2Wild Bill 11-Apr-23
Ironbow 12-Apr-23
hawg 12-Apr-23
2Wild Bill 12-Apr-23
hawg 12-Apr-23
2Wild Bill 12-Apr-23
09-Apr-23
How to Get Your Name in "The Book"

The goal of many modern day hunters is not only that of harvesting a deer, but harvesting a trophy buck large enough so that they get their name in the book. We hunters spend countless hours scouting the fields and forests for the clues that will lead us to the right stand location. Then we devote more time waiting in the stand for a mature buck to appear and offer us that opportunity to put our name in the book.

The Bible tells us of another book where our choices determine whether or not our names are entered. In Rev. 20:15 we find “and whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”

A lot of hunters know by heart the requirements for getting their name in either the BOONE & CROCKET or POPE & YOUNG record book. Both have established guidelines and minimums for entry. Just as a good set of antlers may miss the mark and fall short of the minimum for entry; the Bible tells us that all good men, including you, have already missed the mark of living a sinless life. Romans 3:23 states “for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” We have all missed the mark yet there is hope, for in Romans 5:8 we read “but God commendeth his love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.”

Jesus Christ, God’s Son, lived a perfect sinless life and died on the cross, paying the penalty for your sins and mine. Romans 6:23 tells us of this sacrificial gift, “for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

The Bible also tells us that no matter how hard we try we cannot earn our way into “The Book” or heaven. Titus 3:5 teaches that, “not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy he saved us” and in Romans 10:9-10 we find out how to get our name in “The Book;” “if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved, for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” We know this because a few verses later in Romans 10:13 we read that, “whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Friend, that “whosoever” means you. If you would like to be sure that your name is written in the BOOK OF LIFE and that heaven will someday be your home, pray the following prayer and mean it with all of your heart.

“Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and cannot save myself. I believe that you died on the cross for my sins. I repent of my sins and trust Jesus as my own personal Savior. Thank you Lord Jesus for saving me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.” author, Mark Morgan, Watertown WI

09-Apr-23
Happy Easter Bowsiters.

09-Apr-23
Amen.

09-Apr-23
Happy Resurrection Sunday to all!

09-Apr-23
This is THE Holiday that we should hold the dearest! Happy Easter!!!

09-Apr-23
"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" 1Cor.15:57

Have that "victory" which is ours, not earned but "given", to be yours also, trust Jesus as your Savior.

Two Feathers, Great message, thank you.

09-Apr-23
Amen!

09-Apr-23
Amen !!!!!

09-Apr-23
Amen,the one and only book that truly matters, the Lamb's book of Life!!!

09-Apr-23
Amen.

09-Apr-23
Happy Resurrection Day! For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2: 8-9

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

09-Apr-23
Amen!

09-Apr-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Amen.

10-Apr-23
I love this idea put forth by Two Feathers (OP) but this closing statement has me confused.

["If you would like to be sure that your name is written in the BOOK OF LIFE and that heaven will someday be your home, pray the following prayer and mean it with all of your heart." “Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and cannot save myself. I believe that you died on the cross for my sins. I repent of my sins and trust Jesus as my own personal Savior. Thank you Lord Jesus for saving me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.” author, Mark Morgan, Watertown WI]

Does anyone know where this is stated or even implied in the Bible? Thanks,

10-Apr-23
Pretty much the gist of John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

And consistent theme throughout the Bible...

10-Apr-23
I get that^^^ Where does it say or imply that to get your name written in the Book of Life all you need to do is pray that prayer or any prayer?

10-Apr-23
Romans 10:13. “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

That’s the most succinct answer your question.

10-Apr-23
Thanks Mitch but that doesn't answer the question I asked. Rom. 10:13 is not praying.

In fact Jesus is recorded saying (Matt. 7:21) "Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven".

So Rom. 10:13 means more than a prayer. Acts 2 actually explains what people did when they "called upon the name of the Lord" which Peter says is from the prophet Joel and it wasn't praying.

