MIDaniel 06-Sep-23
MIDaniel 06-Sep-23
MIDaniel 06-Sep-23
Huntiam 06-Sep-23
MIDaniel 06-Sep-23
Bou'bound 07-Sep-23
MIDaniel 08-Sep-23
12-Apr-23
Hey Guys, Going to be hunting with Jonah in late May this year on a baited brown bear hunt. I know many on here have done this hunt before, so I am looking for some advice on a few things. I am specifically worried about dealing with bugs, along with some timely tips on what to do and not to do, bring and not to bring...Never been to Alaska or hunted dangerous game, so this should be fun! Thanks in advance.

12-Apr-23
Thermacell for bugs. You’re going to have one heck of a time with them. Good luck!

12-Apr-23
I and a friend hunted with Jonah several years ago. They ran two thermocells and the mosquitos were a non issue. This is a great hunt.

12-Apr-23
Headnet is nice to have. Good luck!!

12-Apr-23
Do the bears smell the thermacell? I know they will smell you too if they are downwind but doesn’t it leave a residual odor when you’re not there? I’m curious about this because I used one on a black bear hunt and all bears vanished after I ran the thermacell.

12-Apr-23
I always thought it would be a good idea to save the used thermacell cards and leave them at the bait.

12-Apr-23
We’ve never had an issue with them smelling it, I’m sure they do though. Can’t imagine hunting spring bears without a few of them going. Jonah’s success rate on these hunts indicates it’s a non issue.

12-Apr-23
What Nick said.

12-Apr-23
Always bear hunt with thermacels. Just black bears but I couldn’t imagine them not being able to smell everything. Sounds like they have it figure out.

12-Apr-23
I would listen to Jonah, but if you really need internet validation I would listen to Nick.

12-Apr-23
What's one of these baited hunt go R orand what's the wait list like?

13-Apr-23

Leo17's embedded Photo
Leo17's embedded Photo

13-Apr-23

Leo17's embedded Photo
Leo17's embedded Photo

13-Apr-23
I have been twice with Jonah on these baited bear hunts. I killed 2 brown bears and 4 black bears. He’s got it dialed in. You will have a great time. Just be ready for long sits and it gets cold at night in May. Bring warm clothes. Also don’t mess around, take the first good shot presented. Black bears will be out in full force. I’d see more than 20 a night. Brown bears are way more wary so be ready

13-Apr-23
I'd second what Leo said about the temps!! I had a set of Sitka Fanatics sitting back home that I would've paid good money to have them shipped out to me!! I hunted from a ground blind and ended up sitting inside my sleeping bag more than one night. With it being a stand hunt you don't have much opportunity to warm up on stand. We ran thermocells and ozonics in the blind and we had black bears around us 24/7.

13-Apr-23

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
As mentioned by Leo and Scott, think more November whitetail hunting clothes vs spring bear hunt clothes. I would consider hiking poles to help with river crossings. We used the thermacell that goes on the jet boil type fuel canister and had black bears all the time too.

13-Apr-23
seemed like brownies would come in and immediately lay down to eat the bait. so be prepared to take a shot at before they do this or when they stand up from eating. staring at those buggers while they eat laying down while waiting for the best shot is tough on ya at times. I noticed this anyway. i was in a ground blind and the bugs werent too bad in there. while we rafted down the river to camp is when i noticed them more so. headnet was fine for me. bring some entertainment during long sits.

13-Apr-23
gene shot my bear btw. lol i got too antsy

13-Apr-23

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Fantastic hunt and experience

In my opinion the black bears smelled us and didn’t care. Seemed like they’d come up to the tree and say hi when we came in

The brown bears? I had one down wind at 9pm the first night. He was visibly concerned. Circled the tree, paved back and forth, worked his way to the bait but never committed and blew out

If they can smell the thermacell they can most likely smell you

13-Apr-23
Interesting what loess above said. I hunted with Jonah several years ago. The brownie I shot came in an immediately laid down and used its legs and paws to rake bait (dry dog food) to its mouth. And it was facing me. It finally rose, walked to directly under my tree stand and then bolted back in the direction it came from. Ten minutes later it came back, laid down facing me and fed again. It stood up, started to walk away quartering and I arrowed it. That was about 4 am, after getting in the tree at about 6pm. Guide and I waited two hours to track it and found it dead and stiff 80 yards from the bait. I arrowed a black the next evening. Was a great hunt.

