TREESTANDWOLF 15-Apr-24
StickFlicker 15-Apr-24
pav 15-Apr-24
Mint 15-Apr-24
TREESTANDWOLF 16-Apr-24
bghunter 16-Apr-24
IdyllwildArcher 22-Apr-24
19-May-23
FYI When you search travelocity and other sites they do not show you Southwest. Also Southwest has free bags and you can cancel your flight free up to 10 minutes before departure. I am starting to fly with them more and more ESPECIALLY the flight home. Get done early or stuck late, cancel and book a new flight. Lots of meat, bags are free. 3rd bag is $75. United, for example, will cost you $220 for 3 bags (each way).

Just a heads up for travel.

19-May-23
Sure wish flights would open up between US & China. Short supply still has lowest round trips at $3,500. We have not seen our family nor 2nd home in 3 1/2 years. They say now mostly due to politics/war in Ukraine. It got as low a $1,800 a few months ago before spiking again. Before Covid we went annually for just $540 round trip via Hainan. Domestic is easy ya I always use Southwest for my hunts when necessary, but typically drive.

19-May-23
I'm not a world traveler by any means, but I always try to use Southwest, especially when on hunting trip. They have certainly had some issues this past year but they are still much better than the rest IMO.

19-May-23
I don’t particularly like Southwest personally. They used to be cheaper, but I certainly don’t find that very often anymore. The baggage is certainly a big plus, but sometimes their fares can only be justified considering checking a couple bags. The cancelation deal is not on all fares, and they most certainly charge fare difference when changing flights, which can be significant last minute.

I personally despise their boarding/seating policy and will pay a bit extra to avoid that if for no other reason.

Don makes some fair points, but for me I generally don’t find they they are enough to sway me to Southwest. And let’s face it there is no such thing as a “good airline” these days, it’s all just differing degrees of sh*tty.

—jim

19-May-23
I’ll walk before flying Southwest. They don’t have a hub or home airport. Any little hiccup in any part of the country and it screws up their whole system.

We’ve been left sitting with a cancelled flight more than once with them.

Wife’s a travel agent and she advises against Southwest most of the time.

19-May-23
Interesting. I have not flown with them very often but my fiancée got me into them. I have not used them for hunting trip yet but I'm trying to this year.

Until a few years ago I had no idea that the search engines didn't check Southwest that alone is good information to know and the cancellation policy is unlike any other airport. There been a few times we booked trips somewhere and then found cheaper airfare and simply canceled Southwest.

19-May-23

19-May-23
Like Jim, I don't like Southwest. Their seating thing drives me nuts. I'm not a fan and don't even look at them for flights.

19-May-23
I also dont like flying SW. We are headed on vacation soon, and I actually found delta cheaper than SW for our destination even after paying for checked bags and upgrading to comfort seats. Its a $280 difference for Delta. I hate being loaded onto Southwest like cattle to the slaughter.

19-May-23
Big NO for me too. Their seating and boarding is crazy but the big thing for me is no “home” hub. It’s not worth the $100 or two if they have issues.

19-May-23
I’m also on the list of never flying with ticket class or airlines that don’t allow choosing seats when purchasing a ticket. Drives me crazy. Living in Alaska I get 3 free bags with Alaska anywhere I fly and 2 free bags with Delta so I typically stick to these two only (occasionally use American because they are in OneWorld with Alaska but I don’t like using American)

19-May-23
Depends for me. If it's just me, I have a high tolerance for things like the SW seating. Just get me there and price is a high priority.

If it's a family trip, my priorities are trying to have a smooth, easy and comfortable flight.

19-May-23
My have the mighty have fallen. They were an industry darling 15 years ago. Joke now

19-May-23
“I personally despise their boarding/seating policy and will pay a bit extra to avoid that if for no other reason.”

When I lived in ABQ I used SWA all the time. We referred to them as the “cattle call” of airlines! Just get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on!!!

19-May-23
My kids give me a funny look when I describe what flying was like 30 years ago.

