DonVathome 10-Mar-24
Jaquomo 10-Mar-24
Mule Power 10-Mar-24
In2dmtns 10-Mar-24
Jethro 10-Mar-24
Grey Ghost 10-Mar-24
11-Feb-23
looking for some advice here

been on three elk hunts guided montana, diy with a buddy in wyoming, and guided colorado

montana elk saw one elk first day bout 150yds, nothing after...

wyoming saw a few elk on our own and was fun, just not a great hunting match

colorado no elk, guide got turned around in the woods, couldn't call...

i have arizona and wyoming points that i am not ready to use yet, i want to keep elk hunting and really thinking i just want to go solo, that way if i strike out, it's all on me...

just think guided hunts are not for me based on what i have experienced so far

it's a big solo trip and honestly kind of nervous, but i can't get the elk bug out of my head..

just not sure what to do next

11-Feb-23
If you can stand being alone it's an easy choice. Just be honest with yourself, most folks just can't handle being alone. Me, myself, and I love being away from people due to the fact I just don't like most folks :)

11-Feb-23
Being alone should not be the issue. Realistic plans on being able to remove meat, should be a priority..... Good Luck.....

11-Feb-23
If your plan is to hunt OTC in Colorado, you may be DIY, but you're not likely to be solo. You'll have plenty of company.

Matt

11-Feb-23
Can't wrap my head around paying for an outfitter for 2 years in 2 different states and only SEEING one elk. Just seems almost impossible any outfit could be that bad.

Most all my elk hunts are solo. I suck at elk killing but I can ALWAYS find elk. There's only a handful of guys that I'd share my precious elk hunting time with and they are all experienced elk killers that are just plain fun to be around.

Pick a state, do as much research as you can, get a tag, get in top shape, get your shooting game at your very best, and go for it!

11-Feb-23
I'd suggest doing a lower cost cow elk hunt on your own to see how it goes. There's no pressure and generally speaking, cow elk are easier to pack out solo.

If it's an early season hunt, it would be wise to find a pack service or outfitter in the area you can help you get the elk on ice in a day.

I hunt solo all the time. Can spend weeks by myself, but I will admit it's more fun when you have someone you like to hunt with in camp. Either way though, I'm still going hunting :)

Cheers, Pete

11-Feb-23
Thete ain't no solo in col anymore. U can go deep or shallow. Some one will b close. When some of the serounding states get done w/their nonres laws it will get worse. But colorado is changin too. May go to all draw units. Have hunted col for 40 yrs. Gets worse evert yr.

11-Feb-23
Usually go with my adult son and daughter or my long time hunting partner, but In 2018 drew a surprise tag. I went solo DIY on a general tag in Wy driving from MI with a couple hours sleep at a rest area in Nebraska. Went 8 days with out even talking to another human other than texting my wife on Inreach. It was very hot. I limited myself to 2 miles from the road and no crazy nasty areas because I wanted to make sure I could get the meat out with out spoiling if I shot one. This limited where I could go, but I had a great time. Had a few good chances in the 14 days I hunted. I only had one morning I had to kick myself hard to get going. That was the morning I had my best chance. The the rest of the time was pretty easy to be motivated. Calling solo is the most difficult thing. Elk pin point where the calling is coming from and do not commit. My advise. Just go. I will be solo somewhere in 2023. Like you I am still sorting it out.

11-Feb-23

jordanathome's Link
Drop camp with Forest.

11-Feb-23
Not sure where you are from, but I'm from KY and have limited time, typically 7-8 days, to get out West and hunt in the Fall. From my limited experience, and what I've learned on this site over the years, you need plenty of time to find and kill elk if you are going DIY if you are an inexperienced elk hunter. For that reason, I have found it extremely beneficial to use a highly qualified outfitter/guide that can get me on elk quickly so that I have enough time to be in the elk and kill elk. Sounds like the outfits you have gone with were poor, at best. I'd either plan on spending 2-3 weeks hunting elk DIY, or do a better job of finding a highly skilled outfitter that can put you on elk quickly if your time is limited. FORESTBOWS, on this site, comes highly recommended and I would look at him for sure if you want to go to CO on an outfitted hunt. You've got plenty of time to get everything done before September!

11-Feb-23
is your request for advice where to go hunting or, how-to/if you should go solo?

sounds like you found some areas where elk are not, which is often the first step in finding where they are.

learning an area inside and out is important to having long-term opportunities and success. unless that spot in wyoming you refer to was just a dud, i'd reconsider trying again since you are somewhat familiar with it.

where? sounds like your options are OTC unless you get lucky and draw a limited entry or decide to use your PP's.

as far as going solo, yes you should. i've done it a lot and prefer it. the occasional times i have hunted with someone we almost always split-up, and either agree to meet mid-day somewhere to recap the morning hunt or, back at camp after nightfall.

don't over think it. sounds like you got enough experience to figure it out. it's hard work.