13-Apr-23

13-Apr-23
These experiences all line up for which seems a good outfitter and hunt.

How many days are the hunts fellas?

14-Apr-23
I want to say 8. Mine was done in 3 days and jonah got me out

12 hour sits for 8 days is a grind. You quickly forget about the grind when you see a brown bear on the ground.

The fun doesn’t end either. Everyone who comes to my house is in awe with the size of the skull and rug. Many cocktails have been shared telling the story to friends

14-Apr-23
when you guys say treestands, what type of stand? Are you sitting in a lone wolf or a wood type structure. I'd probably fall asleep and fall out of a lone wolf lol. Hey mike good luck on your hunt and if you think about it maybe you could shoot a few pics of your stand and set up for those of us who may never get to go on a hunt like this. Good luck.

14-Apr-23
when you guys say treestands, what type of stand? Are you sitting in a lone wolf or a wood type structure. I'd probably fall asleep and fall out of a lone wolf lol. Hey mike good luck on your hunt and if you think about it maybe you could shoot a few pics of your stand and set up for those of us who may never get to go on a hunt like this. Good luck.

15-Apr-23

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
This was my set up. Two millennials. My buddies had ground blinds

My stand was very easy to sleep in. Well set up by jonah

15-Apr-23
Great hunt, but be ready for a grind. I went a full 7 days, 12+ per day and unfortunately last year was a late exit from hibernation and only saw one brown bear (plenty of black bear and some real giants). Most stands require a trek to get to the stand (mine was 2.5 mile walk from camp). You have to pack a lot (think lightweight gear, waders, boots, rain gear, cold weather clothers, etc) as need to be ready for 70 degrees, rain, and the coldest you ever have been as high tide with moisture and a little wind at night gets BAD cold! His set ups for tree stands and ground blinds are second to none. Camp sites are set up with everything you need and have a shock fence around them for visiting black bears! Debating on going again as not many people in the world get crack at these giants and Jonah will give you the best shot to get one. Good luck!

15-Apr-23
What’s the going rate for this hunt. Not on his website. Is he in BSC

16-Apr-23
Not sue what he is charging this year, but likely in the $25-28k range.

16-Apr-23
What’s the going rate for this hunt. Not on his website. Is he in BSC

17-Apr-23
Thanks for all the great experiences and information. I am going very early in the year, in fact I leave May 19th...it is the first hunt. I am a bit concerned with the early timing, especially with your comments Greg...but Jonah has assured me that it is still a good time...and the best time to kill a big bear. I have booked a one way ticket so If I have to stay more than 8 days I will.

I have been struggling on packing for this hunt. Just like you said, Greg, this is more like a whitetail hunt than a western hunt. That said, I would not want to walk very far in my Sitka Fanatic gear! But, freezing while sitting for 8-11 hours on stand does not sound appealing to me! Hopefully I'll have a pic to share with you guys in a month or so.

17-Apr-23
Good luck Mike. It’s a great hunt.

19-Apr-23
I will just restate what has already been said. Be quiet, be ready, move slow. Browns are super wired like the worst whitetail and smart. If you don't shoot the first one at the first opportunity, you may regret it.

21-Apr-23
Make sure you or your guide are awake at all times as it's a hunt of a lifetime and you don't want the bear to show up when both of you are sleeping. ESPECIALLY 12am-4am!! Good luck.

22-May-23
Looking forward to the hunt report

22-May-23
Just curious- what is it like hunting at night? I know it doesn’t get totally dark up there that time of year, but it must get dark enough to make it difficult to see pins at some point? About how many hours or minutes do you lose to low light conditions?

22-May-23
If I remember correctly Perry there was a couple hours of darkness where it wasn’t possible to shoot… give or take an hour

22-May-23
Light enough to see pins at 12:40 AM on June 7. Not light enough to follow the blood trail though.

