WapitiBob 14-Apr-23
rattling_junkie 14-Apr-23
2Wild Bill 15-Apr-23
BTM 15-Apr-23
Rgiesey 15-Apr-23
Mike Ukrainetz 16-Apr-23
carcus 16-Apr-23
13-Apr-23
So planning for my spring bear hunt and have a question. I have the old thermacell that I think most of us have. I have seen thermacell has since come out with other variations of their product. I saw one that was rechargeable and covers larger area.

Just curious if anyone has tried some of the newer variations, or found that the original one covers enough area and works just fine.

13-Apr-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Not sure exactly what models you're looking at but here's my old model and new one. Can't say I noticed any difference as far as coverage goes. The only difference I really noticed is it's more stream lined for fitting in pockets or vest easier and more importantly it doesn't go out as easily. My old one had issues staying lit if not straight up and down or when bumped around the new one dosen't have those issues.

13-Apr-23

bghunter's Link
Those are the models I currently have. I should have posted a picture.

This was the one I saw and was just curious as it covers a larger area.

13-Apr-23
The tried and true still works perfectly for me!

13-Apr-23
Brotsky

Thanks they always worked great, just figured I would see if technology may have changed

13-Apr-23
bg, I have a couple of the lanterns we use at home on the deck in the summer. They seem to work great as well. They all use similar tech though. The new rechargeable ones look really interesting for that application, just haven't needed to try them out just yet.

13-Apr-23
I have the original version. It always worked fine for me. I also bought one that's made for a patio table, but I never used it yet. It's still in the box after 2 years.

13-Apr-23
Two old ones are worth a fortune!!

13-Apr-23
I can't believe those work for all of you!

When the wife & I camp it works great for her but all be darned if it will for me. I can be 2'-3' from it & I get hammered like nobody's business. Not sure why, this has been this way for years. I will mention it's the same thing when at home sitting on our deck, mosquitoes just love me!! (grin)

ElkNut

13-Apr-23
I used 2 original ones last spring bear hunting and will again this spring. Worked fine with no issues.

13-Apr-23
Well I think I think then I will just stock up on refills and stick with the original.

13-Apr-23
I've used one for years..once I turn it on..never had a problem with skeeter. The newer versions are a lot quiver as far as the ignite button

13-Apr-23
I upgraded because the old one would not stay lit I have the new one which uses a liquid tank and rechargable battery, and it works just as well as the butane. I should say, both are fantastic at driving away mosquitos, and most flying bugs.

13-Apr-23

13-Apr-23
I don't know how guys bear hunted without them back in the day. Would have been miserable!

13-Apr-23
I have 4 of the original ones. 3 work great and 1 has been finicky since the day I got it. It stays in camp. ElkNut, I usually put mine 3-5 feet upwind of me. Seems to help.

14-Apr-23
I’ve been wondering about the rechargable ones. So all you need are the blue pads for those?

14-Apr-23
Rut Nut, I believe those have the liquid tank. I've got the EX90 https://www.thermacell.com/products/category/rechargeable

14-Apr-23
Sorry, I've got the EX55.

14-Apr-23
Chuckster, we've had a couple for years & I've sat everywhere around it & still get attacked non-stop, not sure what it is? Maybe I smell like crap! (grin)

ElkNut

14-Apr-23
Oh, ok- thanks Wild Bill. So I guess the repellent is actually liquid as opposed to in pad form. I like the fact there are no butane cartridges to run out...................

14-Apr-23
How did we ever hunt without the thermocell?

14-Apr-23
Bear hunting in the eighties the buzzing on the headnet would drive me crazy

14-Apr-23
I used to hate early season deer hunting in WI because the mosquitoes were so bad.

14-Apr-23
Thermacell Backpacker

14-Apr-23
Thermacells are amazing. Hunting spring bear in Manitoba really puts them to the test, and they pass! I won't hunt without 1 or 2.

15-Apr-23

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Has anyone used the Thermacell tick tubes ? I live in the country and a lawn spray contractor I know says spraying the lawn is effective but needs frequent applications to kill ticks brought on to the lawn by mice and deer. Apparently ticks spend more time on mice than deer. There are different brands that attract mice. The mice get the permethrin on them to kill the ticks. This contractor says it’s what he recommends instead of him spraying the lawn.

15-Apr-23
I'm more inclined to kill the mice that want to live too close for comfort. In the springtime I sprinkle pellets around my house and garage to stop the ants and it is also effective on ticks.

15-Apr-23
What's the maximum elevation where they'll work? The last time I looked at the package, it said 4,500 feet, which means I'd need to dig a 3,000-foot hole to use it here in Wyoming. :)

15-Apr-23
I would have never bought one based on the crazy claims. Alway been absolutely amazing with mosquitoes. Not as foolproof with black flies.

16-Apr-23
ElkNut, (Paul) We use them in our wooden box blinds, with big shooting windows, no screens, for our spring bear hunts and there are literally zero mosquitoes in the blind with you. You don’t even need repellent at all. Shut it off and 10 minutes later the blind is so full of mosquitoes, I think you could die from them. Turn it back on and you are back to zero mosquitoes within 10 minutes. In the wide open with some wind it doesn’t work nearly as well but still very effective. Very weird that it doesn’t work for you? Maybe the mosquitoes in your area are friends with the elk, trying to take you out?! Haha

16-Apr-23
Its always in my pack when bear hunting in the spring, I use it elk and moose hunting as well

• Sitka Gear