kota-man 20-Apr-23
Pat Lefemine 12-May-23
Bowboy 12-May-23
Dino 12-May-23
Pat Lefemine 12-May-23
Dino 12-May-23
Chuckster 12-May-23
07-Apr-23
Just curious what everyone uses and why? - if you want to state the model that's cool too

Hinge? Thumb? Wrist?

07-Apr-23
Thumb. I feel like it's the most accurate for me and offers the best anchor point.

07-Apr-23
A number of years ago I was watching a shoot on tv and noticed most of the shooters were using a thumb release. I had been battling some TP off and on so I started researching a thumb release. Went to Sportmans warehouse and tried a couple at the store. I was blown away with the feel. I bought a Tru-Fire thumb release and took it home. After a session with it, I bought a back up and have never looked back. I like the thumb release because I can put the back of my hand on my face. It just feels much more comfortable. Also, you can leave the release hanging on the loop while on stand. Haven't dealt with PT in years.

07-Apr-23
Wrist release. Tru-fire. Can't recall the specific model off the top of my head. When I first switched from finger release to a mechanical one I used a Fletcher Concho hand held release because the pulling pressure felt odd on my wrist.

07-Apr-23
Wrist release. Failsafe Hunter. I've been using the same one for over 40 years. Best indoor score was 300 with 54x.

07-Apr-23
Wrist release. Tru fire assassin

07-Apr-23
I used a Tru Fire wrist with good results for many years. Last fall I bought a Stan Onnex thumb, but I’ve not yet hunted it. I do think my accuracy is slightly better with the thumb.

07-Apr-23

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Carter Ember. It doesn’t shorten your draw length and has an open hook. I removed the horseshoe and put the a 3/8 Carter knurled barrel. Been using it for over 20yrs.

07-Apr-23
Thumb-Carter First Choice and Wise Choice

07-Apr-23
Thumb/tension/hinge Mainly hunt with a hinge.

07-Apr-23
I’ve shot them all over the years. I’ve settled for a thumb release for me. Pulls weight easier, more consistent anchor point, and reduces target panic issues that can creep in over time. JMO.

07-Apr-23
Thumb release. I don't like having to wear a wrist strap all the time and I feel like I get a much better surprise release with the thumb. Especially in a treestand, just keep it hooked on my bow string. Spot and stalk it's a PITA always having a wrist band on with a metal piece dangling from it. Also a wrist band interferes with sleeves, gloves, etc...

I do always carry a back up release, which I recommend no matter what type you use!

07-Apr-23
I do all my practicing with a hinge, but do all my hunting with a thumb release. I can’t recall when or who told me, “ it not if but when”, TP will raise its ugly head using an index finger release.

07-Apr-23
Been shooting a wrist release for 40+ years...currently the Scott Echo.

That said, I am considering a thumb release based on the feedback. Easier draw sounds great based on my age. Reducing target panic would be a big plus too.

07-Apr-23
I have wrist, and thumb. Both work good . The thumb does improve my shooting Intel, I put on the hunting gloves then is a complete different filling in the hand and thumb ,the wrist I just cut the tip of the finger off to still have normal filling.

07-Apr-23
Scott Little Goose (index) for majority of shooting. Set heavier this year than years past and am enjoying that. No gloves, second hole up from bottom. With gloves, third hole up from bottom.

Tru Fire Sear (Hinge) for training. Like it, but need to actually commit if I'm going to transition full time. Currently set pretty hot and I need to adjust it a little heavier to induce a bit more "pull" and remove the ability for a roll-through execution. In general, I don't think you can go wrong having a hinge around at least for training purposes.

07-Apr-23
Started like most with a wrist release, then one day I just decided to try a thumb release…tightened up my groups immediately and never looked back. Love it. Must better release for me and anchor point.

07-Apr-23
Thumb. I’m a punching SOB and they really help me personally with that. Although I can still punch…

After an exhaustive and expensive search and trial I settled on Stan PerfeX short neck. I even bought a couple new ones this year to try, but for me the PerfeX is THE release.

I don’t think they are making them anymore, I have 2 and am tempted to buy a third to keep in reserve.

—Jim

07-Apr-23
I use a wrist...Fletchunter...which I've used for years. I also have a Stan resistance release which I'm still getting used to.

07-Apr-23
I’ve tried all but the hinge. Never could get comfortable with a thumb after years of wrist strap & glove style like Winn. I hunt a Carter Like Mike & Carter Squeeze Me when TP flares up. Feels secure knowing it is attached to my wrist at all times.