23-May-23
Depends on your set up, but count on 1-4 being really hard to see. Especially if in a ground blind. You can still make out outline of bear and judge size, but very hard to tell if quartering to or away slightly and you don't want to track a wounded bear. Also get ready for some cold if you are on one of the ocean stands as high tide at night and low temps make for some of the coldest you will ever feel!!

23-May-23
Thanks guys- yeah, that must be REALLY different to watch the light get lower and lower and then a few hours later (while still on stand) getting lighter....................must be really hard to stay awake and stay focused in between!

24-May-23
It’s been several years, but if I recall correctly, where I hunted, in a tree stand, it was too dark to shoot from roughly 1-330 am. There were bears on the bait, but it would have been hard to see pins. I arrowed mine at about 345 am.

24-May-23
Good luck Mike! Looking forward to your success stories!

30-May-23
Pssst?

30-May-23
I heard that same thing Shug…

—jim

30-May-23
It's a good one. Just saw pics on Instagram.

30-May-23
Instagram before Bowsite? What has this world come to?

31-May-23
Now comparing a regular River trip for griz vs a stand over bait trip. Aren't the cost the same, 25k and it seems a river trip would demand the high cost due to all the logistics and equipment needed. Whereas a baited site is fairly simple , throw bait down and wait, seems like the baited hunt should be less? Just wondering.

31-May-23
LB if you talk to outfitters flying and packing hundreds of pounds of bait everyday for weeks prior to your hunt I would bet they would disagree. I almost think the opposite, straight logistics/prep cost may be less for a boat hunt. Possibly more “work” on the guiding side while clients are in camp, but a bit less upfront.

But regardless, let’s not kid ourselves, the driving factor for hunt prices is demand. Guys are willing to pay, the outfitters will keep raising prices.

—Jim

31-May-23
Bait has to be replenished virtually every day, at multiple bait sites, for several weeks, by airplane. Due to hordes of black bears eating the bait. I'm guessing that adds to the cost.

Edit: Looks like I posted the same time as JTreeman

31-May-23
Heard about some success up there a couple of nights ago from a well-known bowsiter. Hopefully we will get a good recap from the big guy...

31-May-23

Instagram before Bowsite? What has this world come to?

AMEN Matt! Isn’t that in the Bowsite agreement we all signed?! ;-)

31-May-23
Bowsite needs an instagram page :)

31-May-23
"Instagram before Bowsite? What has this world come to?"

Sacrilege!

31-May-23

Bowsite needs an instagram page :)

Oh HELL No! : (

01-Jun-23
The cost is crazy, but justified when you see what they do. They have two planes in the sky every day feeding multiple bait sights. It is logistically difficult from this point of view. Like everything today, the cost has gone to the moon.

My hunt was great, but unsuccessful. I had a big bear come in the first night right at the edge of shooting light...I just didn't feel comfortable shooting, I could see my pins, but little detail on the bear, so I passed. The next two nights, the big boy came in the darkest part of the night. I could see him clearly through my binos, but no way I could have shot. On the fourth night, he came in about 10:30 and gave me a shot. I made what I thought was a perfect shot...It was too dark to see the arrow too well, but it is hard to miss a VW bus at 18 yards...the shot felt perfect. We went back to camp that night and I slept perfectly knowing the beast would be just inside the woods dead in the morning...However, it was not to be. We found one spot of blood and searched most of the rest of the day to no avail. I really don't know what happened, but the proof is in the pudding. So that was my hunt, and I was resolved to go back and do it again....until I found out what the cost was to do this hunt now, 27% increase in price over 2 years! Gonna have to save my pennies for a bit longer

01-Jun-23
Sorry you werent able to find your bear man! That is rough. Where do you think you may have hit him? Sounds like there wasnt much blood.

01-Jun-23
Damn sorry to hear that - sounds like an awesome hunt otherwise. Any pics of the brown bear before you shot or any of the black bears, camp etc?

01-Jun-23
Sorry you weren’t successful, but you still had a successful adventure!

01-Jun-23
What’s he get for this hunt now? When I did it I paid 18K

01-Jun-23
Pat… WTF?

