wildwilderness 19-Feb-23
skull 19-Feb-23
Corax_latrans 19-Feb-23
18-Feb-23

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Petrified tusks
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Petrified tusks
Went to the taxidermist and saw a new trophy! It’s actually for sale if anybody (super wealthy) is interested.

I know the subject of bowhunting Elephants is touchy, but what about a Mammoth!!!! Either a bow or a spear was the only way :)

18-Feb-23
Won’t make 1200 inches. Mass lacking. Inside spread only average for the Pleistocene era. Brooming has hurt the score as well.

18-Feb-23
Jim Shockey's museum has a couple of them.

18-Feb-23
I wonder if its a replica very cool

18-Feb-23
I laughed out loud Bou

18-Feb-23
They said it’s a real mammoth, at least the tusks are. The skull looks too clean so that may be a replica.

List price was $675,000 !!

18-Feb-23
Looks non-typical to me.

19-Feb-23
Scientists have announced that they're trying to bring them back and plan to introduce them into some of the colder eastern block countries, so maybe the prices will come down once the huntable numbers grow!

19-Feb-23
I read it n the “Mammoth” reintroduction plan and it was pathetic at best- basically a hairy Asian elephant with blood that doesn’t freeze, and the worst part of all- they plan to alter the genes to make it tuskless!!!! So it’s not poached.

What’s the point in that?

19-Feb-23

skull's Link
I know we’re is lots for free LOL

19-Feb-23
“they plan to alter the genes to make it tuskless!!!! So it’s not poached. What’s the point in that?”

What’s the point in creating a population (at a cost of $$$$$$$$??) if there’s an economic incentive to kill them off?

Think I read somewhere that part of the justification for the expense is that they filled an ecological niche which is now un-filled (due to human activity) and that a healthy population could help address sundry environmental issues. So there’s potentially more value - including economic value - than just the Gee-Whizz of it.

But it would really suck to have many millions of dollars of scientific investments wiped out by poachers.

• Sitka Gear