Beav 12-Jun-23
BigStriper1 12-Jun-23
Dirty D 12-Jun-23
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-23
ND String Puller 13-Jun-23
07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN finally drew a non-resident Nebraska paddlefish tag and would be making another trip back to Nebraska. Every year I spend nearly half the month of May on the Missouri R. chasing bighead carp as it's one of my favorite things. Hunt was going to be able to join me for a couple of days prior to the June 1st paddlefish opener. My buddy Bryce has a great setup and we would be bowfishing out of his boat for almost 10 days. Here is our crew to start the trip.

07-Jun-23
This will be fun! Thanks for sharing, Beav!

07-Jun-23
The fish are in TROUBLE! ;-)

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce and I would be entertaining my daughter and her boyfriend along with Josh Phlaster and his girlfriend Rachel. Great crew and great fun. Maddie and Jon the first evening doubled on a decent fish. Trip was off to a slow start and water temp was only 61 degree but we knew things would pick up and we were right.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce connected on a very solid fish and things were starting to look up.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Our buddy Matt and his two boys, Sage and Kale scored on a stud out of their boat. This one was one of Sage's best fish ever.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We floated into a nice school of fish and Bryce and I pointed out the big one. Everyone shot at it except Maddie. She shot 20 feet left of it. Turns out her fish was 5 lbs bigger than the "big one".

07-Jun-23

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Jon on his first bighead trip with a nice one.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Jon on his first bighead trip with a nice one.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We were starting to stack them and water temp was rising.

07-Jun-23
Looks like a blast!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Great fun!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The temps climbed into the low 90's and fish were getting active. It was just a matter of time until we find a real stud. Maddie and Josh with another solid eater.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Lots of solid fish were coming in the boat. Bryce doesn't miss often.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Josh and Rachel connect on a great fish and we were stoked. They however would get bigger in a short time.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Then it happened! Bryce and Josh spotted a fish deep and both fired quickly. Bryce yelled to me in the back of the boat, "get the gaff it's a big one!" He had one arrow between his eyes that stoned him so their wasn't much of a fight. Over 45 lbs! We take pics and celebrate a great fish and call Matt and Kale and to our surprise they had just shot a similar fish! We make plans to meet up and take more pics.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Matt and Kale had also doubled on their fish. We have the grill on the boat and have fish tacos on the beech while we take pics. Two great fish and great times! Hunt is itching to get on his plane to get here! He would be coming in tomorrow.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Great group photo! Josh loves to take quality pics!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
You know it's big when you see this!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The next day the water is glass and the fish are up. I leave at noon and head to the airport to pick Hunt up. While I am gone Bryce, Josh, and Rachel stack em up! Hunt and I make it back and they pick us up. Hunt is excited!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The next day the weather is perfect and we are into fish. Hunt sees this and knows he only has to wait one more day for paddlefish! Notice the bigheads feeding right with the paddlefish.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Hunt sees a deep fish and connects and the fight is on. We finally land him and it is a short super fat female weighing over 31 lbs. Great fish!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We find a hole loaded with fish and there are some big ones. We pick out a pig and all fire. Bryce and I have connected and she takes off. We land her and it is a 40 lber. Love this stuff!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
One of the best fish Bryce and I have ever doubled on.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Hunt caught a few smallmouth at camp and was having a blast!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Finally opening day of paddlefish was here. Hunt would be going in Matt's boat along with Matt's brother Yohn. In Bryce's boat we would have three first time paddlefish holders. Murph and his dad and our buddy Tom. It was going to be a great day! Time to get the boat ready to go!

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We look over several dozen paddlefish and Tom finally lets one rip and we have our first paddlefish. Minutes later Murph has a 30+ lber swim by and sticks it. Seconds later it's twin rolls up and Bob puts and arrow in it and the fight is on. It didn't take long and our three tags in our boat are filled. We head back out for bigheads after getting the paddlefish packed in ice.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We get a message Yohn had just shot one and there were a ton of fish up and Hunt was holding out.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Hunt finally saw the one he came here to get and makes a perfect shot. He brings the 40 lber to the boat and the last paddlefish tag is snapped. Hunt waited four years for this and he picked a great year to draw a tag. Heck of a fish buddy! I've ate paddlefish from a lake and not a real fan but these out of the river are superb eating.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We spend the next couple of days shooting bigheads and have a blast.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We would be taking some fish home but Hunt was especially excited to fly home with a cooler of meat. This stuff is about as good as it gets for fish.

07-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Just like that my 9 days on the river was over and Hunt would be flying back home. What a great time we all had and we are already planning the next one!! Thanks again Hunt for coming out!

07-Jun-23
Looks like a lot of fun... Enjoy...

Just curious on the paddlefish though, don't know if there are different subspecies but I thought they were protected, at least that is what I once watched on a nature program talking about how rare they were... My apologies if that is not correct...

07-Jun-23
Awesome stuff Beav! Great trip and the weather here has been absolutely fantastic the past couple weeks!

07-Jun-23
Z, not protected but highly regulated. The area Beav is fishing is one of the few remaining areas where the paddlefish naturally reproduces. Lots of fish, but limited archery tags and limited snagging tags. It is a border water that is regulated jointly by Nebraska and South Dakota.

07-Jun-23
Congrats on another amazing bowfishing adventure with family and friends Beav! Thanks for sharing!

Glad to see Hunt add a paddlefish to his bowfishing repertoire! Congrats Hunt!

07-Jun-23
You all are ruthless! What a great trip!

07-Jun-23
This is epic! Congratulations guys and great pics too! I want to do this one day

07-Jun-23
Good stuff! That looks like a BUCKET LIST thing for sure!

Those paddlefish are really COOL looking!

