soccern23ny 22-Mar-23
Murph 22-Mar-23
Scott/IL 22-Mar-23
Matt 22-Mar-23
walleyes 23-Mar-23
walleyes 23-Mar-23
willliamtell 25-Mar-23
22-Mar-23
I am looking at getting a new pack, one that will be around 6500 cubic inches. I think I have narrowed it down between Kuiu and Kifaru. Can you guys give me your input and the pros and cons to both?

22-Mar-23
Sooooooo…..I’ve used/owned/handled almost all of them. I think straight up quality out of the gate Kifaru is probably the best. IMO their frame is clearly the winner for extremely heavy loads. They are a bit heavy empty, and lack some of the organization/fluff of some others. I personally also don’t really like their modular system for adding pockets and stuff, and feel like they kinda missed the boat on the “meat shelf” type feature, although the new packs are starting to feature that.

I had the early Kuiu packs. Those had some frame issues, but I think they are past that now, would not be a concern for me. They are a little more organization focused it seems to me. A bit lighter overall on average. Come in cool camo patterns that match my britches.

My personal choice the last couple years is Stone Glacier. Enough organization, great frame/suspension. Great customer service and initial quality. Shaved a fair bit of weight off my kifaru set up. Really like the meat shelf. I will admit for HEAVY pack outs I missed the Kifaru. But it’s a trade off I’m willing to make as I don’t kill much stuff anyway, I’ll take 10 days of weight savings on the front end.

Also maybe look at EXO packs, I don’t own, but have been generally impressed with them.

—jim

22-Mar-23
I own both Kifaru and KUIU packs. Agree with Jim, Kifaru is a bit heavy empty...but I've never owned a better meat hauler. For elk, caribou, moose and bear hunting, the Kifaru is my go to pack.

Funny Jim mentioned Stone Glacier. My first Stone Glacier pack is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Bought the new Terminus 7000 designed specifically for mountain goat and sheep hunting. Hopefully that pack lives up to the reviews!

22-Mar-23
Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 with the x-curve frame. I have hauled a lot of heavy loads out of the mountains with mine over the past 3-4 years. Never let me down, comfortable, light when empty, great organization, overhaul an awesome pack.

22-Mar-23
I would also add Mystery Ranch to the list.

—jim

22-Mar-23
I’ve owned three Kuiu frames and bags and I’ve owned 5 Kifaru frames. I currently own a tactical and a lite.

As stated above, the comfort of the Kifaru loaded or not is really something to behold. Yes, it’s heavier than a Kuiu but, it’s much more comfortable. Loaded and unloaded.

A Kuiu frame is extremely stiff. So much so that it definitely affects comfort unloaded. During hunting times. While it’s not bad it’s not a Kifaru.

Loaded, the suspension between the two is no comparison. Kifaru all the way for comfort.

If it were me, I’d buy the Kifaru. The weight difference is going to be a pound or so heavier empty. But, the comfort empty and under load is no comparison.

22-Mar-23
I can’t speak on Kuiu packs. Never have owned one. However I have 5 Kifaru packs ranging from 1500 cubic inches to 7200.

When it comes to pockets and modularity I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Jim. I really like the way Kifaru does things.

My T1 I was able to get down to 5 lbs with some modifications but that pack has very little in the organization department.

My go to heavy load hauler is my duplex frame with cargo panel. That thing will carry more than my legs will.

22-Mar-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Can't help on those two but I love my Exo. They just launched their new frame worth a look.

22-Mar-23
Stone glacier made in usa

22-Mar-23
Kifaru Hoodlum for my money!!

22-Mar-23
I used a Kuiu 7200 for a few years. It was an okay pack, and served its purpose. 2 years ago I got a Kifaru Hoodlum and I can’t say Kuiu is even in the same class as it as far as the frame is concerned.

I probably prefer the Kuiu bag some just because it had a few more bells and whistles, but that Kifaru frame is a difference maker when loaded up.

22-Mar-23
Kifaru frames fit me like they were made for me. I have a ton of Kuiu clothing, the company is local-ish, and the founder was a friend, but I can’t bring myself to buy one of their big packs.

23-Mar-23
Another vote for exo. Everybody I know that has a stone or a kifaru or MR are also happy. They have good return policy so you can try them out for fit.

23-Mar-23

25-Mar-23
Mystery Ranch - hauled over 100 lbs in it a couple times and the groaning wasn't the frame.

• Sitka Gear