring world.

12-Feb-23
If you had the Hanson buck and the Jordan buck standing in front of you which one would you shoot? Man I love the mass on the Jordan buck! Tough call for me.

12-Feb-23
Wilson buck hands down no

12-Feb-23
Groundhunter - "What I did pay attention too is real scoring. The Wisconsin Wilson buck beat it. I was looking at the same buck that Gordon Whittington was looking at during the time"

I tried to find pix of this "Wisconsin Wilson buck" but only could come up with a huge velvet covered 44-point nontypical... Is that the buck you guys are talking about?

13-Feb-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Looking for that Wilson Buck pix, ran across this Hanson buck mount photo... Gives perspective how truly magnificent that animal really was...

13-Feb-23

Bou’bound's Link
in the big picture how many inches an animal grows and what men say is important is pretty irrelevant, but in the world where people track such things the difference between the biggest and next biggest is a big deal relatively speaking

with that said the King Buck story attached is amazing in that one person can unilaterally and of his own choice make a ruling that can't be appealed without apparently so much as an open dialogue within a peer group of experts as to what course of action may be appropriate.

Long but worthwhile read if such things are of interest to you.

15-Feb-23
I think he meant the Wisconsin "Johnny King" buck, which B&C changed the scoring rules for common points after its entry. As far as "driving" deer, I think the expression is meant to be more literal, as in driving through fences in a pickup to catch up with that buck, not just having some organized guys walk towards others...

15-Feb-23
Oh, no wonder I couldn't find the Wilson buck, thanks timberdoodle...

15-Feb-23

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
The Kansas King was bigger. My 75 year old friend that owns the 5,000 acres not too far from the ranch where it was found said he saw it 3 times before it disappeared, once at 50 yards on horseback.

16-Feb-23
Thornton - What's the scoop on the Kansas King?

"where it was found said he saw it 3 times before it disappeared"

So I assume those are mounted sheds?

16-Feb-23
Yes those were based on a set of sheds, with a repaired left side that had two tines fully broken off.

16-Feb-23
I guess. I would by it though because it appreciates. I did not realize a damn deer appreciated. No wonder people poach. I will stick to real estate.

16-Feb-23
Was the Rompola buck bigger?

16-Feb-23
Interesting... Anybody have a linky to the story?... Thanks...

What year was this?

16-Feb-23
I wonder if any high fenced breeders have been able to grow a bigger typical deer than the Hanson Buck? I’ve never seen one.

And he shot it 100% legally. That’s also why it’s so valuable.

16-Feb-23
The “general” from Nebraska is bigger than the “Kansas king”and you can’t compare sheds to a hunter killed deer and say that the sheds are really the world record, unless you are a total idiot

16-Feb-23
Nvrmd on the "Kansas King", I found an article... Just another "what if" buck...8^)

16-Feb-23
There are tons of hunters who have very large bucks on their walls that don't bother with scoring them .

Couldn't be bothered . Just enjoy them . It's the deer you should appreciate , not the hunters name .

That's a dandy , there are tons of other dandy deer no one knows about.

When you say it's number 1 , it might be #1 recorded , but maybe not all time . Still a dandy deer . I hunt for the fine venison , but these monarchs are magnificent for sure .

The guy who bought it , must appreciate the huge bucks to pay 1 million. Guessing he could afford it . Lol

16-Feb-23
I doubt there's a world record typical on someone's wall. I don't care how much people say they "hunt for venison" or "don't care about a score" when you have a deer that big the monetary value is something only an idiot would turn away. Selling the rack or rights to show a deer of that caliber would be a considerable amount of money.

16-Feb-23
I shoot something like that you're gonna need to contact my lawyer and accountant than we'll talk. ;)

16-Feb-23
JayZ... I'm not sure which rock you live under or you're too busy making rap videos, but let me tell you a tale about a guy named Mitch.....

16-Feb-23
Agree ohiobowhunter

There are a ton of deer , not in the record books. . Many don't care about it .

16-Feb-23
Sticksender- You're wrong. 2 years of complete sheds were found before he disappeared. He visited my friend's ranch a year later.

"These gorgeous 12-point deer sheds were found in the early 1990s. This buck may have rewritten whitetail hunting history had a hunter ever spotted it. There are actually two sets of sheds from this buck. The first scores 201 7/8, but it's the second set that garners everyone's attention. We can only speculate on the inside spread, but it is believed this buck would have netted a whopping 217 inches!"

The first time my friend saw it, he was moving cattle out of the tamarak and busted it out at 50 yards. The only time he saw it while hunting, he was carrying a 7mm STW but the buck was at 650 yards and my friend didn't want to mess up and wound him. He said he got the impression the buck was moving up or down the river and was not staying on his place.

JayZ- There is a world record on the wall of a ranch in Kansas that has been seen, held, and measured by one of our own Bowsiters that no longer posts on here. He is a journalist and is friends with the rancher which owns about 14,000 acres. The rancher chose purposely to not advertise the buck because he is sick of leasing and the plummeting population in his corner of the state. Those of us that know this journalist know his word is factual and as good as gold.

16-Feb-23
I have the world record non typical on my wall, I refuse to have it measured. My secret

16-Feb-23
Thornton, wrong about what? The replica you pictured is from the buck's last set of sheds that scored a theoretical 217". Dick Idol reported on these in a Dec 1994 NAW magazine article, and stated that set was missing a brow tine and G2 on one side when found, that were later restored. Sure he grew smaller antlers when younger, but that wasn't the question asked.

16-Feb-23
Highlife for the win! But ya know it ain't going to happen! ;0)

17-Feb-23
Amazingly that’s not much money to a boatload of people. It will get gobbled up quickly. And if someone does not like the way it was killed go do it better yourself and post a tread when you beat it.

17-Feb-23
Dejavu all over again;0)

18-Feb-23
I like the Mitch Ronpola bucl talk about a weird story this is a joke guys don't come unglued! It's 130 am nothing else to do.

• Sitka Gear