gil_wy 14-Aug-23
Sam 22-Sep-23
Devilfan 23-Sep-23
DanaC 23-Sep-23
Tracker 23-Sep-23
Sam 23-Sep-23
DanaC 23-Sep-23
12-May-23
Need some new boots for a Wyoming elk hunt this September. The boots I have are too heavy and stiff, I feel like they don’t have much flex and make me feel a bit clumsy in them. Suggestions? Thanks!

12-May-23
Lowa Renegades. My goto.

12-May-23
I wore Lowa Renegades for several years. I was on my second pair when the seam split in two places the first season I used them. I’d heard good things about Crispi, so I tried a pair of the Nevada’s. Most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn. That said, everybody’s feet are different, so I’d highly recommend trying on different makes and models of boots until you find the best pair for you.

12-May-23
I've been a big fan of elk hunting in Lowa Renegades for years. If the terrain is pretty steep, or when hauling meat...I'll wear my Lowa Caminos instead.

12-May-23
Crispi Idaho GTX!

12-May-23
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121863?page=kangaroo-upland-hunters-boot-mens&bc=&feat=kangaroo%20boots-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=kangaroo%20boots&pos=2

12-May-23
I've been using Danner Powderhorns. Good ankle and load support. Break them in well.

12-May-23
I like Oboze Bridger, some people don't like them but I love mine. Light weight waterproof about $180

12-May-23
Well, I'm not a light weight boot supporter, I want a boot with beef to it especially in tough country! With that said I'd seriously consider Crispi Patagonia's as a great boot! This is the boot Ryan Lampers uses & highly recommends, that right there would be enough for myself if in the market for such a boot!

ElkNut

12-May-23
In all honesty even though these types of threads are fun, I'd never buy a boot, pack, optics or some other things based on somebody else's opinion.

13-May-23
I do 90% of my hunting in hiking shoes. Very light, comfy and not pricey. Something that is just barely above a sneaker. Up to your ankle.

13-May-23
I've never been elk hunting so I'm not familiar with what would be desirable for a boot in that terrain. I do a lot of deer hunting though. I usually wear rubber boots because of the wet terrain I hunt in. But, my brother bought a pair of Keen boots that are lightweight and he has been well pleased with them. I bought a pair of Keen workbooks, I think they make a great boot...but as mentioned above, it's definitely gonna be a personal thing but unfortunately it's not always possible to try them out before you buy.

13-May-23
Jasper, look at the Crispi line up. There’s lots to choose from in a lightweight boot as well as some stiff boots. Zamberlain are good too. Crispis have a tighter fit and smaller toe box. Zamberlain are generally a little wider with a bigger toe box. You gotta go try some on and find something you like.

13-May-23
DonV, that is pretty much what the Lowa Renegade is. And they are pretty waterproof.

13-May-23
I have been able to find Crispi's in wide size as well as Zamberlan. Don't overlook the Kenetrek Corrie II. It is nowhere near as heavy or stiff as normal Kenetreks, and still a high quality boot. Bill

13-May-23
Salomon Cross Hike 2 are lightweight but have tough soles. They do run narrow so I bought wide. I did change the shoe laces out. That’s what I’ll be wearing this September in the mountains.

13-May-23
In my 20's, I elk hunted quite a bit in sneakers spray painted green.

Usually wear Keens Pittsburgs now.

13-May-23
I wore Crispi Valdres on a high country deer hunt in Colorado at elevations up to 12,600’ for 5 days. According to all the hype you read without a stiff boot many would say I was gonna be flighted off the mountain or so miserable with blisters I couldn’t walk, I love a lighter softer boot for mobility and stalking, I run lathrop and sons footbeds and never have hotspots paired with a good sock, but I live in a heavy all leather work boot for my work so I may have tougher feet then some.

13-May-23
I have some Hoka hiking boots I really like. They are light and super comfy but I have to be skeptical of how they’d feel packing out a truly heavy load.

13-May-23
Crispis fit my feet great, and the Thor is my go-to elk boot in rough terrain. For more gentle stuff and normal mountain hiking, I like the Salomon GTX a lot, but they aren't nearly as durable, understandably.

There are so many good boots now, there's no reason to wear crappy, ill-fitting boots. Not like back in the day when we painted our high top tennis shoes and sprayed them with silicone for "waterproofing". (-:

13-May-23

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I have my crispi's for moving camp and packing meat but for the hunt I love my Solomons.

