Inshart 10-Apr-23
DanaC 10-Apr-23
HUNT MAN 10-Apr-23
HUNT MAN 10-Apr-23
Will 10-Apr-23
08-Apr-23

spikebow's embedded Photo
spikebow's embedded Photo
Got the green light for a couple days of hooky for my daughter, loaded up and headed to Kansas for her first hunting road trip. She has been wanting to do “hunting camp” after hearing elk camp stories so our plan was to tent camp and meals were prepped at home and would be finished in camp for breakfast and supper. The destination was a familiar one for me but the property we would be hunting was a new one but bordered a property I hunted in the past. We arrived in time to setup camp and attempt to get a visual on birds heading to roost. The latter didn’t happen but based on hunting the neighbors property in the past I had a good idea where they would be roosted. The bad news was we had to park on the wrong side of the creek so we weren’t going to be in the right spot but would be close. The plan was to find a place to cross the creek mid morning and setup where we really needed to be.

We setup as close as we could get without crossing the creek and hoped for the best. The birds were roosted where we expected and moved off to the east. Unfortunately before we could make our move across the creek the farmer came in to that field to plant so we were done there for at least the day. We left there and headed to a public spot a few miles away and they were planting there too. By this point I’m feeling pretty defeated but we start driving around door knocking but to no avail. I reached out to my buddy in the area who got us the permission on the original spot and he calls back a couple of hours later and has got us permission on another property. We meet up with the landowner and get some intel from him on where he has been seeing and hearing birds.

We were finally setup a little after 2 and feeling good about this spot based on the intel from the landowner and the sign we saw on the way in. Shortly after setting up we hear a gobble behind us. Over the next 30 minutes or so we have sporadic gobbling from a few birds around us but finally one bird seemed to have responded to us. Things got quiet for awhile and I called again and a gobbler cut me off with a yelp and he was close. I called again and he immediately yelped again. I told my daughter to get ready because that bird was close . I barely finished that statement and could hear them walking and 3 redheads moving through the brush in front of us. Three gobblers emerge and one goes into strut and they are coming. A hen fires up to our left and they start fading her way a little but still closing on us. I cut her off a couple of times and they start coming on a more direct line again. They closed on us quickly at this point and commence to giving our jake decoy an absolute beat down.

My daughter has killed a few birds but this is the first time she has witnessed this. I start thinking I need to have another shell ready in case she misses but I realize that I have no idea where her shells are. I told her that she has the green light and to just take her time and wait for one to clear the others and standing still. The beat down continues and after what seemed like an eternity she takes her shot and only ruffled some feathers. I break the news to her that I don’t know where her shells are and while she is figuring that out I grabbed my bow, nocked an arrow and killed the bird that was still on the decoy. She tells me where her shells are and I get her reloaded as the birds are moving away. They stopped and were picking on the bird I killed and by this time she was settled back on her shooting sticks and smoked one. What started out as a pretty rough day turned out to be one of if not the best hunting days in my life. I’ve been taking her hunting since she was old enough to walk and watching her kill some deer and turkeys has been awesome but to actually hunt together on a road trip and pull off double together brought a whole new level of excitement to it.

08-Apr-23
Fantastic! Congratulations on the double and making a great trip for you and your daughter!

08-Apr-23
Congrats. Done a lot of turkey hunting with my daughter. She is off to college now. They grow up fast.

08-Apr-23
Congrats on a great father/daughter experience that you both will remember forever!

08-Apr-23
Congratulations!! Great times remembered for a life time!

08-Apr-23
Awesome!

08-Apr-23
Good stuff, congrats to you both!

09-Apr-23
Sounds like a great trip! Memories you both will never forget….good job Dad!

09-Apr-23
That’s how you create a lasting legacy. She will be telling that story to her grandkids. Congrats!!! Love it.

09-Apr-23
Congrats on making some good times with the kiddo.

09-Apr-23
Great memories hunting with your kids. Thanks for sharing!

09-Apr-23
Awesome and congratulations

09-Apr-23
Wow awesome story. Congrats to both of you.

09-Apr-23
Awesome!

09-Apr-23
Outstanding, congrats to you both!

09-Apr-23
Sweet stuff. Nicely done by both.

09-Apr-23
Awesome!

09-Apr-23
Congratulations to both of you!! Great memories!

09-Apr-23
Fantastic story, good parenting right there!

09-Apr-23
Great stuff Kevin - congrats to you/your daughter. Making fond memories afield together - what it is all about!

09-Apr-23
Congrats ! Kudos for passing it on!

09-Apr-23
Congrats on pulling a double. Good job.

09-Apr-23
All smiles excellent work!!!

09-Apr-23
Making lemonade out of lemons, great work !

09-Apr-23
Very nice adventure.

10-Apr-23
Outstanding!

10-Apr-23
Great story, congrats to you both.

10-Apr-23
That’s what it is all about. Well done!!Hunt

10-Apr-23
That’s what it is all about. Well done!!Hunt

10-Apr-23
Awesome! Glad you had that time with your daughter!

• Sitka Gear