10-Apr-23
I was giving what I believe was the most succinct verse to answer your question.

If talking to God isn’t praying, what is it then? - Romans 10:9-13 gives all the context.

Is salvation more than repeating a prayer - yes. But I don’t believe the one who initiated the thread was saying just repeat these words and be saved.

It’s pretty simple -

1. take ownership of the fact that you’ve personally sinned and broke God’s law. Romans 3:10,13

2. Understand that what your sin earns you is eternal separation from God in hell - Romans 6:23a

3. Believe that God sent His Son to pay that sin debt by shedding his blood and dying on Calvary - Romans 6:23b, 5:8

4. Call upon Him (prayer) and be saved. Romans 10:9-13

A little more detailed than my initial response.

11-Apr-23
Mitch...You are correct...Prayer is "talking to God". What I tried to say is Rom. 10 is much more than praying and that "calling upon the name of the Lord" is more than praying as it is explained in Acts 2.

You are correct..."salvation is more than repeating a prayer". You listed some but not all that we've been given.

"I don’t believe the one who initiated the thread was saying just repeat these words and be saved."

Maybe I misunderstood then but that's what I see in..."If you would like to be sure that your name is written in the BOOK OF LIFE and that heaven will someday be your home, pray the following prayer and mean it with all of your heart".

I'm really not trying to derail the intent of this thread or jump on the OP but am genuinely curious about where the idea of "pray this prayer" comes from. I've had people tell me this most of my life but I don't know where it is found in God's Book. Please reread my question and help me understand.

11-Apr-23
hawg - the words you speak should come from the heart. The thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't pray those words but we do know what he said and where he went.

11-Apr-23
Hawg, Does anyone know where this is stated or even implied in the Bible? Thanks,

So it is not the act of praying that you question, but those specific words, yes?

The following is the implied sample.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2Chronicles 7:14

Jesus warned us not to pray in empty reptition of prayers, but gave us elements of prayer that were important to consider/mention. That's called the "Lords Prayer", He said, "after this manner", Matthew 6:9 Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

All prayer must come from your heart as sincerely representing your desire to speak with God and communicate with him. His word, the Bible, reveals him and his son Jesus reveals him. Your heart reveals you.

Can't you understand that Christians have a message of forgiveness from God that they are speaking to other people in their own words, or, are you all about nit picking and fault finding. Jesus suggested a prayer and many other believers have suggested prayers, their point is being made to people who most likely have never REALLY spoken to God from their heart.

Christians are saved now, not someday future, because Jesus paid it all, as he said from the cross, "it is finished."

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us Titus 3:5

What are you understanding of God ? And what words would you use to tell us?

12-Apr-23
Well said Two Feathers.

12-Apr-23
“the words you speak should come from the heart. The thief on the cross next to Jesus didn’t pray those words but we do know what he said and where he went”

“All prayer must come from your heart…..”

The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart…I get that and believe that for if the heart isn’t in the right place then true obedience won’t be there. Jesus is “the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him” (Heb. 5:9) The thief lived and died under the old covenant. Jesus nailed the old covenant to the cross (Col. 2:14). Jesus is the Mediator of the new covenant (Heb. 12:24), making the old obsolete (Heb. 6-13) and freeing us from the old covenant (Rom. 1-6). “Whatever things were written before were written for our learning” (Rom. 15:4). The old law was our tutor to bring us to Christ (Gal. 3:19-25) but we are no longer under the old law and I’m thankful because there was a lot of things in that law that would be difficult to follow (animal sacrifices, etc.).

“Can’t you understand that Christians have a message of forgiveness from God that they are speaking to other people in their own words, or, are you all about nit picking and fault finding.”

