JTreeman 10-Jun-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 10-Jun-23
SteveB 10-Jun-23
Don K 11-Jun-23
pav 11-Jun-23
carcus 11-Jun-23
SteveB 12-Jun-23
10-Jun-23
I have an original delorme inreach se. Use it every trip, love the thing. Recently my dad talked about getting one for his fishing trips (took mine but wants his own). What benefits would the mini have over my se? I can get a brand new one for 140$. Now I see there’s a mini 2. Is it really worth an extra $200?

10-Jun-23
The Mini is more compact and weighs less of course. I also have a SE, but picked up the Mini primarily for cell phone compatibility. Much easier to text home with the Mini linked to my cell phone. Can't offer any experience with the Mini 2. I bought the Mini because it was a great deal compared to the Mini 2.

10-Jun-23
Pav, what do you mean linked to your cell phone? The SE links up also. Curious if I’m missing something.

10-Jun-23
There's also the messenger. Doesn't ha e all the features, but Bluetooth to your phone and is mostly for messaging and sos

10-Jun-23
I’m unclear as to the difference between the mini and mini 2. Can anyone shed some light on “improvements” in the 2? I did a quick search and seemed slight weight reduction and better battery life. Is that about the extent, or am I missing something?

—jim

10-Jun-23
I’ve been linking the yellow Garmin SE InReach to my iPhone via Eathmate app since I bought it in mid-2017. Sure makes texting faster, but the IR works fine stand alone.

Battery life on the Mini vs the SE was about half. Functionality was the same. Don’t know about the gen 2 mini.

10-Jun-23
Where can one pick a new one up for 140?

10-Jun-23

10-Jun-23

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo
Well I caved, to good of deal at $135 after my fleet farm rewards.

Don K. I found this one at fleet farm in cedar falls Iowa. It’s listed on their website, but finding a store with one seems to be an issue.

10-Jun-23
I saw one advertised (less than $150) in the Bass pro or Cabelas weekly (monthly?) flier I get in the mail.

—jim

10-Jun-23
Treeman you got me l hyped up to go buy one even with zero use at the moment…. But they’re showing $250 now.

10-Jun-23

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
Fleet Farm on line right now.

11-Jun-23
Thanks, You cant add it to the cart at Fleet Farm though, saw it yesterday but wont let you add it. Looks like you have to find one in the store like mentioned.

11-Jun-23
"Pav, what do you mean linked to your cell phone? The SE links up also. Curious if I’m missing something."

Nope, appears that was a BIG miss on MY part. Bought the original Delorme Inreach SE when it first came out. Could not link it to my cell phone. I was using a Windows phone back then. By the time I switched to a Smartphone, the Mini was all the rave. Based on previous failures, pairing the SE to the Smartphone never even crossed my mind. I've never been much of a tech guy...and this is a prime example. Feeling a bit inept with this post...but it is an honest post!

11-Jun-23
I have the garmin 66i, it works great, I like the option that i can text from the unit without using my phone, I usually use my phone though, but if something happens to my phone I can still send a message, Not sure you can do that with the mini? My good buddy bought the zoleo last year for our moose hunt, it was cheap and worked great, again its a unit that works with your cell phone

12-Jun-23
Pav, no issue at all! Just wondering if I was missing something.

I have the SE, but am thinking of upgrading to the new Messenger. The Messenger is appealing because it is self contained and can use wifi, cellular and satellite lightweight, and has long battery life.. I would think that I can transfer my plan over from the SE (which always worked great BTW)

• Sitka Gear