Paul@thefort 26-May-23
Rut-N-Strut 26-May-23
Dennis Razza 29-May-23
22-May-23

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Anticipation is the reward.
Anticipation is the reward.
Originally we booked a trip with Kent for May 2020 but Covid shot that down. Three years later with the vaccine requirement gone we made it happen. As you know Canadian Outfitters had zero US customers for two years and it was tough financially. Kent the owner of Rock Ridge made good on our deposits and survived. We were excited to be supporting our Canadian Brothers and sisters.

This photo is Chris Reed, owner of Reedy’s archery in Massachusetts and Virginia and me on our flight. This is Chris’ 30th year in business and his stores are destination experiences. Top shelf Mathews dealer every year.

22-May-23

I’ve hunted with Vern twice in past years. .
I’ve hunted with Vern twice in past years. .
The week before we arrived the hunters went 6 for 6 and this picture is 80 year old Vern from Georgia who drives up every year. A beautiful Cinnamon bear.

22-May-23

Carrot River
Carrot River
Kent has 26 bear tags issued each year but only uses 16. He is adamant about maintaining quality bears. His log cabins are on the bank of the famous Carrot River. We hunt on quads right out of the cabins. Very comfy place.

22-May-23

We cross the Carrot River to get to Kent. No one is any where near us.
We cross the Carrot River to get to Kent. No one is any where near us.
The other couple with us is Cheryl and Bob from Ohio. Four hunters, Kent and his two Guides Wade and Kurt.

22-May-23

Bobs boar.
Bobs boar.
The first evening hunt the 4 of us were super excited. I saw 3 bears, Chris saw 1 Chocolate, Cheryl missed and Bob shot a good boar. You can see the fire smoke in this picture.

22-May-23

Fire smoke was heavy.
Fire smoke was heavy.
Kent caped out Bobs bear, fleshed and salted it for their drive home at the end of the week.

There were numerous fires around us (none closer than 100 miles) but the smoke was heavy at times. Not much can be done to get these fires out. Sun was shining in this picture but we could not see it.

22-May-23
Awesome! Keep it coming!

22-May-23

Biggun with white patch.
Biggun with white patch.
Day two Bob and Cheryl sat a natural ground blind Kent and his guides built. They’ve been having good success with these natural ground blinds. They saw a few bears but nothing to shoot. Chris saw his little chocolate bear again but nothing else. His trail camera was showing a giant chocolate bear and a giant blackie so he’ll keep going there. I moved to a bait where this guy showed. He’d be a good one to get

22-May-23

One of the bears I saw day three.
One of the bears I saw day three.
The third night Bob and Cheryl saw 4 or 5 bears but nothing presented a shot.

The wind came hard out of the North and brought dense fire smoke. I had two huge trees fall about 60 yards and then 70 yards.

Chris didn’t see anything until later and then a parade of 5 or six bears. The big blackie and also the big chocolate showed but didn’t come to the bait. Then at last light the big chocolate came out and Chris shot at 17 yards. Bear ran off with arrow half out and lighted nock a glow. Wade picked up Chris and they backed out until am.

22-May-23

Wade crossing the River with shotgun in hand.
Wade crossing the River with shotgun in hand.
We were excited but worried about the penetration. In the am the two guides Wade and Kurt, Chris and me went out to track. We found blood about 30 yards out which got heavy but then started petering out (not good). After careful tracking we finally saw the bear had crossed the Carrot River. This was not looking good at all. Wade decided the Wade across the river at what looked to be the shallowest river crossing. We stayed on the bank to see if he found any sign. He had calf high boots on but needed to got knee high so he got soaked.

22-May-23

Sasky giant.
Sasky giant.
After an hour on the other side of the river Wade came out and said he found Chris’ bear. I’ve tracked many animals over my years and was certain this bear was lost but some how Wade found him. Chris wanted a color phase bear but this guy was beyond his dreams. Can you imagine seeing the bear crossing the river the night before with the lighted nock showing. A miracle find.

22-May-23

Chris and guide Wade
Chris and guide Wade
A few more pics.

22-May-23

Skull
Skull
Happy (and lucky) hunter.

22-May-23

Crossing the River with cape and skull. Freakin epic retrieval
Crossing the River with cape and skull. Freakin epic retrieval
Because the bear was so big and on the other side of the river Wade and Kurt caped it where it lay. They also found the arrow so the grinding while moving with the Broadhead in him eventually did him in. What a loss if Wade did not persist. This pic is Wade crossing the River with the cape.