I’m not sure if that is directed at me or just a general statement. I asked a simple question because I have many friends who say the same thing as the OP stated but none can give me a scripture or example where someone was saved by just saying a prayer. Saul talked to Jesus and then prayed (hard) and repented for three days yet Ananias told him he still had sin and then told him how to remove the sin. (Acts 9:1-13; Acts 22:16) No doubt prayer is an important part of our relationship to God, as referenced above, but so is obedience (Heb. 5:9; John 14:15, etc). Jesus in Luke 6:46 “But why do you call Me Lord, Lord, and not do the things which I say”.

“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy he saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit” Titus 3:5 Yes…Grace is God’s part and without it we would be lost but a working faith is our part (James 2:14-26).

“What are you understanding of God? And what words would you use to tell us?

If that is directed to me then the only answer I have is the words of Jesus (John 14:1; Luke 13:3; Matt. 10:32; Mark 16:16; Rev. 2:10) my words don’t matter.

Thanks guys for helping me understand a little better of the reasoning behind this teaching.

12-Apr-23
"my words don’t matter"

Oh but indeed they do.

"If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1John 5:8-11

Hawg, Do you have the witness, that is as John has stated, do you possess eternal life now? Or, are you still trying to purchase it with good behavior?

" I asked a simple question because I have many friends who say the same thing as the OP stated but none can give me a scripture or example where someone was saved by just saying a prayer. " You've already reasoned it not to be a matter of a boiler plate prayer, repeated before God and "presto changeo" "wham" , you are thereby a Christian.

"Saul talked to Jesus and then prayed (hard) and repented for three days yet Ananias told him he still had sin and then told him how to remove the sin." If you believe water will wash away sins, you are beguiled. Baptism is a witness to what has happened prior to the baptism.

"Grace is God’s part and without it we would be lost but a working faith is our part"

Your problem is with the grace of God, and you are unsure of being saved. That has been an issue for centuries. It is like God made the down payment with Christ and you have installments to make to finalize the deal. You thereby diminish the extent to which the blood of Christ covers your sin. You sit in the position of, maybe till today he has but tomorrow I may choose not to be a Christian, and blow the deal. I said, "your heart reveals you".

Christ died for my sins. He made himself known to me as my Saviour. In the blink of an eye I went from not needing a sacrifice to trusting that he himself paid for my sins and I possess eternal life because of him, his graciousness, his love to me, as though I were the thief on the cross, helpless.

I've heard it before, "just in case I have to work at being saved", "I feel like I have to do something", that's a natural emotion, rather, submit yourself to the finished work of Christ and live the Christian walk of gratefulness for the goodness of God revealed to you.

12-Apr-23
My bad...I should have said my thoughts or beliefs don't matter only God's Word matters and that's why I listed some (not all) of the words of Christ.

"You've already reasoned it not to be a matter of a boiler plate prayer, repeated before God and "presto changeo" "wham", you are thereby a Christian." I didn't reason anything...only asking where this teaching comes from because I haven't found it in God's Word yet I've been told it's there. You and others have helped me understand where the idea comes from. Thanks again.

"If you believe water will wash away sins, you are beguiled." Jesus told Saul that Ananias would tell him what he must (greek 'dei' = necessity) do...those were Ananias's recorded words (Acts 22:16) that said that not mine. I Peter 3:18-22 explains it much better.

"Baptism is a witness to what has happened prior to the baptism." If so then Saul/Paul shouldn't have been told to be baptized...he still had sin.

"Your problem is with the grace of God, and you are unsure of being saved." Not a problem at all as I stated above. I'm sorry you believe that about me.

"just in case I have to work at being saved", "I feel like I have to do something". I don't feel like I have to work at anything but according to Luke 6:46; John 14:1; Luke 13:3; Matt. 10:32; Mark 16:16; Rev. 2:10 I do have to obey...Jesus's words not mine.

Again...the OP had a great analogy and intent which I admired and respected. I just had a question which I think has been answered. Thanks,

12-Apr-23
Hawg,

So I can take it that you don't have the witness 1 John 5 speaks of, eternal life ?

• Sitka Gear