solo hunter19 01-May-23
28-Mar-23

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
I was gifted some elk livers and had some fresh pork hocks in the freezer so I whipped up some liver sausage. I like liver but the texture can be off putting, so the sausage is perfect! Once winter finally ends and I start spring beaver trapping I'll keep enough livers to make some more.

28-Mar-23
Not sure I could even eat it that way…

So many things my grandparents ate with gusto that I cannot even consider eating. Liver, brains, kidneys, intestines, etc. Was forced to eat a lot of that stuff as a kid and will probably never get over the revulsion the rest of my life.

28-Mar-23
Treeline, ever heard of liverwurst? As a kid, I used to enjoy it and thought it was pretty good. Same thing. Now, I HATED, with a passion, beef and pork liver and would have sat all night refusing to eat it. Still don't like it. Venison (Deer and Elk) liver is different, and I always liked it. But, I may have figured it out. I once gave a venison liver to Mom to cook for us. Well, she cooked it, cooked it a bit more, and then a little more just to be sure. Bless her heart, but it was like chewing on a piece of leather. J-do you have a recipe for us?

28-Mar-23
Yep! 6 pounds of cooked liver, 6 pounds of cooked pork hock, 2 onions. Grind together. Add 2 tablespoons each salt and pepper. Mix well and stuff into non edible ring casing. Poke holes in casing and fry in a pan, with a half inch to water, for around 20 minutes. I love it, we shall see what the rest for the family thinks.....

28-Mar-23
Why non edible casing over edible?

28-Mar-23
I like working with the non edible. After they are done cooking I peel them off.

28-Mar-23
I'll trade livers of stuff I kill in future for backstraps. Let me know if interested.

28-Mar-23
I'm with Treeline.....................

28-Mar-23
Good liver sausage I like. But man I've had some that was not so much........... Seems the liver to pork ratio is critical.

28-Mar-23
0% liver to 100% pork would be good for me lol

28-Mar-23
I like liverwurst. The only way I like fried liver is with onions. Something about the onions changes the flavor. I usually won’t eat just straight fried liver. I have eaten raw liver on a dare or two. It took all I had not to puke on those ones! Lol

28-Mar-23
Yum! I'd have dine Boudain but that's just because I love Boudain. I love liver any species and any way it's prepared.

28-Mar-23
Love some good Boudain. With saltine crackers and Tabasco sauce.

28-Mar-23
I started taking the liver and heart from every deer I take (Turkeys too). The heart is usually dinner. But, I know I have at least 6 lbs of liver and 6 lbs of pork in the freezer. J-do you cook the onion first? All of my pork is wild with little to no fat content. Will I need to add fat?

28-Mar-23
Lawdog Nope, just coarsely cut the onions and put through the grinder raw, mixed in with the meat. I think the wild pork would be fine, as you will be simmering the sausage in the casing and won't need to worry about it being dry. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

28-Mar-23
I used to eat the crap out of braunschweiger when I was a kid and I hated liver.

I can actually smell those pics, jmiller!

28-Mar-23
No thanks.

28-Mar-23
No thanks.

29-Mar-23
Braunchweiger is absolutely my favorite store bought sandwich meat. And deer liver, heart, kidneys never go to waste. But will probably never go to the trouble of making my own liver pate. Fried in a skillet with onions & gravy is plenty good enough for me.

29-Mar-23
Bowsite needs a barf emoji!

29-Mar-23
Lol tastes differ :)

30-Mar-23
I don’t cull many Whole Foods. But, I’m probably not going to be lining up to eat liver sausage. lol

31-Mar-23
You guys that don’t like liver could maybe cook up some mountain oysters or calf fries to help get rid of the bad taste in your mouths….

I love deer heart and liver n onions and I’m betting I’d enjoy your recipe, Jeff. Thanks for sharing it with us.

31-Mar-23
I'd gladly give it a taste. That's the only way to know if I liked it or not. I can't see how someone can judge something with out trying it first. Just like my wife, she says she doesn't like the taste of wild game but then she hasn't tried it either. Go figure. Thanks for sharing the recipe Jeff.

31-Mar-23
Gross

31-Mar-23
Its ironic that my wife is very picky about the meat she eats. It can't have any blood vessels, tendon or fat. So she won't eat ribeye or dark meat chicken. But she loves Braunschweiger

31-Mar-23
I hate liver, but I LOVE liver sausage!!!

31-Mar-23
Its ironic that my wife is very picky about the meat she eats. It can't have any blood vessels, tendon or fat. So she won't eat ribeye or dark meat chicken. But she loves Braunschweiger

31-Mar-23

butcherboy's embedded Photo
butcherboy's embedded Photo
Here’s a good supply of hearts, liver, and tongues

30-Apr-23
I made some this morning. Here's how I did it. 2 venison liver cut into 1 inch cubes. 2 lbs of ground pork-I used wild pork. 1 vidalia onion shredded salt, oregano, allspice, thyme, pepper, and sage, or whatever you want.

Mix all ingredients together and grind. I then used a food processor to make it into a paste. I stuffed into fibrous 2 1/2 casings. Poach in simmering water until the internal temperature is at least 160 degrees. Let cool and refrigerate or freeze. If you're going to freeze it, I recommend that you vacuum seal it.

30-Apr-23
Pass the Grey Poupon, yum... as Andy Grifith use to say mmmmgoooood!

30-Apr-23
I have visions of stuffing oil filters (livers) into casings. I think eating all the fat-soluble contaminants that a liver captures is not so healthy. It is the memories and taste/texture/smell as a kid!

30-Apr-23
Glad you guys like it. I can’t stand liver, heart, brains, etc.

30-Apr-23
Heart, yea. Kidneys, never a thought. Liver… ehh not keen on trying…

01-May-23
I grew up in a Military Brat family of 6 and pretty poor, ya know.

Being Catholic, we ate fish every Friday and Liver (nothing to do with being Catholic) every Wednesday.

Still to this day I can't eat liver nor fish!!

Good luck, Robb

01-May-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Here you go LUNGSHOT! ;-)

Always loved the SMELL of liverwurst but could not eat it. I think I tried at least 5 different varieties of it over the years(I really WANTED to like it) but just couldn’t get the stuff down the old gullet! : (

01-May-23
We are a nation divided. You're either a liver lover or a liver hater. There is no in between. I guess that makes me a liver lover extremist. The only thing I would do differently next time is to take the time to soak the sliced liver in salt water overnight. It draws the blood out, and, in my opinion, it takes the strong taste away.

01-May-23
I love liver and use to eat a lot of deer liver till my wife who was a veterinarian assistant and who by the way would never eat liver saw mw cutting some up one day and pointed out some liver flukes in the deer liver. No more deer liver for me!

• Sitka Gear