Usually the conversation happens when we have been in an airport line for way too long, surrounded by unhappy travelers and grumpy airline employees.

19-May-23
When I fly I check for SW flights first. Just flew them out of Montrose Co this week. Works great for me but not a big fan of the seating. Thanks for the tip regarding Travelocity.

19-May-23
Flew SW to Alaska years ago and vowed never again.Two broken planes,diverted flights,overbooked,no support and just like that 50 hours later we are in Anchorage.All my luggage is either lost,stolen or damaged.Rod cases are broken in half so as to break the rods.Gun case is broken open and ductaped together(gun inside),all loose items stolen in gun case and suitcase.Missed first guided fishing trip planned. They did give a voucher for the damaged,lost and stolen items.Which was used in the local sporting goods shop.Which I bet they don't do that anymore.No appologies in fact we were lied to in Seatle about another flight. Good Luck with SW

19-May-23
They are no longer the budget airline they used to be, but they are still my #2 after Alaska. The 2 free bags are nice for hunters, but you can get that with Alaska with their Visa.

On the seating, I just set an alarms 24:01 before departure to remind me to check in right when it opens and usually do just fine. You can always pay a nominal up charge to get into the A group.

19-May-23
Seating is got to be the lowest priority for me on hunting trip and if there was anything below that it would somehow be seating again :-)

20-May-23
Alaska #1 Delta #2 SW #3 AA…my last choice …been know to fly UPS too…

20-May-23
I'm like most of you No More S-West for me.

We had tix for Utah vs USC in the PAC 12 Championship game Vegas last December.

Had everything booked for early flight out of SLC and car service upon arrive in Vegas ect.

Freakin' S-West cancels our flight just as we expected to board.

We had all carry on except on bag with all our other stuff in for check-in and it got all screwed up too.

Never ever again for us on S-West,

Robb

20-May-23
All airlines are perfectly happy to let you cancel :10 before a flight. As long as you notify them.

As they are 10% overbooked on every flight

and if everyone were to show up. They then have to beg people to get off the plane.

If I can drive it in 30 hrs, I’m driving.

20-May-23
All Airlines cancel flights from time to time or their Southwest does it more or less I do not know.

Another fact very few people are aware of but federal law says that if you book a flight that is more than 2 weeks away cancellation within 24 hours is free.

20-May-23
Southwest is now rated the worst airline in the country. I don’t know what it is but they seem to have more issues than anybody else. I have a ton of mileage points that I plan to burn this fall but don’t plan to use them much going forward until they can get their stuff figured out. I used to love flying them, especially with my kids.

21-May-23
Good info guys thanks! Getting gear out west is getting more and more difficult. One good thing was when I invested $$$ buying good backpack gear - light and compact, it really helps when I fly out west.

21-May-23
I still love Southwest. Have their credit card that I use for most all business expenses. I always have enough points to fly for free and get a companion pass that allows my wife or kids to fly free with me. I'm A-List so I always board the plane in the first 30 people and chose my seat. The free checked and carry on bags are great. Was nice when we were flying all around the country for my kids hockey and all his gear.

If you want to talk about bad airlines let's talk about Spirit or Frontier, the fee airline.

21-May-23
^^I guess I need to add that my home airport is Denver which is also Southwest's home so I have the most Southwest options of any airport in the country. Other markets might not be so good.

21-May-23

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Wallethubs rankings 2023

21-May-23
Don't have to worry about flying to Alaska with SW, they don't go there.

Terry

21-May-23
When you are nearly 22pts behind Frontier that is pretty bad! LOL

—Jim

22-May-23
I used to use them almost exclusively. The way I look at it now they are all cutting so many corners to boost their profits, they are all terrible. Been flying since the 70's. Used to be a treat and rather enjoyable. Now's its a major chore no matter which airline you choose.

22-May-23
I travel A lot shooting pro archery Southwest has been charging $75 each way for my hard bow case.