22-May-23

Classic bear cape photo.
Classic bear cape photo.
When we got back to camp we measured the bear at 90” wide 86” long which squared at 7’ 4”. Green skull was 20 2/16.

22-May-23

Happy happy
Happy happy
Left to right Kent, Wade, bear, Chris and Kurt. What a team.

22-May-23

Paw was a tad over 5”.

22-May-23
Keep it coming Charlie!

22-May-23

Wade’s new Mathews Phase 4.
Wade’s new Mathews Phase 4.
Wade is a serious bow hunter when not guiding and as a reward Chris gave him his brand new Mathews Phase 4 with ALL the fixings and a dozen arrows. Wade was off the charts excited as Chris knew from many past hunts most guides would have given up at the river.

22-May-23
Dang....what a brute!! (the bear that is! lol)

22-May-23

Beaver pond
Beaver pond
Ok two hunters tagged and Cheryl and me still to go. Here’s a few pic’s along the way. I love this bear country.

22-May-23
Super nice bear keep posting more!

22-May-23
Beautiful chocolate bear!

22-May-23

Green skull score 19 8/16’s. Beautiful big boar.
Green skull score 19 8/16’s. Beautiful big boar.
Day four I stayed at the stand where the big blackie had been. I saw 5 bears this pm hunt and one good one but no big boy.

Cheryl was sitting a new blind with husband Bob and a nice big black bear came in but no shot. A bit later he came back and this time she got her shot and made good. Wade and Chris came out for the recovery and he was a really big black bear. Cheryl was so excited and got to share the experience with Bob.

22-May-23
Been waiting for this! What a stud of a bear for reedy! Well done on the tracking job !

22-May-23

Big Chocolate
Big Chocolate
Kent’s hunts are 6 days but we will hunt five due to flights so the next day will be my last sit. Guide Kurt did his rounds in the am and found this bear on a bait we hadn’t been to yet and since the big blackie hadn’t shown in 4 days I’ll head there this pm sit. Here’s a picture of this new big boy.

22-May-23
Hope day 5 was the day!

Here in Colorado we are all smoked in. Must be some crazy fires up there.

22-May-23
Been waiting for this! What a stud of a bear for reedy! Well done on the tracking job !

22-May-23

Kent traps and tans wolves. Amazing talent and amazing beasts.

22-May-23
Killing some toads up there! Hope the big boy showed up for you, C!

22-May-23
Good luck, hopefully persistence pays off!

22-May-23
Great stuff so far!!!! Get’em Charlie.

22-May-23
Good luck charlie, that one your after is a monster!

22-May-23
Good luck Charlie!

22-May-23
Nice bears as well as the one you’re gonna get

22-May-23
Great bears.

“ then started petering out (not good). After careful tracking we finally saw the bear had crossed the Carrot River. This was not looking good at all.“

The tracking tenacity was nice to read. It would have been easy for them to say it was poorly hit and stop tracking.

22-May-23
Hope you get a shot at that big boy!

22-May-23
That bears a giant C!

22-May-23
Thanks for the post Charlie! What a blast. Beautiful place and a supreme adventure. Good luck tonight.

22-May-23
Great write up Charlie! Can’t wait to see yours!

22-May-23
Best of luck !!! Hammertime

22-May-23
Some really nice bears there. Looking forward to you wrapping it up with that brute in camera!

—jim

22-May-23
Good luck!

22-May-23

Sow and three cubs. The future.
Sow and three cubs. The future.
Appreciate all your posts guys. I get to my stand at 4:30 pm. I’m just getting settled in and noticed there was a trail under my stand. My feet are about 9’ off the ground and at 5:35 I sensed something behind me and turned around and he was there at 4 yards watching me. Dang, I was caught. He had no business being there that early. He turned away and I rose to draw but he ran off. I talk myself into thinking he may circle and come back later.

About an hour later I had this sow with three cubs come right under my tree and two cubs got scared and started climbing my stand. Yikes, they got down and continued to the bait. Here’s a picture.

22-May-23
Doh!! Caught! Hopefully this changes and he comes back…

22-May-23
In the next four hours I saw 5 different boars but held out. Our average bear sightings during the week was around 40% color phase.

