pirogue 24-Mar-23
Saphead 26-Mar-23
Don T. Lewis 26-Mar-23
Bohunr 27-Mar-23
EmbryOklahoma 27-Mar-23
09-Mar-23

Don T. Lewis's embedded Photo
An arrow head? This Black Brewerton point was the first arrow head I ever found. Less then 100 yards from where I shot my fist deer with a compound bow.

09-Mar-23
Never have, but really never have looked for them. Would like to go to a place where they are known to be found, and look for them.

09-Mar-23
Sometimes I get lucky, and find them on my Property. I have a little drawer, with a bunch of them.

09-Mar-23
To put things in perspective, we always want to retrieve our arrows. We can order more readily . The person who shot this point spent hours making his arrow and getting the point "just so" . Was it a miss or a poor hit. Each stone point has a story that will never be told. Great find !

09-Mar-23
No and I want to! I have found all kinds of fossils but no arrowheads.

09-Mar-23
How many grains is that head? Lol.

09-Mar-23
We found one in NM antelope hunting and my buddy sent it off to be examined and it ended up being even before the indians of the 1800s

09-Mar-23
I’ve found a few random points over the years. I had a deer lease for 18 years that I’m pretty sure had a village site on it. There was a large area in a flat spot next to the Colorado River where I found many, many chips. I looked over that area several times and only found chips of flint. Big ones, tiny ones, but only chips. The rock in that country is limestone and caliche so the flint had to be brought in from somewhere else. The small area where the chips were found was almost bare of vegetation and the soil was dark like it had been blackened by many fires. I did find an old 45/70 Government shell casing on that place though. I spent many a morning in a blind thinking about what went on there many years ago.

09-Mar-23

Old School's embedded Photo
Small arrowhead my son found in our creek last spring
Small arrowhead my son found in our creek last spring

09-Mar-23
I've only ever found one and a buddy of mine has a book that says mine is a Hanna or Duncan and it's 3500-4600 years old. Mine was laying right in a cow path and how it's still fully intact is a wonder.

09-Mar-23
When I lived in Wyoming I was able to find several of them. Most of them were when I spent a summer collecting plant and soil samples for the UW Range Management department (where I was a student) for an EIS they were doing for the proposed Rockefeller Corridor connecting Teton and Yellowstone parks, and for some work they were plannning of doing near Seminoe Reservior by Rawlins. The Rawlins area is mostly desert, and the other student that I worked with for part of the summer showed me how to spot ancient fire rings and it was at those sites that we found a wealth of flint chips and a few arrow heads. None of the points were perfect, as if they were found at the camp site, it usually meant that they had broken at the wrong place and were not usable. No obsidian though!

09-Mar-23
I’ve found a grand total of one. Looked pretty similar to Old School’s. Found it in Oklahoma, while shooting our bows at a range a guy had set up where he lived. Have also found a few chips and a couple of broken pieces of pottery, as well.

There were some burial mounds a couple hundred yards from where I grew up, in Iowa . One of the local universities did an archeological dig on one of them when I was around 7-8 years old. I would often go out and watch them carefully digging and sweeping the dirt away from whatever they would find. I vividly remember 3 skeletons that they exposed. Two were of adults and one was a child. They didn’t remove any of the remains (that I was aware of). One of my classmate’s dad would scour that field after the farmer would plow or disc it each year. The burial mounds were not worked. He lived to hunt for artifacts, and had case after case of arrowheads, stone tomahawks, spear points, etc. that he had found in our region over the years.

09-Mar-23

What I consider my best find. A full groove ax. I found it walking a small stream.

09-Mar-23
I've found a handful over the years. I mainly keep my eyes up looking for critters, so I usually only glance at the ground for tracks or to keep my footing. It's not like I walk around staring at the ground all the time. So I've been lucky. It's crazy to think how many there might be out there.

I have a friend who rides mules with his dogs guiding for lions, so his eyes are always glued to the ground. He finds a lot of them following drainages, etc. same places he's looking for tracks.

