Buglemaster 22-Mar-23
fuzzy 22-Mar-23
Brotsky 22-Mar-23
Paul@thefort 22-Mar-23
TGbow 22-Mar-23
Whocares 22-Mar-23
Rgiesey 27-Mar-23
11-Mar-23
When are we too old to continue hunting? At 67 years old, this is a question in the back of my mind nowadays. Although I've had one knee replacement surgery, and I'm looking at second one in the future, hunting has been my passion now that I'm retired and the kids are all grown. I solo hunt nowadays because the young hunters don't wish to babysit the old guy. Using a game cart and hunting moderate terrain, I still pursue hunting deer and elk as I constantly reevaluate my limitations. I'm constantly having to rethink my hunting strategy to suit my physical ability. I realize each hunt is a gift from God nowadays, and one day I will not be able to walk the distance and fire just one more shot. That's when I will have aged-out of hunting! Until then, whether I fill my tag or not. I will continue to love the hunt and being out in God's creation.

11-Mar-23
I’m a little ways behind you age wise…..

Its the opposite for me…..impending Elk tag and Kodiak deer trip are whats incentivizing me to stay in shape.

11-Mar-23
I'll be 69 in May, with a metal hip, asthma, and Pulmonary Hypertension, and not nearly ready to throw in the towel. Getting old does present challenges for mobile big game hunters, though. Thankfully my heart and knees are good. I hunt the mountains solo. Just have to change how and where I hunt.

11-Mar-23
Jan 29,2019 I had a quadruple bypass operation at the age of 71. I had a bear hunt in Canada scheduled for June and a Kodiak hunt in October. Those trips were motivation to rehab hard and I made both trips. 74 now still going! Bear hunt in May.

11-Mar-23
Turning 60 this summer. I can smell it but can't see it yet. I figure I've mentored enough young hunters I should have someone to drag em for me when I'm too old.

11-Mar-23
wild bill,I am 63.The same thought has crossed my mind. My dad passed away this past December at 90 years old. I know how much he loved hunting and tried to get him out as long he could. The last time was several years ago on a one day deer hunt with a rifle. I had to carry his gun for him and help him walk.We never saw any game but it was one of my best days hunting ever. As for myself,I work out year round staying in shape for the next season.An acquaintance of our family hunted our elk hunting area until a couple of years ago, he was 98.I guess what I'm trying to say is nobody knows how much time we have left to enjoy the things we love.Just do them as often as you can especially with the people you love.Give them the memories to carry for the next generation.

11-Mar-23
I will be 69 this year. I’m starting to break down enough that I am thinking that my hunting days are coming to an end. I think I still have one maybe two more years left. At the rate I am falling apart that would probably be it. It’s the most depressing thought I can have.

11-Mar-23

BlacktailBob's embedded Photo
BlacktailBob's embedded Photo
I'll be hunting with a young man in his 80's on Kodiak Island in November. I hope I'll be able to keep up with him.

11-Mar-23
Paul@TheFort is my yardstick for how old is too old.

11-Mar-23
"Don't let the old man in"

--Clint Eastwood

11-Mar-23
I'm 61 and still love hunting and fishing just as much as when I was young. It's the killing part that I don't care for much these days. Kinda hard to explain but the older I get I seam to have developed a conscious about killing that I didn't have in my younger years. Don't get me wrong we eat deer,critters & fish that I've killed the majority or our meals. 12 deer this past season to be exact. As I said kinda hard to explain, I'm thankful for the ability to hunt, fish and the food it provides, I just don't care for the remorse I feel about killing as I get older.

11-Mar-23
Larry D is a stud!

I hope to die on the mountain. I turn 65 in September and feel better than when I was in my 30's. I just hope I can still get a tag in 20 years.

11-Mar-23
Timex, I feel the exact same way. I'm 39 and talked about it with my dad who is 72. He feels the same way. I was talking with a friend last night and told him the thing that I dislike most about hunting is the killing side of it. I expect this will only get worse with age. Unfortunately, it's part of the game.