01-Jun-23

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Mike, sounds like you had a great adventure, sorry it didn’t work out. I hope you’re able to come back and try again.

Those disputing cost, Imagine what it must cost to feed this many bears (or more) on 10 bait sites, from an airplane for two months…AV gas is over $7.50/gallon, dog food is about 30$ a bag. Jonah works extremely hard at what he does and it’s without question his baited brown bear hunt is the best offered anywhere up here. I don’t even feel there is a close 2nd.

01-Jun-23
Dbl post

01-Jun-23
Nick I’m not questioning the cost at all… I was just curious..

01-Jun-23
WTF

01-Jun-23
Ok Eric… get on here and respond

01-Jun-23
Sorry you didn't get bear Mike, but, I'm sure the rush of having those bears come in was awesome and heart pounding. The cost is high but hearing nick break it down I can see why. I don't think I'll ever spend that kind of money for a bear but just the thought of it is exciting. How did you get to and from the stand and what was it like walking out of the area? Hope you all had some big guns.

02-Jun-23
That's a tough one Mike! Must be even harder not knowing what happened........................

02-Jun-23
Sorry to hear on the shot. You still will have many great memories as that is a once in a lifetime hunt. It is likely over $25-30k now and whatever the cost, it is well worth the experience as Jonah works his tail off for you for for every penny. I totally agree with Nick on his camp being 2nd to none as have talked to most of the big brown outfitters. His 10 stands are not easy to set up (multiple flight trips in to carry gear in and set up), baits EVERY stand EVERY day via plane, spike camps are required for each stand, he checks in with you and the guide every couple of days to see if you need anything, etc, etc - he doesn't miss a detail. It is definitely a grind hunt if you don't get one early as 12+ hours per day on stand for 7 days gets long. Hope others consider giving it a shot even with the cost moving up. You won't regret crossing one off your bucket list!

02-Jun-23
I’m curious what type of arrow set up and broadhead you guys are using for this baited brown bear hunt? I’ve talked with Jonah and he was recommending expandable’s if I remember right.

02-Jun-23
The current cost is $28,000 to book now? is this correct?

02-Jun-23
Good Brown bear hunts in Alaska are averaging around $30K these days, and with archery equipment I’d guess the success rate is well under 50%, closer to 25%. I hate to speculate at the opportunity/success rate of Jonah’s baited hunts, but it’s far higher than any other archery brown bear hunt in the state.

02-Jun-23
Yes 28k plus tags etc

03-Jun-23

BowJangles's embedded Photo
BowJangles's embedded Photo
I got in at $22K but booked back in late 2020. Worth every nickel!

03-Jun-23
NICE! Can’t wait to hear the story!

But you should have taken t-roy’s advice! (that bear looks kinda small with you in the pic ;-)

03-Jun-23
There he is! Congratulations Eric!

03-Jun-23
A polar and now a Brown with a recurve. Congrats !

03-Jun-23
Mike, what a bummer that you could not find the bear. Sounds like a great trip, never the less. Thanks for sharing the story.

03-Jun-23
Eric congrats on the brown bear! Also shot it with your trad bow awesome.

03-Jun-23
Awesome bear, Eric! Looking forward to the story!

03-Jun-23
Eric, that's what I'm talking about! I knew you would do it.

03-Jun-23
Congrats Eric! I'm looking forward to the story!

03-Jun-23
Whatever this hunt costs today is probably the cheapest it will ever be.

03-Jun-23
congrats to anyone who has the desire to book a brown bear archery hunt! a stick bow brown bear is on a whole new level. I hope to book this in the next few years. Congrats to all archery brown bear hunters who got to go in 2023!

04-Sep-23
Hi I will be hunting with Jonah in june 2024 for one brown bear and two black bears.Or maybe two browns. Did anny of you that hunted brown bears with him saw more then one brown bear in 8 days? What set-up did you used while hunting there? I am shooting an 82 pounds compound with 980 graines arrows. I use German kinetics in 210 graines. It is the same I like using for cape buffalo.

