Knight Archer 08-May-23
Lawdog 16-Jun-23
Lawdog 16-Jun-23
Buck Watcher 16-Jun-23
03-May-23

badbull's embedded Photo
badbull's embedded Photo

badbull's Link
I need a good recipe for cooking an old tom. As I have agreed to cook a turkey for a non-hunting person (my son's girlfriend) that has never eaten wild game, I need some help. All of the turkeys that I have cooked have been pretty tough and sometimes gamey (ok for me but probably not for others). Thanks for any ideas especially to make the meat tender, Badbull.

03-May-23
Chicken fry her up some turkey nuggets. Grill a deer/elk/antelope backstrap to medium rare to go with it.

03-May-23

JohnMC's Link
Also we do something similar to this. Shredded Turkey (sometimes chicken) in crock pot. You can season to your preference. A lot we will eat as tacos on corn tortillas.

A variation my wife does sometimes is just the meat and jar of salsa. It turns out good as well.

03-May-23

JohnMC's Link
Similar to this.

03-May-23
JohnMC, Sounds good. I may be able to involve her in the cooking and I do have some frozen backstrapes. Thanks so much, Badbull.

03-May-23
Cube the breast into 1 inch squares and fry them.

Chislic.

Pressure cook the legs and make Turkey and Dumplins.

03-May-23
Like Catscracth said. Treat breast different than legs and thighs. Slice breasts into cutlets, or cube into chunks, legs and thighs into crockpot or into soup pot.

03-May-23
Turkey leg and thigh soup with homemade egg noodles. Boiled the meat about 6 hrs and it was tender.

03-May-23
I call this turkey parmesan.....

Grind up a turkey breast. Make the ground meat into patties. Dip in an egg bath, and then cover both sides in bread crumbs. Brown both sides over medium high heat. Prepare some angel hair pasta and place in a casserole dish. Cover the pasta with spaghetti sauce. Cover the pasta and sauce with parmesan cheese. Place the browned, ground turkey patties on top of the pasta. Cover with more spaghetti sauce, strips of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees. You'll never have to worry about it being tender, since it is ground meat......I prefer to keep my patties on the thin side....

03-May-23

Lawdog's Link
I always wanted to try this one from Meateater and will shortly, Turkey Schnitzel

03-May-23
Thin slice across the grain. Salt pepper garlic onion powders. Dredge in egg. Toss in flour and breadcrumbs. Throw in smoking hot oil. Spritz with lime. It will make a tadpole slap a whale.

03-May-23
i like Meateater but the fact that you are required to sign up to see all that dish makes me wonder. Heck with that.

03-May-23
Google chic fil a nugget recipe. It’s good stuff. Be sure to marinate overnight.

04-May-23
Thanks to all of you for such good information from those here that have hands-on experience. They all sound great that others will appreciate as I do, Badbull.

04-May-23
That bird looks a little stiff to cook. You better use a tenderizer first.

04-May-23
A good recipe for using legs and thighs is enchiladas. You have to slow cook or pressure cook them to get them good and tender. Once tender, the flat bones will easily pull from the drumsticks . Cut and shred the meat and use it in your desired enchilada recipe.

04-May-23
Make chicken piccata out of the breast. Google the recipe. It's easy and yummy.

04-May-23
Best bet for older birds is fillet the breast, scrap the rest. Slice cross grain 1/2" thick, pound with meat mallet, bread with seasoned flour, fry in hot (near smoke point) peanut oil 3 minutes to each side

04-May-23
Another thing my dad has done is turkey leg jerky. Each one of those long old tough tendons is attached to it's own muscle. He simple separates them all out and makes jerky. The tendon becomes a handle. Really good with a sweet heat type of mix!

04-May-23
Grind the white meat into burgers, add tiny soy sauce, little poupon, pan fry. Crock pot the legs with peppers, onion, prunes, chicken broth. Adlib as desired. We are talking hours.

04-May-23
Did this for the first time for this past Xmas dinner and it without a doubt was the best turkey of any kind I've ever eaten in my life.

I butterflied the breasts, then pounded them to an even thickness, about a 1/2" Sautéed onions & mushrooms in butter with g, s, p, then put this on breasts with several slices Swiss cheese then folded over and wrapped with bacon and cooked in the smoker.

Any cheese would do I just happened to have Swiss and it was fantastic.

04-May-23
That's a new one to me Timex. Going to have to try it!

04-May-23
Altitude, Ha Ha lol, l think that he will be ok cause I am letting him age for a week before I handle and cook him. Badbull

04-May-23
I second the Chick Fil A nugget recipe. Very easy and simply amazing taste. You can buy CFA sauce for dipping or I make my own mixing mayo, honey mustard and hot sauce. Good luck!

06-May-23

Bowdeer's Link
This...instead of water use chicken broth.

https://www.drczys.com/legsandthighs/

06-May-23
If you smoke or fry it cook it less than you think you should. Most tough turkey tits have been over cooked.

06-May-23

Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Just tried Michael Waddell’s turkey nugget recipe only used Progresso breading instead of seasoned flour. Cubed the breast into 1” cubes. Soaked in buttermilk for a day or 2. Breaded with Progresso & into a hot oil (350*) bath until golden brown. The best wild Turkey I’ve ever had hands down. Add some Chic-fil-a sauce for dippin… OUTSTANDING!

08-May-23
I've found that brining the meat prior to cooking is the key for wild turkey, especially for those who aren't used to eating a wild bird. Brine it, pick your recipe of choice, and enjoy!

08-May-23
You need good recipes, and a better taxidermist.

16-Jun-23
Timex, I tried your recipe last weekend. I liked it, but have a cautionary note. I did tweat the recipe a bit. I brined the breast overnight using kosher salt, white sugar, and italian seasoning. I added garlic and red peppers and used an italian cheese blend. I smoked the breast until the recommended 165 degrees. That was way too high and the result was little dry. I then read that in breast meat you only need to get to 157 degrees. I think it would have been even better had I stopped there. Does anyone go lower?

16-Jun-23

Lawdog's embedded Photo
Lawdog's embedded Photo
Lawdog's embedded Photo
Lawdog's embedded Photo
Forgot the pictures.

16-Jun-23
Two of my favorite eats:

Wild Turkey Leg Soup

- Simmer a turkey leg until the meat falls off. Jake 45-60 minutes. Old Tom 6-12 hours. - Remove meat. I pour through a wire strainer to make sure all "bone bits" are out. - Add onions/carrots/celery (bite size pieces), bay leaf and S&P. simmer until veggies are done.

You can I your favorite poultry seasoning, I don't. _________

Adapted from a Larry Smith Outdoors recipe.

- 1# ground wild turkey breast. - 1/4# ground pork. Who has or can get 1/4# of ground pork? BACON is pork, that is what I use. - 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion. - 1/4 cup finely chopped sweep pepper. - S&P - mix together and make patties and grill.

- You could use your favorite poultry seasoning. I did once.

Original recipes call for sauteing onions/peppers first (I don't), cheddar cheese on a kaiser roll. Also calls for mayo. No mayo on any burger for me. Any cheese and your favorite buns works.

• Sitka Gear