When I was a kid, I had a scoped .22 and I would run around and shoot everything small that moved. Today, I'd never think of doing that unless it was a varmint. I guess we all change over time.

11-Mar-23
Turn 69 in June and still going strong. Keep moving!

11-Mar-23
“what I'm trying to say is nobody knows how much time we have left to enjoy the things we love.Just do them as often as you can especially with the people you love.Give them the memories to carry for the next generation.”

^^This.

I may have many years ahead of me yet. This Fall could be my last, or I might not even make that. I don’t know, but then nobody does.

I will quit when I can’t get an animal out of the woods, and I hope to be in a position to have (or hire) enough help (when needed) to buy me a few extra years. That will mean that I will have to give up solo trips somewhere along the way, which is too bad… Because I really enjoy being out there, all by myself, knowing that whether I go home or not, and in what condition is entirely up to me and the mountain, but as bohunr said, at some point it will no longer be about Me… which I guess I have been getting used to over the past 20 years. Might get a little more Me Time once Thing Two is off to school and after I have quit the rat race; right now just trying to get focused on what I can do to prevent that “when to quit” decision from being made For me…

11-Mar-23
Midwest.., yes he is.

While the same thought has entered my mind, so has there’s many hunts I’d like to do and lord willing I’ll be able to.

One thing is for certain.., and I want to clarify, I too wanted to shoot everything that moved when I started hunting, but having the opportunity to chase other critters, mostly on trips, has now become, focus on one goal and one animal.

Keep hunting guys… the memories are many.

TSW

11-Mar-23
Nick, the elk hunter I was guiding who died suddenly on the mountain went out the right way, albeit a few years younger than I would want. His (almost) last words were "This is the most beautiful morning I've ever seen, and I'm finally getting to hunt elk with my son" The last sound he heard before he collapsed beside me was a bull bugling close by. Can't write a better script for an ending than that for a hunter.

11-Mar-23
Lou....perfect death. Go ahead and leave me for carrion.

11-Mar-23
Timex, I'll be 60 this summer and my thoughts and actions are very similar to yours. Minus the killing of 12 deer of course. I was fortunate to get my first Arizona archery antelope though.

11-Mar-23
I’m 69 and still do most my elk hunting solo. I got back into working out year-round, but I’m much smarter about it now…I’ve learned to listen to my body and back off when I need to back off. I have bad ankles, knee, shoulder, elbows, etc. Too many years of sports and heavy weight training. When hunting, I’ve learned to pace myself. If I feel like taking a day off, I take a day off. For packing one out, I invested in a quality pack frame, and trekking poles are a must. I still take them out on my back, I just pack lighter loads and make more trips. I’m sure there will come a time when I’m only able to head to the mountains and just camp, but God willing, that’s still a long way off.

11-Mar-23
Keep going as long as you can and cherish every moment! I can only hope that when it's time for me to stop entering the woods that I'm content with what I did with my youger yrs.

11-Mar-23
LOL! Well Bill I've been wondering myself on that issue. The year before last I couldn't hunt because of a quadruple bypass and last year my sciatica held me back for months and I only got out twice. I'm physically fit and mentally well with next season to look forward to, barring the unforseen, I'll turn 75 late October. I'm certain that at some point the dirt above my coffin lid will stop me.

11-Mar-23
I’m only 62 but last year was really tough due to some health problems. I’m retired now so I have more time for exercise & watching my weight. Dropped about 35# since mid January. Working on strength & stamina but exercise is aggravating old injuries. The climbing trees & hanging stands was tough last year. I’ll keep fighting to stay out there although most of my partners have already bowed out.

11-Mar-23
We don't all age at the same pace. I am 51 and have pushed myself hard physically and am trying to assume a more moderate approach so that everything is not shot in 20 years. I have a good friend that is 51, maybe 6'1", 220 lbs (and not a muscular 220). He plays baseball still. Catcher. Will catch 18 innings in a weekend when his team goes to the senior or masters or whatever it is called world series. He has zero aches or pains. He just has different genetics, good nerve velocity, good vascular flow....

