Buglmin 05-Jun-23
Glunt@work 05-Jun-23
ryanrc 05-Jun-23
Grasshopper 05-Jun-23
Aspen Ghost 06-Jun-23
Pop-r 06-Jun-23
05-Jun-23
Tagging off the Elk Mtn thread:

Who's going to Corner Cross in Wyoming this year?

05-Jun-23
No, not in my budget.

05-Jun-23
maybe next year. this year my schedule is full of corners i plan to hop in colorado.

05-Jun-23
No but I paid close attention to those organizations who lifted a finger to protect ours rights to our national heritage...and those who didn't lift a finger because of their donors

05-Jun-23
Hey Michael, you can’t claim that bs when it favors the BHA. Yet deny it when it doesn’t. That disingenuous at its best.

05-Jun-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Corner crossed my ass of in SW Wyoming last year. Funny thing didn't meet no sheriff or rancher or hell anyone for that matter. Did shoot a nice fat cow. Unfortunately unless some crazy luck in the antelope or deer random draw don't plan on having a tag this year. Might help my brother who lives in Casper with his general tag definitely helping if he draws his limited entry. Fortunately (or I guess Unfortunately in this case) both his general and limited unit don't have much if any checkerboard. Remember gentlemen.

05-Jun-23
I think I remember that a trespassing ticket in CO resulted in a loss of 20 application points. Does Wyo have a similar punishment?

05-Jun-23
Nope. Colorado is a different beast altogether. One of the few states I wouldn't risk it.

05-Jun-23
Hunting while trespassing is the 20 point ticket. Hard to say a guy is hunting private land when his foot was in private airspace for a second or two. Not saying you won't get that ticket but I think it's different when the sheriff writes up trespassing vs the CPW officer.

05-Jun-23
I might, depends on where I draw. No issues with it actually and we allow it on the ranch we work for.

05-Jun-23
Glunt that's my understanding as well. 90%+ cases in Colorado were a guy is truly only corner crossing the charge is standard trespassing as intent to hunt can be difficult to prove.

05-Jun-23
I wonder if the Missouri guys plan on hopping Elk Mountains corner again.

05-Jun-23
Maybe I'm just built different, but I can't imagine a quicker way to ruin what is supposed to be an enjoyable vacation, than having run-ins with people over corner crossing. I get 1-2 weeks a year out west to enjoy hunting, and no way I wanna cast a pall over my time. If I lived out there and hunted more, maybe.

05-Jun-23
My tag this year is in large contiguous public. Next year my 1 pt plan is going to be based around a checkerboard unit

05-Jun-23
Wytex that's a good point we haven't heard much about with all this elk mountain talk. Tons of landowners and livestock/grazing associations in Wyoming allow corner crossing with no hassle.

05-Jun-23
I've given up a few great places on private just to avoid drama during my precious hunting time. Odd land owners, other hunters with permission causing issues , etc.

05-Jun-23
Yep Push they sure do. Not all LOs are jerks and some just expect a little respect for their land.

05-Jun-23
I agree Wytex.

By a factor of 100. I’ve had far more issues with douche hunters than greedy, rich landowners.

05-Jun-23
Agree Jay, the only rich landowner I came across invited me onto his place to fill my late season cow tag. Good guy and we got along great. Mutual respect goes a long way.

05-Jun-23
Feel like there’ll be a lot more points burned next year if corner crossing becomes a non issue.

05-Jun-23
^^that could be an interesting change up for the big picture.

05-Jun-23
Does being " rich " make someone inherently bad ?

05-Jun-23
Being one of the "have's" instead of the "have not's" certainly seems to change folks perspectives on lots of things...

05-Jun-23
Haven’t big game hunted Wy in 12 or so years. Doubt I ever will again.

05-Jun-23
This point system Colorado has, is it application points you loose or hunting license points. And dose it carry over, if license points to other states, as it's not a game violation? On the application points, if it's application points, what if you don't do application points?

05-Jun-23
Teeton, hunting or fishing on private property without permission is a "20 point violation". Accumulating 20 points, sort of like on a driver's license, leads to suspension of hunting and fishing privileges for a year or more. The suspension is honored by every state except Maryland and Hawaii.

This is tricky with corner crossing because they have to prove intent to hunt. My game warden friends tell me they don't even try that in CO, and let the sheriff and DA prosecute corner crossers as criminal trespass, which isn't a Title 33 hunting violation. So no suspension, only a fine.

05-Jun-23
Being rich doesn't make you inherently bad. Filing a lawsuit on 4 guys who went above and beyond to make sure the only thing that happened was there foot went over a tiny piece of corner while claiming millions in damages does. Elk mountain will have more then 4 people corner crossing this year. Many landowners are great people and with a little respect you can get pretty far. But there are some who have become accustomed to treating pieces of public as their own private property.

05-Jun-23
Don't have a Wyo tag (yet) but I wouldn't corner cross without permission. Similar to Bake, I don't need the drama on my vacay.

05-Jun-23
As mentioned by some, game retrieval in a corner cross scenario would suck. I go to kill something. At my age, game retrieval has become almost my number one concern.

If I wasn't a cheapskate and it wasn't so expensive, having a guide crew deal with game retrieval is becoming more appealing.

05-Jun-23
I don't get the issue with game retrieval. Heave the pack over the corner.

05-Jun-23
The property we watch and have cameras on isn't hard to prove trespassing with the intent to hunt when the guys are carrying bows or guns. If the CPW officer arrives before the deputy sheriffs, the tickets written are trespassing with the intent to hunt, the sheriffs usually write criminal trespassing. Only twice last fall did they actually arrest guys. If there is a dead animal involved, it's a different charge that does bring in the CPW guys.

05-Jun-23
As a juror, I would have a hard time convicting someone of intending to hunt private land when there is video/pics of them stepping from public to public. If anything, it would seem to prove the intention was to hunt on public whether the airspace violation constitutes trespassing or not.

05-Jun-23
The intent to hunt means you were intending to hunt the land you are trespassing on. If you are only stepping over the property line into more public, I don't see how they could ever prove your intent to hunt the private property you simply stepped over.

05-Jun-23
"I don't get the issue with game retrieval. Heave the pack over the corner."

It might double or more the distance of the pack out. If the center of a section is a mountain with cliffs, to go from one corner to the other could be 2 miles. If you are solo, which is often my case, an elk is 5 trips in, and 5 trips out. 2 corners jumped is 20 miles.

I'm not a marathoner, and 25 years old was 23 years and couple knee procedures ago. To each their own, have at it.

06-Jun-23
I understand your point Grasshoper. It's also the reason that corner hopping won't be all that popular even if legal. Once you get a mile from the road, the number of hunters diminishes rapidly. Some will be willing but not most.

06-Jun-23
Oh it will be popular. that is where all the hunters will be. Thinking that is where all the un pressured trophy animals are. The Xanadu of hunting.

The new honey hole will shortly become over hunted and the animals will be moved onto private land.

06-Jun-23
"Allow" would be the incorrect term to be specific.

• Sitka Gear