Shiras42 10-Jul-23
standswittaknife 10-Jul-23
McCree 10-Jul-23
standswittaknife 12-Jul-23
Footshooter 23-Jul-23
08-Jul-23

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
One of these days I can’t wait to go back! Unit 18 could not have been more fun for giant moose..

08-Jul-23

08-Jul-23

08-Jul-23
Oh yeah!!!!

08-Jul-23
Been twice, 2019 & 2022 with Papa Bear. Got a great bull both times. Can't imagine a better operation for diy moose.

Not a particularly scenic places, but loaded with moose. If you keep a quiet camp, hunt smart, be patient, you can kill them dang near in camp.

I do worry some about the amount of hunters Renfros is trying to push through. I have heard nearly 3 times as many as Papa Bear takes. Hope greed doesn't ruin a good thing.

08-Jul-23
"Hope greed doesn't ruin a good thing."

Unfortunately, greed always ruins a good thing.

09-Jul-23
I flew out of Bethel for my musk ox hunt in 2018. The local hotspot was the Blockbuster video store. Hadn’t seen one of those in well over a decade in the lower 48. Quite a little town!

09-Jul-23
I worked for AVEC, Alaska village electric coop my first year out of lineman school about 20 yrs ago , flew out of bethel a couple times to the villages never did a lot of exploring their in particular but didn’t see it as real pristine

09-Jul-23
My wife did multiple assignments there at the hospital as a traveling RN. I visited her at the end of one of her assignments, it would have been a much better time if I were there to hunt.

09-Jul-23
I flew that same “Army plane” with them for caribou back in 2002. Headed back for moose next year. We are looking forward to it.

09-Jul-23
That’s a beautiful plane.

09-Jul-23
Bethel is the place for big moose. Bone in is not fun but worth it.

10-Jul-23
Hey Danny, If I remember correctly there may be a hole in one of those antlers of your buddy's moose. :)

Yeah, I need to get back up there for #5.

10-Jul-23
Matt, that was from the 1st hunt! this one was clean... would love to go back.

10-Jul-23
My thoughts on Bethel?

I wish less people knew about that unit :>)))

The line at Renfros and Papa Bear would be shorter :>))))

10-Jul-23
Not much to look at as far as a town but I agree about the moose. Hunted there last year, 2022 and planning to return in 2025. We got weathered in on the return trip in Bethel and had the pleasure of spending a few extra days at the PB base camp. Couldn't ask for a more hospitable crew! Bethel itself was great if you like pizza, and you can have any beer in the house as long as it's an Alaskan.

12-Jul-23

23-Jul-23
Will be headed there in 6 weeks for the first time. Can’t wait to add to this thread when we get back.

• Sitka Gear