easeup 02-Mar-23
Old School 02-Mar-23
SoDakSooner 06-Mar-23
Zim 06-Mar-23
Pop-r 16-Mar-23
pav 16-Mar-23
KsRancher 16-Mar-23
01-Mar-23
So, with application season upon us and the looming (seems inevitable) proposition to go all draw for elk in this state, what is your plan? Does it make sense to “panic” store a few points for the next year or two and take advantage of OTC and simultaneously collect a point while we still can. OR just say F it and still try to draw my low point LE unit while I still can? My thinking is that (as a resident) my 1 point unit will return to being a 0 point unit if everything goes to a draw? Going to be an interesting next couple of years in our state.

01-Mar-23
Gonna sit out elk this year unless I get lucky in NM or WY just a point in CO for 2023. My antelope tag should be a lock with my points and should have a shot at deer. I'm not afraid of losing OTC as I've already switched my strategy to hunting low point LE units.

01-Mar-23
Interesting thought. I wonder how much faster the point creep can go?

01-Mar-23
I plan on dumping my points and a good unit but not as good as the one I want. I have 16 for elk and 4 for mule deer. I would have 25 for elk if I didn’t miss some years here and there.

01-Mar-23
Burn my point in low point unit to guarantee at least this year I can hunt with my son one more time before his life after school gets complicated. Then watch the insanity Colorado will turn into while I hopefully talk my wife into a move to Wyoming or Idaho!!!?? Those are just the first 2 states, I could live with a few others.

01-Mar-23
Wyoming is lookin good. But w/so many disgusted hunters it may become crowded.

01-Mar-23
Wyoming is lookin good. But w/so many disgusted hunters it may become crowded.

01-Mar-23
As a resident, my only advice is to hunt all you can, while you can. We are 5-7 years away from having a few hundred wolves and currently it looks like we never get allowed to hunt them regardless of how many we have.

Once we have 250 or so, what they eat equals all the bowhunter harvest. We will still have elk but changes are inevitable.

01-Mar-23
OTC this year, dump my points next year.

01-Mar-23
I have 20 points for Co., getting older and no one to go with me, If I choose to burn them this year....maybe I waited too long. really not sure of the future in Co.,

01-Mar-23
Point creep is going to affect NonRes quite a bit in the next couple years

02-Mar-23
Cashing in hopefully this year. Hunting Elk seems to be getting harder and harder every year on OTC units.

02-Mar-23
Sitting this season out, so just a point this year. Back to CO next year fort elk and hopefully WY for antelope. Throwing all my eggs in the whitetail basket for '23.

02-Mar-23
Some good points for sure. I agree Glunt. The future of Colorado hunting is “hazy” at best. The wolf intro is going to change the game more than many think. It’ll take a few years to make a strong impact but it’s definitely coming. Think I’ll use my couple points this year to hunt my low point unit and just hope for the best for the future.

02-Mar-23
Trying to figure out what to do, there are some things I could cash in on but the a archery situation in Colorado for elk is not good

02-Mar-23
You forgot to mention the same commissioner who wants to limit ALL archery wants to have point banking.

Think of all the currently drawable units with maybe 1, 2, 3 points. If it goes limited, 35000 otc hunters with points will applying for those units because they sure won't spend them on a zero point unit.

Now throw in point banking, guys with 20 points, could hunt a 2 point unit 6 times and still have points leftover.

Now throw in wolves, and the diminishing quotas contributing to point creep.

It is a trifecta disaster for bowhunters imo.

I'd burn points while you can get a tag. Points might be worthless soon.

02-Mar-23
I currently have 1 pt. Going to buy another this year and hopefully use them in 2024 on a first season rifle tag. Will assess the situation at that time and decide from there. If I get the urge to kill an elk before then I will just go by a over the counter 2nd or 3rd season rifle tag

02-Mar-23
One other thing to note, lots of people pushing to limit ALL seasons. If that happens, 20 percent of all tags are removed from the public draw for landowners. If your pockets are deep, you might be OK, If you count on the public draw you're in trouble.

02-Mar-23
Trying to figure out what to do, there are some things I could cash in on but the a archery situation in Colorado for elk is not good

02-Mar-23
Yeah Colorado hates bowhunters

02-Mar-23
^^^^ Yes, but the CPW loves your NR archery elk tag dollars!! Come one, come all NR's to our OTC units. Who cares about quality or the elk. We're everyone's back-up plan.

02-Mar-23
My son has decided to use his double digit PPs an a good elk tag. So that will be my focus.

I’ll add another elk PP to my collection and probably use them next year

02-Mar-23
Putting in for my same 0-1 point unit even though it has less elk and more hunters than my favorite OTC spots. Access to a cabin and being close enough to home for short hunts keeps me there.

02-Mar-23
Wow I am 79 and have 8 points for elk, was hoping that I might still be able to hunt next year at 80 and burn my 9 points, and my 19 points for deer, but starting to think I best dump them now as long as I still have legs to use. Colorado has gone to the crapper.

02-Mar-23
wow! my hat is off to you brother!

02-Mar-23
Hope to burn my points in 2-3 years. Before the wolves wreak havoc on the elk. With the changes in tag allotment I’ll be very fortunate if I’m able to draw in 2-3 years though. May have to settle for a plan “C” unit.

06-Mar-23
Should draw our above timberline deer tag this year with 9pp. Applying for PP for elk. Our elk unit typically takes a few points so will probably do points again next year and deer hunt in our old stomping grounds in SD. My son is going to finally start applying so happy about that. Brother needs to get his kids to do the same.

06-Mar-23
Burned my pile of CO elk points last year. Burning WY elk points this year for general due to all the turmoil there. My big decision will be next year - To burn 17 CO deer points, or 27 UT deer points for Pauns archery. Got no clue yet. May depend of season dates for 2024.

16-Mar-23

16-Mar-23
Elk point, deer point, desert bighorn app...done.

16-Mar-23
Deer, elk and lope point for my 2 boys and I. My brother has a decent chance of drawing his 1st choice elk and my dad a decent chance at his 2nd choice elk.

• Sitka Gear