badbull 21-Apr-23
hdaman 21-Apr-23
Rgiesey 21-Apr-23
MStyles 21-Apr-23
Paul@thefort 21-Apr-23
17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
So I guess I’ve put this off long enough. I considered not posting at all but I know many of my friends would want to know and others who I don’t really know at all have followed along on many of our many adventures together. Exactly one month ago today my much beloved Bo rumbled over the Rainbow Bridge, the telltale tinkle of his dog tags and muted thuds of those giant paws announcing his stunning presence. I have little doubt that every creature in Heaven stopped to look, if only for a moment. That’s how it was for 16 years as he lumbered around by my side on walks, camping trips, hunts, adventures, trips to Bass Pro and Home Depot, and on and on.….my constant companion. It became somewhat of a joke…..I’d return from walking him and Ginger would ask, “Well, how many ‘he’s Gorgeous’ did you get today? Um, maybe 5 or 6, I lost count,” I’d reply with a big grin. I’d always tell people that I wish I had a dollar for every time I answered the questions: What kind of dog is he? (Bernese Mountain dog and Chow) How much does he weigh? (140 pounds for years) I’m so blessed to have had him for 16 years; my vet told me he had never seen a dog that big live that long. It was 100% God’s blessing; I used to pray all the time “Lord, please let Bo live so long that he rocks the World with his longevity and that I can give you the glory.” Prayer answered. God continued to bless me even in his passing. I was on a hunting trip in Texas when it happened, although I was fully aware of what was going on. It was the Lord’s way of making it a little easier on me, no doubt. I can’t thank my family enough for all they did for Bo and me his last couple of days. Ginger, Andrew and Austin took on a lot and made some very tough decisions in my absence and I’m so appreciative. I love y’all! Opening day of turkey season in Georgia was April 1 and I met the boys at our camp in Rockdale County where I found Bo after someone had abandoned him as a puppy. It was an hour and a half before daylight and we were busy getting our stuff together when Andrew said they had something to show me. I followed them over to the front of Austin’s truck, which I had observed was parked in a place he never parked and now I know why. We stopped and in the light of our headlamps was a sight that froze me in my tracks and rendered me speechless. “We had a little memorial made for you and Bo and planted a white dogwood tree so he’d always be here with us,” Andrew explained. I couldn’t speak so those boys just bear hugged me. I’ll never forget it, thank you!!!!Yes, I’ve searched the Bible about if dogs really go to Heaven and I’ve settled on what the Reverend Billy Graham said : “I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there (in Heaven), I believe he’ll be there.” I believe it too. There have been a few things happen since Bo’s death that I know are signs from him.…there are no other explanations. Thanks Bo. It makes me happy knowing that you’ll be waiting on us when the time comes….run and jump all you want, I’ll be ready. Love you buddy!

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss. Great tribute.

17-Apr-23
The only bad part about having a dog. Nice tribute. C

17-Apr-23
So sorry to hear, John. Prayers.

17-Apr-23
Really sorry, great looking dog. They're never really just a dog.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for the loss of your friend. It's hard, I know. You will always have those wonderful memories.

A beautiful tribute to him and you'll see him again someday, no doubt.

-Jim

17-Apr-23
I buried alot of dogs. Never easy...

I usually put in some beer, shells, feathers and wings and toy. Then I have my private cry.

Nice tribute

17-Apr-23
If they weren’t so valuable, then it wouldn’t be such a loss and painful.

So be happy that you miss Bo. That you were lucky enough to have him with you.

Dogs are the best !!

17-Apr-23
Dogs are special. So special.

17-Apr-23
I have to learn to post picture. Last Christmas my daughter gave me a charcoal pencil framed picture.

She had gone thru all of the photos thru the years picked out rhe best.

She had a professional artist do the drawings of all my last 7 hunting dogs, with my current lab in the middle.

They were all brought back to life and it hangs in the den. Pointers, one big South Dakota springer and flushes.