25-Sep-23
Flying is nearly as bad as riding a city bus these days, regardless of carrier in the USA. There are some great foreign airlines, but here at home it's bottom of the barrel. Was recently surprised to see even United using a form of the Southwest seating system by using boarding by section line-up areas. At my age I buy changeable/refundable flights these days, and Southwest is till good at that for the most part.

25-Sep-23
Ive started paying a little more to fly buiness select on Southwest. I like the experience better that way.

25-Sep-23
FYI, Southwest just very recently changed their allowable carry on size to be smaller than it was previously.

15-Apr-24
FWIW I flew back from Colorado out of Montrose last fall with a 300" elk rack, skull cleaned and wrapped. Cost $0 extra. Counted it as one of my checked bags.

15-Apr-24
I haven’t flown on any commercial plane in 8 years. And, I’ve only flown co. Erica airlines 5 times. Southwest was by far the cheapest. Especially since they were all to Denver. Good service then as well

15-Apr-24
For hunting, SW is out.

Delta is preferred means now for me.

15-Apr-24

StickFlicker's Link
Don, you are (actually WERE) correct that no travel search website included Southwest, until very recently. Since Chase Bank is a partner with Southwest, they recently worked out an agreement so that Chase's travel search portal now includes Southwest flights. Chase reward programs are very strong in the travel segment, and they often offer very generous signup bonuses which are normally very flexible in their use (convert to cash back, statement credits, transfer to partner airlines, use the points in their travel portal to buy travel, etc.). For those that have their own small businesses and can spend a lot per year, they have some great business Ink card offers right now. I just signed-up for one to pay my taxes with this week, so I will receive $1,000 (+ $200 or $250) when I spend $10,000 (taxes did that in one purchase). It also pays 2% back on all purchases year-round, and 2.5% for purchases over $5,000 (5% for travel purchases of any size). Even though the IRS charges 1.83%, I made a profit since I get 2.5% back on both the taxes I paid AND even on the fee that they charged, which effectively lowered it below 1.8. The points could be used for Southwest or any other airline, hotel, etc. on their travel search engine, for cash back or statement credits. I love points programs! However, they do have no annual fee cards with lower spend requirements that still pay $750 signup bonuses, so they seem to be being really aggressive right now to bring in new business.

15-Apr-24
Primary airline has been Alaska Air for many years. Two months ago, I flew SW for the first time to Tucson for a desert sheep hunt in Sonora, MX. Paid a few extra $$$ for A group seating. Free baggage was a plus. Main reason I chose SW was due to the outfitter's tight window for airport pickup. No complaints here.

15-Apr-24
I fly down to Orlando every year on southwest for my annual hog hunt. Price is usually cheaper, bags are free and with my credit card early bird check in so always get a aisle seat. The big reason I use them is they fly out of Islip airport on Long Island and i don't have to go to JFK or LaGuardia.

16-Apr-24
For hunting, SW is out.

Delta is preferred means now for me.

16-Apr-24
I have flown SW more times then I can count, both work and personal. Besides the family boarding situation, which can be a nightmare flying to Orlando, I have never had an issue with the airline.

One time coming home from Texas, I had some meat and cape in a cooler. I was delayed in St Louis and it was about 90 degrees. I spoke to the gate agent and they were able to get someone to place my cooler in a freezer until my delayed flight was ready. Everything arrived back with no issues.

22-Apr-24
I remember when I was still in college, it was $39 one-way to fly from SoCal to San Jose on SWA and I made that flight every weekend to visit my wife and daughter, paid for by my mom, so that we could be together. Back then, SWA had gone long on fuel futures a couple years out when oil was dirt cheap and when it went back up, they were killing everyone else who was paying higher prices on fuel.

Anymore, I only fly Alaska. I'm almost 1/2 way to being a million-miler and I wouldn't fly anyone else for a few dollars less and lose my status that gets me upgrades and the eventual permanent million-miler benefits. As Trevor said, if you live in AK, you get two free bags to-and-from the lower 48 anyways.

• Sitka Gear