07-Apr-23
Thumb release, my question would be has anyone ever tried a thumb release and went back to wrist strap. Can't imagine anyone ever returning to a wrist strap.

07-Apr-23
Scrappy I did for a day cuz I forgot my release for a 3D shoot and it was aweful. I know have extra releases in my bags, my truck and my brothers hahahaha

07-Apr-23
Hinge, thumb button, resistance. Been hunting with the hinge the last couple years.

07-Apr-23
Wrist because It’s always there and I can send it on command when needed.

07-Apr-23
Yes Scrappy I tried & tried but still went back to a wrist strap. First back tension release I could find was a thumb style but never could feel comfortable with that style.

07-Apr-23
thumb button

07-Apr-23
I used a Scott wrist release. I forget model off top of my head, but keep two in bow bag and a new one of same model in drawer at home. I have an always used one except first year I bowhunting as a teenager. I shoot it well. I could attach it to my D-loop blindfolded. I can't lose it if attached to wrist when hunting.

Funny thing is I will be out pheasant hunting and have my heart jump when I notice I don't have my release on. I have spend so many days hunting with one on I don't even notice it. Expect if I have to do my business in the woods. Then I have to make sure I tuck the release part up in my sleeve.

07-Apr-23
After 35 plus years of index release I went to a Thumb release (Nock 2 it) last year. Game Changer for me. After 42 years of archery hunting the thumb release and Shot IQ has finally made me a threat.

07-Apr-23
Wrist and caliper: Wise Guy to be specific. Much easier for me to anchor consistently and easier on my shoulder at full draw than with a thumb trigger. When I shot spots I was trained with a hinge as a teenager and can still feel that surprise and what it ‘should feel like’ when TP/punch habits creep in and am able to correct quickly without going back to a hinge. Not sure I could have corrected as quickly if I wasn’t trained with one early….my lip hasn’t forgotten.

07-Apr-23
Have used Wrist & Thumb & prefer thumb.

07-Apr-23
Fingers - 3 under tab. ;o)

07-Apr-23
After 20 years shooting a Mongoose, made the switch to a Carter 4 finger Wise Choice. Wish I’d done it years ago, maybe I wouldn’t punch as bad.

07-Apr-23
Thumb button. Used the Nock 2 It the past two years. Decided to try out the Ultraview button and liked it more so I sold the Nock 2 It. Can have very clean breaks while pulling through my shots. I prefer the 3 finger instead of the 2 1/2 finger. I dabbled with the Ultraview Hinge 2 a little last year. Thought I had it figured out shooting at home, then took it to a 3D and just fell apart using it. It was more of a mental thing than physical. Thumb button is my go to though.

07-Apr-23
Wrist release, Scott & Fletch-Hunter when shooting compound. I use a spring trigger if I start to develop TP. I have used Stanislawski back tension & couple thumb releases, but have always gone back to the wrist release.

07-Apr-23
Carter Whisper Thumb release the last 2 years. I love it! My backup is my old Carter RX2 wrist release. Took a bit to get used to the thumb release but now I can't see going back to my RX2.

07-Apr-23
Wrist & caliper. Tru-ball Stinger.

07-Apr-23
I was using the Stan Perfex with good luck and I just switched to the Ultraview thumb.

07-Apr-23
Index wrist release for me…….T.R.U. Ball Short-n-sweetr hook style. Years ago I did try a thumb release for an indoor spot league, but switched back to the index release. Maybe some day I’ll give a thumb style a try again.

07-Apr-23
Thumb. Trufire hardcore revolution. Can’t imagine going back to a wrist strap. I clip it on my d loop once in the stand and my hands are free.

Craig

07-Apr-23
TruBall Short n sweet wrist for years. I’m interested in a thumb release just haven’t had the chance to try one. My hunting buddy got one for Christmas so mabe this fall. For close to 40 years I’ve never misplaced my wrist release.. I’ve heard some horror stories on the others.

07-Apr-23
Wrist, Carter Quickee. I love the open hook for attaching to my d-loop. Shoot it with back tension when practicing. Pete

07-Apr-23
Once I was on my way in to hunt & encountered a mink. Chased all over trying to catch it running & jumping. Got to my tree. No release, grunt call or pocket knife. You guessed it … a nice buck came by & I missed it with fingers. Never would have lost the wrist strap. Always strapped to my wrist or bow. That same year I dropped a thumb release out of a tree several times. For me too much down side.

07-Apr-23
Wrist. I switched from fingers due to nerve issues from the string. Needed to relieve pressure on my fingers and the wrist thingamabobber did that.