I have days where i think about going to Panama for some stem cell therapy for my lower back or whatever.

I value, you guys who are my senior, your perspective in gratitude, pushing wisely and accepting the limitations but not embracing them.

11-Mar-23
“As long as I can, I will”

No reduction in desire to pursue or to scale back in any way. I average around 90 days each year. Genetics and desire vary greatly but what ever works for you.

11-Mar-23
My wife’s grandfather hunted until the end…86. He shot a doe freehand at 165 yards his last whitetail hunt with his 243. They had the shooting sticks and asked if he wanted him and his response was, “nope, those are just so you have something else to carry around”. RIP Grandpa

11-Mar-23
As a friend of mine once said: Getting old is not for sissies. I'm 66, and These last 2 years I have had a hard time trying to get my butt out there. I have wonderful places to hunt in Ohio and Penna. But there are times I don't really care if I shoot or not. Yes, I have a wheel cart to get them out. But, I still don't care. Yes I have people telling me that I'm depressed. My daughter is a teacher /therapist. She tells my wife that I must go on medications. Up your a$$. I do enjoy hunting. I would love to do one more elk hunt, but I don't see that happening. Plus, I don't have GWH (great white hunter) written after my name. Lets go an have fun.

11-Mar-23
I am 75 this year and still plan on hunting if I get drawn. Have had knee replacement, cancer from agent orange, several broken bones from motorcycle accident but still not ready to give it up.

11-Mar-23
I’m 62 and will turn 63 this December. Still in good shape and hunt solo most of the time. I workout 6 days a week. I have plan on hunting as long as possible unless a WY grizzly gets me:)

Like stated you need to know you’re limitations, but exercising and not gaining a lot weight helps tremendously.

11-Mar-23

Archbull's embedded Photo
Never give up!!!
Archbull's embedded Photo
Never give up!!!

11-Mar-23
MA-PAdeerslayer, sounds like my grandpa. He killed a doe with his .30-30 in Nov, passed in January just before his 80th. COPD for years. kept plugging.

11-Mar-23
I was 75 last September when I got a nice 5X5 bull. I think many people can extend their hunting life by using a tree stand. You may choose to hunt that way full time, or you can hunt from one just when you don't feel like hiking around. You don't even have to be old to appreciate a tree stand, and they can be very effective if placed right. The Lord willing, I plan to be back hunting again this September.

11-Mar-23
At 63, accumulated injuries are putting a hurt on my run-n-gun elk chasing. But timing ain’t bad since drawing quality elk tags is getting near a pipe dream these days. I feel very lucky that I very much enjoy tree stand hunting. That can be done to an old age. Even sitting wallows for elk. Also, lucky to have an Illinois LL so I will have cheap quality whitetail hunting for life. I live healthy, do what doc says, and have no desire to retire. Love both my job & hunting. Plan to work & hunt till I can’t.

11-Mar-23
Trying to stay fit in my 50’s so I can chase elk and deer in my 80’s. My dad hunted till he was 78. He had a stroke and that ended his hunting a couple years ago.

11-Mar-23
I am 73 and yes have medical issues. I don't whine. I just get at it. I am not on the cancer ward so I am lucky.

Your too old when your dead.

11-Mar-23
70 here. The mid-day nap on the mountain while elk hunting has become a little more important over the last few years otherwise I'm out there every fall as long as the tags are available.

11-Mar-23

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
My father in law killed his last buck at 94. And he killed it with my Browning Gold 10 gauge!

11-Mar-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I have no desire to quit bowhunting. I say I started in 1956 as that is when I bought my 1st real bow & joined a club. I began competing again in 2010 & look forward to the fun events with the 'old" guys I compete against. I kill less now & it's not because I can't. My "must fill tag" days are long gone. I still fool them on a regular basis & I prove it by shooting them with my camera at close range.. Being old I was able to bowhunt pretty much every critter I desired & have been blessed with a wide variety of assorted biggame.. Longevity, now, has allowed me to share my love of bowhunting with My Kids & several G-kids & makes it more enjoyable (8 family members in some form of archery/bowhunting). Physically my knees are shot but not so much I can't make it to "a stand" someplace.

