Rut Nut 03-Apr-23
greenmountain 03-Apr-23
Rut Nut 03-Apr-23
DanaC 03-Apr-23
ultimag 09-Apr-23
KHNC 10-Apr-23
Wildan2 16-Apr-23
01-Apr-23
Wholly smokes, I just heard that VT is going to be the first NE state to re-introduce elk! It will probably be decades before there is a huntable herd, but wow! It sounds like the trouble with winter ticks killing moose, has left a hole in the large ungulate ecosystem, so they decided to get elk back - which havent been there in maybe a couple hundred years.

Amazing!

Maybe by April 1 2032 we will be hearing bugles through the green mountains!

Enjoy the day folks. ;)

01-Apr-23
Neighboring New York State is looking to seed wolf packs - so good luck with your elk.

01-Apr-23
Can't make this s* up. Popcorn!

01-Apr-23
Oh yeah, April 1

got me ;-)

01-Apr-23
Dana - man, I'm sad you bit on that :) he he he!

01-Apr-23
Will, that was a good one!

01-Apr-23
OK Will, but could you take that hook outta my lip now? ;-)

01-Apr-23
Polar bears are being moved south due to climate change.

They will be dropped in the Dakotas and northern Rockies in the winter. Then picked back up in the spring and moved North.

01-Apr-23
Colorado is importing wolves with no plan of ever allowing hunting and maybe never have any kind of lethal management even by State or Federal wildlife agencies. Ha ha gotcha....oh.....wait.....

01-Apr-23
One thing about fishing in this pond is you know there aren't any barbless hooks. I understand Dana . If you hear something totally absurd in the news it is usually true.

01-Apr-23
The first sentence gave it away..............................PA re-introduced elk in 1913. ;-)

01-Apr-23
I was totally on the hook for that one. Wisconsin did it in the Clam Lake area, so why couldn’t Pennsylvania do it…right?!!!

01-Apr-23
Maine tried Caribou a couple of times, no joke, they never took, and I guess they gave up the effort. I imagine a few caribou steaks were enjoyed by the locals.

01-Apr-23
Well this isn't no joke........I just read yesterday in the Michigan Outdoor News publication that a state representative here in Michigan has introduced a bill that would reestablish grey wolves in the lower peninsula.

02-Apr-23

blackbear62's Link
Here a link to Michigan lower peninsula wolves.

02-Apr-23
Well played!

03-Apr-23
Glad you all enjoyed the laugh :) Rut - this is embarassing. I knew about PA, and wrote NE thinking New England... Though North East would not have been better because... Ugh, I think of PA as "eastern" v "North Eastern".

And now I feel rude.

So, Thank you for that, I have learned :)

Entirely unrelated, but be safe out there. Despite MA having like 150 total rattle snakes living it only a couple spots of the state, every time I hope over a log I think of you and get nervous! Hope you continue to do well!

03-Apr-23
No need to feel embarrassed or rude! Actually Will, after re-reading your post I thought maybe you meant New England .................... and as for PA being in the Northeast it probably depends on who you talk to.

I’m doing pretty well thanks, but still have some residual effects. Probably always will at this point(5yrs in July)- but all things considered it could have been much worse! I was thinking yesterday it’s just about time to get my snake boots out for the season................. ;-)

03-Apr-23
Do you guys know the definition of a Yankee? I learned while working in Egypt many years ago. The definition is fluid. I was in a Holiday inn in Giza when a couple southern gentlemen invited me for a drink When I told him I was from Vermont his buddy objected loudly . HE IS A YANKEE. My host said "hell son we are all Yankees over here. I `laughed and we had that drink companionably. I got to thinking so I looked it up. It is written somwhere but I can't think of who to give the credit. To People in Europe and Asia is a north American To a north American a Yankee is someone from the northeast. To a northeasterner A Yankee . To many in new England A Yankee hails from Maine or Vermont and Perhaps New Hampshire . To these folks a Yankee is a person who eats pie for breakfast. There you have it.... Bob

03-Apr-23
That’s true Bob- it all depends on your perspective.......................

03-Apr-23
And to a few of us a Yankee is a player for the evil empire of MLB ;-)

09-Apr-23
Pat nys doesnt need to seed wolf packs they have had wolves & cougars in ny for 20+ yrs just not something nys dec wants to talk about

10-Apr-23
Blackbears article post

currently estimated at approximately 700 animals, has been re-established in the Upper Peninsula since 2007 – far surpassing the original goal of around 200 set by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

Wolves target weak, sick, or otherwise vulnerable prey, which can lead to healthier populations of prey.

The same mantra and selling points. Where have we seen and read this before

10-Apr-23
"Pat nys doesnt need to seed wolf packs they have had wolves & cougars in ny for 20+ yrs just not something nys dec wants to talk about"

What other conspiracy theories do you subscribe to?

16-Apr-23
If NY state doesn't have mountain lions;why are they "protected" in the game books?Wolves can easily come across the St.Lawrence from Canada.We had Mt.Lions locally and they had radio collars,this is St.Lawrence co.in upstate NY.

• Sitka Gear