07-Apr-23
I use a Spot Hogg, the Wise Guy model. You can adjust the pressure for a surprise release with almost zero trigger travel. No need to punch, just squeeze.

07-Apr-23
Wrist release. Have a Scott Shark on my wrist and a backup in my fanny pack.

07-Apr-23

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Nock on Back Strap… shot with back tension .

07-Apr-23
Thumb trigger......Carter target 4+

07-Apr-23
Carter Like Mike 2 wrist, zero trigger travel. Use hinge occasionally for practice to keep the demons away:) messed with thumb a little but not for me. Wrist is just better for hunting situations for me, and if you keep trigger a little heavier and activate by increasing pressure until it goes off they are great. Handhelds tend to bother my elbow if I use one too much.

07-Apr-23
Four finger truball hinge. I was so punchy, hinge was the only fix. I don't know the model, I just know I have killed alot of animals since I switched. I have two of them i practice with, one set hot one set cold. I hunt with the hot one.

08-Apr-23
I use four releases throughout the season. I start with a SCAT - a hydraulic release that opens its jaws after a period of time, so I can forget about "firing" and just concentrate on aiming, pulling, pushing, and form. Then I rotate between a Stan Perfex hand-held thumb release in the heavier brass model; a Carter Two Shot index finger; and a Tru-Fire model that opens and closes with the pull and release of the trigger. I hunt with the Tru-Fire because I can command it to fire when I have to time the release with an animal's movement - I use all the other releases to maintain good form and habits.

08-Apr-23
Wrist Scott shark

08-Apr-23
wrist, because I have for so long don't want to change now.

08-Apr-23
Wrist, caliper. I believe it’s a Scott but I can’t remember. Been a couple of years since I shot my compound. My longbow just appeals to me so much more. I feel for you guys that suffer from TP. I’ve never had it and hopefully never will. Shooting a wrist release just feels so smooth to me. I tried a thumb release once and lost a bunch of arrows to the sky. Lol

08-Apr-23
Stan Perfex Thumb I like the practice feature a lot. TODDY

08-Apr-23
Scott wrist, but have been considering a thumb release when I change bows.

08-Apr-23
Tru Fire Hardcore Forward Trigger wrist release but recently purchased a Ultra View Thumb Button to work with.

08-Apr-23
Wrist...the thumb release didn't work for me; kept punching myself in the mouth!

08-Apr-23
I use all three types to practice. I hunt with a thumb - nock2it. I also use Dudley’s silverback which is a tension release. Switch back and forth during the off season. Shooting with back tension and Shot IQ. Keeps target panic at bay.

08-Apr-23
I had to do something about my tp so a couple years ago I bought two Perfex releases. I shot the resistance all winter, in an attempt to retrain my brain. Then I switched to the thumb before hunting season. I’ve shot the thumb for two seasons - not quite as convenient as the wrist rocket, but I like it.

My two Perfex releases are of identical geometry but Stan no longer makes them. If you wanted to take the same 2 release approach there are only two brands that offer identical thumb and resistance releases. Stan Onnex or Nock-On (Silverback and Nock2It).

If two releases isn’t in the cards, there are a couple handheld releases out there that can be converted between thumb and resistance - Carter Attraction is one of them. I’ve played with one and like it.

08-Apr-23
I Train with a Silverback Tension release and a hinge. Most hunting scenarios I use the thumb button in the form of a Nock2it. Using these releases has helped me with my TP, made me much more accurate and brought joy back into my shooting.

08-Apr-23
Stan Element Resistance for practice and 3D

Scott Echo wrist for hunting

08-Apr-23
Hinge for the last 7 yrs, struggled with target panic, since the switch it has turned my world a 180° I shoot a Scott longhorn pro advantage, or a carter nock on too smooth

08-Apr-23
Thumb. Knock 2 It

08-Apr-23
Hinge for me. I'm too jumpy with a trigger and execute shot process way better.

08-Apr-23
Scott Sabertooth wrist release.....for me personally, the only drawback for a wrist release is that over time, the strap absorbs human scent. I actually spray mine sometimes with Dead Down Wind or some comparable product. I am not sure what target panic feels like, so I don't know if I ever had it.

08-Apr-23
I use a right-hand finger release, Model 1951. I have yet to ever forget them when going hunting. I wear them constantly and they have always been there, right there on the end of my hand.

08-Apr-23
Check out classified

08-Apr-23
Truball thumb to hunt and Truball hinge for practice. I have a Truball wrist release I have tried a few times but I get punchy quick.

