Grey Ghost 14-Mar-23
WI Shedhead 14-Mar-23
Corax_latrans 14-Mar-23
trophyhill 14-Mar-23
keepemsharp 14-Mar-23
12-Mar-23

Zbone's Link
‘Shocked and devastated’: Freight train kills entire herd of elk:

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/03/11/shocked-devastated-freight-train-kills-entire-herd-elk/

12-Mar-23
Has happened here in Colorado when deep snow forces some wildlife to use the RR tracks as a travel route. They get caught in the funnel , and some can not escape. ePARSHALL, Colo. — Contact Denver7 is looking into reports from our mountain viewers that trains are taking out deer, elk, and other animals in alarming numbers.

The viewers blame speeding trains and said they were getting no response from the train companies themselves.

Between Parshall and Kremmling in Grand County, Pamela Guzman has watched the wildlife crossing Highway 40 for years.

"There's herds of elk. There are herds of deer, and they're constantly going back and forth because that's the river there and that's BLM land there," said Guzman, who said the wildlife crossing can be deadly when trains pass through the community. "They honk at the last minute, and that's why we've got so many dead things on the track."

12-Mar-23

WhattheFOC's Link
In case you never saw this one …

12-Mar-23
Speeding trains? Gimme a break. People are clueless

12-Mar-23
Speeding trains? Gimme a break. People are clueless

13-Mar-23
That pronghorn massacre is insane. Hadn't seen that one yet.

13-Mar-23
I couldn’t tell if the engineer was trying to slow down or if that's just not A Thing That Freights Do… seems like it might have been possible to get it down to “slower than a speed goat”, but that does depend on what’s behind him.

I just know that I taught my boys that there’s a simple way to know if a train is going to stop before it gets to you, and that’s “if it’s moving, it’s not stopping.”

That was hard to watch.

13-Mar-23
Ive been an engineer for 32 years. The only time you slow that 15k+ ton train down is when you hit a person or a vehicle. If you slow down for anything else the railroad will fire you. They don’t care what animals you hit or trees falling on the tracks or whatever. Get it from point a to point b safely and as quickly as possible. That’s what they pay you for.

That being said Ive killed 13 whitetails at one time. The train gobbles them up and rolls them into a ground up ball until Thiers nothing left.

You should see whAt a beef cow steer looking like when it explodes. You’d swear thier was #200 of shit in one of those things

13-Mar-23
There is about 1 million deer car accidents a year.

13-Mar-23
I agree the antelope one was hard to watch. Sorry railroad company I’m slowing down. God is my co-pilot……

14-Mar-23
I get where Shedhead’s coming from. They probably know if it would be safer to slow down or maintain, and time is money. Let alone the fuel input required to get that much mass back up to cruise speed.

It’s not what you’d want to be able to do, but that’s business… And when I’m sharing the highway with a big-rig, I don’t want him locking up and jack-knifing into my lane because of some stupid whitetail….

14-Mar-23
I don't know that there is much fuel wasted by slowing down. The drive motors are electric. The diesel engine runs the generator.

14-Mar-23
It was really hard to watch. I was thinking to myself that there is no way you can't slow down enough given how far you could see them away in that open prairie landscape, and the speed a pronghorn runs. You could easily slow down and not kill them.

Then I thought about all the variables. Pronghorn in Alberta/Saskatchewan are at the northern end of their range. I know here in Manitoba if many of the winter animals are run too hard they will literally die from a prolonged run due to the cold air intake beyond what they can handle. It made me think that considering they just run straight, if the operator slowed down and the pronghorns ran for an extra few miles straight instead of mowing down half the herd maybe he kills the entire herd due to cold air inhalation. Never know. Things aren't always as they first appear. Might be that running a quarter of them over is better than killing all of them.

14-Mar-23
Disgruntled TE&Y employees still whining because they didn’t get a bigger contract? Find another job, if you don’t like it.

14-Mar-23
A quick search shows that an average freight train traveling at 50-55 mph takes 1 to 1-1/2 miles to stop. The average car takes 200 feet.

Matt

14-Mar-23
Guess that’s what I get for explaining the railroads policy and why they do not stop. You guys are missing it. If you think I enjoy killing critters I don’t. But that’s what we have to do to stay employed. How do you explain to your family you wont have a paycheck anymore because you stopped the train for a flock of turkeys. Geez

14-Mar-23
“ an average freight train traveling at 50-55 mph takes 1 to 1-1/2 miles to stop.”

That’s not shocking. I might’ve guessed more, actually. I was curious as to how long it might take to get down to “slower-than-a-pronghorn”, but Adam raised a good point about running them to death without even hitting them, but depending on how long the train is, killing them all is probably a foregone conclusion….

14-Mar-23
Lets see if i can put this into perspecti e from a passenger vehicle stand point. I'll use an example of a real life experience. Actually there are 2 very similar experiences.

Incident number 1 my ex wife and i were coming back from a camping trip in the mountains 1 night about 20 years ago in NM. She was driving. As she comes around a long sweeping corner at about 55-60 mph siddenly there is a deer in the middle of the lane. She lets off the gas and hits the deer dead center of her Toyota pick up doing some cosmetic damage to the truck and killing the deer. I was proud of her quick reaction.

A year or 2 later on the same road different location i was in my 75 F250 Ranger back when a Ranger was a real truck and the same scenario played out accept the Highboy pickup came out without even a scratch. The deer actually went under the truck. Moral of the story? Never swerve at high speeds to avoid a deer sized or smaller animal. Your life could depend on that.

Why would a locomotive that takes over a mile to stop try and stop suddenly and risk his crew? It has to be chalked up as an unfortunate incident. The left is very good at humanizing animals.

14-Mar-23
One time huntin pheasants in W Kansas we found six dead angus in a railroad cut. Probably getting out of the wind and had broken a fence somewhere.

• Sitka Gear