Really nice

17-Apr-23
I sure know what that feels like it’s happened to me a bunch and it hurts and I had a Beau once myself for 13 years.Good Luck and a great tribute btw Lewis

17-Apr-23
I had "ole Gus 16" up and down yrs... no greater freind, they make you laugh and make you cry, part of living.

17-Apr-23
Oh man. I'm crying. Bo was a beautiful dog. I'm very sorry for your loss.

17-Apr-23
So sorry Jasper. Fly high Bo......

17-Apr-23
So sorry for your loss. They are never around long enough. Great tribute.

I have tattoos of both my dogs paws on my shoulders. Unfortunately I know someday I will have to add two more.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss, and yes it hurts. Beautiful tribute.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss, a beautiful pup. No matter how old they get your never really prepared to let them go. The only bad part of owning a dog. Nice tribute.

17-Apr-23
Animals are nothing but love.... and God is love so you will see him again. God Bless

17-Apr-23
sorry to hear of your loss.

nothing better on this planet than a dog. simply the best, nothing else comes close.

i have two at laying near me as i type and at least two others nearby. :).

as others posted, no matter how many you had to part ways with, it doesn't get any easier when it's their time. i sure hope it's true that we get to meet up again on the other side.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss, a beautiful pup. No matter how old they get your never really prepared to let them go. The only bad part of owning a dog. Nice tribute.

17-Apr-23
Lost my Griz last may. 14 yr old newfoundland. Has left a big void in life. Only thing God got wrong on makin dogs is not lettin live longer. Feel the pain.

17-Apr-23
Damn, that hurts. I after I lost my Maggie at 14, it took almost two years to be ready for another one. Just came in from a walk with my "new" lab and read this. They live to love their humans. Cherish the memories. So sorry for your loss.

17-Apr-23
Oh boy...do I know your pain...all too well. But as mentioned, it's the price we pay for having them be such a magnificent part of our lives.

"If tears could build a stairway

And memories were a lane

I would walk right up to heaven

And bring you back again"

17-Apr-23
Great tribute for sure. Love that reflection picture in the pond. Never seen anything similiar.

17-Apr-23
I lost Mo (chocolate lab) on Friday. He was 14. It was hard and I’m going to miss Ole Mo. I feel your pain and going through it myself. It just sucks.

17-Apr-23
Glad you had something to grieve. Dispassionate loss is much more tragic. Love the quote by Billy Graham. I named my little Mountain feist Graham after America's preacher. Thanks for sharing.

17-Apr-23
Condolences. They become part of the family.

17-Apr-23

Knifeman's Link

17-Apr-23
Great looking dog! Sorry for your loss.

17-Apr-23
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost the best hound, a beagle, that I ever had back in February. We only had him for two short years. We lost him due to an automobile incident. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think of him.

17-Apr-23
jasper, Your post brought tears to my old eyes! I have buried more amazing dogs (and some that weren't that amazing) than I can count.

Sorry for your loss brother!! My last remaining dog is my baby Whiskey, she is 12 and I dread the day that I lose her! So, I just put a deposit on a French Brittany that I will get around June of 2024!

The best cure for the broken heart dog dilemma is a new puppy to help feel that void!

God Bless Brother!!

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss! These posts always bring a tear to my eyes remembering my lost four legged buddies.

17-Apr-23
I understand your pain. It was the worst day of my life when l lost mine.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss. Just went through the same and lookin at a new pup. The heart does hurt..

17-Apr-23
John, so sorry for your loss. They truly become a part the family and it hurts when we lose em.

17-Apr-23
It’s definitely rough, we've all been there. But you can celebrate the long life he lived and the good times you had! Nice tribute and good post Jasper!

17-Apr-23
"A richeous man has regard for the life of his animal"...

A connection with a dog is hard to describe unless one has experienced it. I bury mine on my farm, above the creek where the setting sun filters through the trees in an orange glow. Somehow, it gives me peace knowing where they are and knowing they enjoyed hunting that very spot when they were alive.