11-Mar-23
Age 76......Just returned from a week javelina hunt to find I drew an elk tag for AZ unit 27. Still hunting alone and putting on the miles.

11-Mar-23
Get em btb! >>>————>

11-Mar-23
My next birthday I’ll be 60. Recently I’ve turned over a new phase and really started working out and hiking 9 miles a week.

It’s been my goal to find elk spots within a mile from a vehicle so when I become an old man I can still get it done.

So far I’ve found several places that are good hunting.

11-Mar-23
I just turned 60 and my shoulders are bad. Hopefully a left shoulder replacement in the next couple years keeps me in the game. But yeah, hunt smarter. Less brute force or pushing the physical envelope. Hoping to continue well into my 70s.

11-Mar-23
My grandpa and dad both had a bucket list item to be the only one in our family to kill a buck and a bear once in their 90s. Unfortunately, neither made it so it's on my bucket list. 60 soon so lots of years to pray and hope I am in good enough shape and health to make it happen!

11-Mar-23
I'll be 62 Tomorrow. I do not feel that old. I see patients in my Office every day, that are way younger than I am, that are in pathetic shape, makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

I've been working out Mon-Thursday, 30 pound pack on my back, sweating it out uphill on the treadmill, for about 15 years now. 200 pushups, 200 butterfly crunches...trying to stay "lean and mean".

Still hauling 80 to 100 pound loads, up the Mountain, on those elk hunts. Archery elk hunting is my sole motivation, for staying in shape. Hoping I can continue for another 20 years, like my Idol, Paul Navarre ! :^D

11-Mar-23
We're too old when we can't or won't do it anymore. Varies from one person to the next. Might be 50. Might be 90. Lots of factors.

11-Mar-23
age and the physical decline certainly play a role but, imo it is more mental interest and desire to continue than anything else.

having an area with decent game populations relatively close by helps keep the interest and desire as we get older. most of us don't want to drive for a half day or more one-way to hunt.

there are exceptions among us though, that's for sure.

11-Mar-23
I'll be 67 in a month and still at it, although a little slower these days. Shoulder surgery, back surgery and a bad knee will do that. I've just learned to adjust with age.

11-Mar-23
I'll be 73 in August, just before I head out to chase elk....

11-Mar-23
Jaq's post about Nick makes me think about my 2022 bow elk hunt at 84 years old and how I have extended my hunting years by continuing to mentor my sons and granddaughter bowhunting. Jaq's story hits home because as I woke from a nap in camp at over 10k ft. after a morning hunt l realized something was terribly wrong as I could not remember my sons name, grandkids names, my wife's name, my name or the name of my Toyota Tacoma. I ended up in the ER almost 3 hours away with a mini stroke. Having had a full blown stroke 4 years ago and another mini stroke later, I was actually relieved that l recovered rather quickly from this one. I am still looking forward to a possible Utah mule deer bowhunt this year. One thing that I have to remember is that there is only one Paul at The Fort and that my days are somewhat numbered. You young 60 year olds can have many years left to hunt so keep looking forward especially if you are building those good points. Good hunting to you all, Badbull

11-Mar-23
I am in my late 60's and do not worry about it at all. When I am done with my stickbows and cedars, then I am done bowhunting, period.

11-Mar-23
69, and the truth is that I have less interest in killing anything. Yeah, if the 'right' deer offers itself up with a gimme shot, I'll take it. But bad knees and arthritis (cold *sucks*) are taking the fun out of it. Druther shoot 3-D on a nice day and whack 30 foam critters. No muss, no fuss.

(And I have as much fun *setting* the courses as shooting them.)

11-Mar-23
I love reading these threads as I find them motivational. Keep at it fellas!