13-May-23
Salomon fan here. As others said if your foot isn’t narrow get the wide. I’m on my 3rd pair of quest gtx. They get worn probably 360 days a year. I can’t get a pair to last more than a year but they fit me like a glove. The kelp color can be had for $170. Beats the heck out of spending $300-$400 on a pair of some of the higher end stuff.

13-May-23
Thanks so much guys! I’ll let you know what I go with. God bless!

13-May-23
Crispi Laponia

13-May-23
Lowa Renegades. I have a pair of Crispi's, amazing out of the box but I don't have many miles on them yet.

13-May-23
"In all honesty even though these types of threads are fun, I'd never buy a boot, pack, optics or some other things based on somebody else's opinion."

Yes, but these threads give us a place to start.

13-May-23
I quit using super lightweight boots for the most part. Having said that, I use boots that will handle just about anything, but are light. My present favorites are Kennetrek Mountain Extremes. It’s my safety and well being that are depending on high quality footwear.

13-May-23
I have 3 pair of Oboz, oldest 6 yrs old and still waterproof even though I wear them alot. Love these boots, great if you are tired of paying big bucks for boots that are only waterproof for 1 year.

13-May-23
I like small lightweight boots. For the past few years I’ve been wearing Crispi Monacos almost every day. I have 3 pairs and have put a lot of miles in all of them. From city to prairie to mountains, Africa, etc. they are my go to boot for everything.

13-May-23
I love the crispi summit boot in a wide. Crispis run a little narrow. Super comfortable for hunting in Virginia hills.

13-May-23
Crispi

13-May-23
Crispi

13-May-23
Soloman

13-May-23
Since my valdres gave up I’ve been on the Monaco’s as well Bake, I’d say more of a shoe then boot but literally no break in and can do it all cheap too since it don’t fit the Crispi hunting lineup per say they call it a lifestyle shoe or some BS but great for 90% of what I do in the woods or weekend work

14-May-23
Huge fan of the TOPO Trail Venture 2 WP for the lightest 'boot' you can get. Normal heel/arch setup with a wide toe area. 15.9 oz for a Mens 9 size

Not a boot per se, but virtually perfect for every thing I do from Aug to Jan when elk hunting. I've packed out a number of elk with them in all the seasons. I have two sizes. 9.5 for fall work and 10's for winter with two pairs of wool socks for winter.

For ultralight comfort and if you've trained your feet for it, an all season shoe to make your life easier all the way around.

Cheers, Pete

14-May-23
check out meindl. i personally do not like light-weight ankle high boots but i do like the taller stiff meindl boots. they have some light-weight hiking boots.

meindlusa.com

14-May-23
Crispi Lapponia!

14-May-23
Crispi

14-May-23
Crispi

14-May-23
Crispi Monaco for me

14-May-23
Don’t overlook Schnee’s hunting boots. I’m a big Lowa and Hanwag fan but Schnee’s also has an excellent line up. For hunting in arid country with little chance of rain, I’m really liking the leather lined Goretex free Schnee’s Beartooth Classic. Leather lined boots breath and keep your feet cool and comfortable way better than any boot with a waterproof lining.

If rain is forecasted or there’s wet grass I’ll go to Lowa Renegades for easy to moderate terrain and Schnee’s Granite for steep, rugged country or packing meat.

14-May-23
My last 5 pair of boots are Crispis. Each model has a different weight and use. My preference for Crispis lighter version is the Thors. They offer me enough support that I've used them on several Alaska and Colorado sheep and mtn goat hunts. I don't like taller boots and prefer lighter boots for covering lots of country. I hike hills all day at work and have pretty strong ankles. I would highly recommend Thors! Some have mentioned Crispi Monocos. I have a pair of Monocos. They are comfortable but they are a pain in the rear for cheatgrass and other stuff getting inside since they are a low cut boot. They also don't have any ankle support for steep side-hilling. I know guys that have also had good luck with Crispi Valdres (a little narrower fit) and Crispi Lapponas that are pretty darn light.

I always buy the wider size so there is a little more room for toes. I also buy mine around 1 size bigger than normal so I can add super padded insoles. The added room is also nice when I want to wear a little heavier sock for padding and/or warm.

14-May-23
Crispi Thors.

