midwest's embedded Photo

18-Apr-23
next week. my best guess

18-Apr-23
It's tomorrow!

18-Apr-23
I'm thinking tomorrow.

18-Apr-23
IF history means anything it'll be tomorrow morning.

18-Apr-23

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
For those like me, who don't handle disappointment well...

18-Apr-23
This is a year I really can’t draw anything because of some time issues. I’ll probably draw 5 tags . . .

18-Apr-23
Tomorrow at 6am

18-Apr-23
Well I just spoke with them and they apparently had a meeting this morning and were told they are running audits on the draw and results would be the 26th. I doubt it takes that long but we'll see.

19-Apr-23
The last thing we need to do is bother NMDGF by calling and asking "are we there yet" when the published date is still a week away. Yes, they have historically been early, but pestering them isn't going to do anything except frustrate their staff.

19-Apr-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Wouldn't worry about it smarba they give as good as they get. Stocking reports, that wood duck update on their Facebook that came out today of all days, and best of all some of their responses to comments.

20-Apr-23
Results are out, all RED for me, good luck to all!!!

20-Apr-23
You have GOTTA be :&(!&/ kidding me!!!!! ;)

I drew Valle Vidal muzzleloader 1st season . . .

20-Apr-23
The ONE year I need to stay home . . .

20-Apr-23
"The ONE year I need to stay home . . ."

Dang, that's a tough break, Blane!

No Love for us, from NM this Year... :^(

20-Apr-23
It’s a no for me dawg.

20-Apr-23

20-Apr-23

Damn Bake what a hunt. No ValleVidal for me but all be chasing deer with a muzzleloader in the Gila this October!

20-Apr-23
Notta.

20-Apr-23
All red again :-(

20-Apr-23
The only tag I have ever drawn in NM was for a damn javelina. Red again

20-Apr-23
All red again this year!

20-Apr-23
I didn’t draw. But luckily have a landowner tag.

20-Apr-23
Smarba you do your thing and I'll do mine. They pay people to sit around and talk to me.

20-Apr-23
NADA. All I see is red. 17 years and still waiting.

20-Apr-23
I didn’t draw. But luckily have a landowner tag.

20-Apr-23
The New Mexico draw has never been kind to me…

20-Apr-23
Struck out on all my archery choices, but pulled a 3rd choice muzzleloader deer in the Pecos Sept 27-Oct 3. First random tag of any kind out West in 12 years. At least it's sumthin.

20-Apr-23
Seeing red this morning! Oh well, there’s always WY!

20-Apr-23
Seeing red this morning! Oh well, there’s always WY!

20-Apr-23
Red for me also!

20-Apr-23
Me and a buddy drew archery 23. I've never won a damn cooler, t-shirt, sticker in a raffel.

But today I cashed in.

20-Apr-23
Zip for me! Make it work and kill a big one, Bake! Pete

20-Apr-23
Red for me too

20-Apr-23
Negative

20-Apr-23
I got lucky and drew Unit 17 Muzzy Oct. 21-25! Super excited! Anyone have any advise/tips they are willing to share. I am going to start scouring maps now. Let me know if anyone has any experience in the unit and/or places to look at. PM me with any info. Thank you in advance!

Hyde

20-Apr-23

LWood's embedded Photo
LWood's embedded Photo

20-Apr-23
Lenny for the win!!!

20-Apr-23
Oh my God Lenny...NM bighorn sheep...CONGRATS!!! Can't wait to read that hunt recap!!!

20-Apr-23
Way to go Lenny. That is unreal.

20-Apr-23
Congrats Lenny, busy season on the way

20-Apr-23
congrats lenny!!! you dog!!! i drew elk34 deer 36 ibex january bow season .

20-Apr-23
Lenny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know what other lotteries you're in so I know to withdraw because you've been winning everything!!! Congrats man!!!!!

20-Apr-23
All red for me

20-Apr-23
Congrats, Lenny!! You are on a roll lately!

20-Apr-23
"I drew Valle Vidal muzzleloader 1st season . . ."

God is shaming you for putting in for a non-archery hunt. You should know better.....

20-Apr-23
Congrats Lenny

20-Apr-23
Razza and Rehor have been in negotiations all day with Lenny and have secured the contract to be his guide. We will be hiring six spotters to help in our conquest. Applications will be reviewed via PM’s. Thx for your attention to this matter. Ha Ha!!

20-Apr-23
Razza and Rehor are sheep guides? I had you two pegged for spotters and pack mules!

20-Apr-23
Anyone know anything about archery elk on the Valles Caldera?

20-Apr-23
I’ll take that primo antelope hunt off your hands, so it doesn’t cause you any scheduling conflicts…for the right price, Lenny! ;-)

Congrats on the awesome NM tag, buddy!!

20-Apr-23
Chad, Did you draw the Caldera? I've been there a number of times.

20-Apr-23
Thanks guys. My cheeks hurt from smiling.

20-Apr-23
Lenny! Spectacular! Congratulations on an awesome tag!!!

20-Apr-23
Had to call to congratulate him! Wow, talk about an awesome year of hunting coming up!

When it rains…

So awesome!

20-Apr-23
Congratulations Lenny! I had a friend with that tag a few years back. He harvested a big one! Good Hunting! All I got was a stinky Aoudad tag...

John

20-Apr-23
I have been on a few sheep hunts and have been known to spot a few

20-Apr-23
Sent you PM Jim. Yes, I drew it. Haven’t put in there for a few years and decided to give it a whirl again. I figured I needed a hunt to match the Valle Vidal when I was there a few years ago.

