fdp 05-Jun-23
Bou'bound 05-Jun-23
WhattheFOC 05-Jun-23
x-man 05-Jun-23
Pop-r 05-Jun-23
Murph 05-Jun-23
Corax_latrans 06-Jun-23
04-Jun-23
I'm in the market for a new bow as mine has mysteriously disappeared. I wasn't planning on buying a new bow for a long time as I had No problem with what I had and have always thought it was better than I am although this would have been it's 14th season.

Onto my question...Alot of these newer bows use a peep with surgical tube like we did in the 80's. I do not want the tube as I'm not used to it for one but I also don't want it getting damaged on the mountain or jerked out by brush/limbs. A tied in peep has been working great for me for many years. Why are they using the old style peeps and is there a benefit of it? Thanks!

04-Jun-23
I haven’t seen one on a bow for years not sure why they would bring that back, the high end strings on the market today eliminate the need for it, with high let off bows that surgical tubing would be a tuning nightmare, if people are doing in your area I would t follow that fad… just my opinion : Jim

04-Jun-23
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was just looking at some "ready to shoot" packages to get me by and most of them were set up that way. Bear, PSE, etc... I'm not a big bow bandwagon guy...like I said I think most all of them are better than I am and was just looking for an easy fix. I only have an antelope tag this year and don't even have it yet so just about anything would suffice but I don't like that tubing.

04-Jun-23
If it needs a tube to straighten the peep, the strings are garbage.

04-Jun-23
If you are going to buy one of those ready to shoot bows you will need to change the strings immediately if you don’t want to fool with the tubing. Those bows are relatively cheap and their strings are just slightly better than junk.

04-Jun-23
I got ya.

04-Jun-23
There are a lot of very good “value” bows these days. For a serious bowhunter I would consider the “ready to shoot package” bows a worst case emergency situation type purchase.

For similar money you can put together a very respectable good quality bow and accessories.

—Jim

04-Jun-23
I just don't have time to try a bunch of different bows nor did I plan for the investment. IF I could get by with a "cheapo" for the year I'm not against it. ALL of my shots will be about 25 yds and under. I thought about even going a longbow. My buddy in MT is always amazed I don't carry a back up bow anyway so this one could be it.

04-Jun-23
I’m not dogging you for having a tight budget I get it but when the initial question came up I had no idea of your lackadaisical approach to bow hunting it don’t sound like your really prepared for anything the tag the hunt bow etc you may wanna circle back with a good plan buddy good luck…

04-Jun-23
How does a bow mysteriously disappeared? I'd find a used bow that is 2-3 years old either ready to go or that and find some used accessories way before I'd buy a big box package with crap accessories.

05-Jun-23
From what I’ve read here, I think you should go with the longbow. All your shots are going to be short- and no tubing on the peep with a LB. Perfect.

05-Jun-23
I've got no opinion about your bow selection or preparation but the twisting of the peep has more to do with how it's installed then it does the material the string is made from.

05-Jun-23
Wow, some horrible, misleading, and dead wrong information on this thread. Don’t believe everything you read on BS fellas…

—Jim

05-Jun-23
"Don’t believe everything you read on BS fellas…"...or any where else.

05-Jun-23
This is one of those threads where the entertainment value massively exceeds the educational value. Lots of threads like that these days

05-Jun-23
Longbow is the obvious (and easiest) choice.

05-Jun-23
The tolerance of the political threads has forever changed the level of respect around here. Very few post here without being cynical these days.

My recommendation would be to buy a new custom string whether buying a new ready to shoot package or a used bow. Rule of thumb... if you spend less than $600 for the bow package, it's probably going to need custom strings to use a tubeless peep.

05-Jun-23
Thank you all for the valuable information. I truly appreciate it.

For the jacklegs...or Murph alikes I have a very solid plan. It has worked so well in the past i'd bet alot it will out produce yours. I got me another antelope tag today so i now have two if the MT draw goes as planned and I don't even have a bow that's not under 25 yrs old and I'm not nervous a bit. Lol I can buy one on Wednesday of one week and by Saturday of the next week not be handicapped one bit for opening day. I've been shooting a bow & hunting with one very consistently for going on 40 yrs bud so I kinda know my limits.

John I don't know what has happened to it?! We had a couple family business party's and have been on vacation a couple times where a teenage friend of the family house sat and come to find out her boyfriend came over as well so I really don't know because I had it in my "hunting room" and don't take an inventory very often. I just know its GONE and I'm sick about it! I haven't noticed any other large items missing so idk. I did have a buddy heater come up gone as well though. Thieves suck

I will add I have shot a LB quite a bit but it's been about 20 yrs. I shot one as a teenager and through my twenty's almost everyday. I have no doubt I could pick one up and be lethal with it very shortly thereafter. I would however restrict those shots to 16 yds or so personally.

05-Jun-23
Sorry for the quick judgement pop r , we obviously have a very different approach towards bowhunting I devote 365 to it and still find gaps in my process so kudos to you for being able to wing it and get it done, I wish it was that easy for me good luck in the upcoming fall !

06-Jun-23
Just a thought - 20 years is a lot longer time away from the LB with respect to poundage than it is WRT to technique…. but even that depends on your technique. If you were young, strong and a bit of a knucklehead, this might hurt a little.

• Sitka Gear