11-Feb-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Did many a DIY Elk when younger. No problem being alone. Safety first. Simple injury can be life threatening. Plan for "when you get one down". 1-how you going to pack out? Yourself or pack animal arranged. 2-keep it from spoiling along with cape if your going to mount. Camp.I had a small base set up to return to BUT if I was on elk far from camp I had gear to spend the night where ever I was at. (couple meals/water & waterproof cover to be under. It ain't the most comfortable but it's "one night" usually. I have not arrowed a lot of Elk but I cannot remember a time I wasn't in Elk. Missed several. I was never after head gear so a Cow or Spike, beware. Good luck. With todays internet & information you can decide where you want to go. One area I hunted years ago had antler restrictions ACROSS the road from where I hunted. Elk never knew the boundaries. Back in those days I also had a Mule Deer tag. I arrowed many.. Anyay, good luck & I always saw more than 1..

11-Feb-23
Id recommend giving Forest a call as well. Great people, awesome country he hunts.

11-Feb-23

Beendare's embedded Photo
Pardon the bad pic, raining, solo and he died in a bad spot
Beendare's embedded Photo
Pardon the bad pic, raining, solo and he died in a bad spot
IME, Hunting solo is a great experience. It gives me time to focus on hunting…go where I want to go, choose my strategy- no consensus. Then in the down time I focus on where I am and any positive changes I want to make.

I really like hunting with a few select guys too- either way, its all good.

I did have a rough solo elk hunt in 2013. My dad was on his last legs…and I couldnt leave with him like that. When he passed, I was in a funk. My truck was packed…but bowhunting solo just didn’t sound fun.

My wife kicked me out of the house and the long drive and then setting up in the rain was a slog. In hindsight, that solo hunt was just what I needed to set me right. The first couple days were tough…and it rained hard pretty much every day….but as I got into hunt mode…and adjusted to positive thoughts…it was a catharsis.

I recommend trying it….oh and shot a decent bull too

11-Feb-23
Have you heard Aaron Rodgers talking about doing that 3-4 days of complete darkness? The Navaho’s and others used to do different forms of the solitude thing.

I think there is something to it. It helps me get away from the noise of everyday life and focus.

Now some folks with the wrong mental attitude will drive themselves crazy…….

11-Feb-23

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I've been on numerous solo DIY elk hunts. I've never had a problem being alone and never had much trouble finding elk. Mental toughness and preparedness is just as important as physical conditioning. I've always hunted OTC, general and low to mid tier draw units. I don't agree that a DIY elk hunt is a bad idea and in most cases it's not necessary to get the meat on ice the same day. I've packed out several solo and had a handful that took 4 days to pack out. Boned out meat hanging in the shade with good air circulation will keep a surprisingly long time. I killed the bull in this photo about 4 days into a solo hunt on a low-point tag in an area I had never hunted before. I was into elk each of those 4 days and had a few close calls on bulls prior to killing this one. It took me 4 days to pack all the meat out solo and it was 2 weeks prior to my 58th birthday. Very exhausting but extremely rewarding.

I've always been somewhat baffled by those who have hunted multiple years without ever killing an elk. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If somebody has been repeatedly unsuccessful, it's time to take a long hard look at their methods and completely change the way they are doing things.

11-Feb-23
The woods - even western wilderness -is a relatively safe place to be in comparison to what we do in our daily lives. The most dangerous part of a western solo hunt is pulling out of the driveway and hitting the highway. We never think twice out getting on the busiest most dangerous roads, but somehow a secluded mountain with a few rocks, blow downs, and trees scares the crap out of people.

11-Feb-23

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
"A solo DIY elk or moose hunt in the Rockies is a bad idea."

Don't listen to that BS! I'm a flatlander from Indiana that never set foot in the Rockies until I was 40 years old. First few elk hunts were DIY with a flatlander hunting partner with no western hunting experience. I arrowed bulls on each of my first three elk hunts. My next two elk hunts were solo DIY in states that I had zero experience. Arrowed my two best bulls on those hunts (my best the Wyoming bull in the photo)...and learned I really enjoy solo DIY!

Only hunted moose once...that was a solo DIY hunt in Wyoming. Arrowed my bull on day six of that hunt...after passing a 32"ish bull on day two...and getting winded by a good 40"+ bull on day four. Had a close encounter with a 50"+ giant bull two days after I filled my tag...while mule deer hunting the same unit.

Don't let anyone lead you to believe bowhunting elk (or moose) is rocket science. The toughest part about solo DIY is AFTER the animal is on the ground. Lots of work, but well worth the effort!

