Lawdog 24-Apr-23
Huntingpooch 26-Apr-23
grossklw 26-Apr-23
SemiSharma 28-Apr-23
scentman 28-Apr-23
Timex? 28-Apr-23
Lewis 10-May-23
18-Apr-23
We made great gumbo with the legs and thighs and I haven’t tried the carnitas yet but I remember seeing some good looking soup recipes mentioned.Anyone have any suggestions on a good recipe.Thanks Lewis

18-Apr-23

Stekewood's Link
We made this on Sunday with wild turkey legs and it is fantastic.

18-Apr-23
Thanks Stekewood that looks good what chiles did you use Lewis

18-Apr-23
Just put some in the crockpot this morning. Used the last of my cooked leg and thigh meat on some wild turkey nachos last night.

18-Apr-23
No exact recipe..... I cook the legs & thighs in insta pot on hi for 50 minutes strain broth & pull meat. In large pot add broth, meat, diced onions, celery, carrots & a heaping spoonful of better than bullion chicken flavor. While this is cooking on low make dumplings. 2 cups flour, 1 cup milk 1 egg Mix roll out on floured counter cut into 1" squares and add to turkey soup.

Wild turkey & dumplings soup.

18-Apr-23
My favorite soup: Simmer wild turkey leg until meat falls off. Jake - 45 minutes. Old Tom - 10 hours. Remove all leg parts. Add onion/carrots/celery and a bay leaf - simmer until tender. Salt to taste. DONE.

I never add bouillon or chicken/turkey seasoning but you could.

18-Apr-23
Lewis, it’s not soup but, good turkey soup only requires cooking it slow. Try this. Turkey salad.

Slow cook the legs and thighs. Think 7-8 hours on 180-200. Braise often.

Couple boiled eggs, good firm canned peas, manzanilla olives, whole sweet onion, garlic, finally diced spinach. Dice it up and put in a bowl. Add a 1/8 -1/4 cup of honey, add cooked Turkey. Hellmans mayo to desired creaminess.

Go light on the olives, fine dice the garlic and soften up in butter, strain and drain and add it to the salad mix.

Salt amounts are to be balanced with the amount of olives. More olives, less salt. Don’t be afraid of it either. Clean salt is acceptable sometimes. It ain’t going to kill you. Ground black pepper to taste.

One whole lemon juiced in the salad. If you are looking for more tart, add vinegar.

You really can’t mess it up.

18-Apr-23
I also make a soup/stew with mine. I brown them in flour and oil, then put ‘em in the crockpot on low with some broth and a couple of onions for about 8 hrs. When I get home, I’ll add various vegetables and egg noodles or rice depending on my tastes of the day, then switch it to high for a couple of hours until the starch is done.

Now I’m hungry…. I need to go kill a turkey!

18-Apr-23
Wow as always Bowsite delivered thanks now our gumbo recipe is great and we can it without the shrimp we add shrimp ?? before serving Good luck Lewis

18-Apr-23
Just like antlers make lousy soup, spurs and fans do about the same... when a fat Jake comes to the gun and arrow I take it!

My main reason for hunting wild game is table fare... can't eat antlers. ;0)

18-Apr-23
Lewis, I grow Anaheim chilis in my garden then fire roast and freeze them at harvest time. They were great for this recipe.

20-Apr-23
Thanks for the info good luck Lewis

20-Apr-23
I was looking for leg and thigh recipes. So, I googled "bowsite turkey leg thigh recipe". There were 2 threads, but they're pretty old from 2010 and 2017. A couple of the recipes looked pretty good to me. I'm going to try a barbecue slow cooker recipe this weekend. I didn't want to bump old threads. You'll find them there if you're interested. I was surprised that quite a few folks likened legs and thighs to boot leather and only breasted the bird. I work too hard to get turkeys, and Florida has a 2 bird season limit. I'm not leaving anything behind.

20-Apr-23
Good luck. The legs are so full of tendons that without some form of tissue breakdown cooking method I just dont see eating them. If I were to smoke them I'd still insta pot them for a good while then smoke and make gravy with the left over cooking stock.

20-Apr-23
Mushroom soup and a pressure cooker. Meat just falls off the bone and tendons.

21-Apr-23
I didn't know there was such a thing as soup recipes lol. I thought soup is just boil meat/bones and add stuff

24-Apr-23
Slow cooked 3 turkey legs and thighs Sunday. Sauteed onions and garlic, browned the meat and put all in slow cooker. I covered it with chicken broth and added 1 tbl of Everglades seasoning. When the meat was falling off of the bone and tendons, I removed the meat, let it cool a bit, and shredded it. Last night it was burritos. Tomorrow....?

26-Apr-23

Huntingpooch's embedded Photo
Not a soup but turn mine into a gravy and put over rice or mashed potatoes. Crockpot for 7-8 hours covered with cream of chicken and milk making sure the meat is fully covered. Remove meat from the bones and tendons, strain the juices into a pan and make that into a gravy. Add the meat to the gravy and serve over rice or potatoes. Super easy, very tasty, and the kids fight over it!

26-Apr-23
I prefer braising them. Throw in a dutch oven with some chicken stock, large chunk onions, celery, and your normal soup spices (thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic, etc). Braise in the oven at 350 until the tendon's give up (can be a few hours). I strain all the large onions and celery out but keep the stock. Dice up some carrots, onions, celery, shred the meat and throw it back into the pot. I boil egg noodles separate and only combine in the bowl so the noodles don't get soft for leftovers. May be my favorite wild game dish, the stock is amazing. If you're not an egg noodles fan it's also good if you just use diced potatoes instead.

Highly prefer the legs over the breast, other than deep frying I still haven't found a way I really like the breasts. It's always the last thing in my freezer to get rid of.

28-Apr-23
Hey Lewis, glad to hear that you had success with the gumbo! As for the turkey leg and thigh soup, have you considered trying a classic turkey noodle soup recipe? It's a great way to use up leftover meat and vegetables, and you can always add some of your favorite herbs and spices to give it a unique flavor. If you're looking for something more adventurous, you could try incorporating some wild sorrel into the soup for a tangy twist. Check out this website for some ideas on how to identify and use wild sorrel in your cooking: https://www.wildfoodie.co.uk/post/wild-sorrel-identification-uses-recipes . Let me know if you end up trying any of these suggestions!

28-Apr-23
Cory, that looks yummy! When I pop that fat Jake on my property come May,I am going to use your recipe.

28-Apr-23
Take the breast butterfly & pound to an even thickness. Stuff with sautéed onions, mushrooms & Swiss cheese, fold over & wrap with bacon and cook in smoker. I guarantee the breast will not be the last thing left in the freezer ever again.

10-May-23
Great ideas from everyone another favorite for the breast is using a good chicken piccata recipe tenderize the breast and it is delicious ?? Thanks again for all input Lewis

• Sitka Gear