KY EyeBow 16-May-23
EmbryOklahoma 16-May-23
APauls 17-May-23
EmbryOklahoma 17-May-23
APauls 17-May-23
PGA Pro 18-May-23
PGA Pro 18-May-23
12-May-23
I have recently started hunting a property that is not conducive for hunting with a climber. I hang some stands every year but find I often am hunting an area from short term discoveries. I am looking for a good portable stick and stand combination that is light, quiet, and comfortable. I am not a fan of the stands that have a back rest that prevent me from leaning against the tree. I have seen some of the new carbon sticks on youtube but not in person. Cost is my least important factor. Simplicity, quietness, comfort, compactness/weight (ease of packability)...those are my deciding factors. I do have to generally walk farther than 1/2 mile. I hunt anywhere from 15 to 22' up depending on canopy and topography.

I would love to find a combination where I could easily climb one time with the sticks and stand on my back without having a bunch of rope laying around for pulling up different sticks. I want a stand that is easy to hang. Helluva wish list, I know.

12-May-23
I have mostly used lone wolf stands and sticks. Now I’ve went to xop.

12-May-23

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
I use a Hawk helium stand and sticks. I believe the sticks are on sale now on camofire. They are very light and packable. I love them both for quick sets.

12-May-23
Tree saddle and a big Bob one stick platform, made by out on a limb. About 7.5 pounds, compact, very portable, and very comfy.

If one sticking isn’t your thing, a set of Skeletor sticks from tethrd is what I’d recommend. However, I’d still plan on repelling. Da first way to descend. Fun too.

12-May-23
I love the beast sticks. With a single aider and 4 sticks I can get to 17 to 18’. I am 6’3 so have a pretty long stride when I need to use it I also have a set of the lone wolf sticks that used to have single sided steps. I changed them out to double steps and like them a lot better.

As far as stands go. I have a lone wolf alpha 11 hang on as well as the Novix helo.

Saddles are ok and I have a Tetherd Phantom.

13-May-23
You said money is no object so Tethrd is having a sale right now and you can get their gen 3 One Sticks for $400 for a set of 4.

If you don't want to go the saddle route, I'd look at the lightweight treestand options from Millennium, Novix, or XOP.

13-May-23
Also have a couple hawk helium sticks for good traction and cost. Relocated strap anchor as I thought they weren’t stable.

13-May-23
Saddle hunting. I’m all geared up to try this year. Can’t wait. Been doing a lot of practicing.

13-May-23
If you want a hang on, hands down Beast stand system or LW Custom.

Saddle hunting is effective but can cause alot of movement.

13-May-23
I have used a Lone Wolf stand and sticks for years and haven't found anything better

13-May-23

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Millennium MicroLite and XOP Sticks...Shaved another pound plus, by taking the lug system off the stand and adding Hang on Bracket and strap system...

15-May-23
Thank yall very much some good ideas. Has anyone used the Tethered Gen 3s? They seem like a solid alternative. Well thought out and light.

I really have avoided moving towards the saddle direction. Just seems like a big commitment to get it figured out and I know a number of folks that spent the energy and time and decided it was not for them. So the upside does not seem like it is worth the energy.

The stands are a tough choice. I am on the longer legged side of things and my knees are not great so I do like either a longer platform or foot rest pegs for longer sits. Not familiar with Novix or Beast so will certainly check them out.

15-May-23
I hunted mobile as you describe the last 20 years. I used a LW stand and LW sticks. It was/is a phenomenal setup. With what is on the market today you could do slightly better. I would get a stick that has steps on both sides. But if you are married to a stand, I would go with the cast platforms that LW, XOP, LWCG provide. Quietness of a cast platform is paramount especially when you set up each hunt. The stand doesn't have time to "settle" into the tree over time and become squeak free. The original LW stands have a tubular tube from the stand to the seat, the XOP are cast which is quieter. All this is amplified x10 below freezing temps. (2/3 of our season up north)

I would personally just say that the idea of having everything and ascending the tree once is way over romanticized. I typically used 3 steps. Put one on the tree, 3 short steps and put the 2nd one on, then back to the ground. Grab 3rd stick and now I am hooked up to stand and bow and stuff via rope, so I ascent with only the 3rd stick in my hand, put it on, climb higher, put the hook on the tree, then haul up stand via rope and attach.

The time difference in climbing up/down vs the time climbing once is literally like 8 seconds. The risk of having a bunch of metal to clang hanging off your belt is massive. Those 8 seconds are probably lost fiddling with attaching stuff to yourself to climb with anyways, so I highly doubt the 8 seconds are even gained in the good old end. The ability to do things one at a time QUIETLY is paramount to me, and as mentioned, there is such little time gained it isn't worth talking about. How long does it take for you to climb 5 steps up and down?

IMO these one stick methods and aiders and all this jazz is totally over-romanticized and made for YouTube clicks.

All that being said, I now use a saddle 90% of the time. My last two years' bucks were killed from a saddle. The main reason I have gone to a saddle is because where I hunt almost all the trees poplar trees about 8-10" diameter. They are super tough to hide on, but I have found being behind the tree makes a huge difference. I have found the saddle to be a very convenient and conducive way to mobile hunt. All the best in your pursuit! Oh, and finally, the Hawk sticks pictured above are garbage compared to the other brands. I have both. I would hate to have the Hawk sticks as my predominant mobile use sticks.