11-Feb-23
OTC is tremendous preparation for success on a “better” hunt. If nothing else it will build your mental toughness and you’ll also know what to expect on an elk hunt - it’s not easy.

Hunt OTC until you can draw your better tag.

Whether or not you want to hunt solo - only you can answer that question. I’ve always hunted with someone, I enjoy the company - as long as it’s the right company with a good attitude. I’m getting to the point where my boys are both almost grown and gone though so there will probably be some solo trips in my future.

11-Feb-23
To be clear, I don't hunt OTC for elk. My first three bulls were taken in low tier (1-2 point) draw units. My two best bulls were taken in mid-tier draw units. Never have and likely never will hold out for a top tier draw unit. I like to elk hunt too much!

11-Feb-23
Groundhunter: "Being alone should not be the issue. Realistic plans on being able to remove meat, should be a priority..... Good Luck...." Bingo... I've killed a number of elk but always had a plan to get the meat out without waste. What is yours...build a fire and eat what you can...sacrificing the rest? Foresight trumps hindsight.

11-Feb-23
There are plenty of ridges you can have all to yourself in CO OTC. Yes, it's busier than it used to be but if you are willing to be flexible and relocate when lack of elk or other hunters are an issue, you can have a lot of fun.

Understandable to be a little nervous but its really just camping and hiking with a purpose. Plan out food, water, shelter and meat recovery. If uncomfortable being in remote spots alone (not abnormal), a good GPS and satellite communication set-up makes that easier.

Life is short. Trips like this will be the stuff you remember when time steals the ability to do them anymore. Don't cheat yourself out of that memory.

12-Feb-23
I always chuckle at those bring a knife and fork comments.

I am still working on eating the moose I shot 1 1/2 yrs ago- Its a LOT of meat. fwiw, making chili for the game tomorrow.

That was a good comment to have a plan for the meat. Every timeI pack one of these out solo..i say never again, then 2 hours later its forgotten. That bull in the pic above was shot at 7am…and It took me till about 10pm to get it all out. I love every scrap of elk and moose I can get- its fantastic meat.

12-Feb-23
I've been doing Solo elk hunts in a couple of states for quite a few years now.

I learn something New every year it seems.

You'll be fine,

Good luck, Robb

12-Feb-23
I was ignorant when I 1st went out West by myself, therefore not nervous. Then came the humbling, but I was fairly determined. Got lucky on year 3; a bittersweet bull because I lost most of the meat. There were some things I did wrong, but I'm not sure I would have even found that elk had I approached the situation differently.

Being alone for a bit is quite different than being ALONE. Some people are just naturally built for it, but I think for me I was just determined (at least then). I'm not sure I could do a couple weeks, but a few days I can. Again, going in, I figured that would be no problem.

The most dangerous part indeed will be the drive to your hunt. However, it makes no sense to discount the potential danger you could find yourself in. You get a serious injury on the highway, and you are likely 30 minutes from a decently equipped hospital. Get the wrong knife wound or suffer a heart attack 3 miles from your truck, and you are likely dead, regardless of that InReach you have in your pocket. I wouldn't say that is something to be nervous about, simply cognizant.

As far as strategy goes, I never really focused on calling (was never real good at it). Spot and stalk or mobile spot and stalk ended up getting me into elk. If you do plan to call your elk to you, be very mindful of setups as noted above. Something to be learned from turkey hunting if you've done that. When it comes to meat, 3 miles in near a good trail might be better than 0.5 miles in through the brush or in a hole. It's been a few years since I've gone, but most people that want to hunt from the road didn't really want to walk 3 miles in to start hunting. I didn't want to either, but I did some. That right there knocks off some of the pressure. Of course that's where you start getting into people spiking too (which I also did).

12-Feb-23
Thanks for all the great thoughts and comments... Here are some followup answers to questions in this thread and PMs....

1. well, i want to make it happen this yr, just not sure where, due to possbily spending 2 weeks in iowa, just depends if i can draw.. Wont know the results until May/June, which is frustrating when trying to plan everything..

2. OTC definitly limits options. I would not be against buying landowner tags for better hunting, just concerned about getting the wrong deal.. I think i need to get another state going.. I am 45 now, have arizona in ten yrs or so and wyoming in 2024

3. I think i can "stand" being alone.. just never did it before. Mostly "nervous" about breaking an ankle, accidental cuts, not having anyone to help out if i get in a physical situation

4. Getting meat out.. I know how to break deer down and pack out and think i can do an elk on my own, will just take a long time and then that pack out. sounds hard with buddies let a lone solo.. but i think i can handle it, just never did it before

5. C3, not opposed to a cow hunt.. Figure if i am working on it, i would like some antlers too though

6. The drive for me from PA will be brutal... I have done it a few times, definitely the worst part

7. Joehunter, thanks man...

8.. i will be planning a 2 week adventure.. 1 week is just not enough time especially with the drive..

