WYOelker's embedded Photo
He even gets lucky fishing…
He even gets lucky fishing…
He was pretty happy with his new bow…
He was pretty happy with his new bow…
Well when the draw results for WY dropped, my 13 year old son managed a Ewe tag in an area we love… How he gets so lucky? not sure. Earlier this year he picked up a brand new bow from Dan Pickar at the BOW banquet in Riverton.

Well we tried hard and at its lowest setting he just could not pull it consistently. So the awesome owner at Absolute Archery called his Bear Bows Rep explained the situation and that the 70lbs limbed were just a touch too much and the Bear Bows Rep agreed to send a 60 pound set for free. Since the rep gave the limbs for free the owner at Absolute did the labor and swapped the limbed for free…

He has shot the new bow for about 3 weeks nonstop, he shot so much that he developed a blister on his bow hand and has to shoot with mule skin can’t get him to slow down. With the new tag he is hell bent on taking a sheep with a bow…

Last week we had the 4H 3D shoot. Max score was 300 he shot a 286.

With that being said, any tips of hints on EWe hunts with a bow. How can you assure that a ewe is a ewe?

Anyone have luck with a blind at a water hole? The area we are on has a creek in the bottom but there are 3 seeps in an old burn that the sheep often drink from. We have one that has a perfect natural ambush location.

When you bump sheep will they move far? This areas is one specific canyon with lots of sheep. How tolerant are sheep to being bumped. If we are on a water hole and spook them will they come back in a day or 2 or are they done for weeks?

08-May-23
I've bump sheep and seen them go a looong ways. Where I hunted they might be in area today somewhere else tomorrow. Learning to tell a ewe from young ram is easy just spend sometime around them and look at lots of pictures. Even young rams have a very visible ball sack. I'd post what unit you are hunting and ask around. Best advice you can probably get is from others that have hunted the unit.

08-May-23
Congrats to your son on the tag!! Since he is shooting lower poundage, remember that sheep are soft in the middle--but avoid the shoulder. Look for slight quartering away or broadside and he will do well.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

08-May-23
Can’t offer much help but I sure am excited for you both. Makin memories. Keep us updated.

08-May-23
I wouldn't bother sitting on water but definitely glass the areas that have the seeps. I would spot and stalk. If the area has a lot of sheep concentrated in near drainage you could easily get a couple stalks a day. My experience hunting ewes is that they aren't particularly that spooky.

Good luck and keep us posted on his adventure!

08-May-23
I would recommend spot & stalking. Just remember keep head down below any horizon they have very good eyes.

08-May-23
Easy to tell a ewe once you are looking.

If you have a slam dunk ambush spot by all means use it.

That said sheep can be spooky or not. Test it out preseason and see what they do? Coming from above is usually better

08-May-23
"How can you assure that a ewe is a ewe?"

It's all proven by the nuts.

With practice you can tell the difference in the horns, but the nuts are obvious.

09-May-23
Might mean more to him and be a greater adventure if you tried to spot and stalk. He can sit for whitetails or bears or a bunch of other animals but really the most exciting way to hunt a sheep. Am sure it will be fun no matter what you decide. Good luck and have fun.

09-May-23
Thanks for all the replies. I doubt we will be sitting much just wanted to know if it was viable option. I got the nuts are easy to tell, but was worried about a broad side shot etc.

We have been in the area, and always see sheep at the creek. In years past a person could easily shoot one from the truck opening morning of rifle. But we have already decided we want to back pack up the mountain, and due as much a back pack style hunt even if the the hike in is only like 1.5 miles…

We will be making our first scouting trip soon. We will mess around with some practice stalks and see how they react…

09-May-23
Thanks for all the replies. I doubt we will be sitting much just wanted to know if it was viable option. I got the nuts are easy to tell, but was worried about a broad side shot etc.

We have been in the area, and always see sheep at the creek. In years past a person could easily shoot one from the truck opening morning of rifle. But we have already decided we want to back pack up the mountain, and due as much a back pack style hunt even if the the hike in is only like 1.5 miles…

We will be making our first scouting trip soon. We will mess around with some practice stalks and see how they react…

09-May-23
Good for your Son!-------->

Keep us posted.

Good luck, Robb

09-May-23
Looks like it’s shaping up to be a great year. Sure a good start at the convention. Lots of my friends in the 80s and 90s started with ewe tags and that was the beginning of their sheep Hunting. I never did it but they shot ewes until they drew ram tags. Also a cool looking mount. Looking forward to the story.

• Sitka Gear