15-May-23
That might be your opinion. But, I’m not one sticking for you tube. I’m doing it for the convince of packing my setup a long ways, I shaved about 4 pounds over a stick setup, plus I can be up a tree in a few minutes. On the ground in 10 seconds, and back up another tree before you ever get descended taking sticks off the tree.

It may not be for you but, it isn’t a you tube fad.

15-May-23
No prob WV, think that's all I said it was....my opinion ;) Also not sweating is important to me when climbing. Soon as you have to dangle from an aider etc the heart rate spikes pretty quick. My personal deal is I don't really notice an extra couple pounds while walking.

15-May-23
Thank you, APauls - that description was very logical and helpful.

Do either/any of you saddle fans hunt pine trees often? The feedback I have received from guys down here that started saddle hunting is that they struggled with the noise of it.

16-May-23
I have limited hunts in pines. My thoughts about hunting a pine tree is that you would face the same issues with a saddle as a stand. At the end of the day you can use the limbs to climb up, but depending on the pine you can either climb easily, or you need to clear some limbs. A saddle is easier to get up the tree as far as space, but in reality nothing changes there between the two methods.

Once at hunting height a saddle or a stand could be a static sit and you'll need to clear something to shoot your bow. If you clear a little more, a saddle will allow you to swing around the tree and shoot more. But the thing about a saddle, is I can not envision a situation that finds you more limited than a stand. So your base level is that you simply don't move in a saddle and things are equal. Now if you move at all, I feel like advantage is saddle.

I think the reason a person might say that about a pine, is that if you are a hang and hunt guy, you try to avoid clearing a ton of limbs, because you are essentially hunting in 10 minutes. I imagine the overwhelming majority of saddle hunters are doing it to hang and hunt, and would therefore shy away from trees where a ton of trimming is necessary, as opposed to a stand hunter wanting to use the same tree over and over again where a pine is fantastic due to cover after the work is done.

16-May-23
I look for them. Hemlock mostly here. Not much pine.

Here is something to consider. It’s not just my opinion. It’s what I’ve found to be true. I’m not the expert either. But, I’ve done enough to know how and which method of climbing works best.

Sticks. Every mobile hunter has them. Every mobile hunter uses them. They really shine in shorter timber. Young timber. Timber that has a lot of limbs. And, if you only employ one climbing method, this is the one.

I can’t remember who makes the sticks Adam is referring to. But, if it’s just fold up steps, a bunch make them. I use skeletors by tethrd. I carry them when I’m in an area that has hemlock, young timber, field grown timber, etc…. Because they are easily used to get in those type trees. I use a one step amsteel aider on each of the four stick sections.

Going around limbs, changing trunks in a cluster, climbing hard leaning trees, etc…. Is all much easier with sticks. Just use your tether and lineman’s rope in conjunction to always remain attached to the tree.

The only other thing I’ll advise is to repel out of the tree. It’s the most safe way to descend. Especially if using aiders. I’ll never go back to climbing down aiders. Never. Plus it’s fun.

There’s been several touch on the sticks they use. There is a bunch of good ones. I like my hawk heliums. I like the skeletors much better for reasons Adam pointed out. There are a bunch made the same way. You just gotta pick one and go with it.

Pine trees are zero problem climbing with sticks.

16-May-23
I have an XOP stand and stick combo. Very solid but a little heavy. Since $$ isn't a big deal, I'd definitely go with Lone Wolf Custom stuff as they seem to be well built and are about as light as you'll find unless you go the saddle route.

16-May-23
You know what they say about opinions, right, Apauls? What works for some, isn’t necessarily “garbage”, it’s what they can afford or just simply, they like. Or… they don’t predominantly hang and hunt every time.

17-May-23
Nope, you're wrong. If I say it's garbage it is 100% garbage and I have the only opinion that matters, might as well not read anything on the thread except what I wrote. I have the only opinion that matters.

lol in all seriousness I don't give a flying rip if anyone believes me or not. It's just one opinion on the internet for someone to weight into their pile of data. I like to reference where I live, and conditions because so much will differ based on that. I have a certain hunting style that I like, and I like to learn, but I also know 100% that if I lived even 300 miles south of where I am now a bunch of my equipment and styles would change simply due to terrain, tree types etc. So much of what we do is built around the terrain where we live, the type of hunting we do, public land available and quality thereof etc etc etc.

So my opinion is one of many; that comes with its own conditions and variables. I think any smart person gets that, the others can suck eggs cause they're not worth talking to ;)

17-May-23
“I don't give a flying rip if anyone believes me or not.” Nobody said they didn’t believe you. I said calling them “garbage” from someone else’s perspective is pretty… umm, well, I’ll be nice. ;)

Carry on, Canuck. :)

17-May-23
lol just trying to add sarcasm.

18-May-23
Any of the lightweight hang ins will do the trick. I’m still using a Gorilla that’s 8 lbs from 2009. With that, if you can use screw in steps get the ezy screw in steps, not rods. I use an upland game vest or Turkey vest to carry everything and only rope I use is my bow rope

18-May-23

PGA Pro's embedded Photo
PGA Pro's embedded Photo
I should state that I’ve changed it a bit though. I now use one stick and an aider at the bottom and then screw in steps when I can

• Sitka Gear