9. Just really not interested in outfitters, especially public land outfitters

10. RonP.. I'll always listen to advice on "where" to go.. but this was more for "how/if" i should go solo, and what are some of the bigger risks i should look at for and be aware of.. Been three times so feel like i have some experience to pull from.. Just not what to do when i get a shot opportunitly lol..

11. beendare! i would be very happy with an elk like that!! congrats

12. Cheesehead, thats big advice!! If what your doing is not working, do something else.. That is the current path i am on.. its time for something else and man if i just lived closer

13. Hey Rocky, nervous just about the grand scheme of the undertaking and really about safety precautions that i could be overlooking.. i think the drive is probably the most dangerous...

14. Damn PAV!! looks like you have this all down!! Congrats on your success!!!

15. Glunt, life is short, and the time we have left gets shorter everyday.. I have wanted an elk since in HS... Never went until 2016...

16. Once i have an idea of where i am going, i will determine a plan for getting the elk out.. good advice!

17. RockyD, sorry for the delay

18. Franzen, good points..

thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!

12-Feb-23
Pyrannah, just a thought.

If elk really is the one you want, why not put Iowa off for another year and really put all your time into an elk? I assume you have killed whitetails before, and one more point in Iowa wont hurt, so if you could draw there this year you could next as well. Elk tags are much harder to draw than deer tags, so doing these tags justice is as important to drawing them to me.

I am in the same general situation as you, with the exception of never having hunted elk before. I will be 44 this elk season, and most likely will not have a chance at this tag again until my late 50s with point creep/potential tag reductions.

Im in for the WY draw, and if I get a tag, I will be spending pretty much all of September working to kill a bull. I will have a partner who is very experienced elk hunter, but want to get the most out of this tag. He will not be with me the entire hunt, and I am ok with that and feel that if I hunt most of or the entire season and do not kill one, Im going to know I left it all on the mountain so to speak.

Ive been on several hunts where if I had just a few more days or was there a week later or earlier my hunts would have turned out much differently, outfitted and diy. Im sure many of us can say this also.

Its just a thought for consideration.

12-Feb-23
I've hunted solo some for Dall sheep and also for elk. 14 days alone for sheep one time. Ran out of food. Lost 17#.

One of the rules is that it's okay to talk to yourself. Same for answering. The problem arises when you start having arguments.

12-Feb-23

cnelk's Link
Buy Bowsiter DirtyD's 'Public Land Elk Hunting' book.

See link

12-Feb-23
I like your last sentence, LKH. I think, well...no I don't!

Thanks for the chuckle.

14-Feb-23
Have ya thought about doing a Spike/cow hunt in Utah? Pretty cheap as far as Non-Ressy fees.

Buy it on-line in June/July

Good luck, Robb

14-Feb-23
LKH "The problem arises when you start having arguments" so are you say I have problems?? I've almost come to blows with myself on several occasions on the mountain.

14-Feb-23
Just do it!!! You won’t regret it. I’ve packed most of my elk out solo and never lost meat. Always hunt solo even when my son, brother or buddy are also in camp hunting. When you break an elk down solo, bone it out and leave all that extra weight on the mountain. And you don’t have to pack in to have a good hunt. Just find the areas the masses don’t want to go, that’s where the elk go!

14-Feb-23
Well too late for cow elk in Wyoming this year but it would have been a good way to get to know an area before a bull hunt.

14-Feb-23
Go, go, go. I've been pretty wildly unsuccessful on my solo hunts, but I've made a lot of memories. For some reason I always do things backwards. I killed 4 bulls on my first 5 DIY elk hunts. But I can't seem to kill another one now. Have been blanked the last 4-5 times (I've had opportunities blown, wounded one, missed one, passed some, etc.)

Having a way to contact home helps me. The longest I went alone was 13 days, called home every 4 days or so, and saw some other hunters. So no problems with being alone.

Be aware of lightning risks, and getting snowed on. I was camped way up high once and a snowstorm was coming. Nearby hunter was calling home to get weather forecasts. I wasn't prepared for that, and wish I had been. I was mostly worried about not being able to get out.

Lightning has caused me more gray hairs on a couple hunts than any other thing. I've gotten caught a couple times and it's no fun. Once a bolt passed by so close it electrified my hair and made it all stand up (or at least I imagined it did:) Not very fun. I should have gotten lower immediately as I watched the front move in, but I waited too long, and I was loath to give up that hard-won elevation.

