Grey Ghost 02-Mar-23
12yards 02-Mar-23
70lbDraw 02-Mar-23
Matt 02-Mar-23
Jaquomo 02-Mar-23
Grey Ghost 02-Mar-23
APauls 03-Mar-23
01-Mar-23
Discover has decided to help big gov when u purchase a weapon or ammo. Startin in april they will add a special code to any of these purchases. Alertin the gov. Use cash. Cut up the card and send a message.

01-Mar-23

Jaquomo's Link
It's a new ISO credit card purchase tracking category for all credit cards. It will track purchases of all outdoor equipment - tents, sleeping bags, lanterns, ammo, etc. but won't specify what it is. Only Discover has agreed to report the purchases so far.

01-Mar-23
Of course they have. On the flip side. I don’t remember the last gun or bow I purchased with a credit card… I always go to the stop and pay cash. My grandfather also told me, pay it cash take it and leave. Done.

01-Mar-23
Lol if you thought they couldnt already track this.... especially if buying a gun, you fill out federal forms. All CC companies will be doing this.

Curious how this will work at big outdoor stores that sell more than just guns/ ammo

01-Mar-23
The code is being used to track all outdoor gear purchases. It doesn't differentiate between a lantern or waders and a box of .223 cartridges.

01-Mar-23
I'm ignorant on this. Why are they tracking outdoor purchases? To what end or justification do they need to know if I buy some waders?

01-Mar-23
"Why are they tracking outdoor purchases?"

Because they can at your expense, and just maybe, use that information against you in a court of law.

01-Mar-23
So you mean a credit card company will report a gun purchase ………boy the government never would’ve known that transaction occurred. Head for the hills and find a cave.

01-Mar-23
The problem will arise when these companies start declining gun and ammo purchases.

01-Mar-23
When the government tells you. You don’t need a gun. You need a gun. With all the lies we have seen in the last three or so years. Russian collusion the Wuhan lab debacle. COVID pandemic, vaccines, and booster shots that are giving people blood clots and who knows what else. No wonder people don’t trust the government. The smart ones anyhow.

01-Mar-23
A CC just makes it convenient. Simply use cash going forward.

01-Mar-23
With todays technology, they probably know all they need to know by your cell phone.

01-Mar-23

Grey Ghost's Link
Credit card companies routinely track purchases of all kinds...gas, groceries, clothes, restaurants, etc..for rewards programs. They use Merchant Category Codes (MCC). The codes are specific to the type of store, but they don't track individual purchased items.

The controversy is over credit card companies creating a new MCC specifically for gun stores. Again, the code would only be for the store, not for specific purchased items.

For more information, the Meateater did an article on the subject last September. See link.

Matt

01-Mar-23
Trying to wrap my head around why the government cares if I buy waders, but then it dawned on me they don't care. But... if they single out guns then we scream bloody murder, if guns are included in a sweeping stroke of everything outdoors then it's not as obvious. Took me a minute but I got there.

We live in the greatest country on earth. I sure wish our leaders and citizens wanted to keep it that way. I also wish my belief in the Constitution didn't make me an outsider (or enemy) to our administration.

01-Mar-23
i didn't realize the discover card was still a thing. thanks for the heads up though, i will pass it on.

01-Mar-23
Again, credit card companies have been tracking sporting goods store purchases for a long time. The big fuss is over them creating a new code specifically for gun stores.

Matt

01-Mar-23
The cc code what purchase were for easy keeping track of what is spent where. Pretty necessary for tax time on company credit card. Like others said, pay cash if you want no trace

01-Mar-23
Be advised^^^^^this guy is a nut job.

01-Mar-23
"Be advised that all your charge cards are also tracking devices to locate your exact whereabouts.Be advised that all your charge cards are also tracking devices to locate your exact whereabouts.

Only if you use them to buy something. They don't track you while you're walking or driving around with the cards in your wallet.

Matt

01-Mar-23
That’s why they want to do away with cash.

01-Mar-23
I just need to wait and be told what to use. I can't keep up with all the falling sky changes.

01-Mar-23
Imagine owning a smart device and not being worried about that but being worried about everything else tracking you.

Life pro tip, your internet(everybody important) can still see all your browsing history even when using incognito mode

01-Mar-23
First Specific code was for tin foul hat purchases. <[*o*]>

01-Mar-23
So why wouldn't you tell everyone you know to get Discover Cards and tell everyone to buy guns and ammo on it? Let whoever is tracking know....there's a lot of us out there.

01-Mar-23
Grey Ghost , I wish you were correct.

The technology is not new; Such RFID chips are already being implanted in driver’s licenses in four states: Michigan, Vermont, New York, and Washington. It allows entry to Canada without a passport. Eventually all US drones, (citizens) will be required to have one to fly even domestic.

Even some credit cards now contain RFID; you’ll see people waving their credit or debit cards in front of a device instead of swiping them. Those cards contain an RFID chip which has banking information in it.

There are stations in key positions tracking RFID cards now.

