goyt 05-Jun-23
t-roy 05-Jun-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 05-Jun-23
RIT 05-Jun-23
Catscratch 05-Jun-23
Trackdawg 05-Jun-23
Buckdeer 16-Jun-23
04-Jun-23
It is gly resistant. Will Butyrac kill it?

04-Jun-23
Where are you trying to kill it? Clover, soybeans?

04-Jun-23

DanaC's Link

05-Jun-23
I use 2,4-d and it's deadly to marestail, but of course it also kills a lot of other broad-leaf plants.

05-Jun-23
Same question as T-Roy. May or may not be Easily treated depending on the what’s in the field. For example if it’s roundup ready only soybeans You’re gonna be screwed. If it’s enlist beans then Liberty (Glufosinate) or Duo (enlist approved 2-4D) will wipe it out.

If it’s clover or alfalfa then Butyrac may help but only if it’s really early and my guess is it’s gonna be less effective.

It’s nasty stuff. Don’t let it mature!!

05-Jun-23
I use interline but does have have to be liberty beans

05-Jun-23
I’m clearing a field now of nasty weeds. I sprayed glyphosate a few weeks ago and it killed everything except Marestail. I read that 24 D will kill it. If I spray with 24D, can I disc the next day and plant Buckwheat?

05-Jun-23
I'd wait a couple of weeks before planting back with a broadleaf.

05-Jun-23
If should wait, is it even worth planting something this summer. I can just wait until Fall.

05-Jun-23
Based on book knowledge only and no boots on ground yet I’d wait a few week, or like you said wait till fall if you can. Recently got a property in NY so the food plot stuff has been in my brain 24-7 constant reading .. fun adventure we’re embarking on

05-Jun-23
You could use Garlon as it is not soil active, just not sure it would be effective on the more mature plants. Worth trying it on a small patch. Garlon works very well on broad leaf plants while they are still in rapid growth mode. Some plants are well controlled the entire growing season while some become completely tolerant early in the season as soon as they transition to seed production. I dont remember any first hand experience with mares tale but I feel like I have treated it incidentally.

05-Jun-23
If you are going to use 2,4 D I would spray as soon as you can. I have planted before 3 weeks were up after spraying with 2, 4 D and had to replant because nothing came up. After 3 weeks you can determine if the marestail is gone and then plant before the next rain or wait for a fall planting.

05-Jun-23
Why not just simply disc the field up and plant your buckwheat? Discing it up will kill your existing marestail (along with all the other growing weeds) and hopefully, the buckwheat will shade out everything else, once it emerges. IMO, you would be just wasting money and time, spraying 2,4-D, then having to wait for the residual to subside, If you’re wanting to disc and plant right away.

05-Jun-23
T-Roy’s got a point….

05-Jun-23
Have you ever taken a step back and looked at the big picture? Weeds often tell a story of what’s wrong with your soil.

05-Jun-23
RIT has a point. I had a huge crop of marestail pop up in my plots once. Changed my plantings up and haven't seen any since. Did the same thing to treat Palmer amaranth (which is gly resistant too). Way easier and cheaper than using chemicals (for me anyway).

05-Jun-23
All good points from everyone. I like to use a no till approach mostly because my “disc” is a groundhog max that is decent at best when discing soil. I could disc it, but it will not cut deep enough or effectively kill the weed. This is really the only weed I’m not able to control currently. If I spray 24D I will have to wait about two weeks for chemical to deplete from the soil. I recently discovered this from some research.

16-Jun-23
I use valor as a pre emergant in my beans to keep marestail and pigweed out and it works great.I was slow enough coming up I need to touch up.Comparing to another small plot I didn't use Valor the plot with no pre emergant was failure and it's only 50ft away

• Sitka Gear