04-Sep-23
Hi I will be hunting with Jonah in june 2024 for one brown bear and two black bears.Or maybe two browns. Did anny of you that hunted brown bears with him saw more then one brown bear in 8 days? What set-up did you used while hunting there? I am shooting an 82 pounds compound with 980 graines arrows. I use German kinetics in 210 graines. It is the same I like using for cape buffalo.

04-Sep-23
You shouldn't need that much wallop for a thin-skinned animal like a bear, but if that's your normal set-up then sure, stay with it. I would say the vast majority of bears are killed with typical set ups at 55-70 lbs and 400-500 grains of arrow weight. If you want 2 brown bears, he might possibly move you after your first bear, if there aren't multiple boars showing up on the camera at the initial bait site. You could inquire with him about it.

04-Sep-23
Thank you for your answer sticksender!

04-Sep-23
As suggested above, even though shots should be close there is no reason to deal with the looping trajectory of a 980 gr arrow on a brown bear. I believe Noah recommends Rage broadheads.

05-Sep-23
Matt I can shoot until 35 meters/38 yards witout having anny problem with the arrow going down. And I use only one pin. Rage?? No thanks!

05-Sep-23
MiDaniel, most don’t shoot past 30 yards. so if there are no limbs or obstructions. And you can handle that weight after sitting and draw while seated.

Why wouldn’t you want the added benefit of the momentum. If the light is low and you miss judge the angle a hair. With that set up it won’t matter. You’ll shoot through it length wise. There isn’t a bone on him that will stop the arrow.

05-Sep-23
Sounds like a set up for cape buff. Doesn't take much to get throu a bear, but if that's what you want to shoot have at it you have plenty of gun to get the job done. Be sure you can pull that in cold weather, be ashame if you can't get the bow back after sitti g in the cold. Good luck, what an ax citing trip to look forward too.

05-Sep-23

05-Sep-23
I have used the same bow with a lighter setup for musk ox, for big European boars. It worked flawlessly two times of two for Cape buffalo. I think the most important is to trust your bow. I taught using some rage broadheads but I am more confident in a fixed blade

05-Sep-23
That's a lot of juice! I shot mine at Jonah's at 5 yards with a 48lb recurve and 560 grain arrow. Shot distance can be tailored in that bait can be placed anywhere. You'll never have a shot over 20 yards. I saw 2 browns my first night and killed the biggest. Had at least 3 browns show while we were skinning and bumped 2 others walking out. Zero shortage of browns.

05-Sep-23
I shot mine at about 20 yards, 475 grain arrow, 70 pound bow, Iron Will 125V. The arrow went through his chest and was stuck in the ground beyond the bear. He was dead in about 80 yards. My buddy used very similar set up with same results.

06-Sep-23
Bowjangles my dream is to bowhunt an elephant. This is why I started using that type of bow. I olso shoot an 86 pounds bow with a 1450 graines arrow that we build for that. The hunt is booked for 2025. Hoping of shooting maybe 90 or 95 pounds then. Now when I saw your message I thinh of doing the second brown with a traditional bow. Shooting 55 pounds in traditional.

06-Sep-23
Altitude sickeness you are right. I like shooting heavier arrows . I think you should always think of a bad shoot when you plan your arrows. If I hit the shoulder blade or his forearm it will pas trough. I did a low shot on a musk ox that was going up a hill, hit the joint, arrow passed trough, entered the chest and still had 27 com of penetration. Died afther 80m.

06-Sep-23
LBShooter, it can be colder then in Newfoundland... :-)))) I did a hunt there few years ago and it was fuckin cold and wet and miserable and I was still able to pull my bow. I have constructed a small 3D range at home where I can shoot sitting from a tree stand, from a closed blind or from behind a tree at distances from 15 to 30 meters. Temperature isn't helping for the moment we have 37-39 celsius in France.

06-Sep-23
95lbs shew your just killing your body ..dead is dead

06-Sep-23
Huntiam, why do you think that?

07-Sep-23
Those are impressive draw weights.

08-Sep-23
Bou’bound thank’s! Started 10 years ago with 48 and got up afther. My son is 13 and he shoots 60 pounds.

• Sitka Gear