09-Mar-23

Supernaut's embedded Photo
Supernaut's embedded Photo
Found this one in Greene County, PA on a job site about 15 years ago laying in a fresh top soil stripped area. It's the only one I've ever found but I never really looked much.

Coincidentally a couple of years after I found it I was at a trade show in West Virginia for work and there was an archeologist there with a bunch of artifacts on display. I spotted the identical twin to the head I found in his display and when I mentioned it to the archeologist he told me the head is roughly 7,000-10,00 years old and he even knew a round about area of where I found it. He also told me it could have possibly been used a spear point.

I might spend some time walking freshly plowed fields this spring looking. I can't shoot my bow or reel a fish in yet with my shoulder so walking around looking at dirt and rocks doesn't sound too bad.

09-Mar-23
I can’t spot arrowheads to save my life! I can’t even begin to count how many times I have stepped over, on, and around them just to have someone walking behind me find it. Lol I’m usually looking for animals though or the route I’m going to take. I can find pottery though like no bodies business. We have a ton of Anasazi ruins here so the whole 4 corners area was a booming place at one time.

09-Mar-23
I've found several cool ones. Had a really good farm I would hunt them on every spring after planting and good, hard rain. A lot of broken ones due to farm equipment.

09-Mar-23
Actually found my first one when I was 3 years old hunting them with my dad. That was 47 years ago. My dad and I have several thousand of arrowheads and Indian relics. Living here in IL if you have a stream close by and the don’t no till you can still pick up rocks. Since the 90s finding them has become a lot tougher with the farming styles. I know this we have literally walked hundreds of miles looking for points. It is a great family outing.

09-Mar-23

Keefers's embedded Photo
Keefers's embedded Photo

09-Mar-23

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Bird point my wife found near the Red River which is the OK/TX line.
Bird point my wife found near the Red River which is the OK/TX line.
Bird point I found on the land we hunt.
Bird point I found on the land we hunt.
Found this “Gary” point east of Tulsa.
Found this “Gary” point east of Tulsa.
“Gary” point…
“Gary” point…
One of my favorite things to do besides bowhunt. My wife and I can spend hours trolling creeks, lakes and even land we hunt. Absolutely love it!

I'd also bet that most people don't realize that the "arrowheads" we find weren't actually used on arrows or for a bow. Most arrowheads were used for spears and/or atlatls. The majority of heads that folks find actually pre-date the bow and arrow.

09-Mar-23
I have never found a one, and I've spent a little bit of time looking.

My grandfather and his family used to farm some riverbottoms along the Osage River and they would walk the fields after plowing and pick them up frequently. He gave me a perfect ax head.

That area is now under 20 feet of Truman Lake.

09-Mar-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Beautiful finds. To me there is nothing better than finding an arrow head. I have a few under my belt.

09-Mar-23
Flint Ridge is not real far from me and while working out of Newark Ohio spent some time there... I guess a lot of trading amongst Natives was done there... There are flint/chert boulders scattered all over the area, and the flint/chert can even be found in my home area 50 miles away, so I've found a few pieces of flint/chert over the years but nothing that was definitely knapped as a arrowhead,,, although once at deer camp during gun season after the hunt drinking beer standing/setting around the campfire which kinda has a boulder rock foundation serves as a natural fire pit by buddy was kicking dirt and rocks around with his boot and an arrowhead popped up... I was standing right next to him when he picked it up in disbelief... Couldn't believe it...

My buds knew I was into bowhunting big time and I swore they set me up playing a joke,,, but to this day, they say no, that it was a real arrowhead kicked up... I tried and tried to talk my buddy out of it, but so far to no avail.... We're best friends and horsetrade all the time, but he won't give that arrowhead up, that's why I know it real...... So, I bought the property off him...8^)

In my mind, at it's location, I can just see Natives sitting around a campfire (maybe knapping arrowheads) there just as we enjoy the spot... Thinking back on it, I know we killed deer that week, but can't remember what we killed, but I still remember like I was yesterday that arrowhead... Matter of fact him and I are horsetrading right now arrows for knives, I need to bring up that arrowhead again...8^)

09-Mar-23

Djl's embedded Photo
Djl's embedded Photo
Always on the lookout. Found this one turkey hunting SE Minnesota. The farmer cut a switchback into a steep hill and there she was.