09-Apr-23
Thumb

Carter Wise Choice. Two finger.

09-Apr-23
wrist. First one I ever tried and stuck with it for the last 8 years. Never tried any others.... Not broke, dont fix.. LOL

09-Apr-23
wrist for me

09-Apr-23
Shot a Scott wrist release for years. Developed TP so bad this winter during archery league so I went to the local archery shop. Tried many different types. In the end I bought a Stan OnneX resistance release. I'm starting to get used to it, but I think it's going to be a long road.

09-Apr-23
Wrist trigger release, True fire circa 2008. I've used others and keep going back. I did use my wife's Scott Itty Bitty Goose I think it was called. I liked it a lot but she took it back.

09-Apr-23
Thumb release (Tru Fire) these days. Shot a wrist release when I first got into bowhunting and eventually decided to recommit myself to the fundamentals of archery. During this time I was introduced to a thumb release and it stuck. My experience has been a more consistent anchor, smoother draw and less trigger punching.

10-Apr-23
Thumb, True Fire Stalker.

10-Apr-23
Bounce back and forth between all three. Have been shooting the button a lot this year. Have had a carter insatiable 4 finger for years. Just picked up a UV button a week ago. Nice realease. Also use a Carter Like Mike and have a cheap hinge I have had for years as well. I have been lucky that I don't have to change my peep or loop so can just shoot interchangeably. Helps with the TP.

10-Apr-23
Scrappy, I am another person that went from a wrist style to a thumb and then back to a wrist style. I was having a little trouble with TP so I went to the thumb which I really liked. As the hunting season weather got colder I started wearing more clothes. A couple of times while taking practices shoots or just drawing after a sit, I accidently triggered the thumb release during the pre-shot routine so I went back to the index finger release. I presently hunt with a Scott Silverhorn or Shark.

10-Apr-23
Wrist. Old Fletcher Flat Head. I tried a thumb and just never liked it. When I went to a rope release (literally a rope from the release around the bowstring to a post on the release) probably 25-30 or so years ago, it was a Fletcher. I shot a true fire for a couple years in the middle, but really liked the small size and draw length maximizing style of the flat head. I tried a carter at one point, and just didnt like how it felt in comparison. So back to the flat head. I love it.

10-Apr-23
Thumb for me. Carter Too Simple 3 finger. It is the best way for me to make good controlled shots. Just looking at pictures of a wrist strap would make me punch.

10-Apr-23

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Wrist/caliper - Tru Fire edge.

10-Apr-23
Wrist--older model Scott. I just replace the wrist straps occasionally. I have at least 2 that I can shoot interchangeably just in case........... Not sure bit i THINK it's a "little bitty goose"

10-Apr-23
For hunting I use a Stan thumb release, for 3D shooting I use a Stan Hinge that is the roughly the same size as my thumb. I can shoot several times with thumb and not get TP but when we are shooting 3D all summer the TP would creep back in. Therefore, Hinge for targets, Thumb for hunting. I also have a Nock On Tension release before I got the Hinge, it's a backup now.

10-Apr-23
I shoot a scott wrist, model I can't remember. I want to try a thumb, mainly for hunting. So what would be a good thumb release for hunting? Thinking it would be nice if it had tether to keep it attached to my wrist. But don't have to. What your thoughts? Thanks Ed

11-Apr-23
I use the TRU Ball thumb release. I like to attach it to the d-loop when I first get in the tree. I don't have to look for the d-loop when a deer comes in. I also believe my accuracy has improved.

12-Apr-23
I use a hinge for everything nowadays. After going down the rabbit hole of buying hinges the last couple of years my absolute favorite is a tru ball hbc flex! I use a click for hunting but no click for target.

12-Apr-23
Wrist strap, Scott Silverhorn. Bought four when I found out they were being discontinued.

I just ordered a thumb button. It was a cheap one off camo fire. Gonna try it and see what it’s all about.

12-Apr-23
Switched to a Longhorn Hex about 6 weeks ago. For me it’s the best of both worlds…a hinge with a wrist strap.

13-Apr-23
I also use the Scott Longhorn Hex . Only thing I have used for 4 years now. Beat my target panic with it ( for now anyway). The "click" seems to tell my brain to slow down and squeeze. I try a different release and the TP roars its ugly head. Use it for practice and hunting . I really feel it made all the difference in the world .

13-Apr-23
Fingers here

13-Apr-23
Carter Wise Choice or Evolution for me.

