Iowabowhunter 16-May-23
Hollywood 16-May-23
GFL 16-May-23
midwest 16-May-23
Iowabowhunter 16-May-23
RonP 16-May-23
Thornton 17-May-23
15-May-23
Looking to build out my clothing for an early season Colorado muley hunt.

Ideally I can use this jacket chasing whitetail back here in Iowa as well.

The Kenai would be my outer layer if it gets chilly, wondering who all has it & how you like it?

15-May-23
I own one. For September elk it’s be the perfect outer layer. For November whitetails, I layer under it and over it.

I like the jacket a lot. A whole bunch really. It breathes so well. It’s warm enough to work as a great layer piece too. It’s a great piece of clothing for active type hunts and does its job when setting too if you’ve layered right. It’s a versatile piece of clothing for sure.

15-May-23
i have the kenai in solid color that i use mainly for work. i spend part of the day outside and need something light and warm to throw on for a few hours at a time.

it is good jacket that meets the criteria - fits well, not bulky, warm, light, easy to move in, is fairly soft and quiet and sheds light rain and snow. but i would not consider it durable.

i have an older version that i purchased in kuiu's clearance outlet a few years ago. they have a new version and the durability may have been improved.

15-May-23
I really like mine. Good outer or mid layer, although not made for busting brush all day. Quiet enough for tree stand whitetails.

15-May-23
Love my Kenai jacket, wear it often. One of my favorite Kuiu pieces. bought it on clearance as Ron mentioned above as well not really knowing what I would us it for. Turns out I now use it for almost everything!

15-May-23
I bought a Kenai and love it. Very warm for the weight. Use it for just about everything when it s cold. Camping trips, dog walks, bike rides, a trip to the store. Bought the vest as well and that thing lives in my backpack.

15-May-23
It's a great piece. I have a solid and wear it for hunting as well as around town.

15-May-23
The kenai is truly one of my favorite pieces of gear.

15-May-23
Kenai Plus Points: Best breathing jacket for the warmth it provides I've ever had. Has pit zips to shed more heat/sweat and dang they work well. Hood fits me well. Very soft outer and inner shells that stretch when you move, not restrictive at all yet snug fitting. I like mine for daily dog walking, cross country skiing, going to town, (mine is not camo) etc. Have not worn it yet hunting, got it last fall.

Kenai Minus Points: Not as warm as my KUIU Super Down Ultra hooded jacket that weights a third less and cuts the wind better. Outer shell shows some pilling, and I have not worn it in the brush. Won't be as durable long term as many other coats. Speaking of the Super Down Ultra...it gets wet inside from sweat if I wear it for active use. Never an issue with the Kenai.

Bottom line...great piece of gear.

15-May-23
Awesome, looks like i'll add that to the gear.

Any recommendations on rain gear? I'll be high country early season Colorado

15-May-23
I really like mine as well, warm enough, light enough, breathes enough, quiet enough. I think mine is the original one, several years old. No pit zips or hood on mine. It is not as compact when stuffed or as warm as the down options. I honestly don’t generally carry mine on backpack type hunts, but really like it for most other stuff.

For early season backpack Colorado I would look at the Cabelas Space Rain

—Jim

15-May-23
Thanks for the heads up Jim!

I’m gonna bring my puffy, unsure if I’ll get the super down or super down pro

15-May-23
Early season I prefer the regular super down. The pro is quite a bit bigger/puffier/warmer.

For august/sept in the lower 48 I generally find the regular one just fine for most stuff. There isn’t a big weight penalty on the pro, just don’t find it necessary and if you are packing the Keani you probably don’t need either honestly.

—Jim

16-May-23
As much as I’d like to get both & see the value of having specific clothing pieces for certain situations, I also value versatility.

I also waterfowl hunt here in Iowa and it can get dang chilly slogging thru the marsh some days. I like my clothing pieces to serve dual purposes.

I’m hoping the Kenai is quiet enough where I can wear it bowhunting whitetails & can also layer under my Proximity jacket when it gets real cold!

Leaning towards the hooded super down pro, can use it late muzzy season as an insulation piece hopefully

16-May-23
I'll say that some of the top guys at Kuiu favor the Kenai jacket above all others in the product line. That's saying something.

16-May-23
That jacket is always in my pack elk hunting.

16-May-23
Geezus...who's this Hollywood fella? I remember a guy with that handle that used to post on here all the time! ;-)

16-May-23
Well I’m sold, thanks all!

16-May-23
"Leaning towards the hooded super down pro, can use it late muzzy season as an insulation piece hopefully"

I have the hooded super down pro and love it. I get cold and it is unbelievably warm. Fits great too. Well designed.

17-May-23
I've hunted Colorado since 99' and I have been served well with cheap jackets from Walmart and Cabelas. This year I'm going to Kodiak with a waterproof Shield coat I got on sale for $59.99. If I'm cold, I'll throw on a cheap Swiss Tech $30 puffy jacket under it like I did in Canada.

• Sitka Gear