Buffalo1 22-Mar-23
DanaC 22-Mar-23
Zebrakiller 22-Mar-23
JohnMC 22-Mar-23
Buffalo1 22-Mar-23
WhattheFOC 22-Mar-23
ahunter76 22-Mar-23
21-Mar-23
Questions IF anyone knows. A relative of mine was at a Ducks Unlimited gathering in Illinois & WON a Safari hunt BUT I have some "questions". The place is White Lion Safaris. He gets 5 years to claim his win & a $1000 credit but it excludes air fare & trophy fees. Anyone have any info or ideas about this "win"? I looked them up & apparently this is something they do on a regular basis. Looks like to me the "free" is meals & lodging otherwise same as booking your own. Please chime in as I know several on here have been on Safari. Thanks. I'm pasting a portion of their web. I am NOT trying to advertise just get some answers on "is it legit".. PM is fine for answers. Thanks again, ahunter.. Pasted from site-Congratulations for deciding to embark to South Africa and venture out on safari in the Dark Continent! Below you will find all of the necessary links for you throughout the process. I recommend bookmarking this page so you can reference it again more quickly.

Below you will find all of the details on the trip you won as well as several resources to assist in planning your adventure. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions you have during the booking process! I've helped hundreds of clients over the years make a dream become a reality.

We just added the ability to complete your reservation form online directly from this page. Below you will find a button to take you to the fillable form. Complete the document, sign it, and the website will submit it directly to XXXXXX. If you don't see a confirmation from us within 48 hours, please resubmit the document.

All of our hunts come with the following Inclusions and Exclusions. You just have to apply them to the number of people in the hunt package you won, purchased, or were awarded.

Inclusions to your Safari Package:

- 7 Day hunt for up to Four hunters with XXXXX XXXXX Safaris in South Africa (depending on the package owned) - Services of a Licensed Professional Hunter - Transport to/from Kimberley or Bloemfontein airports to the Lodge - Serviced Accommodation - All Meals - Drinking Water, Soft Drinks, House Wine, and Beer - Laundry Service - Skinning and Field Preparation of harvested trophies - Each hunter will receive a $1000 Trophy Credit

Exclusions to your Safari Package:

- Air travel before, during, or after the contracted period of safari - Accommodation/travel charges incurred before/after the safari - Air Charters - Hired Rifles and Ammunition - Gratuities to Professional Hunters and other staff - Preparation, Packing, Documentation, and trophy export

Hunt is non-transferable and good for Five Years from the date of acquisition.

21-Mar-23
I don't know anything about White Lion in particular, but it sounds very typical of tge promotional packages that many African Outfitters donate to American fundraising banquets. Daily rates are often $350 per day, or more, so you'd be saving a lot there. Quite commonly, however, their animal prices are fairly high to offset the loss of income from daily rates, and they may hope you add extra days as well. I'd recommend 10 actual hunting days for an archery hunt.

21-Mar-23
Daily rate plus trophy fee is common. What you have won is 7 days worth of the ‘daily rate’ plus a grand toward trophy fees. The daily rate covers accommodation, meals, transportation within Africa. You did not win a completely free hunt (unless you choose not to shoot anything). Trophy fees are a a La carte fee per animal taken. You should look up their list of trophy fees and consult it while you make your hit list of desired animals. Add it up to get your total for trophy fees.

Your total costs will be: Daily rate - zero. Trophy fees - total from above minus $1000 Tips 10-15% of hunt cost ?? Air fare - ask Delta

The last significant cost is for getting horns home. Depends on how big the crate is - maybe the outfitter will know. Or someone on this site who has gone recently. Last time I went was 2016 and it’s gone way up since then.

21-Mar-23
Also clarify what they mean by ‘7 day hunt’. I bought a hunt at SCI one time - billed as a 7 day hunt. When I inquired about buying a couple extra days, they told me that days one and seven were actually travel days and there were only 5 actual hunting days. I thought that was a bit misleading, but being a fundraiser bought at auction I was at their mercy. Had to buy two extra days just to make my 7 day hunt a 7 day hunt.