Make the effort to take some decent food. I can barely stomach backpacking food for very long. It tears me a new one anymore

Have fun. Solo is rewarding when it comes together.

14-Feb-23
I pretty much only hunt solo. I love the freedom and the lack of drama, plus relying on my own wits, but the downside is the need to get an elk out, so I mostly hunt within a mile or two of roads. Killed my last bull 250 yards from a busy county road, and only greed kept me from killing a bull last season 500 yards from a different county road. If you base camp and be mobile (HIGHLY recommended) you may meet some nearby hunters who might help you with your pack out.

Aside from all the good advice above, a really good survival kit with multiple fire starting methods, space blanket, a good first aid kit, a tourniquet, a filet glove for your non-cutting hand, and an Inreach. The filet glove has saved me from many cuts on my left hand, and a tourniquet can save your life while waiting for the SAR you called in with your Inreach.

+100 on Matt Dworak's book, "Public Land Elk Hunting".

15-Feb-23
Being "kind of nervous" just tells me you are man enough to admit to being uneasy and smart enough to realize a solo elk hunt is challenging. That is especially the first time you go out on your own. Here are a few things I do on my solo elk hunts. I have a way to check in with my wife or son at least daily. They know generally where I plan to hunt, and each day I let them in on as many specific details about the place I plan to be as possible. If that is not feasible, for some reason, I leave a note in camp. I give my contact person the phone # of the local Forest Service station or County Sherrif's office in case they don't receive a call in a day or two. If I can find a camp nearby I, go visit them and make arrangements to keep in contact. I plan to get an elk. Taking care of it and packing it out limits where I hunt. If I can't get it out totally on my own, I don't go there. I have a good GPS, map and compass and know how to use them.

Don't be paranoid but be careful. Have some reasonable 1st Aid and safety items but don't get bound up with them either. Enjoy your hunt. I worked for 35 years for the U.S. Forest Service. It was very rare that anyone was called out to go find a hunter. On the rare occasion Search & Rescue was called out somewhere it made the news. If you are reasonably cautious, your hunting time will be the safest part of your trip.

15-Feb-23
I will add this to the first aid kit. I wear a 911 card. Made it myself, and laminated and hung around my neck.

If your found unconscious, first responders will have a start.

Name. Emergency contact number. Blood type. What your allergic to. Medications. Etc.

This was completed after a real life situation hunting elk in 1991, in Colorado.

Suggestion was from an ER Doctor.

Have a Plan. Know the Plan. Follow the Plan

18-Feb-23
I did several as a younger man

I'm 53 and might use PP in Colorado this fall and apply and if I do? I'll solo again. Its tough, its hard, and its all you

get in shape now, don't wait, work hard, put in hundreds of hours of gym/workout time in and then go for a 7-10 day hunt, and have an experience of a lifetime

if you tag an elk, even frickin better

18-Feb-23
As mentioned earlier time is a giant success multiplier when elk hunting. Not just how many days but also what you do with those days. Plenty of elk are killed in the "wrong" spot at the "wrong" time of day.

19-Feb-23
We are so used to human interaction in our daily lives…I can see why guys are skeptical.

My first solo hunt was out of necessity… then it became a challenge, a personal test. Simple- If its not fun for you don’t do it.

I can really get into hunt mode after a couple of days..and thats a good feeling. My bet is Im not the only guy that feels that…

19-Feb-23
thanks for all the feedback on this thread and some very good points.. Taking notes and will be having some discussions from PMs..

lots to learn and PLAN!

19-Feb-23
For sure allow enough time. Amazing how fast 2 weeks can pass by. I like to be alone but I find that after a couple weeks alone it’s nice to have some human interaction again.

19-Feb-23
I haven't had help packing out an elk since about 1997. I occasionally hunt with other guys but for some reason, they all go home before I tag out. I've taken one moose, a dozen bears and who knows how many elk while alone. It's never been a big deal, being alone with an animal down.

If you can handle the solitude and intimidation part, you can handle the rest. The main concern is putting a limit on how far you are willing to pack the meat out on your own. A young bull will give you about 200-230# of boned out meat. That should be 4 trips for the average guy. If you are close enough to the road to do 2 trips a day then saving the meat is not big deal. A big bull might yield over 250# of boned meat, plus the cape and antlers. At least 5 trips, maybe 6. I would rather take an extra trip that try to pack too much and get hurt on the first trip. I self impose a limit of about 2 miles when hunting solo unless it's fairly flat. I can make 2, four-mile round trips with 60# pack in a day, no problem, hence 2 days to get the meat out.

Plan B is to have a horse packer on call ahead of time. This will cost $500 or more but this also allows you to hunt way off the road. With satellite communications this is no big deal anymore. Send them a text and they show up the next day to get your meat.

