Medicinemann 17-May-23
Shrewski 17-May-23
DonVathome 17-May-23
Vaquero 45 17-May-23
Hawkeye 18-May-23
16-May-23
I am in shock. MT says I drew my sheep tag. 100-20

16-May-23
Max points but my odds had to be 2% at best.

16-May-23
Congrats. Least someone got lucky.

16-May-23

DonVathome's embedded Photo
Am I reading this right? This is truly unbelievable

16-May-23
Outstanding!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

16-May-23

Now I'm not sure

16-May-23
What the heck is PendingSuccessful?????

16-May-23
Probably means you need to pay. Congrats!

16-May-23
I just went into my cart and purchased it. So yes I drew. I killed myself in WY last year and hunted hard for 20 days and missed a shot I could have made, buck fever. That was late October. Not a day goes by that I do not think about it several times. I have wanted a Rocky for decades, far more than anything else. It has been very difficult accepting I missed. I had a total of a 2% chance at drawing each year (total) in all states I am still applying for. Plus I turn 52 this summer. It is not getting easier to sheep hunt. I cannot believe I have another chance.

16-May-23
Congrats!

16-May-23
Congratulations

16-May-23
I'm guessing this is a huge deal! Congrats!!!!

16-May-23
Congrats!

16-May-23
Congrats Don! Should be a great adventure and looking forward to seeing the recap.

16-May-23
Congratulations!!

16-May-23
Congrats! Cool that you get a chance at redemption....................and so soon!

16-May-23
That's awesome! Time for some Redemption good luck!

16-May-23
That has to be a mistake. Mainly because I applied for the same unit and mine says unsuccessful, so must’ve been a mix-up, I’m sure MT will be contacting you soon to verify that it was me that was supposed to draw ;)

Congrats! Make bowsite proud

16-May-23
haha I would be lying if I said I was sorry Boggs:)

I must have checked 10x today to make sure I did not make a mistake and put in for ewe!!!!!!!! I am very very lucky.

16-May-23
Congrats, that is awesome.

16-May-23
Amazing

16-May-23
Congratulations! Should be an awesome tag!

I just checked and nothing for sheep, goat, moose, or bison...

16-May-23
Congratulations....... I'm assuming it is archery or nothing????

16-May-23
Congrats Don ! Hope you do better the second time around. Good luck !

16-May-23
That’s cool. Congrats

16-May-23
Congrats Don!

16-May-23
Congrats!

16-May-23
Fantastic, keep us updated on the journey!

16-May-23
Congratulations on the tag!!! I know you will do it justice.

17-May-23
Congrats on the tag, hope you can cash in this time.

17-May-23
Congrats on pulling another sheep tag. The days of multiple chances are getting slimmer… hopefully this is your year. Good luck

17-May-23
Yeah Boggs, he drew my tag too. Let's get him!

17-May-23
Looking forward to this write up!

17-May-23
Thanks guys I will keep you in the loop. Based on call with the warden this does not sound like a tough hunt.

17-May-23
When I graduated college and learned about the draws I spent years studying, math, estimates etc. I dreamed of a Rocky Mnt bighorn. I drew archery S44 in CO and gave it heck. See link below. Drawing WY last year and screwing up a rifle shot I could have made has been harder than I ever thought it would be. I do truly think about it several times a day. I pushed all my limits & comfort zones from cliffs, crashing 2" thick frozen rivers in 20 year old Ford to griz, comfort and exhaustion. I never quit and hunted hard and smart every day. I know I gave 100%. That helps but no sheep on my wall has haunted me. I cannot believe I have this tag and have shed tears more than once at the opportunity.

I almost did not make my hunt last year because on stuff going on with my daughter. I felt that I should not go. I was ready, and packed, but the day of my flight found me dealing with things that did not go as planned regarding my daughter who had recently had her first seizure. I have been on the fenceline and that morning decided not to get on the plane. This was aprox 10/1, I could hunt 10/1-10/31. It was tough but I was ok with my decision.

When both of my daughters and my fiancée learned I was not going all 3 of them insisted I go. Very insistent. They knew I had dreamed about this for 25 years. They saw the sacrifices I had been making the previous months and said it was time for me to do something for myself. I ending up going for 10 days and another 10 days the end of October. I will NEVER forget the moment when I changed my mind to go. I get choked up just thinking about it. All the emotions, drawing the tag, planning, deciding not to go, going, going again, missing, are powerful. Good and bad memories I will never forget.

I turn 52 soon and I am in great shape but it is getting harder and harder. Mentally and physically. I know my solo hard core sheep days are numbered. "easy" sheep hunts can happen longer. I am out of NV, almost 0 chance in Utah & CO, done in WY.

Drawing this tag has somehow been as exciting, possibly even more then every other tag I have drawn.

I will appreciate this hunt, more than I can describe. This tag will be put to good use.

Thanks for the word of encouragement!

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=12&threadid=355253&MESSAGES=79&FF=12

17-May-23
Way to go! Best of luck to you.

17-May-23
Don, Congratulations on drawing the tag. I have never participated in the Montana draw. Did you apply for a gun season tag, or a bow season tag.....or do the seasons overlap? For all of the states that you apply for, eventually the odds will catch up with application efforts....this outcome is the result of those efforts.

17-May-23
Jake, Montana only has a sheep license; it is good for all the seasons in a certain unit. Most, if not all units have an archery only season that starts two weeks prior to the general season. You can use your bow during general season but I do believe if you do you must wear orange at that point.

You should buy a point this summer. They are bonus points and max points mean absolutely nothing statistically but imo, every point is the one you may need for that magic number.

17-May-23
Shrewski is right. I think MT squares points so it helps odds if you are at or near max. I am looking forward to seeing my odds when they come out. Last time they had a tag in this unit there were 297 NR apps (it was about 6 years ago). I have always applied very aggressively, and yes it has definitely paid off the last 10 years.

17-May-23
Congrats-Hunt hard , stay safe ! Can't wait to hear hunting adventures etc upon return.

18-May-23
Good luck and congrats, Don!

• Sitka Gear