Philbow 18-Apr-23
x-man 18-Apr-23
12yards 18-Apr-23
cnelk 18-Apr-23
x-man 18-Apr-23
Papadeerhtr 24-Apr-23
WV Mountaineer 24-Apr-23
16-Apr-23
Who among us can consistently shoot archery MOA (1 inch at 10 yards, 2” at 20, 5”at 50, etc). Say out to 70 yards.

Not with broadheads and not bundled up with Hunting gear. Just standing in the backyard in shorts shooting field points at dots.

I can’t do it!

16-Apr-23
Nope. But MOE matters more.

Minute of elk

16-Apr-23
No.

16-Apr-23
For the most part, I can out to 40-45yds. Further than that, it can definitely start spreading out a bit. Since I limit my shots at animals to 40-45yds, most times they’re much closer, it’s not a problem.

16-Apr-23
Yes most days!!

16-Apr-23
Yes and 5" is to big think 3" are less.. many years 30+ of league twice week and 3-d are field shoot every Sunday helps.. and the most important,the set up makes night and day difference, good balanced arrows , balanced long forgiving bow, smooth cam stabilizers rest, scopes 4&6 power, clarifier, back tension release. And no less then 50 arrows a day and you can do it. With my hunting bow 40 yards all I try not near the same setup. 1000s of archers 3-d and field shooters can all pretty much do this. There are many can stretch it to 80yds. It more the set up then shooter. Shoot a smoothbore 12 slug at 100 yds then a rifled 12 ga. Witch will group better. Bows are the same, select right tool for the job.

16-Apr-23
I use a selfbow, just cannot make it happen.

16-Apr-23
Missouri l also shoot selfbows, some times 20s a challenge

16-Apr-23
I shoot instinctive. On most days I can not do it on a bullseye target. But what I can do is rove around with Judo points and shoot the heads off of weeds consistently at my hunting "range". I'll take that!!!

My problem on bullseye targets is that I probably "think" too much about the shot instead of just looking and shooting like I do on the weed heads. "Too much mind"...

16-Apr-23
As far as the internet knows...I can. ;-)

16-Apr-23
Yeah.. normally not a problem.

16-Apr-23
Yes. With a slider, tuned bow, a good arrow and a consistent release, it’s not all that hard. Just have to have confidence in yourself and your set up. And practice a lot.

16-Apr-23

Coondog's embedded Photo
120 yard group
Coondog's embedded Photo
120 yard group
Coondog's embedded Photo
111 yard caribou target for the truck at TAC
Coondog's embedded Photo
111 yard caribou target for the truck at TAC
Yes, I can. Shooting long distance is no different than shooting at 20 yards… it’s all a mental thing about the target looking smaller. There’s nothing like watching a an arrow arc into the kill on a target!

16-Apr-23
Good shooting !

16-Apr-23
At 50-yards and under, I generally beat the "inch per 10-yard" standard every time. If I practice more at the 60 and 70 yard markers, I should be able to achieve the same standard - but I have a "pitch count" to avoid aggravating my neck and shoulder issues, so the longer practice shots often don't make the cut. I think long-range practice is good for confidence at hunting ranges and makes the shooting aspect of bowhunting more automatic for me.

16-Apr-23
20 yards with sights and a release, 2” on consecutive shots from a single spot was no big deal. At 40, I was more like 8”.

Shooting long with a single-string, unless I do something definitely Wrong (where I know it right at the release) , I am generally about 1cm spread per yard. Laterally. I don’t usually use a hard reference for elevation, but I have been working on that and it definitely has helped, but with about a second and a half of hang time, elevation errors DO get magnified…

16-Apr-23
I can shoot a 4 inch 3 shot group at 40 yds last week. By that I could shoot an archery MOA. On an indoor target I can't shoot a 300 which is a 3.1" bullseye at 20yds so that would say no.

