TGbow 22-Mar-23
Fields 22-Mar-23
LBshooter 23-Mar-23
RK 23-Mar-23
10-Mar-23

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo

Bowboy's Link
Most recent report I have found. Less than 1.5% of the total harvested deer that was either hunter supplied or sharp shot were CWD positive. That’s since 2003 statewide….WOW

10-Mar-23
This is the result of taking Federal money for CWD. They spend it.

10-Mar-23
It’s terrible! It’s tough to even get a glimpse of a deer on any local forest preserves anymore. The other thing is, they are baiting them with corn piles. Kind of messed up, since it’s illegal to feed them here. Kind of contradicts the whole cwd thing. I walked into a shooting site the other day shed hunting. No signs or warning. Just a big pile of corn and a ground blind( nobody in it). Pretty sure most of the shooting is done at night. It was also started as a doe only program. I have personally seen multiple large bucks on DNR trailers that they have shot. A friend of mines son got in as a shooter a few years ago. His first year, he shot over 60 deer himself.

10-Mar-23
I'd hate it if it happened near my hunting properties. I have friends in our DNR that have done it. All night hunts, supressed rifles and night vision/thermal. All killed over bait set out ahead of time. Deer have no chance. They do it for population control and I have begged them to do it in January while the horns are still on. CWD is a different objective, but no reason to kill bucks if it's strictly population control. They didn't agree, so bucks and does were on the hitlist. Stupid.

10-Mar-23
It’s illinois, what do you expect.

10-Mar-23
CWD is like Covid. The most damaging aspects come from the policy, not the disease.

10-Mar-23
Illinois is in the heartland. They call it the heartland because the brain isn’t there!

10-Mar-23
"CWD is like Covid. The most damaging aspects come from the policy, not the disease."

Spot on. Another way it's like Covid is the stupid Fed money states are getting for it.

10-Mar-23
The fat man probably figured out a way to tax it!

10-Mar-23
They get to close off the gates when they hunt. Doubt they’re any more a sharpshooter than the average guy here.

11-Mar-23
Not only WI it is the WI formula that failed miserably. But try to tell the idiots in the WDNR anything.

11-Mar-23
Hey now...it's a 3 letter agency (or 4 in this case). We should expect different?

At least in Wisconsin the DOR (Department Of Revenue) isn't as overwhelming as it is in Illinois! Our Fat Man taxes EVERYTHING!!!

11-Mar-23
Example after example of Anti hunters infiltrating game management.

They pay big money - taxpayer dollars- to sharpshooters…and the game meat is mostly wasted.

Versus, Bowhunters paying a small tag fee to go in there and harvest meat for their families which is a net positive for the game depts.

Oh the stupidity….

11-Mar-23
It's more than stupid, it's just flat out WRONG!

11-Mar-23
Ugh

12-Mar-23
Glad I moved away from Chicago suburbs in 2019 and no longer hunt anywhere near there. In like 2016 I participated in the first archery program that county offered. Drew the best unit, which was torn up top to bottom in 6”-14” rubs. Like a combat zone. But when my hunt began it was dam near devoid of deer, much less bucks. Afterwards spoke to the father of a sharpshooter who told me they had shot it out shortly before. His son took a 170”, 190” & a 200”+ among just his harvests. All buried in a landfill. Sounds like a plan.

17-Mar-23
Talking about CWD, I went a CWD conference back in 2001 in Denver and one thing they brought up was do not put piles of corn out in a CWD area. One deer eating from the pile will cause the spread of CWD throughout the whole herd. Need to broadcast over a large area to keeps particles with salivia from falling back into a pile. Personally I don't like baiting anyaway.

17-Mar-23
The last Chasing Giants Podcast with Don Higgins has a good segment about CWD on it. He has Dr Bronson Stricklund on there. It very interesting because Don sounds like most of us, but respected Dr. Stricklund like crazy and he explained the "other side" better than any government agency I've ever heard. Worth a listen I'd say.

17-Mar-23
It's done because of the leasing, buying and locking people out you cannot get regular local people to do the job. We have had Texans tell us the hogs are eating us out of house and home. We say we will bring some people to help you. They say, "bring your check book".

17-Mar-23
So keepem you know nothing about leasing. Just admit it.

Letting people hunt or even enter your property comes with lots of costs and issues

Please explain all of that to those of us that may not understand it all.

Will be waiting for your response

17-Mar-23
They say CWD will kill all your deer, so we will do it first… totally makes sense…

17-Mar-23
Ha they half to work during hunting season so now's there time. ;))

22-Mar-23
I stopped actively hunting IL as a NR in 2011. The cost of a license is ridiculous for the quality of bucks that live in that state now. In the early 2000's the hunting for quality bucks was phenomenal. Yes, I know big bucks are still killed there, but nothing like it was before it was taken over by outfitters and outdoor tv.

22-Mar-23
My area had no outfitters and no TV hunters that I know of. It crashed just like every other place in the state. The DNR is 100% responsible for the destruction of the Illinois deer herd.

22-Mar-23
A friend in Winona MN tells me the same BS is going on there... DNR bait and shoot. The twin cities and chicago seem to have something in common... If only I could put my finger on it.

Once there's no deer but plenty of coyotes and wolves, hunting wont be necessary...

22-Mar-23
Well I wonder if wolves had CWD would they be shooting them up? I doubt it. I'll doesn't give a shit about bowhunting/bowhunters. They worry about the AG and the farmers bitching about crop damage and the insurance companies bitching about claims from deer/car accidents. They are shooting up the areas I hunt and it's made hunting tough. They claim once the get negative samples they will stop but I kind of doubt it. Are the culling elk and deer out west? I've always heard melk have had CWD forever, so why aren't they sharpshooting them?

22-Mar-23
Well, it is Illinois.

22-Mar-23
"Letting people hunt or even enter your property comes with lots of costs and issues" I'll agree with some of the issues, depending on the type person/people you let enter, but what costs come with letting someone enter your property?

23-Mar-23
The cost for letting responsible hunters use your property in Illinois is 0. Illinois passed a law making a land owner immune to any lawsuit if a hunter is hurt in the property, as long as that hunter did not pay a fee. If the land owner leases or charges a per died then they are liable.

23-Mar-23
That is a great law if you are letting people hu to your land for free. For landowners that wish to include leasing in their income column for their farm it ducks. But thank good for other insurance policies that protect all parties

• Sitka Gear