My only concern would be, can I pack 60# for a number of miles for at least 2 days? The rest is pure joy.

21-Feb-23
I don't understand why so many turn him towards another outfitter. He wants to go on his own sounds like to me. Furthermore, NOTHING against Forest at all but for an outfit that has the record of that he's most likely ending up right where he's at now. That's what the odds tell us. Forest may have as good of an outfit as any public outfit in CO but on average he doesn't kill alot of elk. Not many of them do. This guy needs to go where he's about guaranteed an elk if he's going with an outfit or he's not likely to be satisfied. Again I stress, NOTHING against Forest at all. It's hard as heck to kill elk at high percentages with hunters you don't even usually know on public ground in CO. I'm sure his numbers are in line with most any outfitter available. That being said there are outfits that will just about guarantee you a bull elk.

Pyrannah, if you're fairly good at breaking down a deer then you can an elk no problem. I imagine you can do it in a little over an hour and definitely less than two your first time. The only thing I can say you're definitely wrong about is the drive. IF you kill an elk and it's more than 200 yds from the road the drive will not be the worst part and if it's a mile or two your idea of brutal will most likely change & that drive will be one of the easiest things you've ever done! Don't sweat the small stuff!!

21-Feb-23
Been on one giuded hunt in Col Diy eversince. I like diy.

21-Feb-23
Solo is no big deal. I hunt solo a lot and check in every night with a satellite messenger. My inReach is a nice safety feature to have in case I roll an ankle or break a leg by myself. If you're an outdoorsman with reasonable experience, you can have a great and productive time. Don't overthink it, just get after it.

21-Feb-23
You may higher success rates hunting cows but now it’s the same price! ????

But it is really a good idea to consider, even though it’s not cheaper any more.

21-Feb-23
A lot of responses mention focusing on the experience. Really good advice. Keep the tagging out expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

There's a military saying 'amateurs focus on strategy, professionals focus on logistics.' To give a solo DIY hunt a fair crack of the whip, you have to have the logistics down. No such thing as bad weather, but there is a lot of bad gear. Don't let blisters, too much weight, too cold or wet, take you out of your game. If you don't do practice hikes with a 60+ lbs pack where you live, you are going to be sucking air at altitude, and fatigue leads to mistakes or at a minimum bad attitude. Give yourself LOTS of time, and plan for some easy days to go with the dark to dark days. A good GPS is almost essential for solo dark to dark - how are you going to find your camp if you are set up until last light a ways away from it?

A buddy to split logistics like driving, expenses, gear, etc is nice. Plus a good caller can make a big difference, especially with a lot of mature bulls that are only going to come in a certain distance before they want to see miss sunshine or the bull that's been pissing them off. And splitting the weight hauling is great. In my experience solo hunting in unfamiliar area usually ends up being an endurance contest and doing the toughest packing at the very end of a long lucky hunt can lead to problems.. If you team up, try to clarify that your partner has the same goals and has done the same hard prep, or is cool chilling in camp while you finish out the number of days planned to hunt.

Definitely get out there. Experience is a huge teacher, and nailing an elk, particularly one you've worked really hard for, is one of life's peak experiences.

22-Feb-23
A couple things I want to comment on here. It's true you should keep your expectations realistic but if you convince yourself that you're there for the experience and getting a shot or killing a bull is just a bonus, then you might be setting your goals too low and might be setting yourself up to be satisfied with lack of success. When I went on my first elk hunt back in 1998 people told me being a flatlander from Wisconsin I'd be lucky if I just saw elk on my first hunt. I listened but in my mind I said "bullshit, I'm going to kill a bull". If I had set my goal lower I might not have worked as hard for success. Instead I worked my butt off, hunted hard and smart and killed a nice 5x6 bull. I never go into any hunt with the mentality that I'm not going to kill a bull or if I do it's just a bonus. Aim high, expect success and make it happen.

My other comment is on the time it takes to break down a bull. I've broken down about 20 bulls, many of them solo. There's no way in hell I could do it in just over 1 hour or even 2 hours. I don't think I've ever broken one down solo in less than 4-5 hours. Even with 2-3 guys working on the bull it takes at least 2 hours. Depending on how the bull is positioned when he dies, if he's on a steep slope, tangled up in trees, etc can have a huge impact on how long it takes solo.

EDIT: UPON FURTHER REVIEW, I DID ACTUALLY BREAK ONE DOWN SOLO IN ONLY 2 HOURS.

I will agree though, I actually enjoy the long relaxing drive home in a comfortable truck seat after a long brutal solo pack out...

