Glunt@work 06-Apr-23
Smtn10PT 07-Apr-23
Bowfreak 07-Apr-23
Corax_latrans 07-Apr-23
Aspen Ghost 08-Apr-23
Buck Watcher 08-Apr-23
drycreek 08-Apr-23
06-Apr-23
My daughter and I are traveling to Curtis, Nebraska and driving back to Denver. Anybody know of a meat store that will ship my turkey meat (hopefully we have some that is) back to Louisiana? Or, any other viable options. I am hesitant to just bring them on the plane for fear of them spoiling.

And any recommendations for a good taxidermist on that route would be greatly appreciated. Or a place that sells dry ice. And I know I'm asking a lot here but your help is definitely needed.

06-Apr-23
Freeze the breast meat and thighs hard and put in a soft cooler. Stick inside your hunting clothes. That's how I bring home my turkeys on a 9 hour drive. Probably same time as flying. Less risk and hassle than shipping, IMO.

06-Apr-23
I've shipped frozen meat via Fed Ex before and it was fine, but expensive.

06-Apr-23
I can’t even imagine shipping turkey meat! Just fly home with it. Possibly the easiest game animal to bring home!

—Jim

06-Apr-23
Dry ice,we shipped Halibut from Alaska to NY state.

06-Apr-23
Small carryon softside cooler with a couple frozen gel packs.If they ask tell them its fish.That will avoid any follow up questions.No objects to fish just don't want anything to leak or drip so get a 2 gallon ziplock for everything inside the cooler.

06-Apr-23
Freeze it, bag it, wrap in something with some insulating properties and drop it at FedEx in McCook.

Across from Walmart near Tractor Supply.

07-Apr-23
Freeze the meat and bring it with you. I've brought frozen meat home in both carry on and checked baggage before.

07-Apr-23
Like others said….freeze and put it in your luggage.

07-Apr-23
Freezing it really hard oughtta do the trick… Think how long it takes to defrost a bird in the fridge….

Dry Ice - my info may be outdated, but don’t you have to declare dry ice before you can take it on a plane? At one point, I think there was a whole process and the pilot had to sign off on the deal so that he’d know the total amount on board; you can’t guess how many other people might be bringing the stuff on board or in what quantity. It’s hard to wrap your head around how a small amount of dry ice could cause a problem, except that you’re basically in a sealed container and a pound of dry ice will turn into a pretty huge cloud of CO2.

It’s a safety thing. Probably not too much to put up with, given that you’ll be flying with your kid. But you can always ask the airline about the process ahead of time.

08-Apr-23
You can use dry ice in an insulated cooler to freeze the meat and store it on the way to the airport but remove the dry ice before going in the airport. Would be good to have a traditional frozen ice pack in the cooler too.

08-Apr-23
I brought a cooler full of Alaska goodies back to WI many times with zero issues. Freeze meat - fill cooler - cover top of meat with newspaper (insulator) before closing and taping secure. Most heat loss it through lid. Always comes home perfect. I have checked 3 coolers and sent my clothes/gear home before . . . cheapest/slowest way.

Dry ice not allowed on plane even checked baggage.

08-Apr-23
Insulin for my JRT comes to me in a heavy duty cardboard box with two frozen ice packs. It’s delivered by fricking FedEx and they set it by my gate where it might sit from 2 to 4 hours in the sun. The ice packs are usually only about one tenth melted. Pat’s advice would be spot on IMO. The cargo hold of a plane would be much colder than a fricking FedEx truck. (and the pilot is probably much smarter, but that’s another story)

• Sitka Gear