11-Mar-23
The mental part is no issue for me. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about bowhunting. It's my passion for sure. I don't see it waning anytime soon.

11-Mar-23
12yards x2…. I’m a young whipper snapper but not a day goes buy I ain’t thinkin about huntin….not a single day….

11-Mar-23
Still have the same drive and desire at 62, as I had 25-30 years ago, but my body is telling me that I don’t have the same ability. Some arthritis, shoulder issues, etc. will eventually dictate what I can or cannot do. I just booked a bucket list mountain goat hunt for 2024. I feel that if I don’t do it soon, I won’t physically be able to. Fortunately, there are tons of other much less strenuous hunts that one can do, as long as the body holds up. I do not foresee my desire to ever wane. It’s not just what I love, but a huge part of who I am.

12-Mar-23
my Dad made it to 87 .... last year he didn't hunt at all i don't think

he's 88 this year and he MIGHT turkey hunt a day or two

12-Mar-23
Well hunting comes in many forms and if you are unable to heft the larger animals then. You need to adjust your game. Rabbits, birds, varmit said etc... I hunt a lot of public land and lots of younger guys out there willing to help out a senior hunter and as long as your upright there will always be a hunt out there for you. And Shame on the young guys who don't want to babysit the oldman, after all didn't you babysit them when they got started?

12-Mar-23
"We're too old when we can't or won't do it anymore. Varies from one person to the next. Might be 50. Might be 90. Lots of factors."

Well said. I'm 77 and fortunately have no health issues compared to many. Although I can't ramble as far or as fast as 40 years ago I still get around better than most my age.

12-Mar-23
Great thread. We live in chapters. This chapter of my life, I appreciate things more than I ever did. I absolutely love sunrises. I love reading Bowsite threads every single morning. This thread is good for all of us that love the woods. God has given us another day to be brothers in the woods. Thank you!

12-Mar-23
At 58 im still not ready for pasture yet. But i do know one thing, once you hit that upper 50's mark it becomes more important to maintain your physical condition.

Once yo lose it, it will be hard to get it back.

12-Mar-23
I’ll be 73 in September- after hip replacement & back surgery still going strong! Just got back from a week of skiing in Colorado - awesome! Motion, is lotion! A lot of it is between your ears.

12-Mar-23
Eating properly, working out daily, keeping my weight down, quitting the booze and cig's, listening to my body and not overdoing anything negative are some of my guidelines for staying in the game longer and stronger.

69 years old last month.

I'll prolly die with points on some species no doubt before I draw out.

Good luck, Robb

12-Mar-23
Get em btb! >>>————>

12-Mar-23
My pops killed a cow last year at 79. He has had knee replacement 2 years ago and just got done w cancer treatment…

Expect him to draw this year and if not a lo tag is heading his way so he will be on the hill again this year. I sure hope for him to get another in his 80’s.

He took care of himself as a ex endurance runner and marathoner. He still lives at 9k ft. Non drinker and never smoker. Never lived around the toxic mess that are cities.

12-Mar-23
Just saw a picture posted in the WI Traditional magazine of a longbow hunter shooting cedar with a mature bull elk he took the week before he turned 82. That's impressive.

12-Mar-23
I was eyeballing a fir tree yesterday that this summer I will hang a stand in. It was the first time I have ever thought of my age. I thank God I can still climb every mountain and hill without too much trouble at 67. I speed walk 4 miles a day and it makes a gigantic difference in my endurance. I am shooting a bow better then any time in my life. My brother drives me crazy that he never preps for hunting season and basically has surrendered to being 70. I keep begging him to exercise but he wont.

12-Mar-23
70 years young. Work out daily during the winter months, go biking 10 to 15 miles spring and summer. Have to stay active. Golf without a cart, that's a good 2 miles with weight on my back. Still have all original parts but many aches and pains. Got my wife into bowhunting 4 years ago and she loves it. She'll be trying for deer, bear, and turkey this year with her vertical. One issue i have is being color blind. It's an absolute must to have help tracking! I'm gonna keep bowhunting till i can't.