14-May-23
Another vote for Crispi Thors. I'm also on my second pair of Lowa Renegades and they're a good lightweight boot but they don't have near the support that the Thors have and the Thors might actually be lighter.

14-May-23

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Thors on the left, Renegades on the right.

15-May-23
Hanwag Alverstone.

Had a pair of Crispi Thor. Was so uncomfortable it has totally thrown me off the scent for Crispi. That, along with the fact that Crispi is the go-to boot for the all the social media hunters who got them for free.

15-May-23
Well, boot fit is very different from person to person. I had a pair of Crispi Colorado's and hated them. So far, I love the Thors. A lot of people like and recommend Solomon's but they don't fit my feet.

15-May-23
agree on boot fit being different between people and the solomon's. thought i'd try them based on so many good reviews and suggestions. hated them and sent them back.

15-May-23
Double post

15-May-23
I’ll agree with Cheesehead as well. I have the Colorado’s and don’t like them that much. But I have the Briksdal uninsulated and they are really nice and fit great. I’m looking at the new Briksdal that are the hybrid in the next few weeks. Hoping they are even better than the leather version.

16-May-23
LEMS Boulder boots

minimalist shoes, I love 'em

16-May-23
Crispi Crossover Pro Light GTX. Another Bowsiter posted a thread awhile back about these boots being on sale, cheap! Normally run about $240, I bought a pair for $65. So far, I’m loving them, other than the lacing system, which isn’t a major issue.

17-May-23
Hard to beat Keen Targhee lll for light weight and overall comfort, however they’re not going to be as durable as say a Crispi Thor. Still great for scouting, early season or as a backup boot.

For durability, water proof, and comfort I hunt with Zamberlan Vioz GTX’s and Crispi Idaho’s once the pack out starts or the terrain dictates more ankle support.

17-May-23
"Hard to beat Keen Targhee lll...however they’re not going to be as durable..."

Keens are a good boot in their price range and 'light use' class. I've seen worse, durability-wise.

17-May-23
Crispi is hard to beat, but tough if you are on a lower budget. The new Ultra Light Mendl from Cabelas is a great boot, no break in needed and no breaking the bank.

17-May-23
Ive worn Salomon 4d GTX for many years and had good luck, until I didn't. Wore them on a TAC shoot this spring and actually lost a toenail. Maybe my feet have grown. That said, 4 seasons on that pair and not even a single blister. I ran keen's prior to that and they were good for 2 seasons. The third was terrible. Never had my feet in worse shape than then. My brother wears the Salomon speedcross a lot if the terrain isn't wet and likes hunting in light runners. I haven't been able to go there. I am in the market for new this year and As I like to tinker, now looking at other brands, but a lot of options and suffering from analysis paralysis at this point. Need to pull the trigger as I need to get them (and my feet) broken in.

17-May-23
Crispi's were the most popular in WY elk camp last year. Prior to going out there to hunt, I thought they were likely a little stiffer than I'd like but they sure did give me support and protection when traversing after the elk. I think mine were Summit GTX. I would recommend for sure!

17-May-23
Crispi. Their 2023 line looks good.

17-May-23
This thread got me thinking that I need to get going pretty soon, so just pulled the trigger on a pair of Crispi Altitude GTX's to try out. We will see if those fill the bill. Should have them in and broken in by TAC in the Black Hills in July, although will likely wear my Oboz Firebrand low tops if it is not raining.

17-May-23
Lightweight? I like my Oboz.

17-May-23
I've tried 8 or 10 pairs of boots over the years. What's important is the fit to your feet and your feet only. Bad fitting boots will ruin a hunt on day one. For me and my feet, I love meindl . The meindl comfort light hiker is good at 2.9lbs. But the comfort fit hiker weighing in at 3.6 lbs just give's better support. I heavy boot that fits your feet good will be way better than a lighter boot that don't fit good. Leather make boots heaver, but I feel it gives an extra for water proofing and better stability. Find a boot that fits your feet good!

18-May-23
The altitudes in size 10 list as 2.9 lbs per pair, almost the same as my Salomons. The oboz were an impulse buy but very comfortable light hikers for sure.

18-May-23
Used quite a few of the better brands over the years. Had several pair of the Salomon 4d GTX and still consider them a favorite. Got Crispi Colorado last year and really like them. Also got Lowa Zephyr GTX HI TF last year and wear them every day. Very light and comfortabe. Will get another pair this summer. Like mentioned above a number of times, what feels good to you is the main thing.

