17-Mar-23
Hell of a bull

17-Mar-23
Hell of a bull for sure! Great story!

17-Mar-23
Amazing bull!

17-Mar-23
Fabulous bull.

Sounds like P&Y/B&C would classify this an American Elk since it was apparently taken east of I-5 in the Cascade range. Curious if there's a DNA test to discern Roosevelt Elk, or do the orgs simply adhere to map boundaries? Great bull either way.

17-Mar-23
Any elk taken east of the boundary will be accepted as an American Elk…..which is what it is. There is no DNA test offered for elk from B&C and/or P&Y.

17-Mar-23
Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett will have it as an American Elk based on the location. Oregon has a boundary of “Cascade” Roosevelt Elk to the east of the B&C/P&Y boundary and to the top of the Cascades.

From what I understand, the DNA test is not as reliable for elk as for Blacktails or Coues/mule deer.

Will be the new state record American elk, by a pretty significant margin, so one hell of a bull!

17-Mar-23
It sure is…..a net 400” typical bull elk is a milestone and not as common as many think!

17-Mar-23
As rare as a typical 200” whitetail. Excellent.

17-Mar-23
Wow, great bull!

17-Mar-23
Super bull. The Hunter definitely earned that one.

17-Mar-23
Dam boy!!! That is a beautiful bull.

17-Mar-23
A little bit of miss-information in the OL article, and this thread. OL called me as it was getting published, so the information didn't get cleared up in time.

The Oregon Book has a separate category for elk taken between I-5 and the PCT. These are elk that have transplant history from both Roosevelt's elk out of Jewel Meadows and American Elk out of Billy Meadows in Oregon. They are measured using the Roosevelt's Elk measuring rules of B&C/P&Y and are called "Cascade Roosevelt's Elk". They have a similar category for Blacktail as well.

As an American elk, and for this bull specifically, this bull will incur deductions of "difference" on the G5, G6, and G7 points. So the final score will be different for it's P&Y entry.

This trophy has not yet been received / accepted here at P&Y but I was there when it was measured officially.

Tim (OMmedia)

17-Mar-23
Wow, what a monster -- agree, he earned that one.

18-Mar-23
Yes, that is a great breakdown on he got it done, very impressive! I really appreciated his drive & persistence! Once again the Bugle is what made the difference at the right time & distance! Well done Son!

ElkNut

18-Mar-23

• Sitka Gear