21-Mar-23
WhattheFOC Just highlighted what’s wrong with all of this

Start from scratch and plan your own hunt with who you want to hunt with

This is a gimmick. Could be a great deal or not. Why gamble

21-Mar-23
A standard auction package. I agree with WTF, define "7 Days." Is the $1000 trophy credit a total for 4 hunters or per hunter. This could be significant in total cost of trophies. A $1000 can cover some cost on a larger animal. But $1000 divided by 4 hunters ($250) won't even cover the cost of an impala or warthog.

I would have gotten clarification before bidding on the hunt. But that was "yesterday" and now you are facing "tomorrow."

You are looking at 2 roundtrip airfares. US>Joburg & Joburg > Kimberly.

Best of luck on your investigation.

21-Mar-23
I'd be fairly certain that the $1,000 trophy credit would be per person. I've never seen it done any other way. Round-trip airfare is much more expensive this year than it has been for the past few. It's easy to check, but the prime bowhunting months of July, August are running $2,000+ right now. Bringing trophies home will likely costs at least $1,000-$1,500 per person and probably more, but it's dependent on the particular animals (mostly size/weight) and how many there are.

21-Mar-23
Your trip has the potential to be a good deal, or an expensive vacation. I do not know the outfit you mentioned. There is nothing inherently shady with this type of offering, but I usually wouldn't recommend it for a first time trip as there are many other potential costs NOT disclosed that fist time African hunters don't understand. As mentioned, often trophy fees are inflated to offset the free daily rates. You need to learn about all other costs including transportation from the airport, etc. You don't HAVE to bring trophies home, and this is another huge source of potential profit. You need to learn more about the property you would be hunting, the species available, free range versus put and take, etc. Again, some reputable operators offer this type of promotion. Unfortunately, some less reputable outfits use this promotion as part of a bait and switch as well. Check references carefully, and have someone you know familiar with African hunting talk with them as well. Your local DSC chapter may be a good resource. Bill

22-Mar-23
Another question that comes to mind is the hunter/PH ratio? 1x1, 2x1, etc.

22-Mar-23
TANSTAAFL

"Gospodin," he said presently, "you used an odd word earlier--odd to me, I mean..."

"Oh, 'tanstaafl.' Means ~There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.' And isn't," I added, pointing to a FREE LUNCH sign across room, "or these drinks would cost half as much. Was reminding her that anything free costs twice as much in long run or turns out worthless."

"An interesting philosophy."

"Not philosophy, fact. One way or other, what you get, you pay for."

From The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein.

22-Mar-23
it can also be 1 awesome experience, I won a trip on FB 1 year and now have been back to that place 7 times and they have become family

22-Mar-23
I recently ran a banquet. I found these African safari's come out the wood work wanting to 'donate' to your auction. Some from other places as well. Doesn't mean they are a bad Safari or you shouldn't go but they are donating to generate business for their operation in most cases. I see it a lot like a coupon for restaurant for a free dessert with your entree. Never seen one donated in a way you will not spend a lot of money with them on top of donated hunt.

22-Mar-23
I am not anti-auction hunts as I have gone on several. I have gone on two auctioned African hunts. Had great hunts with both outfitters. Would go again with either and have recommended both outfitters to hunters wanting to explore African hunts.

I did research before I submitted bids and ultimately won the bids. Great savings and great hunts.

22-Mar-23
Another thing with these donated hunts - I think some outfitters are tempted to treat you as a second rate client. I bought a donated “trophy sable” hunt at SCI … our first discussion was a disagreement about what a 7 day hunt is (see above). We hunted several days without seeing a sable. My PH and I both wanted to move to the other property across the road, but we could not do so until I had killed my sable. On about day 6, I finally killed one. It wasn’t huge, but ok. After that, we immediately moved to the other property. Obviously, the outfitter wanted me to kill more animals which means more trophy fees for them. On our first sit we had a HUGE sable come to the water … I looked at my guide and he just stared at the ground. It was painfully clear that the reason they had kept me on the other side of the road was so I wouldn’t kill one of the big ones. That experience has kinda turned me off on the whole ‘put and take’ South AfricA thing. ‘Fish in a barrel’ is one thing - but when you’re only allowed to fish in the small fish barrel, it starts to feel too contrived.

22-Mar-23
This was a given & my relative did not spend a dime to get it. He was chosen from a group of veterans, thus, the "free" part. Thanks for all the input & I will forward all this to him. At least he has 5 years to get the information needed. Thanks a lot fellas.

• Sitka Gear