12-Mar-23
Mooseslayer have you tried the Enchroma glasses?

12-Mar-23
I have not. Can they help? It's red, green, and brown i have trouble with.

12-Mar-23
Bloodvision glasses use a patented technology called Optichromatic Filtration to help you see blood by intensifying red colors while filtering and muting all other

EnChroma glasses use high-tech lenses that allow colorblind patients to recognize colors better. They filter out certain wavelengths so your brain can distinguish red and green wavelengths more accurately.

12-Mar-23
turn 69 in Nov have no intention of slowing down wife gets worried of me hunting alone but always told her if i dont make it home at least you know that i died a happy man doing what i loved!!!!!

12-Mar-23

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
LBshooter, you are right. Hoping my youngest son, waterfowler extraordinaire, will take me out to shoot some birds when I'm too old to go myself.

12-Mar-23
I'm with Eastwood..... Don't let the old man in

12-Mar-23

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
A man must know their limitations doesn't take much to hunt a blind or fish. Duck hunting and dog training were my first loves after fishing. Fish fear me at 75

12-Mar-23
A man must know their limitations doesn't take much to hunt a blind or fish. Duck hunting and dog training were my first loves after fishing. Fish fear me at 75

12-Mar-23

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
The clock ticks for everyone...I guided my Dad to a bull moose at 78 and a cow moose at 88. He is 96 now and called me all excited the other day..."Teddy have you seen all the geese around! Lets Go! I had to remind him about 4 years ago we tried a goose hunt hoping a goose would land in the spread and he could give one the "Lead Flapjack" ( no way he could shoulder a gun on a flying goose) but we had no luck and it was just too much of a struggle even under the best circumstance and he said he was officially retired...he said " Oh yeah I remember that :( But the takeaway was awesome I hope I never lose that feeling when I see game it is time to lock and load...

13-Mar-23
Keep it going guys!

13-Mar-23
Don't forget to get your calcium CT scan when you get 55+ so the ole heart stays strong. Most insurance doesn't cover it, but it's like $125 and gives your doc an indication of how your arteries and vessels are doing (which an ekg can miss). Good luck.

13-Mar-23
May have to dial it back a bit and instead of slogging three miles across hummocks maybe hunt in the back forty closer to home, but the day I can't get out there is the day you can burn me and urn me. Life without hunting (and fishing) ain't no life at all as far as I'm concerned. Oh sure, there's still family and friends, but I don't think they'd wanna be around me, because without the outdoors I wouldn't be the same person. I say keep at it as long as humanly possible!

13-Mar-23

Mike Turner's embedded Photo
Mike Turner's embedded Photo
Always, always hunt with guys that are way older than you! Makes you look like the Stud of the group!

13-Mar-23

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
When I can’t draw my bow anymore….

13-Mar-23
I’ll be 68 in a couple of months. I have Sarcoidosis which affects my lungs and only one kidney and to top it off I’m now an insulin dependent type 1 diabetic. That said, my last elk guide told me he has never had a client my age that could go the way I could. It takes working out daily to keep the cobwebs at bay….I’m realistic and know my limitations, and allow a bit longer to get there these days. I also will look into some canyons and just say no. I want to work for it, but enjoy myself at the same time. I plan to hunt until I can’t, then at least go be in camp. There is always something about a mountain that seems to put a bit more life back in the soul again…..

13-Mar-23
76 but still trying had knee replacement then I dislocated it twice ouch,rotator cuff surgery,ouch,plus the afib and the sinus surgery double ouch. I have slowed but working to stay in the game.Hell y’all know what I’m talking about if you really love this journey there is alternative you just keep on keeping on.Good luck Lewis

13-Mar-23
Listen to your body, it will tell you when you are to old.

14-Mar-23
Buffalo1 if I did that I'd be done already. Lol

15-Mar-23
The only concessions to old age I've made are an Inreach and a recently purchased electric bike that I'll use for hunting and scouting. At 67 I'm blessed with no health, joint, muscular issues, and none of my "hold my beer" moments resulted in permanent injuries. I've been a gym rat all of my adult life, run and bike. As said "never let the old man in". "Age out"?? What in the world are you talking about?