22-Feb-23
I've broken MANY of elk down in around an hour. Maybe an hour and fifteen or possibly half on a big bull. That's just quartered and ready to haul in a pannier typically but I could bone one in just another lil while as well i just typically don't. If it takes you 4-5 hrs to break down an elk so be it. It doesn't me and/or anyone I've ever known. I've broken cows down with help in probably 20-30 minutes. I'm not superman with a knife by any means either.

22-Feb-23
I've broken MANY of elk down in around an hour. Maybe an hour and fifteen or possibly a half on a big bull. That's just quartered and ready to haul in a pannier typically but I could bone one in just another lil while as well i just typically don't. If it takes you 4-5 hrs to break down an elk so be it. It doesn't me and/or anyone I've ever known. I've broken cows down with help in probably 20-30 minutes. I'm not superman with a knife by any means either.

22-Feb-23
I’ve not broke down a ton of bulls - only 3 and I’m nowhere close to doing it in 1-2 hrs. Last year took over 2 hours and that was with 3 of us working on it. That’s gutless method and deboned meat hanging in bags.

I’ve probably done 20 deer doing the gutless method - that’s a whole different game when you can flip, flop and move the animal to the desired processing position.

22-Feb-23
Pop-r, if you can skin, quarter, and bag a cow elk in 20-30 minutes, you are superhuman.

I've only skinned, quartered, and bagged maybe around 100, either solo or with one other person. So I'm probably not as experienced as you.

22-Feb-23
I'm not trying to be the know it all but I can show anyone who wants to learn how. I can have her front shoulders off and in bags in just a very few minutes. It's not rocket science by any means. Deboning probably more than doubles your time. Or it does me. God as my witness I've broken several bulls down by myself in a timeframe that wasn't too much over an hour. Terrain can make a difference. I dont get ribs and i take the best neck meat. I'm not trying to argue but i saw a guy break about a 1200 lb cow (bovine) down on the ground about two weeks ago on you tube in less time than I'm even dreaming of and he quartered it ribcage and all. I'd have to look it up but it was probably less than 30 minutes. He did have the aid of a lift to handle the quarters for him but they were true quarters and not just appendage quarters as we know them in the hunting world.

22-Feb-23
It's humbling watching a professional butcher cut up an animal - 20 minutes and they're done. Of course, there's a lot more trim than I end up with, and I dare say more left on the bone, but never underestimate how efficient someone can process a critter who really knows what he is doing. I want to get that way with hides - you know, the guys that never poke through, cut hair, and end up with just silver on the inside of the hide - no fat or meat, and does it quick. Best guy I ever saw did it with an old-timer folding pocket knife. Said it all started at the ankle.

22-Feb-23

Hind quarter wedged under downfall.
Hind quarter wedged under downfall.
Paracord to hold legs
Paracord to hold legs
This is what a bull looks like when I'm done boning him out, haha!
This is what a bull looks like when I'm done boning him out, haha!
I agree Rocky, a positive mental attitude is everything!

I think you must be Superman Pop-r or at least maybe Clark Kent ;-) I've been processing all of my deer for over 40 years and all of my elk for over 20. I know how to break them down and how to do the gutless method. I'm never in a hurry because that's a recipe for disaster with a sharp knife in your hand. I stuck a knife in my wrist one time and missed a major blood vessel by 1/4 inch. I patched it up with super glue, paper towel and duct tape but it could have been disaster packed 6 miles into the wilderness. Often when breaking a bull down solo I have to use Paracord tied from legs to trees to position the heavy quarters while I cut meat. All that takes time. I also bone out all meat, lay it out to cool and then bag and hang. I take all neck meat, most rib, brisket, flank meat and inner tenderloins.

One time I had a bull die on a steep slope in some fallen trees. When I was trying to move and reposition him he slid down the slope and one hind quarter wedged under a fallen tree. I tried with all my might and nearly threw my back out but I simply could not move him by myself. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to move him and It took me at least an hour, possibly more just to get the meat off his hind quarters. Working around those fallen trees was a royal pain in the butt and very exhausting. I wasn't able to roll him and get to the bottom side until I got most of the meat off of him and his large rack didn't make things any easier getting caught on the trees, ground, etc.

22-Feb-23
Flat terrain helps out a ton but I got to agree with Pop-r nothing superhuman about breaking a elk down in 2 hours. I have time stamped photos from my Wyoming cow this year. 1st pic was a "hero" shot with me and the elk at 7:16. I immediately started cutting after that. The next pic is at 7:37 of the entrance wound by that point the drivers side was completely skinned backstrap out and I had the shoulder off. Next pic is at 9:45 of my loaded down pack about to head out by then the whole elk was quartered and the rest hanging from a nearby tree. She did die in a nice flat spot.

