Smoke from Canada choking the Northeast!
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 06-Jun-23
Rut Nut 06-Jun-23
JTreeman 06-Jun-23
spike78 06-Jun-23
jdbbowhunter 06-Jun-23
Rut Nut 06-Jun-23
Blood 06-Jun-23
huntinelk 06-Jun-23
Ksgobbler 06-Jun-23
Fields 06-Jun-23
Sean D. 06-Jun-23
CFMuley 06-Jun-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 06-Jun-23
ILbowhntr 06-Jun-23
Tilzbow 06-Jun-23
Pyrannah 06-Jun-23
2Wild Bill 06-Jun-23
Aspen Ghost 06-Jun-23
Franzen 07-Jun-23
AZ8 07-Jun-23
Lewis 07-Jun-23
Will 07-Jun-23
Shuteye 07-Jun-23
SaddleReaper 07-Jun-23
Mint 07-Jun-23
Rut Nut 07-Jun-23
Rut Nut 07-Jun-23
Pete In Fairbanks 07-Jun-23
NM highcountry 07-Jun-23
Teeton 07-Jun-23
Rut Nut 07-Jun-23
Groundhunter 07-Jun-23
DanaC 07-Jun-23
Al Dente Laptop 07-Jun-23
70lbDraw 07-Jun-23
Rut Nut 07-Jun-23
CallumBegum95 08-Jun-23
greenmountain 08-Jun-23
Rut Nut 08-Jun-23
spike78 08-Jun-23
RK 08-Jun-23
Rut Nut 08-Jun-23
Corax_latrans 08-Jun-23
Corax_latrans 08-Jun-23
walking buffalo 08-Jun-23
Groundhunter 09-Jun-23
Phil Magistro 09-Jun-23
Will 09-Jun-23
Groundhunter 09-Jun-23
Aspen Ghost 09-Jun-23
Bowfreak 09-Jun-23
Corax_latrans 09-Jun-23
SteveB 09-Jun-23
SteveB 09-Jun-23
2Wild Bill 09-Jun-23
06-Jun-23
It is really bad here in Northeast Pa and Southeast NY! Was hazy all day with reduced visibility and a hint of smoke in the air. But by mid-afternoon visibility dropped to a little over 1 mile with smoke burning your nostrils, eyes and causing some coughing. At 4:30 it looked like dusk and everyone on the highway had their headlights on.

Just watched the weather on the local news and it is coming down from some big fires in Quebec. (You could see it on radar). They said calls are flooding our local 911 system because people think the fires are here! I have never seen anything like this!

06-Jun-23
Sorry folks- trying to add a link.

06-Jun-23
Ha, I heard the same thing from a buddy of mine who lives up in that area today. I thought he was just being a cry baby! LOL

-jim

06-Jun-23
Yup same here in MA amazing it traveled here and low to the ground

06-Jun-23
Ya its pretty bad.

06-Jun-23

Rut Nut's Link
Just saw it on WORLD nEWS TONIGHT

06-Jun-23
I think it’s amazing. I’m in CT and absolutely love the sky, cool temps and smell in the air. Reminds me of being in MT or ID during elk season in September. You don’t get this awesomeness ever here. Absolutely incredible!!

06-Jun-23

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Ain't no crying in northern PA....just facts

06-Jun-23
Its like the Great Plains from say late Feb through May. On good burn days the sun is smoked out. However I can see how it would be cumbersome in other less fire tolerant areas of the country.

06-Jun-23
Im in central/Eastern PA and keep looking out in my wood patch thinking something has to be burning... its not.... Hard to believe how smoke can travel those long distances...

06-Jun-23
It looks really hazy here in central Ohio today from the smoke. Surprised its came down this far. East winds are not typical here but have been blowing that way for a few weeks now.

06-Jun-23
The whole western US was choked with smoke a few weeks ago from fires in Alberta. The fires were actually in the areas I was hunting, and I had buddies as far as New Mexico complaining about the smoke. Weird that it didn’t really get mentioned in the news, and I’ve seen multiple stories, including a push notification on my phone today in Utah, about the smoke from the fires in Quebec.

06-Jun-23
Another mass guy here….smoke was low and thick almost all day. Crazy. My buddy in NE PA said it was like it was dusk allll day.

06-Jun-23
Been hazy the last couple days in Illinois. They said it’s from several fires in Missouri.

06-Jun-23

Tilzbow's Link
See link and you can see how bad it really is. Surprisingly it’s over 200 in parts of the northeast which is in the unhealthy range. Not good for you guys!

I live in Reno, NV and it’s common to have AQI in excess of 300 for weeks at a time during summer fire season. It’s actually exceeded 500 a few times when California burns.

06-Jun-23
southern pa... smelled the smoke when i let the dog out tonight...

didnt notice it earlier

06-Jun-23
South central Connecticut, smell the smoke odor here and the sky is yellowish.

06-Jun-23
CFMuley, It's never news until it happens in the East!

07-Jun-23
It’s very strange how satellite imagery shows many of the Canadian fires started at it very close to the same time lines

many think it’s environmental wackos starting fires to claim global warming is to blame.

How many gas engines would have to be added to the planet to come up with this much smoke. And carbon emissions.

07-Jun-23
I was aware of smoke from Alberta fires. Was it news, or maybe here... not sure?

07-Jun-23
A typical summer here in the West. Wouldn’t be a real summer without smoke in the air. :)

07-Jun-23
It’s here in Tennessee not as bad but it’s here Lewis

07-Jun-23
Definitely heard about the AB fires and the west... It affected the northeast a few days earlier this year as well, but not as bad as this round though. Yesterday afternoon was the most smoke anyone alive in New England has likely seen over the whole area. It was pretty wild here.

07-Jun-23
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and it got smoky yesterday and is pretty smoky this morning.