21-Apr-23
Unreal the tags you guys have drawn!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

21-Apr-23
yes it is a great feeling to have overcome the odds and draw a special tag-i myself have drawn a 16A archery tag for time zone sept. 15-24 -as a non resident i know this is defying the odds-now my dilemma is do i need to hire a guide and who --any advice anyone has is appreciated thanks

21-Apr-23
^^ Does anyone else think that this post sounds a little strange?

21-Apr-23
^^^ probably normal for a guy from Wizz-kan-sen.

22-Apr-23
Congrats on the tag jconman!

22-Apr-23
No bueno for me. Pretty normal lately for this Wizz-kan-sen guy...

Congrats to all those who drew tags!

22-Apr-23
No love for this guy either. I was aiming for the cheap seats, as I already have an elk tag in hand. (But if I drew NM, I would "deal" with it!)

22-Apr-23
Now waiting for the posts that say, “Hey I drew a tag in *** unit. Never been there and not looking for honey-holes, just a starting point”.

In case anyone is thinking of that to start, why not say “I’m from ****, and this is what I can offer in return. I understand the time, boot leather, cost of gas, etc and would love to help out if I can return the favor. Just send me a PM so not everyone and their dog can read it and ruin your “starting point”. “

If that is the case, I’d love to help!

23-Apr-23
I know those requests kind of rub me wrong at times too but in this day and age of draw odds that are often less than 1% I don't really blame a guy for not investing a ton of time into research prior to applying for a tag. That being said, I doubt that I would ever ask for a starting point. I would more likely just ask for any general information on the unit. I usually prefer to do my own research and develop a plan on where to start based on review of the terrain and where I believe elk will be. I usually prefer to figure it out myself because if I go where somebody else suggests I might not find areas than are even better. Obviously though, I always take into consideration and am appreciative of any information that is shared with me.

I have at times also share information on one unit/state in exchange for other information, sharing points, etc.

23-Apr-23
I drew a NM elk tag in 2009 and Big Dan offered up every spot he could to me from his hunt 3 years earlier. Eight years later I shared my experience with another Bowsiter who drew. Something special about that guy sharing his intell. The key was we all knew each other from 100’s of Bowsite posts.

24-Apr-23
I’ve hunted NM elk in unit 52, 15 twice and 17 once. I’m not saying that I know the units better than a local would.

But I have run into DIY hunters and guides in every “ secret” spot I hunted.

In other words there are no secret spots left.

So as I was given good intel from previous tag holders. When asked, I pass my “secret” spots on. Knowing that the draw odds have become ridiculous. And they were never my spots to begin with.

24-Apr-23
I told a co-worker the other day for a place to start on opening day in 6A that his wife drew an Oct rifle tag for.

As far as I'm concerned, 6A is another Valle Vidal for me as I doubt I will ever draw it again...

24-Apr-23
Has anyone seen an unsuccessful application refund posted to their credit card yet?

Usually they are the next day after the unsuccessful postings.

24-Apr-23
I agree with Mike, with low draw odds I do not expect hours of research prior to applying. I would share all intel I learned with anyone who put in the time and contacted me and seemed like they were trying.

24-Apr-23
I went on an elk hunt in 2011 in the Crazies in Montana. I was a novice but knew a Bowsiter who elk hunted. We planned to hunt Wyoming but didn’t draw so Montana was our backup. He did a lot of phone calls to biologists and poured over google earth maps. When we got there we met some locals at the trailhead and they were curious how 2 PA boys found that spot. They could not believe we found it on our own. They were sure somebody tipped us off about it. They were nice and we kept running into them that week and they actually invited us over to their camp one evening but kept asking us how we REALLY found that place. It was kind of funny. They just could not believe we didn’t have help! : )

24-Apr-23
Providing help these days is becoming easier to do, and much more important given the scarcity of tags. When even WY general tags are every 4-5 years, it becomes a lot easier to share and help others :)

For tags that are much harder to draw, like any AZ, UT, NV, NM tags, etc., I can't believe why anyone would NOT share information. It's not like there's any guarantee that a person can EVER draw that tag again.

I've been the fortunate recipient of a LOT of bowsiter help with tags over the years, and it has been invaluable. I can only hope people continue to share information in a private setting that will allow other people to have enjoyable, safe and hopefully successful hunts.

24-Apr-23
"Has anyone seen an unsuccessful application refund posted to their credit card yet?"

Quinn - they are starting to show up on my cc.

24-Apr-23
Our antelope refunds hit my card today, haven't seen elk refunds yet

24-Apr-23
Bake, Been on Bowsite since 1996. Two years ago got a real kick out of helping a guy from Idaho who reached out for my advice on his Nevada 111-114 elk hunt. He was lucky to listen to a guy despite I’m in Indiana, lol. Scored a 399” P&Y in exact spot I advised. Even told him don’t stick a 350” or 360”. He listened. He called afterwards wanting to thank me, and I said no worry someone will repay me somewhere else. Karma last year a virus ruined my body before my 26 year waited CO tag, but a local saved me with a spot I could access despite my weakness. Salvaged my hunt. And learned a lesson to get my senior flu shot in August going forward. Never again in Oct/Nov.

24-Apr-23
Exactly Zim. Exactly. I haven’t been able to pay it forward yet. But someday I hope I can ;)

24-Apr-23
Congrats Lenny!

25-Apr-23
I've got my oryx, antelope, and elk refund back so far.

25-Apr-23
I now have Oryx, Elk and Barbary refunds. Everything I applied for.

26-Apr-23
I was still waiting on barbary and bighorn. As of this morning all refunds have been returned.

26-Apr-23
Kinda weird that everyone is reporting refunds received, since I've gotten none back yet. I keep re-checking my draw results, hoping somehow all the red has gone away...lol.

26-Apr-23
Congrats Lenny!!!

26-Apr-23
sticksender - depends on the cc company and how the process returns/credits.

27-Apr-23
My refund hit my card on the 25th.

• Sitka Gear