09-Mar-23
I am a bit of a rock hound. One day I had a day off from work and found myself at Alibates national monument. After looking at the flint quarry there I was directed to a place off site. It was full of tool rejects. I took one small sample home as it was not in the monument. Twenty years later I went to a museum of natural history in El Paso. I saw the artifacts of the Mexican Indians. There were several items made from Alibates flint. The color is unmistakable. The flint was used over 500 miles from the quarry where it originated.

09-Mar-23

Wife’s find from where we hunt in SE OK
Wife’s find from where we hunt in SE OK
Wife’s find from Kansas.
Wife’s find from Kansas.
SE Oklahoma finds
SE Oklahoma finds
Just a dish of broken points and incomplete heads sitting around the house
Just a dish of broken points and incomplete heads sitting around the house
Here’s a few more that my wife found. The small white one was in Kansas on a friends land, the others were in far SE Oklahoma.

I’d rather take a week off and look for heads than go on a vacation to some resort. :)

09-Mar-23

A point my brother found and gave to me.

10-Mar-23
I've found several lithics. I've been lucky enough to spend most of My life outdoors. I'm always looking. I've given a few away and the rest are mounted in a shadow box.

10-Mar-23
Greenmountain I believe that tool blanks were traded all across the continent. I'm also convinced that people traveled hundreds of miles to get good stone. I once found an obsidian point in a road cut in the Western Piedmont of Virginia. I'm not sure how far it is to an obsidian source bit it's far. Like thousand miles far.

10-Mar-23
I've found a shoebox full also several grindstones and grinding beds or whatever they're called, tomahawk heads etc. Should probably donate them to a school, but haven't. Kinda think the white man screwed it all up, women worked and men hunted and farted around with rocks and stuff, what's wrong with that?

10-Mar-23

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Found this one packing a bull out in 2012. Not the first hunter in this spot.

10-Mar-23
First thing I think when picking one up is I wonder who the last human to touch this was and what was their story.

10-Mar-23

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Many years ago found this while actually looking for Artifacts. Also have found 2 stone drags used for tying horse too, plus many chips and flakes.
Rock's embedded Photo
Many years ago found this while actually looking for Artifacts. Also have found 2 stone drags used for tying horse too, plus many chips and flakes.
Stepped over this one many times while shooting my Bow many years ago until I realized what it was.

10-Mar-23

Wow! Quite a few of you look for Native American artifacts too. And here I thought I was the only one;)

10-Mar-23

nvgoat's embedded Photo
nvgoat's embedded Photo
Found this one this year Chukar hunting. Looking at it end on it is near perfect. Have found quite a few in my life here in Nevada.

10-Mar-23

Keefers's embedded Photo
Keefers's embedded Photo
Hunter, It looks like there were possibly another arrowhead where you found that white one . I could spend a lot of time looking in places like that and I bet you could turn up many.

10-Mar-23
Good eye Keefers!

10-Mar-23
Wonder how many of those hit thru "the void"?

10-Mar-23

drycreek's embedded Photo
I don’t really know what this is, but it looks like it has been worked.

10-Mar-23

This is definitely something…….but what ?

10-Mar-23

These bones came from the bottom of the Missouri River. I wish I knew what they are from.

10-Mar-23
Great thread. It's awesome to hold something that someone else used 150 to 200 years ago, or more.

10-Mar-23
Drycreek, I believe that is a bearing block for a fire drill.

10-Mar-23
drycreek, that top one looks to be a scraper. I've found a few of those and was told that's what they used for scraping hides.

10-Mar-23

Some That I put in a frame.

10-Mar-23
very nice!