22-Feb-23
I guess I'm just slow...

Edit: after looking at my time stamps, I agree that 2 hours is not out of the question if conditions are favorable...

22-Feb-23

9:15am just about to start processing.
9:15am just about to start processing.
11am one side completely done, rolled over to start other side. I sometimes take breaks and sit down for a while, eat a snack, etc. No rush...
11am one side completely done, rolled over to start other side. I sometimes take breaks and sit down for a while, eat a snack, etc. No rush...
Just checked some photo time stamps.

22-Feb-23
There is a huge difference between 20-30 minutes and 2+ hours. I can break an elk down in two hours by myself in the right situation. I have had to take nearly 4 hours to get my elk in game bags at times. It depends on the situation. Last September butchering was not easy. I was on an open, very steep slope with nothing to tie to. When I stood on the low side of the bull, the top of my head was even with the top of his body and my footing was poor. It was night and I only had a regular flashlight as I had left my headlamp behind. Not a good situation. Isn't it remarkable how an elk can find the worst place to die and get butchered?

22-Feb-23

1:11pm just about to start
1:11pm just about to start
3:15pm done and ready to pack out. Hey I did it in 2 hours! Flat easy terrain and no caping involved.
3:15pm done and ready to pack out. Hey I did it in 2 hours! Flat easy terrain and no caping involved.
More time stamps.

22-Feb-23

1:15pm ready to start.
1:15pm ready to start.
6:15pm done and loaded.
6:15pm done and loaded.
One more. Arizona where I was able to ride my ATV to the kill site. I spent a little time putting up a tarp for some shade from the sun. This was a very large bodied bull with a lot of meat.

22-Feb-23
See you're not slow. Alone in griz country after dark and I bet you could speed it up a lil even yet.

22-Feb-23
I agree Pop-r. I guess I only remembered the difficult ones and forgot about the easy ones...

22-Feb-23
Guess that’s my point - saying it takes 1-2 hrs to process an elk isn’t the whole story. All 3 I’ve killed have been in less than desirable positions for butchering/processing and no way are you getting them done in 1-2 hours.

I’ve been processing my own deer for 40 yrs so I’ve done a few.

22-Feb-23
damn mike

22-Feb-23
Definitely tons of factors go into it where it dies, temperature outside, how much "gas" is left in your tank depending on how long you've been at it, etc. Just looked at the time stamps from my first elk a raghorn that died on a slope with heavy downfall just under 5 hours. Although I know there was a good 45 minutes to a hour I ate lunch and took a break during that.

23-Feb-23
I haven't reached super hero status. But there are no trophies for the fastest time. My inreach time stamps show 4hr 45min between "i found it" and "i'm heading for the road" messages.

1 factor that slowed me was such little shade on my hillside. I would have to stop cutting and move already hung bags to follow the shade. When finished I had trouble keeping my hands from cramping closed. I survived though. 1st one solo.

08-Mar-24
For those hunting elk in Idaho's units 66, 66A and 76, here's a secret worth remembering: The underground aquifer fed by Palisades Reservoir and surfacing as clusters of hidden natural springs in units 66 (above Grays Lake, grid reference 3,10,15), Van Point area, Poker Peak area; unit 66A grid references 31,36 between road 087 and Monte Cristo Mine, Morgan Meadows area grid references 23,26; and unit 76 Diamond Flat area grid references 30,37; offer excellent elk (cow and bull) hunting!

10-Mar-24
I've done many solo elk hunts. Not a problem.

I don't think you hired a good guide for your Elk hunts extensive research will pay High dividends on your success.

That said we are hunting has a lot to do with it also. Getting a good limited entry tag is an entirely different ball game than going to some over the counter place.

Butchering and processing elk by yourself in rough terrain and bad weather is not fun but not really that bad.

Getting them out can be work but if you're in decent shape it's not terrible.

You need to learn about elk where they are at different times of the day how to call them how to glass.

Fresh sign is all that matters I've seen people get hung up on old sign.

I have to have had my hand cramped so I had to pry it open with the other hand it's weird the first time it happens!

10-Mar-24
Thanks for sharing that "secret", Wild Bill! Nobody goes on the internet for hunting advice, so I'm sure the secret will be safe!

10-Mar-24
Are you really mad at someone who hunts or guides there?

10-Mar-24
Agree with Mikes timeline on elk, very realistic. 20-30 minutes would be better than average for a whitetail little own an elk.

10-Mar-24
Wild Bill, that’s a really odd, out of nowhere post. You running out of old threads about game carts to revive?

10-Mar-24
I'm pretty sure Wild Bill is a bot. He always pulls up old threads, posts an odd comment, then never responds to direct question or comments directed towards him.

• Sitka Gear