15-Mar-23
Do any of you fellas use anything like Relief Factor!

Last weekend I was cleaning the yard and managed to stumble while moving a heavy trash can. I caught myself, but hit my left side on the can and bruised a rib. It hurts, not debilitating, but more of a painful nuisance. I cracked a rib 20 years ago, but I was In my late thirties, and I don’t remember it hurting this bad.

I’m just wondering if that stuff works for those aging joint aches and pains?

15-Mar-23
Bill brought up a great question. If you look at the responses we are an old group. I think I have a solution that will keep it from happening. I have a seven year old granddaughter and a three year old grandson that will help me. She always has. I started taking her fishing when she was four. We are waiting until ice out so her brother can join us. My plan is to take them squirrel hunting as soon as they understand what death is. Think about it. You can walk a short distance and sit quietly. You are likely to see game within a half an hour and your youngster may get a shot. I did that with my kids and an patiently waiting. There is nothing like taking small game then dressing and eating it in the woods over a fire you built together. These young adults still talk about the first hunt with me. I guess they got almost as much out of it as I did. I am not opting out I am changing the focus.

15-Mar-23
Have to use your head instead of your feet, knowing one's limitations can make a good day or bad day. It is the journey instead of the ride and it all comes to an end sometime, enjoy the hunt.

15-Mar-23
Have to use your head instead of your feet, knowing one's limitations can make a good day or bad day. It is the journey instead of the ride and it all comes to an end sometime, enjoy the hunt.

18-Mar-23

Tennlabs's embedded Photo
Tennlabs's embedded Photo
I'm 74 and got two bucks this year, Ohio and Kentucky. Best one was 164. Still loving it but slowing down. No elk since 2020. Wicked hard to pack out and not sure how much longer I can, but still going next year. Never give up guys! Slow down though.

18-Mar-23
Well Bill, I guess it isn't a question of age, rather, ability.

18-Mar-23
Got my first hunting license in 1961. Been hunting every year since then, except for some time out for the army. I live at 6200 feet, hike or snowshoe every other day. Haven’t hunted elk for the last couple of years, not because of the packing, but because of too many hunters on the public land l hunt. Hunt solo for the last 15 years. Enjoy mule deer and antelope nowadays in private ranch here in northern Colorado ( 6000 acres, no hunters!!) Find myself enjoying the sunrise and sunset more than ever. Used to wait for the big ones, but now look for mature ones. These days it’s the experience that l enjoy. To me that’s what it’s about. Hopefully l’m no where near hanging it up! Be 84 in July. When the time comes l don’t want anyone standing at the foot of my bed wringing their hands, rather they be up on the mountain trying to locate my sun bleached bones!!

18-Mar-23
Good for you, Ursman! My biggest fear in life is some day being a burden on my family.

18-Mar-23
All this talk about old men has given me a idea I'll go shoot my bow in the basement.

19-Mar-23
Great thread!!

kscowboy, Timex and greenmountain...I couldn't agree more!!

I'm about to be 55. It's about being smart and knowing your limitations in order to keep the ship running for me. Stay in shape, eat right, and keep the weight down. My old man always said to "have something to look forward to in life no matter what it is". He is greatly missed but there is always something I try to plan (mostly hunting or fishing) to look forward to. I hope I never lose the want to get out there. My 14 yoa daughter's zest to hunt and fish is my motivation to stay strong and healthy.

Keep going guys!