Last shoot time was around 9:20 pm and at 9:00 I saw a huge black bear cross about 50 yards to my South. He continued out of sight and then I heard a quick aggressive fight. A few minutes later a black bear returned the same way he approached and then circled around to the bait. At first I thought he was the giant and got ready. It was a good boar but not the giant. With 10 minutes to go I took an ideal 17 yard broadside shot. The arrow zipped right threw he ran about 30 years and piled up. Heard gurgling and knew he was done.

I gathered my gear and walked out to meet Kurt at the quads. The bear dies in a swamp and it took us around two hours to get him out and we arrived home at 11:45.

22-May-23

The quads do the job. My bear green scored 2/16’s under P&Y minimum of 18” but it was a terrific end for us all.
The quads do the job. My bear green scored 2/16’s under P&Y minimum of 18” but it was a terrific end for us all.
Notice the fresh cut on his forehead.
Notice the fresh cut on his forehead.
Here is a picture of my bear. It was another fantastic week at Kent’s on the beautiful Carrot River.

We will be back again next year.

22-May-23
Great job Charlie

22-May-23

Chris is going to do a full mount. Nice picture with the Carrot River below us.

22-May-23
Great job. Great Bears

22-May-23
Great stories/pics and congrats on the bear, Charlie!

22-May-23
Congratulations everyone,, thanks for sharing the stories Charlie,, great animals

22-May-23
Nice write up, Charlie! Congrats to everyone on the bears! What’s the next leg on your bearapalooza tour?

22-May-23
Excellent hunt recap Charlie! Congrats to all the successful bear hunters in camp!

22-May-23
Charlie, curious as to the use for the leaf blower on the front of the quad in that pic with your bear?

—jim

22-May-23
Jim I had the same question….then I remembered he said the bear died in a swamp…but looks fairly clean on the quad.. I’m betting they blew all the dirt and crap off of his fur…

22-May-23
Great write up Charlie! And congratulations on your bear!

22-May-23
Congrats Charlie, it looks like everyone enjoyed another adventure!

22-May-23
Good stuff my friend.

22-May-23
Great hunt, congrats!

22-May-23
Awesome hunt, Charlie! Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to tell the tales!

22-May-23
Nice bears - how’s the meat taste?

22-May-23
Congrats Charlie!! We all knew you'd get it done! Some absolute tanks in the north of middle provinces. Big bodies and big heads!

22-May-23
Congratulations on a great hunt Charlie…….thanks for sharing it with us!

23-May-23
Way to go Charlie and congrats. Hard to beat last year. Kent is a hoot...

23-May-23
Great hunt!! congrats to Chris, Charlie and the rest of the crew!

23-May-23
Good deal Charlie! Now I’m ready for some bear hunting.

23-May-23
Great pics Charlie! Thanks for the write up!!

23-May-23

Chris crossing the Carrot River to get his bear.
Chris crossing the Carrot River to get his bear.
JTreeman: The bear died in a nasty swamp. We winched him out with the quad and he got muddy. Power washed and used the leaf blower in the am for pics.

Thx for following along. I hope more guys post bear hunt stories.

23-May-23
Great pics! Looks like y'all had a damn good time. Congrats on the bruins!

23-May-23
Great hunt and pics!

Congrats to all and thanks for posting Charlie!

23-May-23
Congrats on another great adventure Charlie, well done.

23-May-23
Thanks for taking us along and sharing and congrats to all on some fine bears!!

23-May-23
Looks like a great time, glad you were finally able to make the trip happen.

23-May-23
Sounds like a beautiful location great camp and friends! What could be better. Congrats on your bear Charlie.

23-May-23
Congrats to all....thanks for taking us along!

23-May-23
As others have said,,,,,, Outstanding hunt!!

24-May-23
Congrats Charlie! Sorry I missed you but busyass time of year. Glad your crew had fun awful hard not to at Kentrock’s! I guided deer hunters for him for a decade that flew by always lotsa fun and frivolity happening around there!

24-May-23
Rob: You and Kent Outfit an incredible area and create life long memories for your hunters. Absolute “pro’s” Best always. C

26-May-23
Sounds like a great hunt, Charlie. Congrats on the bear. Thanks for sharing. Lenny

26-May-23
What a great hunt and recap!! Great pics, great bears, and amazing experience overall!!!

26-May-23
Hey Charlie, loved all of the details of the hunt. Nicely done by all. My best, Paul

26-May-23
Looks like a great hunt!! Chris is a great guy and couldn’t be happier for you both.

29-May-23
Congrats guys!

• Sitka Gear