18-May-23
I’m a Meindl, Keen, and Oboz guy.

18-May-23
I'm another who believes crispi boots good but not great. I have Crispi Nevadas, Danner pronghorn, and Han Wag tatra. Crispi's get least use of the three. Han Wag is the most comfortable boot I've ever used. I would also classify my boots as a more middle weight then light weight boot.

18-May-23
Just to add a little more info to this thread. My favorite heavy packing/hiking boot is the Hanwag Alaska. They're similar to Lowa Tibet (which I've had 3 pairs of) but the Hanwags fit my feet better and are slightly lighter. My go to medium duty elk hunting boot the last few years has been the Lowa Camino, I really like them. Lowa Renegades have been my light duty elk boot but they don't have much support. I just got the Crispi Thors late last fall and put a lot of miles on them deer hunting. They are lighter than the Renegades and have more support. I think they're going to be my go to elk hunting boot for everything but heavy packing. The Crispi Colorado's fit my feet well but I found the footbed too hard for me and they caused pain to the bottoms of my feet after a hard day and I could feel the start of plantar fasciitis coming on. I sold them to a friend's son and he likes them.

I replace the stock insoles in all of my boots with Lathrop High Country foot beds.

18-May-23
I have several light to moderate boots, but 80% of the time use Merrill boots. Save the others for the rough terrain.

19-May-23
Probably the most comfortable boots I own are a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots that I bought at the Cabela's Bargain cave for $100. They're tall boots and 200 gram Thinsulate so they're too warm for most elk hunting but I love them for whitetail hunting.

20-May-23
I’m with Elknut. Using those lightweight hikers for an elk hunt is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. They’re just not gonna last. Put about 100 miles on those stiff boots and they will be exactly what you need. When I first put my Kenetrek Mount in Extremes on, I felt like I strapped to cement blocks to my feet. 10 years later, I’m still running the same boots and they feel like a dream.

20-May-23
Joe, I'm with you sir, I too run the mountain extremes! They are not as heavy as many hunters think they are. Mine weigh in at 2.lbs each. Even those light weight boots will weigh 1-1/2 lbs. each. Of course I hunt steep rough terrain & these suit that country & anything else.

ElkNut

20-May-23
I’ve been using my Meindl Perfekt hikers for about 16 years now. Wish I would have bought the hunter version but I didn’t want the insulation. The hikers are only 7” high and I have to be careful to not roll an ankle. I’ll be buying a taller Meindl boot pretty soon. I have an almost OIL elk tag to get ready for.

20-May-23
My friend just got the new light hiker from Kennereck. Looks real nice.

20-May-23
My friend just got the new light hiker from Kennereck. Looks real nice.

20-May-23
I forgot to mention..the only negative with the Keens..my brother said he had the same problem, is the inside of the rivets for the shoe string grommets will rub on top of your foot for a little while..don't take long but once they break in its not a problem. They are lightweight and well made boots

30-May-23
Thanks for all the advice. I got the Salomom X Ultra 4 Wide. Breaking em in and Love em so far

30-May-23
I have a few friends that elk hunt in Salomon X ultras (mid height hiker style) which kinda boogles me. I'd rather be slightly overkill than be left wishing I had "more boot".

Anyways... the HanWag Alverstone II is next on my list to try.

31-May-23
Ive hunted in Salomons for a long time and never been left wanting....until this spring. They finally gave it up. My Crispi altitudes came in and I have 20ish miles on them so far. No issues at all except I didn't get the laces quite tight enough last night and hit the front of the boot a few times on some steep downhills. Sizing is close but it would be nice if 1/4 sizes existed...lol.

31-May-23
"Sizing is close but it would be nice if 1/4 sizes existed...lol. "

Add a liner sock.

31-May-23
Need to go the other way. They fit just slightly snug in a 10.5 but 11 would be too big. No complaints as they are pretty supportive for a lighter boot. I opt for smaller versus larger for early season as I have always been able to get away with a medium thickness merino sock with no liner. I could never stand double socks, even with a thin liner, even in scouts and the Marines. I hate base layers too unless absolutely necessary. I tend to run hot in the early season, so I keep it pretty minimalist.

31-May-23
You should have my problem with a size 11+ right foot and left foot that is slightly smaller than size 10.

01-Jun-23

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
PO Cedar's embedded Photo
I can make a couple seasons out of these...

