Dale06 07-Jun-23
WV Mountaineer 07-Jun-23
Verdehunter3 07-Jun-23
Bake 07-Jun-23
Glunt@work 07-Jun-23
KY EyeBow 07-Jun-23
deerhunter72 07-Jun-23
06-Jun-23
Anyone got any ideas/opinions on safes? Any to stay away from and any place that will be straight up with info? Seems to be a lot of shady outfits out there. Probably keep some archery stuff in it as well.

Thanks

06-Jun-23
Fort Knox, or Liberty, stay away from the basspro models,. Go look and search you tube, lots of good videos on what to look for.

07-Jun-23
I'm partial to Liberty. Buy one with an actual combination lock/dial. No electronics. And get one bigger than you think you need. It fills up fast.

07-Jun-23
Be sure to ask about delivery and set-up.

07-Jun-23
"get one bigger than you think you need"

Yep, totally agree...

07-Jun-23
Just buy whatever safe you want get a couple cameras from Amazon that go to your phone and if someone breaks into your house you call the police. Any safe should be good enough to keep kids out.

07-Jun-23
I have a Liberty as well. I also should have followed advice given above on buying bigger than you need. You wont regret that decision in a couple years if you are anything like most of us here.

07-Jun-23
The devil is in the details. Most safe manufacturers make different models. The issues are, thickness of the wall steel, thickness of the door, number of locking bolts, and quality of the fire protection, if it’s a fire safe. I have American Security safes. Having said all that, any semi competent thief with a battery powered right angle grinder can go through the side of most safes in a minute. And I’m told that the fire protection in most safes is poor at best. So I’d plan on buying a safe for keeping the kids out and stopping the less than professional thief, which is most of them. Lastly as said above buy bigger than you think you need.

07-Jun-23
^^^^This^^^^. None made are totally impenetrable. But, fire rating is where you’ll be best served to research.

07-Jun-23
Superior safe co. They are pricier than the big box safes but well worth it. You get what you pay for.

07-Jun-23
I bought a Hollon. I really like it so far. The salesman who sold it to me was a part time firefighter. He told me that if you have a fire, doesn’t matter the safe, you’re gonna lose your stuff. Either the fire gets too hot, or the chemicals and spray the firefighters use get in and ruin it anyways.

If they say they’ll hold so many guns, cut that number in half. They won’t hold that many unless you’re a jigsaw and Tetris champion

07-Jun-23
After seeing pics of the contents of safes after the Marshall fire here in CO, I dont expect contents to make it through one. As above, my concern is kids and amature thieves so I have some less expensive ones.

07-Jun-23
I bought the biggest Liberty safe (64T, i think) I could get through Tractor Supply a few years ago. The only reason I could think of to buy a smaller one is that it would be somewhat easier to move. I was thinking this one wouldn't ever be moved by me again, but alas, it'll be moved in about 10 days. Seems to be pretty damn solid. If someone can break into it, then they've probably already killed me in the process, so I guess they can have it.......

07-Jun-23
I about drove myself crazy looking for a safe several years ago. In the end I decided that no matter what you buy, a determined/professional thief can get in pretty easy. I bought a 64 gun (HA!) Stack On and I like it ok. It's stuffed full and I could use another one. If I ever build a house, I will consider a hidden gun vault room/safe room.

• Sitka Gear