07-Jun-23
I’ve said it before, Beav you are a true ambassador for our sport. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats to all on a great trip.

07-Jun-23
I'd love to chase those bigheads some day! We have common carp here but they arent much for eating. Congratulations on your hunt!

07-Jun-23
Can't imagine much more fun than that. Thanks for the recap Beav!

Those are some serious bowfishing rigs, too!

07-Jun-23
Awesome and I’m sure no drinking was going on:)

07-Jun-23
Bowboy there was a lot to celebrate! ;)

07-Jun-23
Looks awesome!

07-Jun-23
Arrows flying everywhere! I like it:)

07-Jun-23
Looks like a hoot! WTG guys!

07-Jun-23
Outstanding all the way around!

07-Jun-23
Awesome story and pics! Thx for posting!!!

07-Jun-23
Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

07-Jun-23
Great group. No doubt you all had a blast. Any bourbon involved or just Busch Latte's?

07-Jun-23
Thanks for clarification Brotsky...

07-Jun-23
Looks like a great time with lots of action

07-Jun-23
Hammertime

—jim

07-Jun-23
I love it!!!!

07-Jun-23
MF Jones Jones!!

Some of my favorite people doing one of my favorite things! Can't wait to see Josh's video

07-Jun-23
Looks fun!

07-Jun-23
That looks like a great adventure.

One of these days I will draw another paddlefish tag. Hope to see them like in your photo. Water was so murky when I went I couldn't even see them lol.

Great job again guys and great fish too

07-Jun-23
Way too much fun!! Too bad Zach wasn’t there. He’s probably not having ANY fun up in Alaska….

07-Jun-23

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I have been a lot of places with my bow in my hand. You will be hard pressed to find a better time than on the river!!

Thanks Harlin , Matt and Bryce for the good times !! Since our first hunt together in 2017 we have had many adventures. One thing is always the same. Lots of laughs and lots of dead stuff!!

Will we missed you. Next year !!

07-Jun-23
Thanks for sharing looks like fun

07-Jun-23
Looks like a blast! I know squat about Paddledish but read an article about farming them for caviar becoming more popular. I guess sturgeon numbers being depleted has created a demand.

07-Jun-23
Great stuff guys…congrats on a great week.

07-Jun-23
Awesome Beav! Looks like a blast!

07-Jun-23
Wow!

07-Jun-23
Beav, Thanks for sharing. Which one is better eating....river paddlefish or bigheads?

07-Jun-23
Big heads hands down

08-Jun-23
Very cool

08-Jun-23
Very cool

08-Jun-23

08-Jun-23

Slabs

08-Jun-23

08-Jun-23

08-Jun-23
Way too much Fun---->

Thanks for sharing,

Robb

08-Jun-23
Are there any extra bones you need to deal with in those bighead fillets or are they like most other fish?

08-Jun-23
Bow fishing is a lot of fun. Enjoy

08-Jun-23
That looked like y’all had a blast ! Congrats on a boat full of fish and a tub full of fun !

08-Jun-23

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
midwest there are 5 rows of bones. We have our own method of making them boneless with out having to remove the skin side. We can make a pile of boneless fillets in a hurry. It does take some practice. Most important thing is to get the fillets on ice very soon on hot days. We carry the carcasses until we have a full barrel then stop at one of the fish cleaning stations and they have dumpsters for them.

08-Jun-23
This looks like too much fun! Nice work fellas!

08-Jun-23
Congrats on a fun trip! Those fish look so cool to me. I can't believe how big they get.

08-Jun-23
Awesome

08-Jun-23
Awesome that you eat them kinda sucks seeing a pile of dead fish not eaten even if they are just carp.

08-Jun-23
Awesome trip with an awesome bunch of people! And one heck of a nice pile of fillets ;-)

Definitely on my list to get over there. Kind of upside down this year and zero time to even make the attempt. Have all the gear for it that I got when I was thinking I could make it but so much keeps getting in the way.

08-Jun-23
When you doing the youtube fish cleaning video, Beav? ;-)

08-Jun-23
We did record one

08-Jun-23
Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing!!

08-Jun-23
I take it those Bigheads taste different than common carp?

08-Jun-23
Yes Zbone they are extremely different. These fish are plankton eaters and the meat is super white and mild.

08-Jun-23
The slabs of those big heads look like striper fillets. Nice and white. And, striper is some fine eating. So, I’m betting those big heads are delicious.

08-Jun-23
#lovethisthread

08-Jun-23
Sweet!!!

09-Jun-23
Another epic adventure! Congrats to all on some great fish and a great time!

10-Jun-23
Looks like a blast guys.

10-Jun-23
Thanks Beav...

12-Jun-23
How deep are the carp when you shoot? I am not used to shooting carp more than 1-3 feet deep.

12-Jun-23
How deep are the carp when you shoot? I am not used to shooting carp more than 1-3 feet deep.

12-Jun-23
They are usually in 6-8 foot of water but often times are feeding near the surface

12-Jun-23
Looks like you guys and gal’s had a blast. Had to be a great time for sure. Just wondering what kind and size of reels you were using and what kind of line. Hoping to get set up to doing some bow fishing myself. Thanks, Kurt.

12-Jun-23
Nice work fellas, I am so jealous of this thread... Thought for sure I'd be back out this year and could work on dialing in my Big Head game. Ended up having some medical/weird family issues throw a wrench in my schedule of important events. We're gonna be back next year for sure. My kids are mad we didn't make it, I'm gonna send them a link to this thread just to rub it in! Love it.

12-Jun-23
What's up guys? Other than the one can of Busch Light in the Big Head's mouth, no other evidence of a few celebratory drinks. On the wagon? Good job, great entertainment. My best, Paul

13-Jun-23
So awesome, thanks sharing Harlin!

• Sitka Gear