22-Mar-23

Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Buglemaster's embedded Photo
In my prime at 67… well mabe not quite. Bum shoulder, bad knee and can’t hear squat without cranking those artificial ears up all the way. But I still get as pumped up about the coming seasons as I did at 16. I hunt with my 44 year old Son & his high school buddy ( another son). They baby me like I’m an old man. Up until a few years ago I was in the lead up the hill every morning & evening. Time has caught up with me & now I step aside & tell them to just go on ahead, I’ll catch up. Had a simple carpel tunnel surgery on my bow hand Oct 30th last year. When I asked about bow hunting deer in November he said ABSOLUTLY not for 6 weeks… he was full of schmidt…! Pic is of my buck 3 weeks out. Someday I’ll resort to camp cook & guarding that beverage cooler, but until then…

22-Mar-23
Buglemaster I'm with you my friend. I had shoulder impingement surgery AND carpal tunnel surgery on the left side in July 2020. Didn't bowhunt that fall but killed a hog with the recurve in March '21

22-Mar-23
When you stop moving you start dying. Go as hard as you can for as long as you can. That may look different as you age but never stop moving. Guys like Paul and Nick above are great motivation for me to stay in shape and keep moving!

Oh, and more importantly, lose weight! That's the biggest single issue I see in most older hunters slowing down, they are too heavy!

22-Mar-23
Thirty Eight year ago, I challenged myself to run a 26 mile marathon. Before I turned 40 years, I had run two, 4 half marathons, and a dozen or more 10Ks over the next few years. So begun the life style of being fit and staying healthy and while I do not run any more, the healthy life style stays with me daily.. I have attended the same gym here in Ft. Collins for the past 21 years, mostly in the winter but ride my mt bike and hike in the summer; all geared towards solo elk archery hunting in Sept, and then other deer hunts in the Fall; followed by duck, goose and pheasant hunts. And of course, just being healthy. Running those races over the years, taught me the physical as well as mental strength/ desire and passion, is important in life as one moves forward in life. "life is like a Marathon, all one as to do is place one foot in front of the other, to finish and to finish strong", quote by Paul Navarre. A proud 83 years old and still going strong. Looking forward to this elk season, solo hunting, and bagging another elk. Legs and lungs, legs and lungs.

I have cranked down my compound bow from 65 # to 60#, but can still draw and shoot my 55# recurve. Yea, I hunt and train at a slower pace, but smarter, and more confident in my hunting skills learned over the years. If I feel any muscle over -use, I stop that exercise and let it rest. Being wise on how to conduct one's life as we mature physically and mentally, needs to be on a person's mind all the time. The life we now live is not a dress rehearsal for one's, the next life.

22-Mar-23
I hope everybody here will be able to hunt well into your years. I'm over 60, I thank God I can still get out there and do it. My Dad is 94, had a hip surgery fee months back..he says he is gonna go hunting again as soon as he can walk on his own again.

22-Mar-23
Paul said it well. Need to keep going. Fall and elk hunting is my big motivator too. I work out at the Y all winter and at home. Walk 3 miles a day at the Y 5-7 days a week and do squats and dead lifts for the legs and core. Not a lot of weight anymore cuz I'm 76. Do 120 lbs squats and dead lifts normally and more at times. Just trying to maintain. Summer walking is on the local ski hill. And always thinking about the Fall while doing it. I've been a widower for 23 years so need to motivate myself. A lot of snowshoeing in the winter. Still damn winter here! Have a son that encourages me. Says failing legs are what puts people in the nursing home. But he says I could play kick ball there while sitting in a chair! Kick his ass if I could catch him! Life is good, but you gotta make an effort.

Bought a new bow couple weeks ago. Hoyt RX 7. It is awesome. Shoot most days at our club's nice indoor range. And enjoy Bowsite for the most part! And vodka and Smoking Loon merlot. Love college sports and don't know what I'll do tonight waiting for tomorrow's Sweet 16. So keep doing stuff you like and work your muscles maybe a little more than you want and look forward to Fall. Or summer fishing. Be happy and positive with others (unless they're Hawkeye or Badger fans).

And thanks for listening. Think I'll open a bottle of Smoking Loon and check You Tube for the latest on "Three Old Guys" snowmobiling to Alaska from here in Grand Rapids, MN.

27-Mar-23
Ha! You are doing he stud of that group. When you run Luke into the ground this September that will be something.

• Sitka Gear