Jaquomo 30-Jun-23
Blood 30-Jun-23
Jaquomo 30-Jun-23
wv_bowhunter 01-Jul-23
Bowfreak 01-Jul-23
t-roy 02-Jul-23
Jaquomo 02-Jul-23
30-Jun-23
This is a follow-on to my previous thread, which received many helpful (and some not so helpful) responses..

I bought the primer pen and do everything they say. Press it on a paper towel until a little saturates the tip, swipe it down the vane, let it "dry" for 10 seconds. But there doesn't appear to be any primer going onto the vane. I get the exact same effect swiping it with a dry Qtip.

I called AAE and they said this is normal. Is it really? And if so, why is there no visible primer being applied to the vane, or my finger tip. Is the primer just an inside joke to get another $16 out of us?

30-Jun-23
It’s acetone. It evaporates almost on contact.

30-Jun-23
Thanks. If I'd known that I could have saved some $.

30-Jun-23
Normal.

30-Jun-23
Blood and Charlie x2

30-Jun-23
It is not just acetone. Acetone may work just as well for AAE vanes, but the primer pen is not just acetone.

Lou,

Are you expecting it to leave a residue on the vane?

30-Jun-23
If it's the same primer as the TAC primer, it's not acetone as mentioned. It's also way thinner than water so you won't see it on a vane.

30-Jun-23
Thanks, guys. I was expecting to see some sort of moisture or any evidence that something was being applied, if even for a fraction of a second. As it is, it seems exactly the same as swiping with a dry Qtip.

30-Jun-23
Jaq, when you depress the primer on a paper towel so that the tip pushes upwards to release the primer, you will see a wet spot. Are you getting that?

30-Jun-23
Agreed....you should see a wet spot.

Often, my primer pen actually dumps more primer out than I would like when I depress it on a vane.

30-Jun-23
Yes, there is a wet spot. Just nothing on the vane or my finger when I touch it immediately afterward. I tried depressing it slightly on a vane and it shot out all over.

30-Jun-23
Then you’re good!!

30-Jun-23
Thanks guys. I'll be back of my vanes start falling off!

01-Jul-23
I used the AAE system for the first time a couple of years ago and had the same concerns. So far, I have had great results though and am planning to finish out some more arrows real soon using it again.

01-Jul-23
Lou,

You are good to go. Use a CA glue with the pen and your vanes will literally weld onto the arrow.

One last thing to mention, you only apply primer to the vane you are working on. Don’t primer a bunch of vanes in advance.

02-Jul-23
If you just quickly tap the tip of the pen on the edge of the fletching, versus pushing it down, you won’t get a big shot of it. You might have to tap on a couple of spots and spread it, but it doesn’t make a mess.

02-Jul-23
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the tips!

• Sitka Gear