Groundhunter 14-May-23
BlacktailBob 14-May-23
Groundhunter 14-May-23
Whocares 14-May-23
Pete In Fairbanks 15-May-23
nmwapiti 15-May-23
BlacktailBob 16-May-23
12-May-23
Spinning off the Cam Hanes thread... I just happened to come across this Roy Roth video last night and thought it was outstanding. Great footage and some butt puckering brown bear stalks and bow kills. Wow!

12-May-23
That will sure get your heart pumping.

12-May-23
Thanks for posting that. Roy was truly a beast !

12-May-23
Very cool!!! High pucker factor.

12-May-23
I remember watching that video several years ago. Was just as fun to watch again today!

12-May-23
I was surprised how quickly the bears went down with frontal shots. Roy obviously had a very good understanding of anatomy.

13-May-23
How heavy is the hide they pack out. How do they get all that meat out and what do they do with it?

13-May-23
Hides are heavy, 100lbs plus. For a truly big bear may need to cut it in half...

No need to take any meat. Do not need to salvage brown bear meat in AK. full of parasites and could be nasty

13-May-23
Thanks I did not know that. I thought all meat had to be taken. Sure would feed alot of dogs

14-May-23
The no salvage law sure worked out for Roy. The rifle hunter created a bait station that the biggest, baddest bear in the valley was parked on.

14-May-23
Does anyone know what his set up was? Poundage and broadhead?

14-May-23
Pretty sure Roy used a 70 pound bow and a Montec broadhead on that bear. I killed a brown bear that the hide weighed in at 150 pounds in a rubbermaid trash can for shipment from Kodiak to Anchorage. Was not as big as the bear Roy killed on that hunt.

14-May-23
Ok Thanks. Next year I am going to Alaska. Won't be hunting brown bears, but seeing one will be cool.

14-May-23
Wow! Great video! Thinking back to my week on Kodiak and all the bears. Don't know about the archery deal for them!!

15-May-23
Groundhunter: The first brown bear hide I packed as an Assistant Guide (MANY years ago...) had the head/skull and all 4 feet still unskinned. It weighed 157 pounds on a certified scale when we got back to "camp" (a cannery on the W side of Kodiak Island.) Now, years (and several hernia operations) later, I don't do that shit any more! I always take the time to skin and at least rough flesh the hide before packing it.

Pete

15-May-23
That was great. Roy wasn't afraid of angling in shot angles on bears.

16-May-23
Roy wasn't afraid of much. Forgot, that 150 pounds included the skull in there too.

• Sitka Gear