25-Jun-23
UA HOVR Dawn are great LW Boots! https://youtu.be/tp11KpmqcRs

19-Jul-23
I've worn the Salomon Quest 4 for years and loved them. However, the last 2-3 pairs I've had haven't lasted long at all. The newest pair I've gotten is their new design and actually seems narrower than the previous pairs, rubber toe cap also coming off after first 2-3 hikes. I'll be looking for a different boot soon.

19-Jul-23
Since this thread has popped back up. Had good luck with the Crispi's at TAC at Terry Peak. Good terrain for a true test and they mostly held up. Good traction, waterproofing was good and plenty stiff in the upper. I may change out the insoles though as my heels did get a bit sore. Used a couple of different types of Merino socks, but the insoles are a little abrasive if you can call it that, and may need just a touch more padding. No blisters though and felt good all day all 3 days.

19-Jul-23
Lowa Renegade GTX. Lightweight & flexible.

19-Jul-23
Lowa renegades for me.. amazing boots

19-Jul-23

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
These Merrell’s have been great.

20-Jul-23
Merrells Sam just posted are great, I even go with something a little less (smaller height).

You would be amazed how good it works. Cheap, very light and very comfy. I often hunt in October with them. I think 90% of guys way overdue it with footwear for Sept.

It is so much easier and more comfy to cover 10 miles in hiking shoes then hunting boots.

20-Jul-23
I’m going to put this here….

I wore lightweight hikers for decades. About 10 years ago I switched over to a heavier boot with more support and dang if my feet don’t feel better at the end of the day.

Yeah, they take a little breaking in….and yes they are heavier. Personally, I like them better….The Hoffmans are my current favorite.

14-Aug-23
I ordered a pair of the Crispi Thors in EE. The sole is much narrower than the boot. I reminds me of someone walking on ice skates. Any of you Thot wearers have a problem with this?

14-Aug-23

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Picked up some Keen 'Ridge Flex' boots, much better ankle support than the Targee etc. Still shy of $200. Will probably upgrade the factory insoles.

14-Aug-23
Painless. I agree. I have those and see the same thing. I also got sheepfeet insoles for the Thors and they are MUCH narrower than my foot when I stand on them.

14-Aug-23
I am using some old Danner Pronghorns and new Keen Durand II boots this season.

14-Aug-23
Crispi Attivas this year… super comfy and decent support. I also run the Thor 2 and Crossover from Crispi. Both are great. But the Crosdover isn’t quite tall enough for any sort of weight and the Thors are a little too much boot for some of the flatter areas I hunt. They’re perfect if you’re in relatively steep stuff.

22-Sep-23

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
A little follow up on these Merrells . If you’ve seen my recent report you know I’ve recently returned from an Alaskan moose, grizzly hunt. I brought my Cabelas version Mendle’s and these Merrell hikers. The hikers absolutely smoked the Mendles’s, I soaked the Mendle’s, dried them out and soaked them again. My feet never once got wet in the Merrell hikers, in fact I was wearing them when I killed my moose.

23-Sep-23
Sam,

What model are those? I have a pair of Merrell's, too, but they are the mid height hikers. I would like to get something a little taller.

23-Sep-23
I tried Merrells when I bought the Keens pictured above, didn't like the feel/fit. (The Keens are an inch or so taller, great ankle support.)

23-Sep-23
Terrain and weather conditions Im hunting dictate what’s on my feet. But during most SEP archery hunts Im wearing a pair of ECCO waterproof golf shoes with gaiters. They are extremely comfortable, water proof and you can feel the ground feel enough to be quiet. https://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Gore-TEX-Waterproof-Titanium-12-12-5/dp/B099MMTFG9/ref=asc_df_B099MMTFG9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=591238516493&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=231653750360181437&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007682&hvtargid=pla-1648878904773&psc=1

23-Sep-23
Devilfan, Seems like they are mens moab speed hikers, Merrells site has so dang many models it’s hard to find them, I think the important part is these actually say waterproof on them.

DanaC If these were any shorter (toe box) they wouldn’t work, they actually fit best with a light sock, so I agree the sizing does lack something to be desired.

23-Sep-23
Sam, I've found that "my" size is a starting point when trying on shoes and boots. I've had to go up or down a half size depending on brand, model and especially how I plan to wear them with socks. Thin, or heavy wool? Summer or spring-and-fall?

• Sitka Gear