13-Apr-23
Still using a wrist release tru-fire hardcore, switched to middle finger pull 10 years ago because of punching, index finger now helps my anchor. After so many years of shooting this way it feels weird to use my index. Pat must be looking for advice from the first shot on the last blood trail challenge ;)

13-Apr-23
Wrist. Same one I got with my bow over 10 years ago. I like having it always on and ready to go while hunting. No worries about fumbeling for it

13-Apr-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
Well fellas, being old & shooting when the transition to Compounds & Releases began the craze "your all lucky to have benefited from our early days. Rope Spikes & ledges, busted lips, mis fires, & even a light or two shot out (I witnessed this in my shop/lanes a few times). When the releases became "mechanical" I went to a thumb. Did for several years & loved it. Then, wanted a change & went to a Index. I shot it well but eventually decided I did better with a thumb after a couple years. Now, I use a thumb & for me, it's the better choice.. I had a buddy make a mechanical in the mid 70s (photo). His 1st but after work & modifications came up with a nice thumb, rope spike.. I actually shot a few indoor 300s with the one in the photo but then, In stick bow days I did a few 300s with Recurve & fingers as did my brother & many others in those days.

13-Apr-23

These relics even improved over fingers once you mastered one.. Trust me, most paid a price to learn. Cost was like $5 to maybe $8 in the mid 70s... You basically pulled with your index finger on most & then once you "touched" & I mean touched, it was GONE.. Sometimes in mid draw when going off is when you needed aid for busted lips or something on your face.

16-Apr-23
I’ve been a TRU Ball thumb guy for years. Just ordered Ultraview Thumb Button to try.

17-Apr-23
Wrist strap release. Because I shoot it well and have for 30+ years....

17-Apr-23
Thumb. Ever since the great target panic elk miss of 2015. Man he was huge

17-Apr-23
Wrist, Scott Wildcat...

17-Apr-23
OK...typically it is kota-man posts on Bowsite that cost me $$$. This time I'm blaming several of you thumb release shooters!

Just ordered a Scott Pursuit thumb release with wrist strap. Anxious to see how it works versus the Scott index finger wrist straps I've used for years. Yes, I can be a trigger puncher at times...hoping this new thumb release at least reduces the target panic finger punch. FYI, felt like I needed the wrist strap version for hunting.

17-Apr-23
When I made the switch to a thumb release, I was very concerned about not having any type of "sling" on my wrist for fear of letting go of the release. For me, it has never flew out of my hands when drawn. In fact, I think it is easier to hold with my fingers than having that tension on my wrist.

20-Apr-23
Pav…I think you’ll like the thumb. I wasn’t a fan of my recent Ultraview Button purchase. Too much time behind a Tru Ball more than likely. The Ultraview is so deep, I think I’d have to change my draw length for it to be comfortable. Returned it and ordered another Tru Ball. This time the Blade Pro Flex. I’ve got a couple Tru Ball “Stalk’rs” I really like but just wanted to try the Blade Pro Flex for something different.

20-Apr-23
Kota - I wasn’t a fan of the UltraView either. But like you I think of it was the first one I bought and learned using it it would have been great. Just too different than the Stan I’ve been using for years.

—jim

20-Apr-23
100% Jim…With regards to having a strap and the down range launching of the release…

I like a rope/strap while stalking but go without in tree-stand as I like to just hook my release on the string while sitting. I have two of the same release, one with a rope and one without.

With regard to launching, I’ve done it twice. Both times while practicing, both times the release slipped out of my hand. Once it was launched at a window and hit between the panes. And one hit my riser hard and wrecked the head. That was several years ago and really haven’t had any issues lately.

12-May-23
Thanks for all your feedback.

I have retired my wrist strap release for a thumb release. Holy crap that has made a huge difference in my accuracy. I wish I tried it sooner.

12-May-23
Have fun with the new release

12-May-23
Careful Pat…u r venturing down the rabbit hole!!! I too wish I would have started a long, long time ago with hand held releases, particularly a tension!!! Which thumb trigger are you shooting?

12-May-23
Dino, I didn’t want to spend $350 only to find out I didn’t like it so I went with the Tru-Ball Max Pro Plus 4 finger. I really like it. My release is way better than my index finger release. It didn’t take long at all to adjust and my accuracy is far more consistent. I may try a Stan release but quite honestly I don’t know if it will be any better for me than this release.

I’ve been spending the last few months changing up just about everything from my bow, arrows, release and form.

12-May-23
Pat, that’s the beauty of archery, no matter that we are all getting older, we still believe we can get better!!!

12-May-23
Glad to hear the thumb release works for you Pat.

• Sitka Gear