10-Mar-23
Always lookin' never findin' I find a lot of cool fossils though. Again as stated before it's so cool to find something millions or even a few hundred million years old. When I get done coaching my kids in sports that will be my mission to find an arrow/spear head.

10-Mar-23

Nolan McDonald's embedded Photo
This is what it looked like when I walked up on it.
This is what it looked like when I walked up on it.
I found this cache while I was antler hunting on some private ground in western Wyoming.

10-Mar-23

Here's the big one.

10-Mar-23
Wow

11-Mar-23
Nice stuff guys! Keep em coming!

11-Mar-23
Dryvreek that is a "Nutting stone" they were used for cracking hard shelled nuts, walnut, Hickory, pecan . There would have been a hand axe shaped hammer stone with a matching cup to help contain the nut as it cracked. They're a real cool find. I have a nutting hammer found in Franklin County Virginia and a Nutting anvil found in Highland County Virginia

11-Mar-23
It's fascinating the skill and knowledge of materials that went into this work. Understanding heat treatment of stone, fracture characteristics, and efficiency of shapes for penetration and hemmoraging on the projectile points, edge durability on the cutting tools and chopping tools, and the sheer time spent on the "peck and polish " method tools like celts,grooved, hafted axes, nutting tools, mortar and pestle etc. I've even seen knapped fish hooks found along the upper New River at the VA/NC border

11-Mar-23
Here's a great website for learning more about lithics and Native American culture: https://www.nativetech.org/authors/tara.html

11-Mar-23

I found these 7 arrow heads kayaking on a lake. I stopped on a rock point. And started to look around. All of these points came out of a crevice in a rock. The crevice was filled with sand. I picked a stick up off the ground. And started to dig the sand out of the crevice. And these poped out one by one. Not sure what made me decide to dig the sand out of that crevice.

11-Mar-23

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Found these two in NW CO while elk hunting. Also found a scraper in the South Platte.

11-Mar-23

Meat Grinder's embedded Photo
Meat Grinder's embedded Photo
Found what I assume is a spear point in southern Indiana, right on the shore of the Ohio river in the early 90's.

11-Mar-23

My Son found these metal detecting today. On a property near a battlefield.

12-Mar-23

Bou’bound's embedded Photo
Bou’bound's embedded Photo
I found this in Montana near an old indian burial ground next to a creek off the milk river but something about it just leaves me questioning the authenticity.

12-Mar-23

Hopewell monitor mounds pipe. Found this in an antique store that was going out of business. The guy that owned the store said he had several of these kind of pipes over the years. He said he even had some with animals on them. I bought it. Figured it would go great with my Indian arrow head collection. And it does.

12-Mar-23

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
My favorite piece. Single bevel!
midwest's embedded Photo
My favorite piece. Single bevel!
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The hardest part about finding them in farm country is finding pieces that aren't broken. I have a lot of broken heads.

12-Mar-23
That pipe is nice!

12-Mar-23
Meat grinder almost certainly an atl atl dart (thrown spear from thrower) point. Very nice!

12-Mar-23
Fuzzy--I hadn't considered that. I appreciate the input, and I'll have to do a little research on it.

12-Mar-23
Thanks Fuzzy!

14-Mar-23
Meat grinder atl atls are cool. The longer heavier darts could carry bigger points for good penetration on the much larger game which was around back then. I picture driven hunts on Wolly mammoth, rhino, bison etc. With hidden standers using throwers and darts/spears

14-Mar-23
We've found a couple while hunting our leases Mountain Home and d'Hannis TX.

Haven't found any since we bought the TN farm and moved there.

14-Mar-23

Djl's embedded Photo
Djl's embedded Photo
Any ideas what this piece was used for?

14-Mar-23
Djl……Looks like possibly a pestle?

14-Mar-23

Djl's embedded Photo
Djl's embedded Photo
t-roy that is probably it. The backside is grooved.

14-Mar-23
Aren’t they all?