Not sure if I'll ever see them again, but I'm honored to have been their friend and caregiver.

I know you feel the same, and I feel your loss.

17-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss. For the 1st time in 40 years we are pet less. Seems like every loss is more difficult. Still raw, not sure if we’ll ever have another.

18-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Thanks guys for the kind words and prayers! It’s nice to chat with others who truly understand what a dog really means to us. It’s getting a little easier, I couldn’t even talk about it for weeks. Bo’s mini-me, Fletch, makes the recovery much easier. God bless! John

18-Apr-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

18-Apr-23
It's hard and you have my sympathy. Lost a lab at 15 and two Boykins at near 16. The only salve for it is another puppy. Mine is 3 now and a prime example of why they have a Boykin Spaniel Rescue Society.

18-Apr-23
So sorry for your loss. Always the first one to greet you when you come home and want to just be near you. My heart aches for you. May God rest his soul.

18-Apr-23

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
My wife’s last Dog “Arnie”

18-Apr-23

And now 3 year old “Sumo”

18-Apr-23
My heart goes out to you, Jasper. Had to put the best dog who ever owned me, down, about 10 years ago. Like Bo, Poochie Mama was abandoned on my gravel road. She almost seemed to try extra hard to please us, for taking her in.

18-Apr-23
Jasper, remember the good times... things that will make you smile and give you a warm feeling...there will be times you feel your buddy is right there with you, their love for you is endless. scentman

18-Apr-23

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
So sorry for your loss Jasper, they really take hold of your life and your heart. My JRT is 14 in October, one eyed and half blind in the other, a diabetic and allergic to damn near everything. I don’t even want to know how many thousands we’ve spent on him. We love him though, so whatever it takes is what we’ll do. I’m sure you felt the same about Bo.

18-Apr-23
Always tough losing a buddy. Sorry for your loss.

19-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss. This thread is a great testament to Bo.

19-Apr-23
So sorry to hear that. 16 years is a lot of memories, you gave him a great life.

19-Apr-23
Very sad news when someone loses their best friend. Sorry for your loss.

19-Apr-23
Sorry for your loss, Jasper. It’s such a rough thing to go through.

20-Apr-23
It's always so hard when ya loss a pet.

Hang in there Jasper,

Robb

20-Apr-23
Thank you for posting about your Bo. Although it is terribly hard to discuss, I greatly appreciate you sharing. It truly is amazing the bond we get to share with these amazing animals, what a blessing. I find great comfort in knowing there are others who are wired this way and can truly appreciate this. In all honesty, I am wiping tears away as I type. In time the tears will turn to smiles when you think of your buddy and all the great memories. However you will always be a little less whole that is the trade off of such a deep bond. I lost my Cooper, 2 years and 12 days ago to the day. He was my best friend and companion for 16 years, 5 states and multiple life changes. There is not a day that goes by I do not think of all he did for me and how much I miss him. I know though he was so old and deteriorating, that it was his time. I carry his collar and tags with me on every hunt. He will be with me in the Backcountry this fall in Colorado for an archery sheep hunt! I hope you find peace in time over your loss and find the strength to push forward for Bo. Sending much positive energy and support. Love the quote you chose for the memorial plaques, that's a great saying!

21-Apr-23
Sorry that you are hurting from this loss. Losing a family member is not easy but l can tell from your posts that you gave him the best life possible which is something that you surely can be proud about when you think back about the good times with him. Badbull

21-Apr-23
Thanks for sharing. Makes me both sad and grateful for the dogs I've had and have in my life.

21-Apr-23
Tried to avoid opening this. Great tribute Jasper. Gotta be thankful for all those good days in those 16 yrs. Sorry for your loss!

21-Apr-23
So sorry for your loss of Bo. I pray that as time goes by, his loss will become sweet memories.

21-Apr-23
They train us until they get it right, and then they leave us. Not fair but lots of good memories for sure.

My best, Paul

• Sitka Gear