Mathews Inc.
Interesting polar bear article/climate ?
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
4nolz@work 31-Mar-23
4nolz@work 31-Mar-23
HDE 31-Mar-23
Brotsky 31-Mar-23
APauls 31-Mar-23
APauls 31-Mar-23
APauls 31-Mar-23
wytex 31-Mar-23
Stoneman 31-Mar-23
Matt 31-Mar-23
TonyBear 31-Mar-23
KsRancher 31-Mar-23
APauls 01-Apr-23
fuzzy 01-Apr-23
31-Mar-23
https://polarbearscience.com/2023/03/20/15-years-after-esa-listing-as-threatened-due-to-sea-ice-loss-polar-bears-are-abundant-thriving/

31-Mar-23

4nolz@work's Link

31-Mar-23
The polar ice caps are an after effect that is still normalizing.

31-Mar-23
40 years ago there were 20,000 polar bears, today only 30,000 remain. :)

31-Mar-23

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
They figure things out. Like these big boys deciding to spend their summers eating belugas instead of just waiting for winter and seals...

31-Mar-23

APauls's embedded Photo
So skinny!!
APauls's embedded Photo
So skinny!!

31-Mar-23

APauls's embedded Photo
Wake me up when doomsday is over - I'm so worried right now
APauls's embedded Photo
Wake me up when doomsday is over - I'm so worried right now
APauls's embedded Photo
If only we had some more weight in the summer...
APauls's embedded Photo
If only we had some more weight in the summer...
APauls's embedded Photo
Triplets???? But they say it's impossible!!!
APauls's embedded Photo
Triplets???? But they say it's impossible!!!

31-Mar-23
Bowhunter on the TBH forum is on a live polar bear hunt right now, just went out this morning on the ice. Be interesting to hear what he says about numbers and the hunt, he is hunting out of Grise Fiord. Cool pics !!!

31-Mar-23
Great photos AP and captions are pretty good too!

31-Mar-23
Great pictures !! Thanks

31-Mar-23
That ESA listing was always political theater. Fossil records show polar bears have been around for ~150K years. The last interglacial period (opposite of an ice age) was 115K-125K years ago. There is evidence to suggest average world temperatures were 1-2 degrees C higher than they are today, and sea levels were 6-9 meters higher than today.

31-Mar-23
So what happened to the short-nosed bear? They were more plentiful than polar bears before the last ice age...Must have been humans.

31-Mar-23
Do you guys have a link to a "peer reviewed study" to back those statements up? I would like to see it to make sure you aren't spewing misinformation :)

01-Apr-23
There recently was an article talking about decline in the southern Hudson Bay bear population. Unfortunately this is based off of flying the coastline where they’ve been darting bears for years now. As any hunter would quickly realize, bears now run like hell when they hear a chopper, because when choppers come they get chased some to the point of death. (We see this every year)

So what does a hunted animal do? They adapt. Last summer when I checked the collars 11/13 sows collared were WAY inland. Where a marine mammal doesn’t belong. I’m talking like 100km inland. So then the counts on the coast show a declining population. Well I wonder…that’s where they get darted. Seems like this doesn’t get taken into account.

Seeing as deer are smart enough to look in trees and avoid places where they’ve sniffed a hunter it’s no wonder a polar bear will learn to avoid the area it gets darted. But that’s just one redneck’s opinion.

01-Apr-23
Bears are quicker to learn than many prey animals and definitely deer. so that makes sense to me.

01-Apr-23
KsRancher here you go: https://mosj.no/en/indikator/fauna/marine-fauna/polar-bear/

• Sitka Gear