FYI. There are wallets to screen the radio signal

I carry mine in my tinfoil hat :>)))

01-Mar-23
What is an enhanced driver's license or state ID card? They are dual-purpose documents designed for the user's convenience. In addition to serving as a typical driver's license or ID card, they may be used to re-enter the U.S. at its land or sea ports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. This flexibility speeds your passage back across the border. They verify your identity and citizenship - no other proof is needed. Enhanced driver's licenses and ID cards are among the federally approved border-crossing documents when entering the U.S. required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

01-Mar-23
LOL Brotsky.

Glad I didn't have to say it.

01-Mar-23
who cares, what's the big deal, are you hiding something. Been going on for years

01-Mar-23
Does the government have to track credit card receipts to know who buys a gun?

01-Mar-23
Yes it’s obvious we fill out federal forms to purchase a gun, so the government knows, however now if it’s being sent to the CC company who else are they going to sell it to is the question…

01-Mar-23
There's a lot of folks in here who don't understand how information sharing works and permissible purpose.

01-Mar-23
"It's a new ISO credit card purchase tracking category for all credit cards. It will track purchases of all outdoor equipment - tents, sleeping bags, lanterns, ammo, etc. but won't specify what it is."

You missed the context there. MCC codes are generally applied at the retailer level and capture all sales at the retailer. If a store with the firearm MCC code also sells tents, an issuer could not differentiate between a firearm or a tent purchase. If one was to buy a tent at REI, it would not be looked at as a possible firearm purchase because REI does not sell firearms and hence would not have the firearm MCC code (rather, it would have a general sporting goods MCC code in all likelihood).

This is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. If the point is to flag questionable transactions for reporting to law enforcement, what grounds would LE have for following up if someone spent many thousands of dollars at one or multiple difference stores with the firearm MCC code (the pattern seen with several prior shooters)?

Not to mention that, with this news out there, anyone with a brain would use a card other than Discover or, in the event the other issuers follow suit, use funds from a cash advance on the card for a purchase rather than the card itself.

01-Mar-23
It disappointing news about discover. But they are still one of the better credit card companies.

01-Mar-23
Just when I thought you couldn’t possibly be more full of $#!+…

01-Mar-23
Because I only pay with cash and haven't left my zip code in years it appears I am only being tracked half as much as the rest of you.

01-Mar-23
matt, why in the world would you have thought that?

01-Mar-23
IL has had foid card since the 60s with id # you buy gun it is recorded, cash are credit. Your phone tells all every mile you go. Chips in cars since 2010 track your car. Google it.

01-Mar-23

01-Mar-23
"matt, why in the world would you have thought that?"

Optimism? And he stated an actual fact in the Alec Baldwin thread - which was weird to read.

01-Mar-23
Tom I do see nwo coming Bush, Obama and now Brandon are all in for it. Plus world bank

02-Mar-23
The fact that we are tracked way too much in various ways isn't a good justification to casually accept more tracking. It's actually the worst.

02-Mar-23
Oh wow! So can you defeat the new silver strip antenna ? Maybe with garlic?

02-Mar-23
Interesting that after reading a few of the above posts, I found this article in my news feed this morning....

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/scary-fed-idea-turn-your-dollars-digital-power-grab

02-Mar-23
For those who may be wondering, the little RFID chips on some credit cards, that allow you to wave them in front of a scanner, only transmit a signal that can be read from a few feet away. They don't send a signal that can track the location of the card from a cell tower or wifi network, like our resident idiot described above. I honestly think he posts stupid sh!t up just to get attention. There's no way someone could be that dumb.

Matt

02-Mar-23
I think the Pittman-Robertson Act has been around since the 30s. Govt has been tracking and taxing sporting equipment for many years to distribute for wildlife/fisheries habitat.

02-Mar-23
“They are waiting for an excuse to get the chip into your body. Ping ping ping ping ping. There will be no place to hide.”

Why bother? We already have cell phones that track your every move. As long as Americans cherish their phone more than their freedom, we’re already giving them permission to do so.

02-Mar-23
"Come now, you really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that they 'send a signal', they don't because they possess no power source."

You didn't state it, because you have no idea how the technology works. Touchless card transactions only work because the RFID chip sends a signal to the payment terminal based on power it receives from the terminal. This exchange only works when the card and terminal are within ~6 inches of one another. The maximum read range for 13.56 MHz signal is ~4 feet.

02-Mar-23
My brother in law finally had to give up his flip phone for a smart phone. He keeps it in his microwave so "they" won't know where he is. All he does is go skiing and ride his bike around and play music in a local band. He somehow believes there is a human sitting in front of a terminal somewhere watching his every mundane move. Tin foil hatters among us.

02-Mar-23
Also, It only sends the card number through the air. The other authentication info would Still need to be captured manually. Watching you input it, or recording key strokes.

02-Mar-23
"Come now, you really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that they 'send a signal'"

What you described was a scenario in which a hunter who poached a wolf could be proven to be in the area simply by having his credit cards in his pocket. That was incredibly ignorant for the reasons Matt stated above.

03-Mar-23
azelkhntr is right...how do you think they know the person claiming to be damar hamlin is an imposter? not only is the imposters credit card info different...but the computer chip in the real damar hamlins covid vaxx leads to a cemetery in buffalo ny.

03-Mar-23
LMAO holy crap the silver stripe! I guess that's why there are expiry dates on credit cards because that is when the battery runs out that powers the antenna! All this time I had no clue. Boy do I feel sheepish.

• Sitka Gear