16-Apr-23
Only with my wheel bow! ;)

17-Apr-23
Nope, not me. I was pleased as hell the other night when I put 5 arrows in a 4-4.5" group at 30 yards on my first 30 yard shooting session of the year. I used my range finder to find my shooting location at 30 yards. When I did, I thought man! That looks like a mile! LOL. I'm not a western hunter, mostly a close range midwest whitetail hunter. 30 yards looks like a long ways when I'm in my treestand. But I do practice out to 60 yards during the offseason. And no, I cannot maintain MOA.

17-Apr-23
I shoot MOA every day....Moments Of Anger.

17-Apr-23
How is it measured? Is it group size or distance from point of aim?

17-Apr-23

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Not without sights, but, I've never shot with sights (or with a release)!

When all the stars are aligned, I can perform pretty well. This was 60 yards at a 3D competition

17-Apr-23
Boreal

Group size if you are grouping getting it to the right place is easy part

17-Apr-23
To clarify a bit, MOA is actually 1/2" (.525") at 50 yards. When people say "archery MOA", it's really MOA X 10.

17-Apr-23
It all depends on your definition of a group size.

By my personal definition, if you don't shoot 300's every time indoors, you cannot claim this. Before my first shoulder injury I averaged 52x 299.9 during indoor league. I haven't been able to shoot more than 20 arrows a day for almost ten years now.

If you are talking about three arrow groups, then yes, most days I can with my 900 target setup with slider & scope. I was never able to keep more than 90% of my shots within that range using my hunting setup. Mostly due to larger fixed pins and short stabs.

17-Apr-23
"if you don't shoot 300's every time indoors, you cannot claim this."....yep....

17-Apr-23
No kidding on the 300 I got to where I'd count just the x's. As far as 3d shooting the MBR class 45 yes. You want to place better be shooting inch to two inch groups st 50

17-Apr-23

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I’m more like MOPP…grin

17-Apr-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Some days, I’m happy with MOB (Minute of Backstop). These are within 1cm/yard.
Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Some days, I’m happy with MOB (Minute of Backstop). These are within 1cm/yard.
"if you don't shoot 300's every time indoors, you cannot claim this."

I won’t argue that…. LOL.

17-Apr-23
Now that's me with a longbow :(

17-Apr-23
Maybe out to 40 or so. Not any further

17-Apr-23
“To clarify a bit, MOA is actually 1/2" (.525") at 50 yards. When people say "archery MOA", it's really MOA X 10.”

Hence the reference to archery MOA.

17-Apr-23
Number of shots is a big factor. When bench rest shooters claim 1 MOA its usually refers to a five shot group. its much easier with 3.

18-Apr-23
I’m one that constantly keeps them in there or less.

Im not really sure how someone can do it at 20, but not at 40, 60 or 100 though (assuming wind isn’t an issue)

18-Apr-23
I tend to shoot WHOA. Whoa, I hope I can find that one.

18-Apr-23
For those reading this that have never shot in a 300 Indoor league. These are five-arrow groups (called "ends"). Two practice ends followed by 12 scoring ends. The bullseye is five points and is approximately 3" (50% larger than the 2" required for archery MOA).

You get to shoot five arrows standing on flat level ground, and all you have to do is keep them in that large bullseye. Easy Peasy. ;) and if you're worried about robinhooding, you can choose a five-spot target face so there's never more than one arrow in each bullseye.

I encourage every archer/bowhunter to join an Indoor league. They run January-March and offer repetitive muscle memory practice and shot sequence as well as aim control and target panic control.

As good as I was, there were only two seasons that I kept 100% of my arrows inside the five ring. If the five was only 2", I would not be able to say that.

18-Apr-23
x-man, is that 20 yrds I assume?

18-Apr-23
All my dead animals says I can ;>}

18-Apr-23
12yards, 20 yards :)

24-Apr-23
Yep sure can! I shoot a lot tho and really like shooting long distance. Makes shots at 20 and under chip shots.

24-Apr-23
If the sun was highlighting the target and I’m in the shade, I think I could do it out to 50 yards. But, my eye is scared pretty bad and it creates a lot of obstacles when shooting. So, I know I couldn’t do it to 70. I know I don’t have the mental fortitude to do it day after day either even if my eye wasn’t scared.

So, for me it’s a big fat negative.

• Sitka Gear