14-Mar-23
Might be an atlatl weight, but usually they have grooves for attaching to the stick. Some stones with the wear on the sides might also have been used for rubbing stones in hide tanning (rubbing in brains etc, into the skins to preserve the hide). Sometimes multipurpose tools......Mike

14-Mar-23
That last piece looks like a "celt". A hand held axe (more a chisel really) used for chopping out dugout canoes, among other things. They're often found along sandy river terraces in Virginia. I met a fella years ago who found three in one cornfield along the New River

14-Mar-23
What type of black stones are those, black granite?

14-Mar-23

Celt and full groove axes. Reproduction Lenni, Lenape, Ball style war clubs. That I carved.

14-Mar-23

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
I've found quite a few points over the years, but this knife is my best find. It's about 6.5 inches long and quite sharp. I once butchered most of an elk hind quarter with it.

15-Mar-23

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
Found this point/ blade while walking down our family farm laneway after turkey hunting with the bow one morning. It was laying in the edge of a garden that bordered the laneway. No telling how many times it had been driven over by tractors and moved around by tillage as my father would annually disc or plow that garden, not to mention the rototiller. And to think me and my family members had walked by/ over it many 1000's of times. When I found it, I brought it over to show my dad who was working nearby at the time and he didn't believe me that it was an artifact (he simply hadn't ever seen one).

Since that day my eyes are always watching the ground more closely... searching.... those who look for points know the addiction!

My current (main) hunting spot is along a major river and I frequently find points - usually always heart breakers though. A couple years ago I was on my annual midwest shed trip and met up with a friend in Pike county Il whos family makes a living authenticating, appraising and dealing artifacts. On our way across a corn field to hit a chunk of woods to find more sheds, he mentioned it's a great place to keep our eyes peeled, and before we knew it we were all picking up artifacts and forgot about sheds for a while!

15-Mar-23

bustedarrow2's embedded Photo
bustedarrow2's embedded Photo
From the ark/la/tex area.

16-Mar-23

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
Last place I would have expected to find this one.

23-Mar-23
One. I was archery elk hunting in unit 76 Colorado and sat down for a snack and some water I look to my left and it was sitting next to me I couldn't have missed it if I tried it was pretty cool! I was by Ute ridge and someone looked up and said it was probably the Ute Indians

24-Mar-23

Buglemaster's embedded Photo
My father handed down this one to me. It’s special like no other.

24-Mar-23

I picked up this one last fall.

24-Mar-23
Buglemaster those quartz crystal points are beautiful. I've found one but not as nice.

24-Mar-23

Found this one also…my first thought was a child learning at an early age.

24-Mar-23
Wonder what percentage of finds(even if they’re notched) was actually: 1) tossed, because it didn’t chip right 2) put on arrow, wounded critter but lost, or 3)other I wouldn’t think many were complete misses, that were not recovered. It wasn’t like they didn’t have time to look for their arrow, because they wanted to go watch TV.

26-Mar-23
Love seeing these pics.. I have only found 4 so far. The amount of points scattered all over this country is mind boggling to me. Just think of how many have been found and also not found yet.

26-Mar-23
Every time I find one. I have to think about the man who made it. And how long it’s been since someone has held this point in there hand. Bows a good time to go looking for them.

27-Mar-23
Many years ago my brother and I were tracking a cow elk I had shot and my brother found an arrowhead made out of shale on top of a gopher mound.Guess the gopher was asking us to help get it out of his tunnel system.

27-Mar-23
"Wonder what percentage of finds(even if they’re notched) was actually: 1) tossed, because it didn’t chip right 2) put on arrow, wounded critter but lost, or 3)other I wouldn’t think many were complete misses, that were not recovered. It wasn’t like they didn’t have time to look for their arrow, because they wanted to go watch TV."

Pirogue... my guess would be if you find others, or a lot of "chips" nearby, they were likely where they lived and deemed useless, or just lost around camp. Some of the areas I have found points were likely where they lived just because of the location and the amount of napping chips found as well. If one is found all by itself, likely it was on an arrow/spear and used to hunt. Still hard to determine percentages either way though, imo.

• Sitka Gear