07-Jun-23
Altitude... My thoughts as well. One has to wonder how so many would start at the same time. Wouldn't be at all surprised if some of it is arson related.

07-Jun-23
Going home to Long Island last night crossing the GW Bridge was surreal, looked like super heavy fog on the hudson.

07-Jun-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
It’s bad again today! Almost as bad as yesterday afternoon. I was listening to the local forecast on my NWS radio and it was weird to hear ..................”HAZY, PATCHY SMOKE IN THE MORNING, CHANCE OF AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS”(for tomorrow)

And then this special weather statement from the NWS

07-Jun-23

Rut Nut's Link
Here is a good explanation of what is going on............

07-Jun-23
Looks like a normal summer day over most of Interior Alaska. We wildland firefighters refer to it as the "sweet smell of overtime!"

I've fought fire for 54 seasons. If breathing that air was actually deadly, I would have died from it long ago!

Pete

07-Jun-23

NM highcountry's embedded Photo
NM highcountry's embedded Photo
No smoke in Southern New Mexico but there is a lot of clouds and some rain.??

07-Jun-23
Good horse standing with the cinches hanging. Mine would have shaken that saddle off. :>)))

07-Jun-23
Never saw it this bad before, I'm in the Northeast corner of Pa.. Like someone stated earlier everything looks yellow.

07-Jun-23
It got worse this afternoon- visibility down to 1/2 mile and smoke is burning the nostrils and eyes again! : (

You folks out west may be used to this, but we just don’t have fires in the East big enough to produce conditions like this!

Hard to believe this is from fires 500+ miles from here!

07-Jun-23
Just saw on the news that air traffic shut down for awhile in LaGuardia It will go away

07-Jun-23

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Sunrise this morning, central Mass.

07-Jun-23
Lots of haze and it smells like a smoldering firepit here on Long Island.

07-Jun-23
We deal with it every summer all summer long here in Idaho. Thanks to CA, WA, and OR.

07-Jun-23

Rut Nut's Link
Even affecting MLB...........

AAA games in Scranton and Lehigh Valley too

08-Jun-23
Please follow the advice of the authorities and avoid being outside. I hope things get better soon ??. I read an article on this topic on this student help service. This is very dangerous for your health and safety. If you are forced to leave the house, be sure to wear a mask and goggles to protect your airways and eyes from smoke

08-Jun-23
I wonder if the folks in government will try to ban trees to protect us from wildfires.

08-Jun-23
They will probably want to ban matches and lighters because they cause fires...........................you know, like they want to ban guns.....................................because THEY kill people! ;-)

08-Jun-23
Purposely lit to blame on climate change is my guess. They have to justify the new taxes they are imposing on the people of Canada.

08-Jun-23
I agree with that Spike

Gov. Of New York was almost giddy when suggesting that we start masking up again

There really is no doubt that liberalism is horrible disease

08-Jun-23
Callum, don’t forget your helmet

08-Jun-23
I just read a WNBA game(indoors) was postponed last night in Brooklyn. And my buddy said his son who works (indoors) in Philly was sent home early yesterday and told NOT to come in to work today.....................this(the reaction to the poor air quality) is becoming rediculous! : (

08-Jun-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
A rough afternoon in New York….
A rough afternoon in New York….
Guys…. Seriously?? That timber is drier’n a popcorn fart, and you think it’s some kind of Liberal Whack-Job Conspiracy which has caused a rash of fires which all started over a relatively short period of time….

08-Jun-23

And within the past hour in NoDak…

It’s more than a little disturbing to see sensible people tossing something as basic as the laws of probability right out the window because - God save us all!! - they might otherwise have to concede that someone they disagree with might actually have a bit of a point…..

News Flash For No One At All: Long-term drought + Long-term fire suppression = abundant, easily ignited fuel in the woods; Add lightning and bring marshmallows.

08-Jun-23
Corax

Stop with your bias. There is very real reason for concern that MANY of these fires in Canada were set on purpose by arsonists. People have already been charged in Alberta for lighting forest fires this spring, with many investigations in process. Lightning maps also disprove what you are implying.... no lighting, and many unexplained fires.

09-Jun-23
You know, news media did not give a rip about air quality in East Palestine rail disaster. But now it's New York, well.......

09-Jun-23
"You know, news media did not give a rip about air quality in East Palestine rail disaster. But now it's New York, well....... "

I don't know what news you watched but it was very well covered nationally and locally here in southeast PA. And the air in New York was the worst ever recorded so, of course, that is newsworthy.

09-Jun-23
Phil, agreed - Im in MA, and the major Boston stations covered E. Palestine well. Cant speak for Denver or Bismark or whatever, but in the north east that was on the local news steadily.

09-Jun-23
The world does not evolve around the east coast, those that live there think it does.....

09-Jun-23
Do we now use any excuse to not go to work or school or wherever? Is the answer to every problem to shut down all activities? Last time I checked you have to breath whether you are in your house or in an office or in an arena. I understand skipping being outside in thick smoke but you still have to "be" inside whether it's at work or home.

09-Jun-23
Ground hunter,

I wish you were wrong. If it didn’t revolve around the east coast we’d never have liberals in the White House.

However…..I knew what you meant. The west can have blizzard after blizzard and it’s never mentioned. One bad snow east of the Mississippi and the world falls apart.

09-Jun-23
“One bad snow east of the Mississippi and the world falls apart.”

That’s because West of the river…. people know how to deal with it… so it’s not “News”, just Weather. ;)

09-Jun-23

SteveB's embedded Photo
My deck this morning looking east in northeast Ohio
SteveB's embedded Photo

09-Jun-23

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo

09-Jun-23
What's wrong with you people? Now we have regional squabbles over air quality? Who needs a community forum.

• Sitka Gear